Official DISNEY Cake Chatter Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, me again, I leave in 3 days, so you won't have to listen to me again after that LOL. I am really frustrated with the YC private dining. I called them Wed, 2 weeks before I need the cake. She didn't call me back till Friday afternoon, with the outrageous $275 quote. I have not seen anything else on here anywhere near that high. So I have e-mailed her twice since with no response. So, I am not very hopeful for my Yachstman dinner than I have been planning for over a year.
Has anyone had good luck with the Boardwalk? We are staying in villas, we are DVC. Maybe they could do something nice and have it in our room? Do they do the fondant covered cakes? And would they put it in the room if we weren't there? I would want it to be there when we got back as a surprise.
I am totally running out of time at this point and am not sure what else to do. I will be at the CR for two days, but that starts this Friday, not enough time, and I really don't want the cake that long before the anniversary itself.

I was wondering if there was an email address for private dining at Yacht Club, AKL and Grand Floridian? (not somebodies private email address, just an email address for private dining at each of the three resorts)

I am wanting to order three cakes for different occasions for our vacation in three weeks.

The thing is being from Australia it is very very expensive to call, so to call all three private dinings will cost me a fortune. Is it possible to organise the cakes via email?

I don't know if they can be posted here, but if anybody has the private dining email address for YC, AKL and GF would it be possible to PM them to me?

If I wait until we get there, then there will only be a couple of days to organise the different cakes and I would really like to get them organised and email pictures before we leave for the USA and they also won't be a surprise as I will have ears listening to what I am trying to organise :rotfl2:

Would really love some advise. I can't believe the trip has finally come around. I have been following this thread for a year planning our cakes and the time has finally come :yay:

I was wondering if there was an email address for private dining at Yacht Club, AKL and Grand Floridian? (not somebodies private email address, just an email address for private dining at each of the three resorts)

I am wanting to order three cakes for different occasions for our vacation in three weeks.

The thing is being from Australia it is very very expensive to call, so to call all three private dinings will cost me a fortune. Is it possible to organise the cakes via email?

I don't know if they can be posted here, but if anybody has the private dining email address for YC, AKL and GF would it be possible to PM them to me?

If I wait until we get there, then there will only be a couple of days to organise the different cakes and I would really like to get them organised and email pictures before we leave for the USA and they also won't be a surprise as I will have ears listening to what I am trying to organise :rotfl2:

Would really love some advise. I can't believe the trip has finally come around. I have been following this thread for a year planning our cakes and the time has finally come :yay:

Just a suggestion, but have you tried using Skype? I found it to be quite affordable/reasonable for making long distance calls. I'm not sure what the rates would be for Australia, but you may want to look into it.

Just a suggestion, but have you tried using Skype? I found it to be quite affordable/reasonable for making long distance calls. I'm not sure what the rates would be for Australia, but you may want to look into it.

My husband uses Skype to talk to parents in Australia and it's only about 5 cents a minute...10 at the most. Probably the cheapest you'll get anywhere.

I have victory!!! Yvette finally got back to me, and they gave me the cake for $175. Granted that is still a HUGE amount of money for a cake, but it sure beats the $275 they were quoting me!!! Hopefully I can get the bill myself, cuz dh will die when he sees that price!
Now, to see what it looks and tastes like. I will find out one week from tomorrow!!! Now back to your regularly scheduled, non whiny, programming.

We had a cake delivered to our room last week at BLT. I was in contact with Chef Brian before leaving - when I made the reservation I was instructed to call private dining when we checked in and give them our room number. I did this and also asked that the time of delivery be moved from 1:00 to 3:00 - I was told the cake would not be delivered without someone in the room. We arrived back to our room around 2:30 and I had this "feeling" so I went in 1st and sure enough there was the cake sitting on the table - I ran back in the hall and told hubby to occupy the kids for a minute. I got everything arranged and here is the result
DSCN1027.jpg

DSCN1029.jpg

DSCN1075.jpg

My girls were so excited it was great - they thought it came because they filled out the kids check in book downstairs and it asked what they were celebrating and my DD8 put birthday down!! They were beyond thrilled. The cake was beautiful and would definitely feed 16 people it cost $75. We didn't eat 1/4 of it - there was so much. I'm glad I did it once but I know for sure I won't be ordering a cake that big again - it just felt so wasteful. I did enjoy the experience though and the looks on my daughters faces was priceless!!

My husband uses Skype to talk to parents in Australia and it's only about 5 cents a minute...10 at the most. Probably the cheapest you'll get anywhere.

Thank you both for your replies :goodvibes

I don't have skype though and to set it up for a one off to order cakes seems a bit complicated :rotfl2: I'm technically challenged. An email address would solve the problem and then one phone call once it was organised and give credit card would just be easier.

I believe it was - the original picture he sent over to me had pink icing - I had them change it to the blue of Cinderella's dress - so I'm pretty sure you would be able to pick any color you wanted. We just did a basic buttercream icing with buttercream filling.

Do they really not do the Mad Hatter shaped cakes anymore? I just called AKL and the girl told me they can't do it because of "copyright infringement." I was thinking she just didn't understand what I was asking for.

:rotfl: There's no copyright on Mad Hatter cakes! You can get them anywhere, even places that aren't owned by Disney. I think this is a case of "call, call again"! :thumbsup2

Do they really not do the Mad Hatter shaped cakes anymore? I just called AKL and the girl told me they can't do it because of "copyright infringement." I was thinking she just didn't understand what I was asking for.

:rotfl: There's no copyright on Mad Hatter cakes! You can get them anywhere, even places that aren't owned by Disney. I think this is a case of "call, call again"! :thumbsup2

Mufasa0505, I think the problem is that you are dealing with AKL and a cake. :rolleyes: I believe that they can/will only do a 6" cake. There is a picture on here of a Mad Hatter style cake with Jack Skellington and Sally on it from AKL but good luck.

That's what I thought. I left a message for the chef, so hopefully she calls me back.

By the time I got off the phone with her, I was doubting myself. :rotfl:

She was probably thinking you wanted it decorated with Mad Hatter. There may be a copyright infringement on Alice & Wonderland characters.

Hi everyone! I lurk on this thread because I love cakes :love:

I got curious about the mad hatter cake and wondered if that style was copyrighted. Maybe the staff member was talking about the character but maybe it was deeper... :cool2:

I just popped over and asked some of my caking buddies as this had been a hotly debated item. This is what they said about copyright of Mad Hatter style of cakes. Said caking buddies are from all over the world. The name Mad hatter is copyrighted (presumably by the folks who did Alice and Wonderland). People have come up with other terms to describe this style cake - topsy turvey or tipsy or whimiscal cake as a substitute of this phrase. There was conversation that someone (Polly something or other???) has copyrighted the actual name "whimsy cake" so that one really shouldn't be used by anyone other than her when advertising or marketing this style. But I have seen it everywhere and used interchangeably.

I would think if you referred to it as something other than Mad Hatter you should be ok.

Or... maybe it was the character she was referring to.

BTW, I stopped at Boardwalk Bakery during my trip and it was divine. Picked up a cake or two to enjoy for a couple of birthdays. Lovely shop!

I just called to get to talk to one of the pastry chefs. (didn't talk to one....but the guy I was talking to was helping me out) Anyway, he was saying that they don't do 8" custom cakes is this correct. Man 10" of cake is going to be ALOT for the 4 of us. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I just called to get to talk to one of the pastry chefs. (didn't talk to one....but the guy I was talking to was helping me out) Anyway, he was saying that they don't do 8" custom cakes is this correct. Man 10" of cake is going to be ALOT for the 4 of us. Does anyone know if this is correct?

That is what I had to order for the Yachstman, and it is just 4 of us, and I'm sure about 2/3 of it will get tossed, but I just wanted a big pretty cake just once!

Where did you call? So far, only Yacht & Beach Club has this rule. Contemporary will go as small as 8 inches and Grand Floridian goes down to 6 inches for a customized cake. :thumbsup2

FYI, polynesian resorts or restaurants diners(ohana, kona) can order cake from Grand Floridian and they will pick up cakes at GF for free. I jsut called poly's private dining. Isn't that great? mini castyle cakes, mickey statue, cinderella slippers....great news!

Poly does not have any bakery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter