Official 2017 HHN-27 Thread

My son and his girlfriend are attending HHN on September 29. This will be there first time. Do they need express passes? Do we need to purchase them now or wait until that night? We already have flex tickets for them and will only be in Orlando until Monday, October 2. Would it be better for them to go on Thursday night? A lot of questions. Sorry. They will be staying at Cabana Bay and will not be in the parks during the day. Any information anyone can give will be appreciated.

My son and his girlfriend are attending HHN on September 29. This will be there first time. Do they need express passes? Do we need to purchase them now or wait until that night? We already have flex tickets for them and will only be in Orlando until Monday, October 2. Would it be better for them to go on Thursday night? A lot of questions. Sorry. They will be staying at Cabana Bay and will not be in the parks during the day. Any information anyone can give will be appreciated.

sept 29 will have larger crowds than the night before.

friday the park will close at 2 am
assume thursday will be an hour earlier
hhn tickets should be a tad cheaper for the week night.
might be better for them to go thursday and not friday.

i would not do a weekend night without ep
less line waits.

but there are many that go to hhn and not buy the ep.

buy a day ticket and stay in the park at one of the holding sections.
those peeps will have a head start of the houses when they open.

if no park pass, then be at the UO gates at 5:00

lines will be long the hour prior to the park opening.

My experience has been that on weekend nights (Fri/Sat) express passes are essential... I couldn't imagine going without them. You would have to wait 1-2+ hours for multiple houses, and there are 9 total. If you want to do all the houses and all/most of the rides, even with express passes it's hard to squeeze it all in.

Other nights (Wed/Th, Sun) are more manageable and you could maybe see what the crowds are like and buy the passes once there if needed.

Ultimately, a lot of it comes down to your tolerance for waiting in lines. I have a low tolerance, lol. I couldn't bear waiting just one hour for any house, so I'd go for the splurge on EPs even when it isn't brutally busy.

for what i have experienced on sundays, it is the new friday.......

could be the times i go that has me see longer line waits and more crowds in the park.

would say 4 years ago, sunday was a great time to do hhn but not anymore.

i buy the FF + w/ ep and the ep is valuable for Sundays from last week of September thru the weekend after Columbus day period.

IMG_2231.jpg

Whaaaat?!? No Walking Dead House? They might get it right this time:rolleyes1

JMHO but the Thursday before Columbus Day sure seems busier every year (well, not last year due to storm lol). Not sure how that plays out on other Thursdays.

Sunday nights being busier could be due to Industry night (many bar/restaurant service employees having Monday 'off' work).

A Friday night without a Stay and Scream head start? The only reason to not get Express Passes would be if they got RIP tour passes instead. Absolutely get the EP or RIP!

Been doing hhn each year from 1999

Line waits and days you go, have changed over the years

Usually I go for the fourth/ Columbus Day weekend period of the event as all bugs worked out by then.
Weather is decent also

My experience for busiest to least busy are these days of the week
1. Saturday
2. Friday
3. Sunday
4. Thursday
5. Wednesday

I am in the park waiting out the time in a holding area
I get a head start from those not in the park yet

Since last few years, house openings are staggered and varies if I get more than two houses done before those outside the gate are let in

Some days 3 houses will be opened early while others you may have the 3rd house open just about 6:30

But you are still ahead of the crowds

A lot depends on when security gives the all clear and holding areas are open to those inside the park

Everyone will notice crowds and line waits about 8-8:30 depending on the day
(See day of week list above)

I do not use my ep when leaving the holding area for the early opening of houses
Regular lines are short

Houses are not completely dark when you do a house before 6:45 pm if going during the first 3 weeks if hhn

So I use my ep for all houses once it is dark
I repeat the early houses I went thru earlier

I hit hhn each night I am there
I stay onsite for two weeks and buy the FF+ w/ep

Worth it for me absolutely !

If you go only one night, do a Public or private rip hhn tour

Or buy the ep

There are so many variables of how long house waits can be

I shared my experiences based on the time period I go

A few times when I have gone on a Sunday, there was enough staff for the park to stay open for one more hour that what was scheduled
Instead of 1 the park closes at 2

This is not something you can count on with extending hour

Thanks for all the info. We are staying at HRH Wednesday night and then CB after that for 4 nights. Planned to be in the parks Wednesday and Thursday. Will probably encourage them to do HHN Thursday. Need to be somewhere early Friday so I was thinking Friday night might be better but everything I'm reading tells me otherwise. Thanks again.

for what i have experienced on sundays, it is the new friday.......

could be the times i go that has me see longer line waits and more crowds in the park.

would say 4 years ago, sunday was a great time to do hhn but not anymore.

i buy the FF + w/ ep and the ep is valuable for Sundays from last week of September thru the weekend after Columbus day period.

I honestly wouldn't do any night now without EP.......but we hate queuing any amount of time :D

Rush of Fear with EP is a brilliant ticket for us.......overs every night over first 3 weeks.

But, totally agree, over the last few years there doesn't seem to be such a thing as a quiet night anymore.........we`ve been surprised how busy even opening week has become.......

really curious how it's going to be monday night, oct 30th. I never even considered doing the event without EP, but taking Macraven's advice to hold off on buying it until we get there.

check out the threads of last year on how crowded or lack of crowds were on the early weekdays.

maybe it could have the same pattern for this year.

the HHN november days in the past were not sardines packed in the parks..

and i do remember many reporting that if the 31 is on a weekend, many families do treat or treating or parties at home and not go to the park for hhn.

a lot is still unknown at this time period how the end of oct/early november will be in the parks.

wait and watch the threads about hhn attendance and it might give you a clue what to expect on crowd lines and waits.

i have never gone at the end of the hhn season.
i have no experience on the size of crowds but do remember some posters stated how it was for them.

Reactions: shh
Another newbie here! This will be bf and I's first HHN (his first time to UO in fact!). He's a huge horror fan. We'll be there opening night as it's the only date in our trip. We will be in the parks during the day and will definitely use the holding area trick.

Would you recommend we pre-purchase EP or wait and purchase during the evening depending on the crowd?

Very excited to find out about the last IP house!

opening night should not be a sell out for the ep

once the media leaves, the front of the park will not be full.

do the houses early once you leave the holding areas.

decide later when you know the line waits.
i assume you want to do all the houses and scare zones and bill and ted

but if you feel the park is really crowded early, and your time will be limited, buy the ep in the park

each year the crowds differ.
what happened last year may be different this year.

read some of last years reports of opening night crowds.
google and read last years threads from those that talk about their night at hhn.

think bill and ted shows will be packed as this is their last year.

it is the type of show you either love it or hate it.

So ready for the last IP house to be released. And even more ready for original houses!

I know that it's rumored that it'll be a Blumhouse house for the last IP, but let's just pretend that it isn't. What house would you want to see? And what original ideas would you like to see? I really wanted to see the Dollhouse house from a few years ago, so I'd love a sort-of repeat of that.

I have 44 days until Horror Nights and I just can't wait. Each day feels like a month, at this point. )-;

Couple of questions re public RIP tours & procedures

Participated for first time last year as a default due to storm cancelling a private tour I enjoy as a guest each year. Quite the fuss ensued trying to get assigned into same tour with all my friends still in town, I missed the 'gory' details in all the hubbub.

Think i have the gist of it, but confused re the following points after reading conflicting reviews/posts. Set me straight please!

* if you are already in the park as a day guest, can you skip visiting Guest Services to check in & head directly to La Bamba (to check in for tour)?

* suggested arrival time @ LaBamba seems to be anywhere from 30 - 15 minutes prior. Anyone know if you could arrive a bit earlier (as in 45 minutes?) and chill a bit longer or would you be turned away?

* does Guide meets guests @ La Bamba? are you then introduced to fellow tour members pre-tour?

TIA

Peeps in the tours check in at LaBamba about 6:15 for private tours as they start at 6:30
Person that holds the booking will check in with the tour guide.
Peeps in the group, check in with your organizer

If you are early or come late, do check in the the TM's with the clipboards.
They will direct you to where your group is inside

There should be TM's with clip boards with all names on it at the entrance of LaBamba.
They can direct you to your tour group
Same with public tour peeps.

Public tours, check in about 15 minutes in advance of your scheduled time

Do have to show your HHN ticket
If you do not have one, they will sell you one.

Anyone can walk up to their tour guide if you are there and others in your group are not.

The night I went to LaBamba, believed it was open early, maybe 6:00
(Could have been before 6:00 based on what others told me once I was there)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter