***Official September 2022 Thread***

If it makes you feel any better, my family used to always go the last week of July. It’s hot, and humid, but it is doable if you stay hydrated, take breaks, and use things like neck fans and cooling towels
We've gone often in late June and August and agree with all this advice. Also, on some days we plan a late lunch/early dinner ADR ahead of time to get out of the heat for a while if we don't want to leave the park (and possibly even avoid the afternoon storms if lucky!)

We were just in FL from 6/15-6/25 and it was incredibly hot with 110+ heat indexes on some days. Our Universal days were prob the hottest, but a couple of WDW days were too. It was less hot in the Tampa area. Those days were not easy and we did take resort breaks. Most days we used the strategies suggested by @tinkerbelletreasure

(Also, everyone says AK is the hottest park. I disagree and feel like DHS gets that honor :) )

I have changed our reservations. I need feedback as to whether I am crazy to try this! My family with a young kid and tiny one never takes long trips. This might be a once in a lifetime thing since we will be getting to spend a whole week. Honestly I’m not even sure if we will ever get to go back. Soo I have signed us up to split stay three resorts. 😳 We have done trips before where we stayed at three different hotels over the course of several days, but not while also trying to visit theme parks. However if it works, I know it will be amazing to experience what these places have to offer (thus why I did it). Now we have POR-BC-AKL with two or three nights each. I’m thinking the repacking and moving might actually make it easier to pack up when we have to finally leave “for real” at the end, but maybe I’m just trying to justify it. 😂 Thoughts?

I have changed our reservations. I need feedback as to whether I am crazy to try this! My family with a young kid and tiny one never takes long trips. This might be a once in a lifetime thing since we will be getting to spend a whole week. Honestly I’m not even sure if we will ever get to go back. Soo I have signed us up to split stay three resorts. 😳 We have done trips before where we stayed at three different hotels over the course of several days, but not while also trying to visit theme parks. However if it works, I know it will be amazing to experience what these places have to offer (thus why I did it). Now we have POR-BC-AKL with two or three nights each. I’m thinking the repacking and moving might actually make it easier to pack up when we have to finally leave “for real” at the end, but maybe I’m just trying to justify it. 😂 Thoughts?

How organized are you generally?

We did a split stay in 2019 for one night because we tacked a day on at the last minute and couldn't add to the existing reservation. I hated every minute of having to pack/repack and I'm typically a very organized person. Wanting to just get out of the room but having to wait for the luggage transfer, coming into the new room late in the evening and having to find our things for the next day. I walked out saying "never again" to the split stay. I also think age of kids matters a lot. My girls were five years old, so they weren't able to take on any of the responsibility. Plus, I feel like kids manage to spread their stuff out way more than adults. ("Why would you drop your PJs on the chair when there's a pop up hamper right there???")

If you are committed to this plan, I'd make a suitcase with clothes for each of the resorts and only open the one for the days that you're staying there. Then, 1-2 bags with the other things that need to be used room to room. If you want to rope drop on transfer days, make sure you factor in how much earlier you have to be up to get the room emptied and luggage transferred before you head out for the day. And, give yourself time at the end of that day to get to the new room and get your bearings again.

No, this is totally something we would do and have done, no need to justify I think 🤣 🤣

It's not for everyone though. Also, I no longer have littles, but tween/adult kids, and my youngest is now a teen. So I think that's something to consider.

Last June we did a 10-day stay. 4 nights in a rental house, 4 nights Shades of Green, and then 2 days at CSR. The year before it was CSR/SOG/CR for a 7-day trip LOL. This year we did 2 nights Sapphire Falls, 1 night Royal Pacific, then 8 nights at Shades of Green. We drove from Virginia (normally we'd fly), so that made it easier. Other years we've had a rental car for at least part of the trip.

Our Sept 2022 trip will be short, and we're staying at Shades of Green for 4 nights. But last year DD and I did Boo Bash and did a split stay between All-Star Movies and CR (2 nights at each). This was the only time we did a split without a car for at least part of the trip. Since DD is adult, I tasked her with the rideshare plans. It worked seamlessly.

Not gonna lie, I was almost going to split SOG with AK for September when the discount for that resort dropped LOL. But no availability. Now that there is availability, I was pondering, but since transportation is already set, I think I'll just leave it as is 🤣

I love split stays!!

How organized are you generally?

We did a split stay in 2019 for one night because we tacked a day on at the last minute and couldn't add to the existing reservation. I hated every minute of having to pack/repack and I'm typically a very organized person. Wanting to just get out of the room but having to wait for the luggage transfer, coming into the new room late in the evening and having to find our things for the next day. I walked out saying "never again" to the split stay. I also think age of kids matters a lot. My girls were five years old, so they weren't able to take on any of the responsibility. Plus, I feel like kids manage to spread their stuff out way more than adults. ("Why would you drop your PJs on the chair when there's a pop up hamper right there???")

If you are committed to this plan, I'd make a suitcase with clothes for each of the resorts and only open the one for the days that you're staying there. Then, 1-2 bags with the other things that need to be used room to room. If you want to rope drop on transfer days, make sure you factor in how much earlier you have to be up to get the room emptied and luggage transferred before you head out for the day. And, give yourself time at the end of that day to get to the new room and get your bearings again.
I think the ages of kids definitely matter. I was typing when you posted but had this thought too. We didn't do many WDW trips while mine were young and always stayed offsite the few times we did. But now that they're older, we love the different experiences!

Great point about organization! We use plastic cubes in our suitcases and if we have a car (which we mostly do) we will pack specific suitcases for each hotel and label them, leaving the others in the trunk of the car. Toiletry bag we just bring to each resort.

Our first trip we had a 2.5yo and 6yo and did pop/AoA/Coranado and it was fine. I liked getting to try different rooms and pools. Packing wasn’t a big deal for me because I don’t care about my stuff and just crammed everything in 😅
We didn’t have much of a choice because we had to reschedule last minute due to hurricanes but I thought it was fine and would do it again. The only hassle is the front desk (even pre pandemic) was not actually helpful with luggage transfer and there were never carts early when we wanted to get up and out to a park, so we did a lot of manually lugging our bags to the front which is a sticky grumpy 15 mins to start the day, so I would confirm with the front desk ahead of time what is *actually* possible for them to do for you can what they advertise as possible “based on availability”

We’ll be at the POP the 3rd -the 10th! I’ve never met anyone from the boards but back in the day I used to pin the lime green Micky heads to our backpacks just in case! Lol.
I will be at the GF the 4th -15th. Never heard of the lime green Mickey Head for a quick Hi ---- sounds like a neat idea. Any of our September Group want to try it for our trips? ::MickeyMo

Hey fellow Septemberians (I think I just made up a word!)

I need a bit of advice.

My best friend and his son are joining us for part of the trip. He knows very little about Disney (shock, horror) and so I am basically planning his trip. I have warned him I have done a lot of research and planning and have an itinerary to follow! I have ben planning this since 2019 and he jumps in with 2 months to go!

Anyway...

We are staying at POP (9-16th) and he has tried to book but no surprises they are full. He now wants to book offsite as its much cheaper but I'm trying to steer him to a Disney hotel so they can access early entry and also make ADR.

Questions.

If I convince them to stay at a Disney hotel, they won't check in until 3 days after us. We want to do Hoop De Doo. If I book when my window opens, how can he join the reservation 3 days later? Any suggestions?

The only other ADR we were looking at was the Sci Fi at Hollywood. Same thing goes. Not sure if they will even be able to book it.

We were also planning on doing 2 days at Universal and potentially Halloween Horror Night.
How necessary is express pass. We don't want to spend all night in queues so would pay for it but it works out to $620 for me and my 2 kids for the night with admission and express. Seems a lot for a few hours of entering houses.

Yay? Nay? Should we save that $ and spend elsewhere.

I'm excited my friend and son are joining us, but it also requires extra planning!
Thanks all- this forum has been such a help

I think you can just book your own ADRs for two more people to include them. You don’t have to put names on any of the other people so when you book HDD and sci fi for your own family, just make the res for the total number dining. Unless they’re bugging you glomming on last minute and you just an excuse to not dine with them in which case just be free!

I think you can just book your own ADRs for two more people to include them. You don’t have to put names on any of the other people so when you book HDD and sci fi for your own family, just make the res for the total number dining. Unless they’re bugging you glomming on last minute and you just an excuse to not dine with them in which case just be free!
Yes but some dining locations ie. Hoop Dee doo review and Cinderell’s Table require payment in advance.

Hey fellow Septemberians (I think I just made up a word!)

I need a bit of advice.

My best friend and his son are joining us for part of the trip. He knows very little about Disney (shock, horror) and so I am basically planning his trip. I have warned him I have done a lot of research and planning and have an itinerary to follow! I have ben planning this since 2019 and he jumps in with 2 months to go!

Anyway...

We are staying at POP (9-16th) and he has tried to book but no surprises they are full. He now wants to book offsite as its much cheaper but I'm trying to steer him to a Disney hotel so they can access early entry and also make ADR.

Questions.

If I convince them to stay at a Disney hotel, they won't check in until 3 days after us. We want to do Hoop De Doo. If I book when my window opens, how can he join the reservation 3 days later? Any suggestions?

The only other ADR we were looking at was the Sci Fi at Hollywood. Same thing goes. Not sure if they will even be able to book it.

We were also planning on doing 2 days at Universal and potentially Halloween Horror Night.
How necessary is express pass. We don't want to spend all night in queues so would pay for it but it works out to $620 for me and my 2 kids for the night with admission and express. Seems a lot for a few hours of entering houses.

Yay? Nay? Should we save that $ and spend elsewhere.

I'm excited my friend and son are joining us, but it also requires extra planning!
Thanks all- this forum has been such a help
Would he be willing to stay at an All Star resort? It looks as though they have availability for All Star Music and All Star Sports (even the D+ discount too... it looks like it's about $117/night)... Just a thought.

If he isn't staying in your room, then it shouldn't matter if he joins you a few days into the trip. I would book Doop Dee Do for the 5 of you and go from there.

Do you and your kids like horror stuff? The best option for express passes is to book a premier resort (so one night = 2 express pass days).... Its worth looking into.

Would he be willing to stay at an All Star resort? It looks as though they have availability for All Star Music and All Star Sports (even the D+ discount too... it looks like it's about $117/night)... Just a thought.

If he isn't staying in your room, then it shouldn't matter if he joins you a few days into the trip. I would book Doop Dee Do for the 5 of you and go from there.

Do you and your kids like horror stuff? The best option for express passes is to book a premier resort (so one night = 2 express pass days).... Its worth looking into.
Thanks all.
Where did you see All Stars available? All value hotels are booked out when I check
@pigletgirl[ -we are actually staying 1 night at the Royal Pacific so we can get express passes for the 2 days we are doing at Universal. Unfortunately, this doesn't include Halloween Horror Nights.

I hated every minute of having to pack/repack and I'm typically a very organized person. Wanting to just get out of the room but having to wait for the luggage transfer, coming into the new room late in the evening and having to find our things for the next day. I walked out saying "never again" to the split stay. I also think age of kids matters a lot. My girls were five years old, so they weren't able to take on any of the responsibility.
Thank you for sharing your experience! I am betting you have been very organized with your trio, so I’m taking note, for sure! The seven-turning-eight year old will have to buy in. She was very excited about the prospect of Stormalong Bay so I will have a talk and I think she will help.
I'd make a suitcase with clothes for each of the resorts and only open the one for the days that you're staying there. Then, 1-2 bags with the other things that need to be used room to room.
Yes, this is my thought too! That’s what we did in May with our adventure of three hotels in five days to visit family out of state.
Great point about organization! We use plastic cubes in our suitcases and if we have a car (which we mostly do) we will pack specific suitcases for each hotel and label them, leaving the others in the trunk of the car. Toiletry bag we just bring to each resort.
Love the labels idea! We will have a car so I think the trunk will definitely be helpful s as you say.
The only hassle is the front desk (even pre pandemic) was not actually helpful with luggage transfer and there were never carts early when we wanted to get up and out to a park, so we did a lot of manually lugging our bags to the front which is a sticky grumpy 15 mins to start the day, so I would confirm with the front desk ahead of time what is *actually* possible for them to do for you can what they advertise as possible “based on availability”
Wow, okay. It sounds like it might be a better plan to transfer luggage via our car ourselves. Bell services handling it sounds so nice in theory, but if it isn’t good in practice, I can see where it would be troublesome!

Thank you all!

@tinkerbelletreasure Could you give us details on the Lime Green Mickey?
This is going back a while. I’ve been a part of these boards for over a decade. One of the paint companies used to have a line of Disney themed paint and you could get the sample color cards at like Lowe’s and Home Depot. They were Shaped like Mickey heads. People from Dis used to attach lime green ones to bags, strollers ect to signal to other Dis members that they were from these boards so they could meet.

We’ll be at the POP the 3rd -the 10th! I’ve never met anyone from the boards but back in the day I used to pin the lime green Micky heads to our backpacks just in case! L
Me too, I think I only spoke to a couple different people from the DIS over the years but it was still fun. I still look for them when I go.
I know there are definitely people that love split stays but they are not my favorite. I have done a few because we wanted to take advantage of different deals or stay at Uni but each time we do it I get exasperated with myself for planning a split stay at least once lol If you do decide to stick with the split stay plan I would narrow it down to 2

ADR day today and got everything we wanted! I was surprised to see many openings available for Beaches and Cream all day on Thursday the 1st. I have never been able to get a reservation there in the past so this will be our first time eating there! Also booked a lunch at Skipper Canteen, late night park closing time for Oga's, and a breakfast at Boma! So excited!!

A must for us during split stays is is packing cubes from Amazon. They keep our luggage nice and organized. I'll either bring extra cubes for dirty clothes, or a bag to just move all the dirty clothes from one room to the other. Hubby and I did 8 nights in April 2021, with 1 night at Holiday Inn, 1 night at Saratoga Springs, 2 nights at Portofino Bay, 2 nights Vero Beach (2 different rooms), 2 nights back at Saratoga Springs. The packing cubes were a life saver! I didn't even have to stay up late packing the night before we returned home like I normally would. 😆

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter