• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Old Fashioned" FP AND FP+?

southern_belle21

Always dreaming of Disney
From what I am reading, and (halfway) understanding, everyone who is getting to participate in Magic Band and FP+ testing, also gets to use "old fashioned" FPs when their FP+ windows are done. I'm just wondering how this is going to affect those of us who are still just using the old FP system? FP times going to be gone much earlier? We like to get there at park opening most of the time, but it WOULD be nice to hang around the resort in the morning and not have to worry about getting to such and such park right at opening to do what we'd like to before it gets super busy, and is what it seems like FP+ is allowing. I'm kinda bummed that we aren't able to utilize it it this trip. Don't get me wrong though, we're VERY EXCITED about our trip, and even more so now, because we are in the middle of moving! I guess I'm just overthinking things.

Yes, I agree with you. You know that there is a set number of fastpasses for any one attraction per day. Fastpass Plus will have already used a good number of those passes. And that means less of the normal fastpasses for everyone else, including those who got to use Fastpass Plus and then get to double dip! Thus those people not in the testing are going to have a hard time getting fastpasses especially for the big rides.

I really wish that Disney would just go live with this Magic Band and Fastpass Plus thing, so everyone will be on equal footing.

It's going to totally depend on when your trip is and how many resorts have been rolled into the test by then. As of right now the number of people using FP+ is so small that it's not taking too many "regular" FPs out of the system so the effect isn't too big. The more resorts that get rolled into FP+ though, the more of an effect it will have. Not to mention, the amount of people who know about being able to double dip is VERY small.

Oh, I hadn't even thought about people maybe being able to double dip. I really don't see how this FP+ is going to make for a more enjoyable experience for me. I don't want to have to decide weeks and weeks in advance which park I HAVE to go to on what day. I generally have an idea based on park hours where I want to go but I like to be able to change my plan at the last minute depending on weather and/or other events I may hear about. And if all the FP's are going to be hogged up and I have to wait in line for 60 minutes give or take to ride rides, I'm not sure Disney is going to continue to be the vacation I have come to know and love. :guilty:

Reports in August thus far indicate that the number of FP+ users is so small that it's not having any appreciable effect.

As more resorts are added to the testing in September and beyond, however, it remains yet to be seen what the effect will be.

I'm staying tuned in to the FP+ report threads to see what the impact might be by the time of our November trip.

We are going to WDW next month and were chosen for FP+. I am a planner so I have enjoyed the option to set up FP in advance, BUT I have also been driving myself crazy and secon guessing "routes". It will definitely take the spontaneousness out of the experience. I cant imagine utilizing the regular FP since yhe times might not mesh with my FP+ times. I think it would be a hassle. You get 4 FP+ for MK and 3 for all the other parks per day. I have al the major rides booked. We are doing 2 days in MK, so 8 FP+ seem to cover it all. Not sure yet if FP+ is a blessing or a curse for people who obsess and over plan. Lol

By reading the posts for those invited to test in September and October, it seems like a lot of resorts are being added and the number of people who will be using the new systems are definitely increasing. I think that the mid to late October guests are the ones who will really feel cheated (yes, I'm at a non-testing resort late October). Especially since rumors have it that the system will go live on November 1st for everyone.

Don't get me all worried! We're going to be at Coronado in September which is not a FP+ hotel.

I really wish that Disney would just go live with this Magic Band and Fastpass Plus thing, so everyone will be on equal footing.

I agree! I have pretty much all of my friends who are going down around the same time as we are, and after us who are getting their Magic Bands, and making FP+ choices. I think they're going to have to work out the kinks regardless, so why not just open it up to EVERYONE? I do have a friend of mine who is a CM, who I was just talking to today who said that they're having issues with all of it, and FP+ was causing problems already! She said that they other day it gave out too many FPs and caused FP lines to be up to an HOUR LONG wait!

It's going to totally depend on when your trip is and how many resorts have been rolled into the test by then. As of right now the number of people using FP+ is so small that it's not taking too many "regular" FPs out of the system so the effect isn't too big. The more resorts that get rolled into FP+ though, the more of an effect it will have. Not to mention, the amount of people who know about being able to double dip is VERY small.

We'll be coming in next weekend on the 7th. I know for a fact that they're testing at our resort, but it's just one side, and not the side we're staying in (because I spoke with someone over MDE about this). The number of people using it may be small, but I'm sure it will affect all numbers of FPs in general. Right now in my little group of Disney friends (those of us who have trips coming up), Magic Bands and FP+ seem to be every 2 out of 3 families lol. So, yes, I'm sure it may seem very small in comparison, but to those of us who don't have the slight advantage of this new system, it seems like a lot!

By reading the posts for those invited to test in September and October, it seems like a lot of resorts are being added and the number of people who will be using the new systems are definitely increasing. I think that the mid to late October guests are the ones who will really feel cheated (yes, I'm at a non-testing resort late October). Especially since rumors have it that the system will go live on November 1st for everyone.

me too checking into POFQ, October 19. was hoping to use FP+ and when I read that our resort is not testing in October I was disappointed but thought "OK, we can pull as many FP as we can/want and the FP+ can only get the 3/day day that the system allows". that was some consolation until I realized that the FP+ users get to do both. SO totally wrong to allow both. and now I do feel cheated and pretty mad; sure doesn't make this vacation feel very magical.

Yes, I agree with you. You know that there is a set number of fastpasses for any one attraction per day. Fastpass Plus will have already used a good number of those passes. And that means less of the normal fastpasses for everyone else, including those who got to use Fastpass Plus and then get to double dip! Thus those people not in the testing are going to have a hard time getting fastpasses especially for the big rides.

maybe there will be a few FP left for us "second class citizens" who are stuck with FP and can't double dip like so many others.

scard192 said:
me too checking into POFQ, October 19. was hoping to use FP+ and when I read that our resort is not testing in October I was disappointed but thought "OK, we can pull as many FP as we can/want and the FP+ can only get the 3/day day that the system allows". that was some consolation until I realized that the FP+ users get to do both. SO totally wrong to allow both. and now I do feel cheated and pretty mad; sure doesn't make this vacation feel very magical.

So change to POR.

So change to POR.

You are making the assumption that we can change to POR using the FD PIN that we are currently booked under. I get that its all luck with which resorts are testing and which are not. Its allowing the FP+ people to use the old system as well that bothers me. If that wasn't happening it would be different.

maybe there will be a few FP left for us "second class citizens" who are stuck with FP and can't double dip like so many others.

I really don't think it will affect your trip at all. I'm testing at Pop right now and able to double dip because I know about it. Most of the people testing do not know they can use their KTTW card for regular fastpasses. Many people with fastpass+ do not understand it and are not using the system either, even though they are walking around with magic bands.

I have used both fastpass+ and regular fastpass each day, but I've never used my entire fastpass+ allotment in a day and I've used just a few fastpasses. Why? because there is just not enough time in the day when you factor in tired children, ADR's and the heat. So really, I don't think this will impact you at all.

We have been here since last Thursday staying at a non-test resort. We haven't seen any indication that fast passes are running out any faster with the fp+ testing we've been able to get fast passes for any ride we've wanted.

I really don't think it will affect your trip at all. I'm testing at Pop right now and able to double dip because I know about it. Most of the people testing do not know they can use their KTTW card for regular fastpasses. Many people with fastpass+ do not understand it and are not using the system either, even though they are walking around with magic bands.

I have used both fastpass+ and regular fastpass each day, but I've never used my entire fastpass+ allotment in a day and I've used just a few fastpasses. Why? because there is just not enough time in the day when you factor in tired children, ADR's and the heat. So really, I don't think this will impact you at all.

This! 1000X!

You have to remember that most of the people that go to Disney World are not insane like all of us. They have no idea what a Magic Band is, what FP+ stands for, etc. They will be frightened by the new system and will use the KTTW card. They won't want to download some app that at checkin that will allow them to spotaneously pick 3 rides each day of their trip.

We have been here since last Thursday staying at a non-test resort. We haven't seen any indication that fast passes are running out any faster with the fp+ testing we've been able to get fast passes for any ride we've wanted.

I think that when fastpasses run out, people just assume now its due to guests reserving fastpass+. In realty it's probably just a busy day.

A lot more resorts are being added (AoA and POR, others) that are not testing in August right? Seems like there will be more people using FP+ in September and October which will likely have an effect.

A lot more resorts are being added (AoA and POR, others) that are not testing in August right? Seems like there will be more people using FP+ in September and October which will likely have an effect.

But you will be amazed at the number of people who don't know or understand how to use the magicbands for fastpass+. Most people only use them to get into their room or the park or for charging privileges.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter