• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official Dopey 2017 Thread

Ok all you Dopey Runners, how is the training going? I just got my tail kicked in a marathon this past weekend and am licking my wounds, cross training and getting set to make a go at Dopey! How are all of you doing? Next week is November!

Two weeks and 7 training runs until my marathon. Hopefully it will go well. Then planning 2 weeks off with just a 5k at work in that timeframe followed by maintenance/rebuilding up through Dopey. Overall, training has gone well since a couple of missed runs and injury scares in late August.

Ok all you Dopey Runners, how is the training going? I just got my tail kicked in a marathon this past weekend and am licking my wounds, cross training and getting set to make a go at Dopey! How are all of you doing? Next week is November!
Going well. Had a nice long run on Sunday. Ran 3 miles today. Have no races until dopey so I'm going to continue to ramp things up but also don't want to go too far too fast.

I'm on Week 8 of the Higdon Dopey Training Plan and feel like it's going pretty well. Getting in all the prescribed mileage at slightly faster than marathon goal pace for the most part. I feel like I should be doing a little more speed work and running a few more hills than I have so far.

Finished a 5k a couple of weeks ago a little off pace from where I wanted to be though it felt like a good run. As for upcoming races, I have the Hard Rock Cafe 10k in Hollywood the first Saturday of November, followed by the Infinity Gauntlet Challenge at Disneyland the following weekend, and a 10k Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving. Still haven't decided whether to attempt a PR at the Avengers Half or just stay within my overall Dopey pace goal.

I had hurt my knee training for the 2015 Walt Disney World Marathon so I'm hoping to avoid injury this go round, finish training strong and go into Dopey healthy and ready to run 48.6 miles. Feeling good so far. Hope everyone else is doing just as well!

Ran my fourth 20 miler this past Sunday. Up to 7 repeats on my 800m lactate threshold workout routine (though I must admit that this routine totally wipes out my legs for a few days). I am right on track. I am so looking forward to participating in these races in January. Really getting excited.

So far, so good! Did 3/8/16 this past weekend and it went well - I was super tired after the 8 and woke up Sunday wondering if I really had 16 in me, but after a couple miles, I actually felt better than I did the day before. So that's encouraging! I've got a cut-back to 9 miles this weekend, the W&D races next weekend, cut-back after that, a 4/9.5/18, cut-back, 2/5/11/20, cut-back, 3/6/12/20, then a 3-week taper.

Last edited:
I did 3/6/12 this past weekend (plus another 3-miler earlier in the week)...other than some IT Band pain creeping up near the end of the 12-miler, it went pretty well. In the immediate days following I was pretty disappointed about the IT Band pain but now that I'm a little more removed (and the IT Band hasn't bothered me at all since Sunday) I feel better about how it went. :)

20 miles today! (I'm self-employed, so I have the option to kill the occasional weekday morning if need be.) It actually felt pretty good, especially compared to the 17 I did coming off a cold.

I also have IT band warnings after these long runs, but the next morning I get on the slide board for 20 minutes, and I'm able to run again the next day without any trouble. After the 17, both knees were flaring up, but this time it was just the left one, which shut me down for a few weeks in the summer. The left hip/glute just can't get in gear like I want it to, so I'll be getting strict with myself on strength work and stretching for the home stretch.

Otherwise, the training has gone very well. I've had to get a little creative with scheduling due to a couple races, but so far so good. The last one will be Wine and Dine, then it's All Dopey All the Time.

One thing that happened today, however, is that for several stretches I felt like I was totally in the zone. I kind of compare it to hitting the sweet spot in golf, baseball, or tennis. In those cases, everything clicks and you can rocket the ball, but barely feel the impact. In the case of running, I just felt like my stride was strong, easy, and I was gliding over the road. It happened off and on through the whole 20 miles. I hope I can get that back!

I surprised myself yesterday at the Manchester City Marathon in Manchester, NH. I wasn't even planning on doing this race until I got a discount code in the beginning of October. At that time I was way ahead of my Dopey training, already finishing a 15 mile run. I added an 18, and then a 20 the week after, then took a two week taper. The weather yesterday in NH was perfect - mid to upper 40's. I started out a little faster than I wanted, and just dialed it back a little, trying to keep below 9 minute miles. I was wearing a 4 hour marathon pace band, and saw my lead on 4 hours growing every mile. By time I got to mile 2o I was beat. I was wondering what the hell I was thinking, until I got to mile 21, and realized that I could actually PR if I kept up my pace. I kept it up, and sprinted the final .2 miles and ended up beating my best time (which was at last years Manchester City Marathon) by three minutes with a time of 3:50:08!!:yay: I don't know what I did, but I'm very happy and feel like I am right on track as far as training goes. In the next couple of weeks I will back off to 18, and then ramp up to 20 again!

This may not be the place for this and have no problem deleting if so. Has anyone participated in the keys100? There is a relay version that I want to try and be a part of. I don't know very many runners and the ones I do know do not have the most supportive counterparts. The run is held in May which is a horrible time in Florida but suffering with people makes for a good time right. If anyone has done it or knows a place where people like me can find teams looking for people or even wanting to start a team The teams can have as many as six people. Just for a quick description. Basically starts in key largo and ends in key west. The segments can be broken down to almost any distance the team wants except one seven mile stretch. I'm just trying to learn some things and be part of something kind of crazy any help is appreciated.

This may not be the place for this and have no problem deleting if so. Has anyone participated in the keys100? There is a relay version that I want to try and be a part of. I don't know very many runners and the ones I do know do not have the most supportive counterparts. The run is held in May which is a horrible time in Florida but suffering with people makes for a good time right. If anyone has done it or knows a place where people like me can find teams looking for people or even wanting to start a team The teams can have as many as six people. Just for a quick description. Basically starts in key largo and ends in key west. The segments can be broken down to almost any distance the team wants except one seven mile stretch. I'm just trying to learn some things and be part of something kind of crazy any help is appreciated.

Check out the Let's Run Disney podcast for June 2016. One of the hosts attempted to do one of the races solo so not a relay experience but still interesting. As far as getting up a team maybe try facebook. I know a lot of the Ragnar races have people looking for or needing teams and they use that a lot. And that seven miles is the 7 mile bridge - brutal. I'm almost always game for a relay so if you start a team and need a runner I could be interested. :)

Check out the Let's Run Disney podcast for June 2016. One of the hosts attempted to do one of the races solo so not a relay experience but still interesting. As far as getting up a team maybe try facebook. I know a lot of the Ragnar races have people looking for or needing teams and they use that a lot. And that seven miles is the 7 mile bridge - brutal. I'm almost always game for a relay so if you start a team and need a runner I could be interested. :)
Awesome. I will keep you in mind. I've learned some from watching videos and the website. I'm one of the few people on the planet that doesn't have Facebook so I guess I should learn to use the wife's. I had an obvious thought today about local running clubs. When the thought came to me I thought "why didn't you think of that sooner"

I'm in tough shape for the Dopey. I'm just making my way back from an injury to my Peroneal Tendon on my left foot back in June. The damage caused pain all the way past the knee. It's in good shape now, but I lost so much training time. I had wanted to run the races, but I think I'm out of runway to do that. I've been able to walk longer distances, but I couldn't run because of the pounding on that part of the foot. So, I know I can finish all 4 races walking. It's the smart decision to do, but there's that small part of me that wants to finish faster, and wants me to train more aggressively for these next 6 weeks.

I need the rational side of me to win, or I'll likely re-injure and not be able to do anything. Sigh!

I'm in tough shape for the Dopey. I'm just making my way back from an injury to my Peroneal Tendon on my left foot back in June. The damage caused pain all the way past the knee. It's in good shape now, but I lost so much training time. I had wanted to run the races, but I think I'm out of runway to do that. I've been able to walk longer distances, but I couldn't run because of the pounding on that part of the foot. So, I know I can finish all 4 races walking. It's the smart decision to do, but there's that small part of me that wants to finish faster, and wants me to train more aggressively for these next 6 weeks.

I need the rational side of me to win, or I'll likely re-injure and not be able to do anything. Sigh!

Yikes I was just diagnosed with injury yesterday but mine doesn't sound as bad as yours. Sounds like you've been making good decisions on recovering though.

That's tough. We all know the urge to run gets stronger when we can't do it. There might be some things you can do instead of the usual miles... like work on some strength and flexibility training. Some yoga. Maybe some really intense core work. There are other areas where you can work hard and push yourself that won't affect the injury or your ability to finish. You can think of it as laying a foundation for when you can get back to it. Or, if you can't look fast, maybe get a little lean and look good doing it! :)

Does anybody take an approach of running hard for the half and then taking it easy for the full? I just did the W&D half, which was my first half of any kind. My goal was to beat 2 hours, and I got 1:56, so mission accomplished. I see that Dopey and Goofy are still available for this January. It would be a challenge for me to get up to shape for the full marathon, which I've never done. So I was thinking about trying to beat my time for the half, and then dialing back and enjoying the sights for the full, maybe in 5 or 5-1/2 hours, rather than trying to beat 4 hours.

Does anybody take an approach of running hard for the half and then taking it easy for the full? I just did the W&D half, which was my first half of any kind. My goal was to beat 2 hours, and I got 1:56, so mission accomplished. I see that Dopey and Goofy are still available for this January. It would be a challenge for me to get up to shape for the full marathon, which I've never done. So I was thinking about trying to beat my time for the half, and then dialing back and enjoying the sights for the full, maybe in 5 or 5-1/2 hours, rather than trying to beat 4 hours.

Sure, you can approach it however you want. For Dark Side earlier this year, I took the 10k at a relaxed pace, then raced the half marathon for time. Some folks race all the races, and some don't race any of them. You can mix and match in whatever way works best for your enjoyment and goals.

I have quiet a few questions about runDisney. I heard that participants have access to purchase limited edition shoes? there are characters on the track that only come out for races that you can take pictures with? can you take pictures with them after the race or are some of them only during the race?? Is there something special that you get for doing all the challenges in one year??
this is my second post, so sorry if i broke a rule. please let me know.

I have quiet a few questions about runDisney. I heard that participants have access to purchase limited edition shoes? there are characters on the track that only come out for races that you can take pictures with? can you take pictures with them after the race or are some of them only during the race?? Is there something special that you get for doing all the challenges in one year??
this is my second post, so sorry if i broke a rule. please let me know.
New Balance releases runDisney shoes every year. This years shoes are based on attractions. Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Mad Tea Party, and Toy Story Mania.

There are character before, during, and after races.

Not sure what you mean by doing all the challenges in one year. If you do a challenge you get an extra medal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter