Official 2017 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend!

So what I'm hearing when yall are talking about the weather is that pre-ordering the race jacket was a wise investment and not just me being a shopaholic!

Sunny during the day and cool at night sounds lovely to me.

So what I'm hearing when yall are talking about the weather is that pre-ordering the race jacket was a wise investment and not just me being a shopaholic!

Humid weather always confuses me because sun down and overcast sky to my senses usually mean cold, lol! Warm/hot during those two things is so baffling. Also humid weather makes me break out like crazy. I had to use witch hazel the past two weeks in Florida to keep my skin under control.

Nice thing about Cali: no matter where you are in the state, generally the temperature feels no warmer than what it actually is. SoCal does tend to be warmer than NorCal, though.

It was lovely. I'm excited!

Weather talk....last year, wasn't it raining for the 10k? The year prior it rained heavily on the 5k. Remember being woke up by the rain that morning and felt bad for the 5kers.
Pack a little poncho just in case.

Weather talk....last year, wasn't it raining for the 10k? The year prior it rained heavily on the 5k. Remember being woke up by the rain that morning and felt bad for the 5kers.

I don't remember any rain during last year's Tink weekend, but maybe that is selective memory. I'm looking forward to getting to the expo on Thurs. instead of on Fri. as with my past two 1/2s, so hopefully a better selection of merch. Also looking forward to checking out the rD New Balance shoes. And, of course, looking forward to a celebratory Mother's Day brunch after the race :)

5K 2015 was pretty wet (it cleared up after the race, though, and was a sunny day). The 10K 2016 was damp, but it was just a minor sprinkle that stopped before the corrals were even released. I was fully dry long before we started. Although driving to Anaheim from Costa Mesa had me a little worried how wet it was...

Question of the Week: What are you most looking forward to during Tink weekend...race-wise or otherwise?
I'm looking forward to running my first half (did the Tink 10K last year), staying at the Grand Californian, and celebrating mother's day with my mom!

5K 2015 was pretty wet (it cleared up after the race, though, and was a sunny day). The 10K 2016 was damp, but it was just a minor sprinkle that stopped before the corrals were even released. I was fully dry long before we started. Although driving to Anaheim from Costa Mesa had me a little worried how wet it was...

As long as it doesn't rain for the 1/2 I'll be ok.

I've had fairly good luck at Disney races setting PRs, so I'd like to be able to break 2:45 finally during the race. I'm sitting at a 2:49 (formally 2:52) and I know as I work hard through the next two months that I can do it. The course is flat, I know the streets. I'm so close... maybe I'll get some pixie dust and get to 2:44:59.

How do you manage to get a PR? :) I've found that I lose a lot of time trying to get around groups of walkers at Disney races. I think my Star Wars 10K was 10 minutes slower than my previous local 10K. I'm hoping now that I have an official time submitted, I'll get a better corral. Since I haven't done a half yet, does running on the streets of Anaheim get less crowding on the course?

Love getting my Mother's Day carnation flower at the gate and a nice Mother's Day dinner at the Blue Bayou. It's just a fun race weekend in my favorite place.

My mom and I are also planning to eat at Blue Bayou for Mother's Day! I don't remember carnations last year. Is that just at Disneyland?

Briefly before the race started. I waited it out for a few minutes in Earl of Sandwich and it didn't rain again that day. I don't remember rain any other time that weekend.

How do you manage to get a PR? :) I've found that I lose a lot of time trying to get around groups of walkers at Disney races. I think my Star Wars 10K was 10 minutes slower than my previous local 10K. I'm hoping now that I have an official time submitted, I'll get a better corral. Since I haven't done a half yet, does running on the streets of Anaheim get less crowding on the course?

The streets of Anaheim are super wide and if you stick to tangents you will have good luck. I also don't stop for pictures and stick to my time.

For the 10k I PR'd I signed up for the 10k race without the challenges and put myself in an earlier corral. I can usually manage a 10-12 min mile depending on distance and placed myself a little bit ahead to not tire my feet while waiting around.

I think the biggest thing is to go in with a goal. For tink I'm signed up to run the half without a challenge - so I can focus on time and not be tired.

For princess I stuck with the 2:45 pacer and managed to finish in 2:49 - 3.5 mins faster than my half PR from a long earlier. I don't know how else to say how I did it other than I went in with a goal and chose to run my race with that goal. I don't notice course crowding ... but your mileage may vary.

Wow! So much today! Gotta keep up! :) I think we are the most enthusiastic, excited group! :)
I second, third, fourth, or whatever number the Fairy Fridays! So long, yet so soon!
What I'm looking forward to most....so hard to pick! My first sister trip with my sister! Running in my first disney race! California for the first time! So many "firsts" this trip!
And I'm so glad temp and clothes were brought up, my sis and I were just talking about this today...wondering about a little cosplay since this is a girls trip (NO WAY my husband would EVER go near this idea!!) and themed clothes days. Thanks for the weather info! Sounds like I might need to rethink my shorts and go for more capris. Anyone every done the cosplay thing? Pinterest had such cute ideas. For my fam of four, I usually do the matching or coordinated tee shirts that I either buy or make iron ons for.

Since I've never ran a half, I'll get a PR as long as I cross the finish!
But I'm imagining that negative splitting may be in my future since the first 10k is around the parks and then it opens up in the streets. So maybe the forced "not out too fast" will help a burst at the end. But I could be totally wrong (Half newbie!!)

Wow! So much today! Gotta keep up! :) I think we are the most enthusiastic, excited group! :)
I second, third, fourth, or whatever number the Fairy Fridays! So long, yet so soon!
What I'm looking forward to most....so hard to pick! My first sister trip with my sister! Running in my first disney race! California for the first time! So many "firsts" this trip!
And I'm so glad temp and clothes were brought up, my sis and I were just talking about this today...wondering about a little cosplay since this is a girls trip (NO WAY my husband would EVER go near this idea!!) and themed clothes days. Thanks for the weather info! Sounds like I might need to rethink my shorts and go for more capris. Anyone every done the cosplay thing? Pinterest had such cute ideas. For my fam of four, I usually do the matching or coordinated tee shirts that I either buy or make iron ons for.

I maybe have YouTubed the term "Disneybound" a bunch of times to see the cool way people channel characters wearing normal clothes. Still not sure if I'll actually do it or just wear running shirts all weekend??? I say you should do it at least once!!!!! And post pics here :)

I'm looking forward to everything about this trip. It is only my 2nd DL trip, the first was 5 years ago. DH and I are going just the two of us to celebrate our 25th anniversary. He is running his first 10k. I'm going to be getting the C2C, and definitely both since I just did Princess and I'm doing Dark Side too. Also, we are spending several nights at the GC!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter