• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Wii/DS Q/A thread. FAQ in first post! Game reviews in second post!

lindaso said:
I'm glad I found this thread. I'm hoping to find one at Toys R Us since I'm sitting with $200 worth of gift cards. I'm not one to line up at the crack of dawn so hopefully I'll just get lucky with calling them. If not, my 7 year old DS is so laid back, a promise of the Wii should be enough for Christmas morning and a January purchase should be fine. But of course I'd rather have it Christmas morning!!

Definitely call them Sunday morning or even Saturday night. I really believe that most stores will have at least 20 units this Sunday.

BTW I checked with my friends at my old TRU and they confirmed that they indeed have systems that they are holding until Sunday, so I'm not just blowing smoke!

Good luck everyone!

Come back with questions.

And please ask about game recommendations if you need to!

I also was able to get a console at BB last Sunday. That one was for my sister as I had already been lucky enough to get one for my family at Costco. WHEW!!

Just wanted to pass along a tip I learned from another board. The rumor is that Circuit City ad for next week advertises the Wii (similar to what happened at BB last week) minimum of 12 (?) per store. Many are saying that is the best bet for this week...

there's a pretty strong rumor floating around that Wal-Mart's ad will also feature the Wii and they are holding units for a Sunday sale.

How many more units does Nintendo have until the end of the year? anyone know?

HarleyQuinn,

Thanks for the thread on the Wii. I was able to get a Wii for my family for Christmas. Also, wanted to say that check Target Tuesday afternoon. I was able to get a Wii console and controllers early afternoon. It seems that they get there stock earlier in the AM and by early afternoon it is then shelved. Hope this helps others on their quest.

Another question, do you know any experience with Excite Truck or GT Pro?
DH would like either one, but the reviews I've been reading fluctuate. Does anyone have any actual playing experiences with either game. Thanks Again!

bugbugmom said:
HarleyQuinn,

Thanks for the thread on the Wii. I was able to get a Wii for my family for Christmas. Also, wanted to say that check Target Tuesday afternoon. I was able to get a Wii console and controllers early afternoon. It seems that they get there stock earlier in the AM and by early afternoon it is then shelved. Hope this helps others on their quest.

Another question, do you know any experience with Excite Truck or GT Pro?
DH would like either one, but the reviews I've been reading fluctuate. Does anyone have any actual playing experiences with either game. Thanks Again!

I've played both. I really enjoyed Excite Truck. I think it's one of the easiest Wii games to pick up and play. I think it's great for younger kids and people who haven't played too many games. I actually think older kids and regular gamers will like it too, it just is perfect for the other groups.

I would highly suggest Excite Truck over GT Pro, especially if you have any other gaming systems. GT Pro looks and plays like a nintendo 64 game. It has little depth and is frankly kind of boring. I wouldn't pay more than $20 for it.

madge said:
there's a pretty strong rumor floating around that Wal-Mart's ad will also feature the Wii and they are holding units for a Sunday sale.

They say they will have 4 million out by then. Over 600K have been sold, so that means at least 3 million more. These are huge numbers and I really believe that even if they don't hit 3 million, there will be enough consoles to go around to the people actively looking for them.

Thanks for this thread!! I also am searching high and low for a Wii. My dad already has games for the kids. Now I just need something to play them on.

1of6 said:
Thanks for this thread!! I also am searching high and low for a Wii. My dad already has games for the kids. Now I just need something to play them on.

Best of luck! You WILL find one!

I went to Best Buy last Sunday an hour before store opening and was NOT able to get one of the 51 Wiis they had!! I am going earlier this week!!

Maggie

maggiew said:
I went to Best Buy last Sunday an hour before store opening and was NOT able to get one of the 51 Wiis they had!! I am going earlier this week!!

Maggie

Wow! Hopefully the crowds trying to get them should get smaller as they pick them up each week. 51 is a lot of systems to go through. I take it there was a line before they opened?

maggiew said:

Maggie

Same thing happened to me. We're going earlier this time lol!

harleyquinn said:
They say they will have 4 million out by then. Over 600K have been sold, so that means at least 3 million more. These are huge numbers and I really believe that even if they don't hit 3 million, there will be enough consoles to go around to the people actively looking for them.
4 million in the US or world-wide?

I have to say, I becoming frustrated with the reports I'm reading of several places having Wii in stock, to be placed on the shelves for the Sunday ads. I don't like playing games, you know? I will, because it's the only thing my boys have asked for since July, but geez... LOL

madge said:

I have to say, I becoming frustrated with the reports I'm reading of several places having Wii in stock, to be placed on the shelves for the Sunday ads. I don't like playing games, you know? I will, because it's the only thing my boys have asked for since July, but geez... LOL

World wide. I thought it was US...Should've looked it up first.

Just give the Wii a chance, you'll be addicted!

madge said:

The problem is that the ads are printed way in advance. If it states a minimum per store they LEGALLY have to have at least that many at open on the first day of the ad. Therefore they hold onto at least that many to cover themselves. I was in line at my BB by 8:30 last Sunday and snagged #62 out of 66 if that is of any guidance for anyone.

Cookie55 said:
The problem is that the ads are printed way in advance. If it states a minimum per store they LEGALLY have to have at least that many at open on the first day of the ad. Therefore they hold onto at least that many to cover themselves. I was in line at my BB by 8:30 last Sunday and snagged #62 out of 66 if that is of any guidance for anyone.

Totally true! Great information, thanks!

Remember the only reason I have one is because DH got up at 4am in order to preorder one from TRU. So 8:30 sounds pretty good to me!

madge said:

I spoke to the guy at my Walmart this morning. He said they already have 32 in stock in the back. But, instead of selling them Sunday, they have to wait til Wednesday, 12/6. He even showed me his advance copy of this week's Sunday ad...sure enough - it said "available 12/6."

It's amazing what the difference is in what different stores are telling customers about it though. You get 10 different stories from 10 different Walmarts, etc.
I can't believe how hard this is to get. It seems like the stores just haven't even gotten the shipments from Nintendo. It is a game...(no pun intended!)
I was in Best Buy today and they had PS3s!!! But supposedly not another shipment of Wiis since Sunday. Frustrating...
I'm all done with my Xmas shopping except for this and I just want to get it over with. I'd rather wait on line for several hours though, then to go from store to store searching just hoping to be in the right place at the right time.

Hi Sarah... I have a quick question about Zelda. My DD8 and I were at Gamestop just a few minutes ago and they had a demo of Wii/Zelda going where you could fish. Well, my DD is in LOVE with that part of the game and knowing her, she would want to play that part over and over. I am totally ignorant about Zelda and especially the Wii version... is it possible to "fish" over and over, to jump to that part of the game or do you just go along and can't go back to things, etc? Any info would be appreciated! TIA :)

KelNottAt said:
I spoke to the guy at my Walmart this morning. He said they already have 32 in stock in the back. But, instead of selling them Sunday, they have to wait til Wednesday, 12/6. He even showed me his advance copy of this week's Sunday ad...sure enough - it said "available 12/6."
I was told 12/6 also at my local Walmart. I have a unit. I stood out in the cold at Toys-R-Us 11/19. But I didn't think we'd need another controller. Of course now I decide we're gonna need more than one controller on X-mas, so I can play too.

But I swear the Wii is a present for my son. :rolleyes1

So, what are good games for a bright 7 year old, besides Cars? And Legend of Zelda, gotta get them hooked on that young. :thumbsup2

I was one of the lucky few who snagged one from Amazon during that one minute sell out :goodvibes I also purchased Zelda and an extra remote. Later I learned that I should have also bought an extra nunchuck (sp). :rolleyes: Of course, now they are sold out everywhere.
It seems that there are more consoles that will be released, but what do you think about the remotes and nunchucks? Anyone have ideas of a best bet of where to find it (besides ebay). I don't need it until Christmas.
TIA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter