Omnimover rides with a toddler

KrazeeK120

DIS Veteran
This might win an award for strangest question ever on the boards, but here goes...

We are going to Disney in May with our son, who will be 18 months old. Having never had a toddler before, I'm trying to figure out if kids, at that age, can grasp how to step onto an omnimover. We definitely want to do rides like Peter Pan, Little Mermaid, Nemo, etc. I don't really feel comfortable carrying him in this situation for 2 reasons. One, I have 2 left feet. I trip over things in my house on an almost daily basis. You'd think my furniture and walls re-arrange themselves or something! Second, my son is a big kid. At 9 months, he is around 23 pounds. I only weigh 110 myself. A clumsy mom carrying a squirmy, heavy toddler just seems like a recipe for disaster. My husband will probably be with us most of the time, but we might split up some to ride the "big" rides.

I appreciate any help, and sorry if this is a crazy question!!!!

I would hold his hand, but as long as he's stable normally walking I imagine he could do it. Though you'll probably still have to lift him into many of the ride vehicles.

I am a clumsy girl too but had no problems on similar rides in DLP. I just led my daughter by the hand and let her get into the ride vehicle 1st. It really is not as bad as you are thinking it will be. You'll be fine x

I guess it depends how stable of a walker he is at that age. You can try holding their hand, but you may find it easier to have your husband just carry him if you're worried about doing it yourself. As has been said, someone will still probably have to help him into the ride car anyway.

Toddlers vary widely, but most are walking by 18 months. He should be able to board most omnimovers by then. Pater Pan comes to mind as perhaps slightly more challenging.

He might also need a little help climbing out of the boat-style attractions (PotC), but probably more hand holding than anything else. Oh, and the MK lagoon shuttle boats are another place he will probably need extra help.

The buses might sometimes be a bit high for him. I think almost all WDW buses are now the kind that lower (for disabled guests) but if they use the older buses, those are a bit higher off the ground.

Mostly if he did need lifting, it would just be a quick little lift. You wouldn't have to carry him very far.

The one time you could end up carrying him would be if he fell asleep (during a movie or show), or you were in any area where you have to wait a long while with no place to sit. The preshow area of Hall or Presidents and (during) the China movie come to mind.

Much also depends on his personality. Some kids are fearless, others are reluctant.

Do you have somewhere locally that you can go and 'practice' on an escalator? Might ease your concerns.

Ive always picked up my toddlers and carried them on the OmniMovers. At least IME, toddlers aren't all that stable on their feet.

I know able bodied adults who have difficulty getting on some of the rides. One issue is moving sidewalks. Some of the rides have them, and keeping your balance when you first step on them can be hard, especially considering there is usually nothing to hold on to (I know you will be holding hands, but still no handrails often). The other issue is the fact that you are in the middle of a crowd of people and people just keep going. A small child, or even an adult, who hesitates is going to clog up the flow of people. You gotta keep moving! Mainly it depends on the kid, my kids were not scared of much at that age but I would still worry if they hesitated getting on a ride, I would be ready to scoop them up just to keep us moving!

When my DD was a toddler I was about 95lbs & I'm 5ft, so I get where you're coming from. But my advice would still be to carry him. At 18 months, he might not be ready for the moving walkway. You'll be fine. It's amazing what all of us Moms can do.

There are a few tracks that almost knock me over..............leaving haunted mansion and little mermaid. Those two just seem to have an extra kick that catches me off guard sometimes.

There are a few tracks that almost knock me over..............leaving haunted mansion and little mermaid. Those two just seem to have an extra kick that catches me off guard sometimes.

YES! They move very quickly.

Not such a strange question! My niece and nephew were both quite hesitant and unsteady on those even at 2.5 and 4. They are extremely timid in the first place and between that and the lights, sounds, crowds, unstable moving sidewalks, you are right to be prepared! I second the suggestion to practice on escalators if possible and always be prepared to scoop up the kiddo if needed. I am clumsy and had a few wobbles getting on/off those when my kids were smaller, but never a real near fall or anything.

P.S. I do think "strangest question you've ever seen on the DIS" would make an excellent new thread! :)

Hmm, I'm 90lbs and my son is about 30lbs now. I would hold him and lift him when needed on the platform? (Like little assisted hops with your hands under his armpits?) Does that make sense? :)

We've had the Omnimovers stopped for us twice when DS (Age 3) closed the lap bar on Little Mermaid before we could get in and then (Age 4) on Buzz when he tried to bolt into a different vehicle because he liked it better than the one we were on for some reason. So know that they can do that if need be although obviously you would rather not stop the ride for everybody. I would plan to have your DH carry him as much as often possible. You can sit 3 in a row on all the Omnimovers. Agree with PP about little assisted hops onto the belt when needed. Once they're on the moving belt littles can usually walk without a problem.

Thanks for all of the tips and reassurance, everyone! I swear sometimes I worry about the strangest things. I've been to Disney a lot, but never with a child, and I feel like I'm going on an entirely different vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter