OFFICIAL Disney Cake Chatter Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to say thank you to lurkyloo and others on the thread for the helpful information....I had some great emails going back and forth between Chef Brian and have since called to place my order for a mini cake ...

It will be a camouflage fondant covered vanilla mini cake with a the deer made of an edible image backed in white choc standing up next to the cake. On the plate it will be written in chocolate "Happy Anniversary Deer"

I was quoted $60 for the cake - which I didnt think was too bad at all :confused3 and it will be delivered to us on 9/14 at Tony's Town Square...

I cant wait to see DH's reaction he is going to LOVE it...I'll be sure to post pictures as soon as it comes to the table!

Thanks to all for great photos and info! I spoke to Pat today, and ordered my husband's 35th birthday cake fir 1900 PF on Sept 21. It is a 6 in 3 layer chocolate cake with amaretto filling. It will be covered in fondant and will have a swamp like appearance, with vines and cattails. There will be a pond, with a hand sculpted frog wearing a gold crown. The banner will say "Happy Birthday to our Prince Charming!". Pat quoted me $125. Does that sound about right? Also, can I use my TIW?

Just wanted to say thank you to lurkyloo and others on the thread for the helpful information....I had some great emails going back and forth between Chef Brian and have since called to place my order for a mini cake ...

Yay! Can't wait to see it!

Thanks to all for great photos and info! I spoke to Pat today, and ordered my husband's 35th birthday cake fir 1900 PF on Sept 21. It is a 6 in 3 layer chocolate cake with amaretto filling. It will be covered in fondant and will have a swamp like appearance, with vines and cattails. There will be a pond, with a hand sculpted frog wearing a gold crown. The banner will say "Happy Birthday to our Prince Charming!". Pat quoted me $125. Does that sound about right? Also, can I use my TIW?

That's a typical price. You can use your Tables in Wonderland card, but it will trigger an 18% gratuity on the price of the cake, so you'll only be saving 2%.

Just found out we've been upgraded to a club level room - should I ask them for help with a cake, or is that something they do? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks for any help!

Are the mini cakes $30.00 if you choose something plain without fondant? I wanted to get one with a stand up choc screenprint princess.

I had a beautiful anniversary cake made by Chef Brian in December 2010. Could anyone tell me if the email address I saved would be the same today? TIA.:goodvibes

I'm trying to decide if I should get a standard podium cake for my daughter's 5th birthday at the Wave, or a custom cake. There will only be 5 of us. Her favorite princess right now is Merida (she's getting a Merida dress for her birthday). Has anyone had a Merida/Brave themed cake done? How about cakes from the Contemporary? A few years ago I ordered a custom cake from the Grand and it was fantastic - worth every penny!

Just found out we've been upgraded to a club level room - should I ask them for help with a cake, or is that something they do? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks for any help!

That is something they can help you with but, personally, I always prefer to deal directly with the chef/Private Dining myself just so I can be sure to get what I want.

Is it possible to get a cake at Shulas at the swan and dolphin?

You'd need to call them directly to see what the options are.

Are the mini cakes $30.00 if you choose something plain without fondant? I wanted to get one with a stand up choc screenprint princess.

Buttercream can be cheaper than fondant, but a screen print adds to the cost. Every cake is custom-quoted, so you'll really need to contact Private Dining to find out an exact price.

I had a beautiful anniversary cake made by Chef Brian in December 2010. Could anyone tell me if the email address I saved would be the same today? TIA.:goodvibes

Yep!

I'm trying to decide if I should get a standard podium cake for my daughter's 5th birthday at the Wave, or a custom cake. There will only be 5 of us. Her favorite princess right now is Merida (she's getting a Merida dress for her birthday). Has anyone had a Merida/Brave themed cake done? How about cakes from the Contemporary? A few years ago I ordered a custom cake from the Grand and it was fantastic - worth every penny!

I haven't seen a Merida/Brave-themed cake yet, so maybe you can be our guinea pig! :teeth: Many people on this thread have had great experiences ordering cakes from the Contemporary. Just be sure you get the email address for the pastry chef from Private Dining if you do decide to go the custom route. That way you can work directly with him to create what you have in mind.

Chef Mickey's Contemporary
August 2012
6-inch, gluten-free vanilla cake with berry filling
decorated for 50th wedding anniversary
$78 plus tax & tip

IMG_2816.jpg

IMG_2821.jpg

My mother really enjoyed this as she needed gluten-free and most restaurants were giving chocolate brownies as desserts ... she doesn't like chocolate :confused3 Left the filling choice to Chef Brian - the berry filling balanced the "heaviness" of the gluten-free cake perfectly.

Had a group of 15 -- only 8 adults had a piece (saving rest for Grandma's leftovers) and still had half the cake left.

Hoping to get some advice/suggestions. We are leaving for Disney September 20th which is my boy/girl twins 8th birthday. We have dinner reservations at Whispering Canyon that night - there will be 12 people in our party. What would you suggest to get as a cake? I am not sure if I should do individual cakes or just a larger cake with both names on it which they wouldnt mind having the same cake.

This is all of our first time going to Disney - there are 4 moms and 5 kids (I am the only lucky one to have twins haha) the other 3 people is my sister, brother in law and neice but they are only going to be there the 20th then going home since they are arriving 4days before us. All of the Disney stuff is overwhelming, I am sure we are going to have a blast but no one has experience at WDW.

For boy girl twins a fab 5 cake would be cool! Unisex and after all it all started with the mouse!

Hoping to get some advice/suggestions. We are leaving for Disney September 20th which is my boy/girl twins 8th birthday. We have dinner reservations at Whispering Canyon that night - there will be 12 people in our party. What would you suggest to get as a cake? I am not sure if I should do individual cakes or just a larger cake with both names on it which they wouldnt mind having the same cake.

This is all of our first time going to Disney - there are 4 moms and 5 kids (I am the only lucky one to have twins haha) the other 3 people is my sister, brother in law and neice but they are only going to be there the 20th then going home since they are arriving 4days before us. All of the Disney stuff is overwhelming, I am sure we are going to have a blast but no one has experience at WDW.

Boy/girl twins at Whispering Canyon - how about Woody and Jessie?

Chef Brian-- SUPERSTAR!!!!!!

My brother was asking his fiance to marry him in the train on the way down to our giant family trip to the Dis!!! They'd been dating 8 years, we knew she was going to say yes, so I decided to order a cake!!! Here are the specs:

Price- $147
Date Receive- 8/29/12
Location- California Grill, Contemporary
Flavors- Orange Cake with Amaretto Crunch filling (THIS WAS SO AMAZING)
Special requests- I asked for white fondant, the silver Mickey wave, and pink flowers (Bride's fave color). I wanted something "bride & groomy" for an engagement, but NOT the Mickey bride & groom, which I thought was inappropriate.
The cake was 8 inches (we were on the DxDP and even though we had 13 ppl, I knew we didn't need a ten inch cake!!!)- It was ALSO my brother's birthday. The cake came out better than I EVER DREAMED, and the taste was PHENOMENAL.

(Mickey) Hats off to you, Chef Brian!!! We just loved it.

eface558.jpg

Just for an idea, I drew up these simple designs for a fondant cake and had Chef Brian give me a quote. $200 for the single layer and $450 for the double. I was planning on a LOT of differing colors of fondant. My directives were "color color color". I drew these up for our Jan. trip but decided to do them on our trip next month. I think. :)

Boy/girl twins at Whispering Canyon - how about Woody and Jessie?
Great idea! Or Mickey and Minnie? ...Donald and Daisy? ... Lilo and Stitch?

Wow there are so many possibilities lol, but I would definitely go with one larger cake vs. two small cakes. It will be less expensive, and you should be able to get something plenty big enough for everyone to share. The only reason I would make an exception and go with two cakes is if the birthday kids really don't like the same flavor cake. In that case I'd spring for two cakes. :thumbsup2

Hi All! I am planning a party for my sister's 40th birthday at Citrico's Chef's Table. We will be 10 ladies drinking and having a great time with plans for Jellyrolls afterwards. i.e., I want it to be an awesome cake - but we aren't really going to eat that much!

Based on lots of research done on this site, I drew up a sketch of what I wanted and have been emailing with the infamous Pat at the Grand Floridian. The quote for the original design was 400. I decided that was too much - they agreed that they could do a similar design on a 1 tier for about 190. I said ok.

My question is about advice for dealing with Pat. She is friendly but she doesn't get the rave reviews that Chef Brian does and I've actually seen some negative anecdotes. When she outlined my filling choices, she didn't outline all that are listed on this and so many other sites. She listed choc/vanilla buttercream or strawberry / rasberry mousse. That's it. I want the custard with strawberries or one of the other exotic ones.

So - am I missing something? Am i just looking for something to go wrong? Any suggestions? If our dinner is at Citrico's - I don't think I have many choices! Any hints / suggestions / etc. welcome! thanks!

Just for an idea, I drew up these simple designs for a fondant cake and had Chef Brian give me a quote. $200 for the single layer and $450 for the double. I was planning on a LOT of differing colors of fondant. My directives were "color color color". I drew these up for our Jan. trip but decided to do them on our trip next month. I think. :)

That cake is going to be awesome!!! Please post pics when you get back!!!

My question is about advice for dealing with Pat. She is friendly but she doesn't get the rave reviews that Chef Brian does and I've actually seen some negative anecdotes. When she outlined my filling choices, she didn't outline all that are listed on this and so many other sites. She listed choc/vanilla buttercream or strawberry / rasberry mousse. That's it. I want the custard with strawberries or one of the other exotic ones.

So - am I missing something? Am i just looking for something to go wrong? Any suggestions? If our dinner is at Citrico's - I don't think I have many choices! Any hints / suggestions / etc. welcome! thanks!

I think the trick with the flavors is to ask for something specific. The Grand Floridian Bakery does almost all the wedding cakes on property in almost any flavor combo you can think of. But when you call private dining they never offer any of these up as suggestions—maybe because most people are happy with the limited chocolate, vanilla or fruit choices... :confused3 Go through the list in the first post of this thread or brainstorm whatever combo you want, and then just tell Pat that's what you want and see what she says. For what you're spending, it shouldn't be a burden for the bakery to whip up a less common mousse and/or cake flavor.

Hi All! I am planning a party for my sister's 40th birthday at Citrico's Chef's Table. We will be 10 ladies drinking and having a great time with plans for Jellyrolls afterwards. i.e., I want it to be an awesome cake - but we aren't really going to eat that much!

Based on lots of research done on this site, I drew up a sketch of what I wanted and have been emailing with the infamous Pat at the Grand Floridian. The quote for the original design was 400. I decided that was too much - they agreed that they could do a similar design on a 1 tier for about 190. I said ok.

I'm interested to see replies about this. I have been playing phone tag with Pat for about 5 days now. I want a two tier mini cake with a Sleeping Beauty theme. She suggested the stand up image on chocolate. Not at all what I want. But I can't get in touch with her to discuss it!!

On a side note, are the mini two tier cakes really only 3" big?? That's a lot smaller than I thought. Is the bottom layer 3" or the top one??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter