Official Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend 2020

Hopefully, somebody on this thread can post if ANY in-person race happens between now and November. I was going to do a small-ish half marathon in mid-September in Saratoga Springs, NY, but it just went virtual. Somebody, somewhere is going to half to take the plunge and have a race. I don't think rD will be the first.

The Marine Corps Marathon posted on June 2 that they plan to go forward as scheduled with protections. That race is two weeks before the W&D. However, they have not yet set a date for registration.

Some of us just did the Zion Half Marathon this past weekend. They ran it with small waves starting every hour between 7 PM and 7 AM, so definitely unconventional. I'm signed up to do a 10k in New Braunfels on July 18 (they also have a 5k and half marathon) and they are planning on it happening. It's likely a fairly small event. These are some of the restrictions they are having:

ALERTS
The Race is On!!!
Due to ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic Concerns, the Stars and Stripes event will adhere to the following guidelines:
We will follow State Guidelines: https://bit.ly/3caXFeE
The race is going to be conducted in as safe a manner as possible. This means limited crowds before and after the event. Runners are encouraged to wear a mask before the event and afterwards. They are not required nor recommended during the run.
Registration will be Online only. There will be NO race day registration in order to limit handling of payments and maintain distancing.
Runners will be assigned a start time based on their date of entry in groups of 20. Participants will be allowed to start every minute until all participants are on the course.
Water and refreshments will be available at the conclusion of the race, but there will be no awards ceremony. Winners will be announced after the race and awards will be available for pickup the following week.
Please be respectful of other runners and race personnel. We want everyone to have a great time, but we are under tight restrictions by local authorities to conduct this event. The success of this event will set precedence for future events.

Hopefully, somebody on this thread can post if ANY in-person race happens between now and November. I was going to do a small-ish half marathon in mid-September in Saratoga Springs, NY, but it just went virtual. Somebody, somewhere is going to half to take the plunge and have a race. I don't think rD will be the first.
Two October events in Indiana that I'm considering:
Indy 1/2 marathon at Fort Ben is October 3rd
Purdue Boilermaker 1/2 marathon on October 17

I think NYC will probably be the big barometer for Wine & Dine because it's the week before. So far nothing about cancellation (there was an announcement a few weeks ago saying "we plan to have the race, if you want to cancel, here's our regular cancellation policy"), but NYRR is notoriously late to cancel things, so we'll see how it goes. I'll try to share any updates if/when I see them, but I don't see them making any decisions for at least another month or two.

Very hopeful overall. Schools are planning on having students on campus this fall in Florida, football is proceeding with many schools planning on some form of crowd, WDW will have been open for much longer, etc...there are some races around the country happening depending on state, size, etc....If anyone can figure out how to pull it off, it's Disney:)

Sunday, October 18, 2020 - Myrtle Beach Mini Marathon

@KSellers88 (Alabama/Georgia) and @DerTobi75 (Germany) both have recently completed 5ks, but not nearly the scale of rD.

This is my go to site for finding races, lots of races happening, not the size of W&D, but encouraging none the less. In Florida, plenty of 1/2's set to go off still...

runningintheusa.com

The Marine Corps Marathon posted on June 2 that they plan to go forward as scheduled with protections. That race is two weeks before the W&D.

I very much read that as an announcement that the race is going forward because that's the default position, but it doesn't mean much otherwise. The MCM organization waited several weeks into the lock-down to cancel the May 2020 Historic Half Marathon, so I'm not surprised by this action either. If the MCM does get canceled, I don't expect we'll know until much closer to the event. The Chicago Marathon just sent an email on the 8th that they're still going forward as planned for now, but were obviously planning for some sort of delay/cancellation as well, so most everything is still "wait and see" for now. The Air Force Marathon (usually in the middle of Sept.) in Ohio did cancel today. It wasn't a huge race, but it did involve entering an Air Force base.

As of now my September & October races put on by our local running club are still a go (and I mentioned earlier I think that they just resumed club runs)
Their summer races obviously were canceled and were replaced by a community challenge to still raise $ for local scholarships

Yeah, folks, talking about races in September and October is meaningless at this point because it just means they have not been canceled yet. I think we are more interested to hear about races that have confirmed that they are going to happen with restrictions, etc. Not that they are just "hopeful". There are many local races still on the calendar here in CT in July but I know they are not happening. They just have not been canceled yet.

The Air Force Marathon (usually in the middle of Sept.) in Ohio did cancel today. It wasn't a huge race, but it did involve entering an Air Force base.
I had 4 races I was planning for the Spring and 4 for the Fall. All the Spring races were canceled obviously and the Air Force Marathon was my first Fall race to go. My daughter goes to the University of Dayton and that weekend was parents weekend so we were going to run it together. Next up for me is the Hartford Marathon in October - another big one. Even though Connecticut - which was the third worse hit state after New York and New Jersey has crushed the curve and is now down to under 300 people hospitalized in the entire state, I do not see this race happening. There is still so much fear here.

I'm planning on running the Tippy Trail 10 miler in Winimac (northcentral) Indiana on June 27. That is a reschedule date from earlier this year. Last year had only 41 finishers; it's a very small race but has a USATF division. I'm hoping to use it for a POT for both W&D and Marathon weekends. At least as of today it is still on.

Also on at the moment is the Run the Bluegrass HM in Lexington, KY as it was rescheduled to October 3. It's a much bigger race and it will be interesting to see if it happens

There are several races in my local area still planning on running, including the Asheville Half/10k on 8/29, Cherokee Half/5k 9/12, and Biltmore 15k/5k on 10/4. I think the latter two are fairly probable since the Biltmore is already a closed private course and offered deferrals when it was changed from the spring and Cherokee has already limited the field to 250 for both events.

Last edited:
As of right now the Long Island Half is still scheduled for 10/4. This was a postponement from May. The weekend was also supposed to have a marathon, but they cancelled that race completely.

I am signed up for R & R half in VA Beach on Labor Day and the Baltimore Half on Oct 17th.
Baltimore has said they are still hopeful it will go on. R & R hasn't updated anything yet, VA is just getting into 2nd wave of opening, but the R & R are just postponing as the races come up. I know it is still way too early for anyone to say for sure they are going to happen.

Something to watch, reports are the Food and Wine Classic at the Swan and Dolphin Nov. 6th and 7th has been canceled. Same weekend as Wine and Dine....

I’m now kind of thinking that whatever plan they have (run virtual, cancel...) won’t be announced until after Star Wars registration in August as there will already be a mad dash for bibs between 2020 being canceled and the limited bibs

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter