OKW Lovers Thread. Part 2

I see there is a jogging trail, does that mean there are sidewalks to walk to the lobby from the buildings on Peninsular Rd? I thought I remember there was a break in the sidewalk and you had to walk in the street when going to the lobby.We were in building 46.
The only time you have to walk in the street is when you cross the street. Otherwise there is always a sidewalk to walk on. You might have to cross the street to get to the sidewalk since it might end on one side and continue on the other. There are no sidewalks on the canal side of the road, just the villa side of the road with a crosswalk to go over to the villa side of the road. In some cases the sidewalk is closer to the villas with the parking spaces and the curb between the sidewalk and the roadway. Guests are expected to always walk on the sidewalk for safety.

Are there any dedicated studios? If so which buildings are they in?
I seem to remember a studio we had in Bldg 18 on the third floor that was in the corner, not at the end. I don't remember that it connected to a one bedroom. It only had one window, the patio door. Since it was in the corner, there was only wall open to the outside besides the door to the studio. But I could be wrong. This would include Bldg 14, 18, 35 and 38. These are U shaped buildings.

But looking at Google maps and DVC layouts, it must have connected to a one bedroom villa.

I seem to remember a studio we had in Bldg 18 on the third floor that was in the corner, not at the end. I don't remember that it connected to a one bedroom. It only had one window, the patio door. Since it was in the corner, there was only wall open to the outside besides the door to the studio. But I could be wrong. This would include Bldg 14, 18, 35 and 38. These are U shaped buildings.

But looking at Google maps and DVC layouts, it must have connected to a one bedroom villa.
Here is the layout for those buildings. No dedicated studios though.

Type D buildings are all 3 stories.
1st Floor- 2,1,S,S,1,1,S,S,1,2
2nd Floor- 2,1,S,S,1 1 S,S,1,2
3rd Floor- 1,S,S,1 1 S,S,1
Buildings 14,18,35 and 38 are all Type D.

Here's the complete resort and the layout of each building courtesy of Webmaster Doc:

There are seven different configurations. I have assigned a letter designation to each type described below (these are my own observations and are NOT official.) All room rooms are numbered from right to left as you look at the building from the parking area. Each floor will be numbered by building number, floor and room. The studio on the lower right first floor of building 16 is #1610. The 1BR next door is #1611.

GV's are found in Buildings 15,16,19,22,25,29,43,48,49,51,53 and 63.
Buildings 62, 63 and 64 all have elevators but no other Buildings are accessible above the ground floor.
As of June 1, 2007 - all WDW resorts are smoke-free with no smoking allowed in rooms, balconies, and patios as well all public areas. There will be designated smoking areas available outdoors.

All of the following descriptions are listed from right to left, as you face the building from the parking area.

Type A buildings are all 3 stories.
1st Floor- S,1,2,2,2,1,S
2nd Floor- S,1,2,2,2,1,S
3rd Floor- 2,2,2
Buildings 13,20,21,23,26,27,28,32,33,34,36,37,39,41,42,45,46 ,47,50,52,54,56 and 62 are all Type A.

Type B buildings are all 2 stories.
1st Floor- S,1,2,1,S
2nd Floor- S,1,2,1,S
Buildings 11,17,24,30,31,40,44 and 55 are all Type B.

Type C buildings are all 3 stories.
1st Floor- S,1,2,2,1,S
2nd Floor- S,1,GV,GV,1,S (#6322 is a HCA GV)
3rd Floor- GV, GV (upper floors)
Buildings 15,16 19,22,25,29,43,49,51,53 and 63 are all Type C.

Type D buildings are all 3 stories.
1st Floor- 2,1,S,S,1,1,S,S,1,2
2nd Floor- 2,1,S,S,1 1 S,S,1,2
3rd Floor- 1,S,S,1 1 S,S,1
Buildings 14,18,35 and 38 are all Type D.

Type E- #48 is a 3 story building.
1st Floor- S,1,2,2,2,GV (#4815 is a HCA GV)
2nd Floor- S,1,GV,GV,GV,GV(upper Floor)
3rd Floor- GV,GV,GV (upper floor of all)

Type E- #49 is a 3 story building.
1st Floor- S,1,2,2,2,1,S
2nd Floor- S,1,GV,GV,GV,1,S
3rd Floor- GV,GV,GV (upper floor of all)

Building 48 and 49 are the only Type E buildings and each has a variant configuration.

TypeF is a 3 story building.
1st Floor- S,1,2,2,1,S,1,S
2nd Floor- S,1,2,2,1,S,1,S
3rd Floor- S,1,2,2
Building 64 is the only Type F.

TypeG is a 2 story building.
1st Floor- S,1,2,2,2
2nd Floor- S,1,2,2,2
Building 12 is the only Type G.

Can someone lead me to a thread about the construction starting at OKW, our reservations are in 2 weeks & id like to be prepared for what to expect. I've read main pool is closed.

Can someone lead me to a thread about the construction starting at OKW, our reservations are in 2 weeks & id like to be prepared for what to expect. I've read main pool is closed.
From the member website:
Know Before You Go

Please pardon our pixie dust! In an ongoing effort to improve the quality of facilities and offerings, some offerings at Disney's Old Key West are being refreshed. Explore details below.

Pool Closure in Early 2017
The Sandcastle Pool at Disney's Old Key West Resort will be closed for refurbishment from early January 2017 through the end of February 2017. The leisure pools located at Old Turtle Pond, South Point and Miller's Road will remain available for your enjoyment. Please check back here for updates.

Upcoming Refurbishments
Additional Resort refurbishments will begin in summer 2017. While we are working on our magic, it is possible that you will see and hear construction taking place around the Resort. We will attempt to limit any work most likely to cause a noise impact to the hours of 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM. This refurbishment is expected to be completed in 2019. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
When they do renovations at OKW, they usually shut down a cluster of buildings for a period of time, so they aren't working on the building you are staying in.

It's a nice leisurely 15-20 minutes. If you want to access the master bathroom (toilet, sink and shower, but not tub), you need a villa with a door through the laundry room. Currently those are buildings numbered higher than 29. So South Point and Turtle Pond. If you don't want the door through the laundry room, and you want them going through the master bedroom, you'd want Millers Road, Near Hospitality House Area (specific booking category for those) or Peninsular Road villas.

You can also just lock the door from inside the bathroom not to allow anyone in except to go through the bedroom. :rolleyes1

Hey guys and gals!! Two weeks out from our OKW stay. I just had a few questions for those who have been recently. I read about one experience with the transport to the Saratoga Pool (since the main pool at OKW will be down for refurb), but I was wondering if anyone else had taken the transport and if it was worth it, too much of a hassle, lenghty? Any experiences? Also, I know room requests are just that, but we requested Upper Floor at online check-in and just wondering how likely it would be that we would get one? (we are in a 1 bedroom for reference) Thanks for all the insight over the last few months. We are so pumped...2 weeks can't go by fast enough!

We are staying for the first time in August. We have no car but we do have the dining plan, so will want somewhere to fill our mugs! Can someone recommend the best area to request please?

Here now and absolutely in LOVE with this resort! Our room was ready when we checked in at 11:30 and the room we are in is a perfect match to our wants/needs
Quiet : well the darned boats on the canal can interrupt a guy's nap on the balcony according to the hubby :P
Removed from any hustle & bustle : those pesky little birds flying around can be a tad perky first thing in the morning!
Comfortable space to spread out: there's nothing wrong with turning your bed into a home office is there???

Feels like "Florida" : well D'UH it's in the name right?

The staff here seems to be top notch and have all been on point with what we consider "Disney magic" without being forced. They all seem to love their work and it really feels like being a part of a family. Thanks for all the help with picking the best place for our "sanity break"!

Hello everyone. Just dropping to say hi! My family owns points here, have personally stayed twice, once in a studio and once in a one bedroom (bldg 45, a new favorite). Love Olivias.... Goods 2 Go not so much, haha. Take care everyone.

Hello! Our family (husband and me with our two kids ages 12 and 8) is staying at OKW for two nights in March. Obviously, we won't be at the resort for a long time, but we have never stayed there before and would love any suggestions for must-sees or must-dos while there.

Also, I looked at the resort map and was slightly overwhelmed by the size! Any suggestions for online check-in requests? I was thinking near a bus stop, since we usually spend lots of time in the parks.

Thanks in advance! We are looking forward to our stay.

Hello! Our family (husband and me with our two kids ages 12 and 8) is staying at OKW for two nights in March. Obviously, we won't be at the resort for a long time, but we have never stayed there before and would love any suggestions for must-sees or must-dos while there.

Also, I looked at the resort map and was slightly overwhelmed by the size! Any suggestions for online check-in requests? I was thinking near a bus stop, since we usually spend lots of time in the parks.

Thanks in advance! We are looking forward to our stay.
Even from the furthest area of the resort, you are only a ten minute walk to the Hospitality House. Olivia's has a very good menu and many times you don't need an ADR. Your kids might be interested in the Community Hall. You can take a boat ride to Disney Springs from OKW, too.

Okay I think we're crazy. We are here now in a two bedroom villa. The jacuzzi in the room has a little plaque by the hot tub that says fill water above jets and push the button. NONE of us can find the button. We called the front desk and they offered to send maintenance but I think DH was too embarrassed to admit that we are this dumb.

Any advice on where to look?!?

Okay I think we're crazy. We are here now in a two bedroom villa. The jacuzzi in the room has a little plaque by the hot tub that says fill water above jets and push the button. NONE of us can find the button. We called the front desk and they offered to send maintenance but I think DH was too embarrassed to admit that we are this dumb.

Any advice on where to look?!?
The button is on the top of the tub in the back corner.
old-key-west-1br-201512.JPG

The button is on the top of the tub in the back corner.
View attachment 216905
I swear ours does not have this! It has the instructions, a sticker thing that says soft touch, and a metal thing that kind of sticks up but doesn't push, like a button would. It has no give to it at all. We are stumped. And feeling like idiots.

I swear ours does not have this! It has the instructions, a sticker thing that says soft touch, and a metal thing that kind of sticks up but doesn't push, like a button would. It has no give to it at all. We are stumped. And feeling like idiots.
Yep, that's it. It doesn't push down like any other button. It's more like it senses pressure on it. More like just touch it.

and a metal thing that kind of sticks up but doesn't push, like a button would. It has no give to it at all.
That's it. You must be in the water and then just touch it to turn on the jets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter