Old Disney Park photos

Disney1984259.jpg

Disney1984255.jpg

Thank you to everyone who posted pictures in this thread - I've had a blast the past two days looking at them. Brought back sooooo many memories, and things I'd forgotten. I am hoping to get my hands on all the WDW pictures from my childhood from my sister when I visit her (and WDW!) in Orlando next month.

I was trying to figure out where these two photos were taken. I believe the top one is taken from the bridge next to China looking toward the Outpost section of World Showcase. But I can't place the second one with the Aladdin puppeteer.

I was trying to figure out where these two photos were taken. I believe the top one is taken from the bridge next to China looking toward the Outpost section of World Showcase. But I can't place the second one with the Aladdin puppeteer.

I'm assuming they were both at DL?

:)

Jud

I agree with your assessment of the location of the first photo and since the wagon in the second photo says "Promenade Players" then that must be WS also. My guess would be to the left side of Germany where there is open space and large double doors in the fence where the wagon could have come in and out through.

Well, the back of the bus does say, "The Los Angeles." But as far as I can make it out, the side says, "World Showcase Transportation."

Ya- and I am also thinking now that that railing in the lower right of the image of the double decker is the bridge into Africa.

Jud

Ya- and I am also thinking now that that railing in the lower right of the image of the double decker is the bridge into Africa.

Jud

It is definitely the bridge going into Africa (moving from China in a counterclockwise manner), because the sign you see in the background is the sign announcing the Equatorial Africa pavilion that was "coming soon." Compare the font on it with the font used for Africa in this picture:

1-3-e1305504818748-300x231.jpg

If you zoom in closely enough, you'll see they match (even though zooming the photo with the bus gets really grainy). Also, on the right you see a sign that (I think) says "Artisans of Africa" and "Africa" appears to be the same, or a very similar, font.

It is definitely the bridge going into Africa (moving from China in a counterclockwise manner), because the sign you see in the background is the sign announcing the Equatorial Africa pavilion that was "coming soon." ... Also, on the right you see a sign that (I think) says "Artisans of Africa" and "Africa" appears to be the same, or a very similar, font.

Nice catch!

Jud

I agree with your assessment of the location of the first photo and since the wagon in the second photo says "Promenade Players" then that must be WS also. My guess would be to the left side of Germany where there is open space and large double doors in the fence where the wagon could have come in and out through.

I think we have a winner!!! I found this photo from another website depicting just that area.

2011epcotSWgreet4.jpg

Disney1984255.jpg

Looks like the landscaping area and tree behind the old Aladdin cart are now gone - replaced by a wishing well used for a Snow White meet and greet.

I think we have a winner!!! I found this photo from another website depicting just that area.

2011epcotSWgreet4.jpg

Disney1984255.jpg

Looks like the landscaping area and tree behind the old Aladdin cart are now gone - replaced by a wishing well used for a Snow White meet and greet.

Ahhhh! The side!!! Yes! Snow White does M&G's there now!

Jud

It has taken me two days to go through this thread, but I have enjoyed every minute of it! How neat to see things the way they used to be. If only I had a time machine...

What is that last picture of? It looks like the place that Stitch is at now...well I never have been in Stitch but was in the alien one before that.

What is that last picture of? It looks like the place that Stitch is at now...well I never have been in Stitch but was in the alien one before that.

Before Alien Encounter, it was "Mission to Mars". The top is the queue area, Mission Control Center, which features animatronics and historic NASA footage of astronauts working aboard Skylab as the pre-show. The caption reads, "In the main cabin, passengers watch Earth fall rapidly away, as seat vibrations and subaudible waves simulate the spine-tingling sensations of lift-off. Seldom-seen close-ups reveal the surface of Mars, including photos taken by U.S Mariner 9."

I have that book and we love it! My kids love to look at it with me and ask all kinds of questions about what Disney World was like when I was a little girl. They really wish they could ride the old rides like 20,000 Leagues and Mr. Toad. So do I!:goodvibes

Oh man! Can you imagine having been there on opening day? Or was that al;l 10th celebration? Either way!

And that's the bloody Utilidors!!! Wow!

Jud

Thanks for that info. I never went on it before the Alien encounter....which to me was the scariest thing EVER!!!
Before that I was only like 4 when we visited and i don't think we went on that.

Before Alien Encounter, it was "Mission to Mars". The top is the queue area, Mission Control Center, which features animatronics and historic NASA footage of astronauts working aboard Skylab as the pre-show. The caption reads, "In the main cabin, passengers watch Earth fall rapidly away, as seat vibrations and subaudible waves simulate the spine-tingling sensations of lift-off. Seldom-seen close-ups reveal the surface of Mars, including photos taken by U.S Mariner 9."

And for a SHORT period when the park first opened, It was "Mission to the Moon". I want to say that the mission was changed from a Moon Shot to a Mars Shot in the mid-70's when Tomorrowland was expanded to include the WedWay, Space Mountain, and the Carousel of Progress. (Since Man stepped foot on the Moon in '69, by the early 70's when the MK opened a mission to the Moon was already old-news and not really something for "Tomorrow" land)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter