******Official 2017 Free Dining Plan Watch, Wait, and Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anybody actually get WL for Free Dining? I had a package booked there before it came out, but had to move to POR-Royal Room to get FD. I have been checking, but it never shows as available. I haven't stayed at POR since it was Dixie Landings, as our preferred Mod is POFQ. I still have a faint hope that FD might pop up for WL, and I even called, but no dice. I am just curious if anyone else was luckier than I.

I'm not going to complain, because I am thrilled to be going for 8D/7N, but I am still a bit sad not to be able to stay at my fave resort. First World problem I guess! :rolleyes1
I managed to snag FD for an already existing reservation (courtyard view, December trip). I stayed up waiting for the promo to be released though, so I added it at about 5:45 eastern time.

I will say, looking at the map in the Wilderness Lodge thread, it really struck me just how much of the resort is closed due to the South swing being closed. I can't imagine there were too many rooms even available.

Omgoodness!!! I really didn't want a pirate room at Caribbean but I would have settled for it. I figured it would be fine at least we would be at Disney. But instead of just letting it go, I took people's advice on this board, I kept checking. I had very low (read: NO) expectations of being successful since I needed two standard rooms. I kept checking anyway.

Well, I just booked TWO STANDARD CBR ROOMS for my original dates!!! (9 Dec - 16 Dec)

I checked at 11:58...there was nothing. I figured I would call in the morning but I checked one more time before going to bed. At 12:34 and I saw one available switched to that one and went to my other res and was able to change that one too!!! I'm super excited!!! Now I have to call in the morning to verify my gift card is still there...my reservation numbers are the same but I just want to confirm.

Thank you guys so much!!!

I haven't posted here until today. I must have been exhausted from waiting for FD to drop on Monday! :rotfl:
I was lucky to get exactly what I wanted/needed right at FD drop-CBR Standard 12/12-26 (w/GC). I upgraded to DDP. I also have a CSR Standard for same dates with QSDP which was my backup in case I wasn't allowed to keep GC and add DDP. I will be canceling this reservation probably sometime next week. I hope everyone continues to find something that will work for them. pixiedust:It's been thrilling hanging out with the FD crowd on here. party: Thanks to all who gave details about what, when, and where! :thanks: We might take break from WDWin 2018 (but I really hope not:ssst:) because DD wants us to visit Tokyo Disneyland sometime in Spring 2019. However, just to be safe, I will really pay attention to the BB offer when we visit this December and probably book it (whether it's FD or RD). I kicked myself for not doing so in September. :oops: Now I'm off to stalk the CBR Construction posts and the MVMCP updates. :tongue: Oh, and I will also go check in at the 2018 FD Watch. :jumping1:

Omgoodness!!! I really didn't want a pirate room at Caribbean but I would have settled for it. I figured it would be fine at least we would be at Disney. But instead of just letting it go, I took people's advice on this board, I kept checking. I had very low (read: NO) expectations of being successful since I needed two standard rooms. I kept checking anyway.

Well, I just booked TWO STANDARD CBR ROOMS for my original dates!!! (9 Dec - 16 Dec)

I checked at 11:58...there was nothing. I figured I would call in the morning but I checked one more time before going to bed. At 12:34 and I saw one available switched to that one and went to my other res and was able to change that one too!!! I'm super excited!!! Now I have to call in the morning to verify my gift card is still there...my reservation numbers are the same but I just want to confirm.

Thank you guys so much!!!

:jumping1: Congratulations!!!! ( hey we'll be there during the same time dates!!)

Did anybody actually get WL for Free Dining? I had a package booked there before it came out, but had to move to POR-Royal Room to get FD. I have been checking, but it never shows as available. I haven't stayed at POR since it was Dixie Landings, as our preferred Mod is POFQ. I still have a faint hope that FD might pop up for WL, and I even called, but no dice. I am just curious if anyone else was luckier than I.

I'm not going to complain, because I am thrilled to be going for 8D/7N, but I am still a bit sad not to be able to stay at my fave resort. First World problem I guess! :rolleyes1
I managed to modify my existing reservation for WL when the free dining dropped. I would keep checking daily it might open up. I noticed you said WL is your fave resort, I've never been there but my husband has his heart set on it. Could you tell me what you like about it? I'm having trouble getting on board with it because it is not really my style.

We're totally different than everyone else in regards to the parades. My kids just aren't that into them, so we usually skip them. It's a great time to get on rides. We sat on splash once for 3 rides in a row without having to get off during a parade. Of course that was also the end of January and park was not crowded.

We're the same. You can ride so many things during that time.

I managed to snag FD for an already existing reservation (courtyard view, December trip). I stayed up waiting for the promo to be released though, so I added it at about 5:45 eastern time.

I will say, looking at the map in the Wilderness Lodge thread, it really struck me just how much of the resort is closed due to the South swing being closed. I can't imagine there were too many rooms even available.

I have been told on the Resort thread when I asked about construction and the impact on the resort guests that most of all the closures will be reopened by my August trip. That was a relief because somehow when I booked I did not notice all the closures.

Last edited:
I have been going in so many directions with what I wanted to do with this trip! I did call today about POR availability and was told they only had availability for the first part of free dining. It's probably written somewhere (likely in this thread), but oops! That would explain why I couldn't find anything.

Right now I'm still trying to decide between end of Nov into December, or December 8-? I'm also trying to decide what the benefit would be of CB over Pop or an All Star. It's about $1,000 more and the restaurants won't be open. Hmmmm....

I've only ever stayed at Pop before.

I managed to modify my existing reservation for WL when the free dining dropped. I would keep checking daily it might open up. I noticed you said WL is your fave resort, I've never been there but my husband has his heart set on it. Could you tell me what you like about it? I'm having trouble getting on board with it because it is not really my style.

You did not ask me but I have been to WL before and I am going this August again. Wilderness hits you when you first walk in through the resort doors. The lobby is massive like GF but of course in the Great North West feel. What I like is if you book a room there you are in the main hotel unlike GF where you most likely are in an outside building. That is really nice because you are not out in the elements (rain, heat) until you go out to the transportation. Busses are a short walk down a hall off the main lobby.

Speaking of Lobby again there many very comfortable seats that you can sink into and you naturally look up to the vaulted ceiling and just relax.

The boat ride to MK is very convenient and fits in very well to the theme. It just feels right. The pool is right in the center of the hotel so there is no long walk from the inside to get to it. Artist's Point is a very nice restaurant and Whispering Canyon is a lot of fun for kids (and adults).

I like the room size and the decor is fun and very in keeping with the theme. I would say it is a great hotel especially for kids. It is just very large feeling but still all compact in a way. Lastly the landscaping is amazing you really do not feel like you are in Florida (of course we are going in August so no escaping the heat). I have not been to the new pool but I hear it is great. They also added another outdoor restaurant that looks very nice.

Last edited:

I have a question, I also got a FD from my existing 2 room reservation by getting up at 5:30 on Monday. The $400 has been charged to my credit card, but what about my origional $330 that I had put down 6 months ago. As of today (Friday) it has not been refunded to my credit card. Do I need to call or wait longer?

thanks so much for your advice. You guys are GREAT!!

I have a question, I also got a FD from my existing 2 room reservation by getting up at 5:30 on Monday. The $400 has been charged to my credit card, but what about my origional $330 that I had put down 6 months ago. As of today (Friday) it has not been refunded to my credit card. Do I need to call or wait longer?

thanks so much for your advice. You guys are GREAT!!
I cancelled Monday as well around noon and I just got it this morning. If that helps. Doesn't hurt to call though just to make sure!

I believe they take out the money for a deposit if you book a dinner show.

I missed the beginning of this thread so not sure what dinner show is being referred to but if you have the dining plan and purchase tickets while signed into your MDE account you should not be charged a deposit.

Just a heads up that if you're looking at Hoop-Dee-Doo, ensure you choose category 2 or 3 for the first 2 shows or you will end up paying for the entire meal as Category 1 is not included for the first 2 shows each evening.

First of all, I want to thank everyone for their help in how to get free dining. I was able to get free dining for POP from 9/30 to 10/06. My original reservation (which I still have at the moment) was from 9/30 to 10/07. I am calling later to finalize. I hope to be able to extend the vacation with free dining to 10/07. Otherwise, I guess I will try to get the last day as a separate vacation. Has anyone else done this? What do you suggest? Thanks in advance!

I have been going in so many directions with what I wanted to do with this trip! I did call today about POR availability and was told they only had availability for the first part of free dining. It's probably written somewhere (likely in this thread), but oops! That would explain why I couldn't find anything.

Right now I'm still trying to decide between end of Nov into December, or December 8-? I'm also trying to decide what the benefit would be of CB over Pop or an All Star. It's about $1,000 more and the restaurants won't be open. Hmmmm....

I've only ever stayed at Pop before.

I have been struggling with same decisions!!! Except there's 5 of us so CBR is the cheapest. I also have 2 rooms at ASSports and a suite at music. I'm nervous about noise and buses but I might go with the value because it gives us more space and 2 bathrooms. I still might stick with cbr though because it is less expensive and its where we stayed before and loved it.........I reserved mine 11/25-12/02.....but it seems like that might be a busier time this year. I've seen a ton of people on hear going that week and the crowd calanders look better for 12/8-15 so I've been looking to switch to that. Decisions decisions! Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter