OKW THUMBS DOWN

Not sure what your life has been like this past year, but with what most people, including CMs have been through, I think it is only reasonable to understand that people, places and things are not... and will not be the same.

I have been twice since the reopening and overall very impressed with the dedication and professionalism of almost all CMs I have dealt with. Were there things I could complain about? Sure. But given the extraordinary effort put forth to accommodate guests keeping them safe at the same time, I think it would be petty.

But you need to be realistic and honor your feelings...if these things truly bother you, then right now WDW is not for you.
Did you miss the part where I said I am willing to give them a pass? I do understand the situation, but that doesn’t change the fact that WDW has taken a slight step down overall. Again, I am willing to give them a pass because of Covid. Hopefully things will be closer to normal when we come back in February.

We had a 2 bd rm in Feb..by HH. for a week...we were 6 adults.....I stay couldnt have been nicer!!!!! Rehabbed villas were gorgeous and Olivias' was great each time we went and also mobile ordering...service was great also....
pool, tennis courts,shuffle board......this sounds more like a housekeeping issue..dial 3 for them ...so sorry about your stay....after that we headed to BWV for a week, again all was great...

As something of an aside: If you've never been to Hilton Waikoloa Village, it is worth a visit just to look around. One of the few places that gave me something of the same "inside the bubble" vibe that WDW has. Maybe it's the monorail?
We were just on the Big Island and did go to the Hilton Waikola Village just to see what it now looked like (stayed there 20+ years ago when it was the Hyatt Regency Waikola) and the place was a ghost town. I understand the COVID factor here, but a resort that large that was that empty made us feel like we were sneaking into a closed resort and nosing around. It does have a rather non-Hawaiian feel due to the sprawling size and the slow moving monorail that connects the towers. Sadly, the whole place seemed drastically in need of a fresh coat of paint.

the place was a ghost town
I wonder if a lot of people are putting off Hawaii until they can avoid the pre-departure testing requirement. There's been some noise about accepting proof of vaccination as a way to avoid pre-departure testing or quarantine, but it's all a little speculative still.
https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/h...avirus-vaccine-passport-timeline-pushed-back/
We're still planning to go for an extended visit later this summer whether or not that happens, but only because we will all have been vaccinated. I was not willing to risk a delayed test-imposed quarantine before that.

I can understand covid lay offs having an adverse effect on cleaning.
But these things have become almost routine in the "regular" rooms before then. There was always something broken or dirty in most of our rooms before this. I believe it's been a down hill process for years now.

I hope your experience isn't a new normal.

I ate breakfast at Olivia's last fall. I wasn't a big fan of the potato casserole either. Everything else was okay, but not fantastic. I'll go there again and try lunch or dinner, but probably won't go out of my way for breakfast.

They made you eat from a "manger"? :eek:
:rolleyes:

I love OKW, it's my home resort, I've eaten at Olivia's for years, and I have to say, OP's experience with breakfast sadly reminds of me of my last experience there, a year and a half ago. They had one waitperson serving the entire restaurant and it took half an hour for her to even come take our order, we waited so long for the food to come out that the manager actually came over and apologized to us TWICE. It was a very disappointing experience.

I had hoped it was a one-off but it sounds as though things haven't improved... :confused:

I will just add these pics. Housekeeping is not as it should be and I would lay money on every unit being the same.. I am not a germaphobe but this is just gross and a lack of care probably since the refitting of the units. Proper cleaning takes time, that costs money, money they obviously don’t feel is worth spending. To be honest I listed all five of my contracts for sale last night. Time to try somewhere else for us. We have been in DVC since the beginning and had so many happy vacations here but there are now so many other options available for home from home vacation experiences now that Disney are not to of the tree anymore . It’s sad though that they don’t really seem to care that much.

Ew, those look like *my house*! I go to Disney to ESCAPE the dirt!

Seriously though that is horrible.

Just got back from a stay at the Beach Club and had a totally different experience (other than the lack of restaurant options with Yachtsman and Cape May closed). Our room was clean but worn. It definitely needs a bit of TLC that likely requires it not have back to back guests - with the 1st floor construction outside of the building I don't think that's happening for awhile. Our room (a 1BR) wasn't available until after 4:30pm as it was.

We were missing a door hook on one door, the hook was falling off on another, some towel racks and shower door handles were loose, but overall it seemed pretty good. Given the reduced staffing and increase expectations of mousekeeping I'm not sure how they keep up. Disney was understaffed everywhere we went (except for life guards at the pool).
What first floor construction??? We will be there in June.

The room issues sound like it is due to the lack of staffing of the house keeping. Olivia’s, the chefs like any restaurant make it a hit or miss. We have only eaten lunch or dinner there and it has been great. We eat breakfast in the room. Supposedly, it sounds like all furloughed cast members have been called back along with some laid off cast members. Hopefully things improve soon. We were there in November, house keeping didn’t take out the trash much, we are fine with that. Other than that everything was great.
I'm confused by the apparent lack of housekeeping and maintenance staff at a DVC resort. Dues have not decreased for owners during COVID - except for the few months the resorts were closed - so why would staffing decrease? I don't own DVC (have been considering it in recent years), but . . . I would be angry if Disney was cutting back on staffing that was 100% funded by my dues. What are they doing with those dues?? Funding a different division? Seems super sketchy to me.

I'm confused by the apparent lack of housekeeping and maintenance staff at a DVC resort. Dues have not decreased for owners during COVID - except for the few months the resorts were closed - so why would staffing decrease? I don't own DVC (have been considering it in recent years), but . . . I would be angry if Disney was cutting back on staffing that was 100% funded by my dues. What are they doing with those dues?? Funding a different division? Seems super sketchy to me.
I don't think you can judge all of DVC by one person's experience. We were in WDW for a week over Easter (a couple of weeks ago) and everything was excellent. Just like any resort on the face of the planet (including 5 star resorts), there are going to be times where something is missed. But that doesn't mean the overall upkeep is going down the tubes, especially during COVID where Disney is operating at a reduced workforce.

I don't think you can judge all of DVC by one person's experience. We were in WDW for a week over Easter (a couple of weeks ago) and everything was excellent. Just like any resort on the face of the planet (including 5 star resorts), there are going to be times where something is missed. But that doesn't mean the overall upkeep is going down the tubes, especially during COVID where Disney is operating at a reduced workforce.

During the pandemic we have stayed at the Riviera, Copper Creek, Vero Beach, and SSR. All 1 bedrooms, all impeccably maintained. Vero rooms need a bit of an update but other than that it was it was properly clean.

We just had a very poor VRBO rental experience in the 30A area over spring break. And I get how OP feels. Once you get the initial punch in the gut you're kind of on the look out for anything that may be wrong and any minute infraction after that is just another mark on your list so it feels like it adds up.

That shot of the dirty balcony would have gone straight to the front desk if that was my unit. I would have requested additional cleaning inside and out.

I'm not judging by one person's experience - there have been countless reports of lack of DVC staffing on these boards in the past year. That includes many in this thread excusing the lack of staffing "due to COVID." I'm just genuinely curious how this would be possible if dues have not decreased.

During the pandemic we have stayed at the Riviera, Copper Creek, Vero Beach, and SSR. All 1 bedrooms, all impeccably maintained. Vero rooms need a bit of an update but other than that it was it was properly clean.

We just had a very poor VRBO rental experience in the 30A area over spring break. And I get how OP feels. Once you get the initial punch in the gut you're kind of on the look out for anything that may be wrong and any minute infraction after that is just another mark on your list so it feels like it adds up.

That shot of the dirty balcony would have gone straight to the front desk if that was my unit. I would have requested additional cleaning inside and out.
I tend to agree with this. When you have a bad experience your radar tends to go up. And I agree that if I found something to be unacceptable then I would be reaching out to the front desk ASAP. They tend to take care of issues like that.

I'm not judging by one person's experience - there have been countless reports of lack of DVC staffing on these boards in the past year. That includes many in this thread excusing the lack of staffing "due to COVID." I'm just genuinely curious how this would be possible if dues have not decreased.
Yes, DVC staffing is down. It's no secret. Disney/DVC themselves have openly talked about how they are running on reduced staff. They are starting to hire more staff as occupancy increases, so things will continue to get better. While there have been countless threads discussing the lack of staffing and perceived issues that the posters are attributing to that lack of staffing, there are also countless threads discussing positive experiences. These are tougher/leaner times and I was actually impressed with the level of maintenance, since I went into the stay knowing that things would be reduced and expecting a "lesser" experience. That wasn't the case.

Regarding the dues, there are a few things to keep in mind. One, dues cover a lot of things that are fixed costs. The dues for these fixed costs don't fluctuate. Two, most DVC Resorts are also part of cash resorts. Most of the cash resorts are still closed. So things like general grounds upkeep, pool staffing, restaurant staffing, etc. are going to take a hit and be noticeable because the resorts can't fully staff those areas for just DVC guests. Once the cash stay side of those resorts are reopened then I think the difference in staffing will be noticeable. Third, remember that DVC did credit members from the 2020 hit and closures. They could shave $$ of 2022 dues once the dust clears on actual 2021 costs (reduced staffing, in particular). Dues are paid based of anticipated/budgeted costs, so if staffing had to be reduced beyond what was anticipated then the excess money would be accounted for in some way.

It's been a complaint for years and years with Disney.

In general our rooms have been ok but I don't give Disney big thumbs up on running hotels and the housekeeping component. As it happens up until the 2020 New Years my most unclean have come on the hotel side, not DVC, but it's all the same underlying staffing and can be mediocre or sometimes even bad. On New Years Eve my nephews studio had an unmade bed, water glass and dental floss on the bureau and who knows what else hadn't been cleaned.

Sorry that your stay wasn't up to par. We stayed at OKW for the first time the week before Easter and enjoyed the stay. We had a 1 bedroom on Turtle Pond Road. I believe that it was also the 3800 building. The only thing I didn't like about the room was it's location to the main highway right behind us. There was no view at all from the patio. We had a group of high conifer type trees about 10' away in order to block the highway. We weren't in the room much so it wasn't a huge deal breaker but if we were there for a resort only trip I wouldn't have been very happy. Also the busses to/from Disney Springs were very erratic when we went. Waited close to an hour for a bus to arrive. We did eat at Olivias but it was late afternoon for an early dinner and a take away later in the evening around 8:30. We enjoyed both of those meals. We normally stay at SSR and think that I do prefer it over OKW but would stay again.

So sorry OP that your experience was not what it should be.

We are currently in a 2 bdrm in building 32 and things to be fine - also great location. But, I will say that we stayed in a BWV GV in 2013 and the kitchen floor was so sticky gross that housekeeping had to come mop for us. Also, I see people rave about Olivia's but on our first and only dinner here many years ago, I ordered the fish of the day and I got a small shriveled something - I didn't complain, ate the rest of the dish and haven't gone back. I'm sure there have been other small issues through the years at other resorts that we mention to Guest Services (not many because none come to mind). Most of the times we've been very happy and most of our trips have been at OKW.

We just got back to our villa and noticed that there was a new trash bag in the kitchen area but not in the bathrooms. It is only our second day here and I requested no trash and towel day. Do you think they were checking on us?

So sorry OP that your experience was not what it should be.

We are currently in a 2 bdrm in building 32 and things to be fine - also great location. But, I will say that we stayed in a BWV GV in 2013 and the kitchen floor was so sticky gross that housekeeping had to come mop for us. Also, I see people rave about Olivia's but on our first and only dinner here many years ago, I ordered the fish of the day and I got a small shriveled something - I didn't complain, ate the rest of the dish and haven't gone back. I'm sure there have been other small issues through the years at other resorts that we mention to Guest Services (not many because none come to mind). Most of the times we've been very happy and most of our trips have been at OKW.

We just got back to our villa and noticed that there was a new trash bag in the kitchen area but not in the bathrooms. It is only our second day here and I requested no trash and towel day. Do you think they were checking on us?
During our BCV stay a few weeks ago, they changed the trash and refilled the coffee every day. In early 2020 I read that trash/coffee was being changed to a daily service, which is what we experienced.

I’m sorry about your experience. I was in OKW 1 bedroom all last week. Room was very clean and trash was picked up a few times and housekeeping stopped by a couple times and asked if we needed anything. Ate at Olivias twice for dinner and food and service was excellent. I usually only stay at OKW and have had several trips start off not so great with room issues but notified the front desk and either got moved or the issue fixed ASAP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter