• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Operation Big Thunder: the Dole Whip Conspiracy COMPLETE

Hey, why are these warning bells going off?:rotfl2:

Are you kidding? Julie would kill me.

thats why you dont tell her it is a nudie beach you just say hey why are there so many people going over that rock wall, lets go checkit out, might be a great sight seeing location.:rotfl2: that wouldnt be a lie.
:laughing:

thats why you dont tell her it is a nudie beach you just say hey why are there so many people going over that rock wall, lets go checkit out, might be a great sight seeing location.:rotfl2: that wouldnt be a lie.
:laughing:

Except she reads this TR. :scared1:

Honey? It was all their idea!:duck:

What an awesome trip you have planned! I am very impressed! So, close to two weeks? That's great!

Also - woo hoo for the Aulani waitlist coming through! :cool1: What a great way to start your trip.

This is going to be one trip that I will really be looking forward to reading about.

Wow, Mark! Your plans for the trip sound wonderful, I'm looking forward to your report!

Looks like you've put together some really great plans for the Hawai'i trip!!! :banana: I can't wait to read all about it! :goodvibes

Well.....we originally were planning on going for our 10th anniversary. And then Scotty happened.
Okay, I was scrolling back through and this comment jumped out at me and I couldn't help but think it would make a great T-shirt!!! :thumbsup2

What an awesome trip you have planned! I am very impressed! So, close to two weeks? That's great!

I think the total time in Hawaii is 2 weeks + 1 day if my math is right. I'm taking close to 3 weeks off of work, which I've never done before. But hey, I earned the vacation time. And this may be the only time my family gets to Hawaii as a group. So we're doing it big.

Also - woo hoo for the Aulani waitlist coming through! :cool1: What a great way to start your trip.

We were thrilled with that news! We probably would have driven over just to see it anyway, but it'll be a thrill to stay there.

The funny thing is, it probably is less convenient from a traffic/travel standpoint. But we'll put up with it. :thumbsup2

This is going to be one trip that I will really be looking forward to reading about.

I just hope it doesn't turn into National Lampoon's Hawaii Vacation!

did she read it yet? i can go and delete my comments. :rotfl:

Well, she hasn't commented yet... :scratchin

Wow, Mark! Your plans for the trip sound wonderful, I'm looking forward to your report!

Thanks! We're really excited...I hope everything goes as planned.

Looks like you've put together some really great plans for the Hawai'i trip!!! :banana: I can't wait to read all about it! :goodvibes

Thanks Marv!

Okay, I was scrolling back through and this comment jumped out at me and I couldn't help but think it would make a great T-shirt!!! :thumbsup2

It could be a great excuse for just about anything!

...and then Scotty happened. :rotfl2::rotfl:

I think the total time in Hawaii is 2 weeks + 1 day if my math is right. I'm taking close to 3 weeks off of work, which I've never done before. But hey, I earned the vacation time. And this may be the only time my family gets to Hawaii as a group. So we're doing it big.

We were thrilled with that news! We probably would have driven over just to see it anyway, but it'll be a thrill to stay there.

The funny thing is, it probably is less convenient from a traffic/travel standpoint. But we'll put up with it. :thumbsup2

I just hope it doesn't turn into National Lampoon's Hawaii Vacation!

Well, she hasn't commented yet... :scratchin

Thanks! We're really excited...I hope everything goes as planned.

Thanks Marv!

It could be a great excuse for just about anything!

...and then Scotty happened. :rotfl2::rotfl:

Might make a Great thread title; And Then Scotty Happened! :thumbsup2

South of the Border. Named due to its location just south of the NC/SC border line, we started seeing the famous billboards once we hit North Carolina. And if you've never heard of the famous billboards, here's a brief rundown: they're everywhere. They're gaudy. And they're usually full of terrible puns. In short, Barry would love them. Here's an example:

sausage.jpg

I’ve driven past this tourist trap several times in my life, and never once had the guts to stop. Every time we go by, the parking lot looks empty, and I wonder how the place can stay in business wallowing in its eternal crappiness. And yet somehow, it survives.

SoB started as just a beer stand in 1949 as the NC county just to the north was a dry county and it wasn't until the mid-50's that it started to turn into a "tourist mecca" ;)

When I was in college back in the late 60's one of my friends at school was from Dillon, SC (the closest town to SoB). His uncle (also lived in Dillon) was the one that built that beer stand and developed it into SoB. When this friend was growing up in the 50's he spent alot of time over at his uncle's with a couple of cousins around his age. Once or twice a month a black Caddy with NJ plate would show up at his uncle's house and some nice Italian gentlemen would get out and carry a suitcase into the house. When these gentlemen arrived his aunt would make all the kids go outside to play (and stay outside until they left). They usually only stayed about a half hour and then would leave carrying the same suitcase that they arrived with.

So you can draw your own conclusions as to how SoB was financed and why it didn't necessarily have to make a profit to stay in business.

His uncle was very well connected politically in SC and I am sure it was just coincidence that I-95 was routed right by S0B. ;)

:rotfl::rotfl2::lmao:

I love it! I'm going to have to remember that one. :thumbsup2

SoB started as just a beer stand in 1949 as the NC county just to the north was a dry county and it wasn't until the mid-50's that it started to turn into a "tourist mecca" ;)

When I was in college back in the late 60's one of my friends at school was from Dillon, SC (the closest town to SoB). His uncle (also lived in Dillon) was the one that built that beer stand and developed it into SoB. When this friend was growing up in the 50's he spent alot of time over at his uncle's with a couple of cousins around his age. Once or twice a month a black Caddy with NJ plate would show up at his uncle's house and some nice Italian gentlemen would get out and carry a suitcase into the house. When these gentlemen arrived his aunt would make all the kids go outside to play (and stay outside until they left). They usually only stayed about a half hour and then would leave carrying the same suitcase that they arrived with.

So you can draw your own conclusions as to how SoB was financed and why it didn't necessarily have to make a profit to stay in business.

His uncle was very well connected politically in SC and I am sure it was just coincidence that I-95 was routed right by S0B. ;)

Now that's fascinating stuff! I had no idea it had such a sordid history. Thanks for giving us the back story!

Oh, and :welcome:

:lmao:

Hummm…
Even I’ve never heard that one. Interesting theory.
It would explain why out of all the states on the Eastern Seaboard, both Carolinas decided to route the east coast interstate better then 100 miles inland away form the nearest sea inlets and right smack through their least populated areas. There was nothing along I-95 here when it was first built and now nearly fifty years later, there’s still nothing along I-95 between VA and GA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter