On site vs "nearly Disney"

mrsgthatsme

Mouseketeer
We are traveling to WDW in November w my husband, children, brother, and my parents. We were planning to stay on site at PO but my mom has been lobbying for a nearby hotel like Homewood Suites etc. I still really feel strongly about staying at a Disney resort but would like to hear your reasons for preferring one over the other.

Well, off site is cheaper. Homewood, Staybridge, etc. also usually have breakfast included. If you have a car offsite (that you maybe wouldn't have on property,) you can go to any of the offsite restaurants.

That's about what it comes down to. Offsite can cost less money. It's really personal preference, no right or wrong answers. In fact, there's many people here who wouldn't dream of staying on property if the resort wasn't on the monorail loop.

We are traveling to WDW in November w my husband, children, brother, and my parents. We were planning to stay on site at PO but my mom has been lobbying for a nearby hotel like Homewood Suites etc. I still really feel strongly about staying at a Disney resort but would like to hear your reasons for preferring one over the other.

Personally, I would rather just not go than stay offsite. For me, a lot of the "magic" is in the resort experience and being inside the bubble. Yes, it can be cheaper, but if I need/want a cheaper vacation I'll go to the beach somewhere.

Staying offsite it could take longer to get to the parks, you have to drive and pay for parking (some hotels offer shuttle service though), no EMH.

This is one of those things that doesn't have a definitive answer. We've stayed both onsite and offsite and there are advanatages and disadvantages to both. I've never been of the mindset that you can't have a good Disney vacation without staying onsite.

Cost is obviously a huge factor. A few years ago, we rented a condo in nearby Windsor Hills in late August for about $800 including taxes and fees. That was for two full weeks. The place was beautiful, had a great community pool and each kid had their own bedroom rather than the four of us cramming into a hotel room. The cost would have translated into about 3 nights at Disney. I know I have to add in car rental, parking, etc., but there was still a huge saving. Another nice thing having a car is the ability to have as many meals as you like outside the bubble. Again, a significant savings and there's a large variety of fun restaurants outside WDW. I also don't buy the argument that it always takes longer to get to the parks. That's sometimes true, but there are plenty of places that are just as close, especially if you factor in the random waiting for a Disney bus time. I will say, if you do stay offsite, absolutely get a car.

We've also stayed onsite, but not for long periods of time. The theming, of course, is superior. Disney resorts, especially the mods and deluxes, are stunningly beautiful. I'd also say if you spend a lot of time at the resort vs. in the parks, it might be better to stay onsite. You also get the extended FastPass window, if that's important to you. Plus if you don't want to deal with driving, you can avoid renting a car (if you want, but you get free parking at the parks if you do). Magic Express is a great perk. The main drawbacks onsite are the expense and the inability for the most part for a family to spread out into separate bedrooms, suites, etc. That's more of an issue as the length of the trip increases.

We always stay onsite, but there are only 2 adults. So a room is okay for us.
I've found that the things we valued by staying onsite might be going away in the future. If that is true, we will opt for the cheaper (but nicer) offsite stays. If Disney starts charging for DME, parking, wifi, shortening the EMH days and charging for them (which they are going to do), then we will rethink the perks of staying onsite. Sure the resorts are beautiful, but you can visit them even if offsite, right? We don't use the parking, wifi, only use the DME. That is one of our main reasons for booking onsite. My husband doesn't like to drive on vacation (esp in Fla), and I don't want to cook, so it fits us, at least for Now!
If Disney continues on this road of nickel and diming us for things we always got for free as an incentive to stay onsite, then we are rethinking our vacations. Perhaps a condo/house rental and visiting all the other wonderful attractions/sites in Florida. Sad, but true.

If you have a car offsite isn't so bad. With that many people I would look into renting a condo or a house nearby. Cost will probably end up being similar to the Homewood option. <- again if you decide to go the offsite route.

For me the biggest negative to staying off site is that it seriously limits the ability to split up. When you are on Disney property it is so easy for one or two people to head back to the resort if they are tired, or want to swim, or whatever. Staying off site it would mean either waiting on a shuttle that doesn't come nearly as often as a Disney shuttle, or using taxis.

Don't forget staying off site you also lose all the perks--booking FP+ at 60 days out, being able to book your ADRs all right when you hit 180 days out, having packages sent back to your resort, magical express, the dining plan.

When our DS9 was younger we stayed off site (now this was before all the my magic + stuff)...that being said yes staying off site was WAY WAY WAY cheaper, plus we got good deals in those condo timeshare resorts so much bigger rooms as well. With that being said though it was always a hassle to get to and from the parks...we were lucky if we went on 3 rides a day and the trips just seemed like too much work for us. On those trips I would be sitting on the monorail going to MK and secretly envying the people at the grand Floridian and the poly lol. They just all looked so happy and relaxed and here I was exhausted already and it was only 8 in the morning lol. I know it sounds silly but totally true story lol.

Anyways when I was pregnant with my second DS my hubby said we could go back to Disney when he would be around 8 months old. We decided it would be best to stay at a monorail resort Bc it was easier with a baby. After we stayed contemporary I don't think we will ever go back to off site again. It was just so easy and so relaxing and with the new FP and the dining plan I don't think I would know how to plan a Disney trip that was off site lol...anyways if u can afford to stay on site then I would stay on site just for the convenience

We have stayed three times at Buena Vista Palace. It is right across the street from downtown disney. (Literally right across where we just jump across the road and end up at the bus terminal and front entrance. This hotel we got for around 80 dollars a night every time we went. They had free shuttles that ran every 30 minutes to all of the parks and if we wanted to go to the waterparks or resorts we just walked across the street and used Downtown Disneys bus. We have never stayed on property (but are going to this summer for the first time) We love the Buena Vista Palace because its right across from downtown disney and almost every night we walked there as a way to unwind after a crazy day and we still felt like we were in the disney loop because we were able to use disney transportation. The rooms were cheaper then a value resort but felt like a moderate/deluxe room. The pool is pretty awesome and its a beautiful hotel. The only cons we thought of were that we didn't get to use the extra magic hours, disney theming, or have a magic band. It still felt like we were in the disney bubble though!

I never listen to extended family or in laws when planning Disney. They don't know what we know about how to do Disney. Stick to your guns and do what you feel is best without compromise.

I dont go to Disney to save money. If that were a factor I'd stick with Wisconsin Dells.

With a large group, you will find off site very inconvenient. Transportation will be the biggest issue. And, yes I've stayed off site many times, and I've enjoyed it a lot.

The transportation will become tedious though!

On site, you will have much more flexibility to come and go as you wish. The older folks may want to go back to the room for a break during the day, but maybe not all of you will want that. Or some may want to get up and out early, while others want to sleep in.

Also, will you want to be together 24/7? Trust me, you don't want that! Been there, done that. Not doing it again. Ever.

You will likely want to do some things together and split up as well. I'd suggest on site, within your budget, and plan one time a day to meet up, like for lunch or dinner.

Could you do a comprimise and do a split stay? Start off with offsite and have some nights at POR at the end? We often do spilt stays between Disney resorts. We like to mix it up!

Plus going to MK you have to park at the TTC and then transfer to a boat or monorail to get to MK. That stunk and it took us forever on our first trip offsite after the fireworks. Even though you have to wait for a bus when onsite it is much quicker and its one wait onto bus and back to hotel.

I recommend Bonnet Creek Hilton. They have reasonable prices, a complimentary shuttle to the parks (though their hours aren't as long or frequent as Disney buses), a fantastic pool complex that includes a long lazy river, and they're on Disney property, very close to Pop Century. You won't get Disney perks because they aren't a Disney hotel, but you will get a very nice place to stay right at Disney World for a reasonable price. Here's a link to their website:

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/hilton-orlando-bonnet-creek-ORLHHHH/index.html

I like staying onsite, but only deluxe or the campsites (we're a Scout family). We're just not into staying in motel rooms, and that is basically what the values and moderates are. I wouldn't feel good about making my mother stay in one of those rooms, particularly if she said she didn't want to. I also wouldn't want to pay for a deluxe if I couldn't really afford it.

The biggest issue with a group your size staying offsite is not being able to get to/from the resort on each person's own timetable. What happens when your 6 year old melts down and you need a break? What happens when you parents want to sleep in? What happens when you brother wants to close the parks while everyone else wants to go back and rest? If you're all in the same car, someone is going to be unhappy and want to go or leave at a different time than another family member. Or pay for a taxi to get somewhere, cutting into your offsite savings.

I know it's attractive to pay less than $100 at a Hampton Inn and get breakfast v/s $200+ for POR. What about one of the All Stars? They really are not all that bad and everyone will be able to take Disney transportation and you'll save on a rental car (or two), taxis and parking.

For me the major difference is space. We need room to spread out after all day at the parks. That's why we prefer offsite.

FWIW, I think offsite if perfectly OK if it were just the OP's immediate family. The kids go where the parents go and you only need one car. It's completely different when you add an adult sibling and grandparents to the mix. You essentially have 3 autonomous groups that have to stay joined at the hip.

The biggest issue with a group your size staying offsite is not being able to get to/from the resort on each person's own timetable. What happens when your 6 year old melts down and you need a break? What happens when you parents want to sleep in? What happens when you brother wants to close the parks while everyone else wants to go back and rest? If you're all in the same car, someone is going to be unhappy and want to go or leave at a different time than another family member. Or pay for a taxi to get somewhere, cutting into your offsite savings.

I know it's attractive to pay less than $100 at a Hampton Inn and get breakfast v/s $200+ for POR. What about one of the All Stars? They really are not all that bad and everyone will be able to take Disney transportation and you'll save on a rental car (or two), taxis and parking.

That's why you should stay offsite at a hotel like Bonnet Creek Hilton or Waldorf that has a complimentary shuttle. Stay on Disney World property in more spacious, comfortable lodging than is available onsite, save money, and utilize the free shuttles so that different family members can go home at different times.

Bonnet Creek Hilton often costs about the same as a value. There is no comparison in terms of comfort, cleanliness and anemities- HBC beats a value or moderate hands down, and is also very convenient. Onsite isn't always better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter