Ooh Boy!! Magic Bands!! Can I trim mine?

StormyCA

Chief Troublemaker
Pretty self explanatory. Our MB arrived today. It's waaaayyy big, but punching out just the pink part would make it a tight-ish fit.

Can I trim off the excess grey strap part?

I realize this may seem a silly question to WDW regulars, but this is my first (and probably only) trip to the World and I'm absolutely paranoid about something going 'wrong'.

Yes, you can trim your MB. All the inner workings are located where the Mickey head is located.

Sure. The gray part doesn't have anything in it. That's why it can be torn off to fit kids.

Pretty self explanatory. Our MB arrived today. It's waaaayyy big, but punching out just the pink part would make it a tight-ish fit.

Can I trim off the excess grey strap part?

I realize this may seem a silly question to WDW regulars, but this is my first (and probably only) trip to the World and I'm absolutely paranoid about something going 'wrong'.

Yes--that is the intent of the gray part. Removable for those with tinier wrists. We have removed several in our household and the bands work fine. As stated, the functioning part is by the Mickey.

I never thought about trimming it!

I need the black part removed as well because it's way too big, but I prefer the look of it intact.

I would be concerned of getting a smooth cut though. You wouldn't want anything jagged and scratchy irritating your wrists.

I always cut 3 holes off of mine. If there are sharp places, you can use a nail file to smooth it.

I just trimed mine because I liked the two-tone look. I used sharp scissors and sandpaper to make it comfortable.

I figured we'd use an exacto-knife. Thanks for the suggestions for filing the edges.

Trim the edges kind of rounded. Like a Bandaid. I always have to trim mine for a nicer fit.

There is an antenna running through part of the band. I'm not sure how it extends in either direction, but this picture shows a cut through the edges of the band (far enough out to be where the holes are) and you can see the antenna. That's part of the long range RFID component.

making-the-band-013.jpg

Yikes! Do you remember how many inches you'd cut off?

I guess I'll start by just cutting a bit at a time.

Yikes! Do you remember how many inches you'd cut off?

I guess I'll start by just cutting a bit at a time.

I would assume that the person who took that picture (I'm guessing it wasn't Richard M Nixon due to the website address printed on it) intentionally cut it down that far in order to see the insides.

Yeah that isn't my picture, it's from a teardown of the band, but judging from the rest of the pictures I'd say they cut it down so only 3-4 notches were left on the band. You probably won't go that far, but just an FYI. If you do cut into the antenna, it's only the long range RFID (used for ride photos and food delivery at BOG) and even that part will probably still work when partially damaged.

It never dawned on me to cut mine down - thank you for the advice! I don't want it so small that I would tear off the grey part. But I just cut off some of the excess (about 4 holes' worth) and it is much more comfortable that way.

Yeah that isn't my picture, it's from a teardown of the band, but judging from the rest of the pictures I'd say they cut it down so only 3-4 notches were left on the band. You probably won't go that far, but just an FYI. If you do cut into the antenna, it's only the long range RFID (used for ride photos and food delivery at BOG) and even that part will probably still work when partially damaged.

The OP is only cutting down the black part of the band, therefore, since that part is removable there would be no antenna to worry about. She won't be cutting anywhere near what that picture is showing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter