• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

~~October 2016~~Sew, it was the greatest Stitch Experience ever!~~Final Update 3/19/2017!

How great that you have found a place to get your glasses that now knows you and the girls and your insurance well. $130 for 3 pairs of glasses sounds like a bargain

Today I got some more tape on the floor of the car. I'm wondering if I got the tape long enough now. I will find out the next time I try to get my electrical wheelchair out of the car

The English couple visiting Tromsø got to see the Northern light yesterday. I talked with them today and they where very happy and would absolutely recommend the guide they went with to see the Northern light.

Yes it's nice that we are able to get new glasses each year and they are quite affordable.

I sure hope your tape is good now.

Glad to hear that they were able to see the Northern Lights too. :lovestruc

I hope you're having a nice week! :)

Hey there Dorine! Just popping in with a quick hi. I am loving the pics of your girls. All of the $ and time spent with them at Disney has priceless memories and lots of bonding time they will never forget. I know you treasure each trip.

We spent a ton at the store today. Yikes. Why does it cost so much more to eat healthy? And our local chain of stores is not cheap, and their produce is pricey. And I refuse to buy farm raised salmon so 2 lbs cost a fortune. There went my budget for the week. I know we made many budget mistakes in the past. It's a hard lesson to learn, but we are finally in a better place. You have a great attitude and determination for your debt. Tyler and Ariece are on the lookout for her a used vehicle. Her father and Tyler fixed her vehicle just enough to get by; and even then it was over $300 and now more problems have happened. We keep telling them to take as long as they can and don't rush into anything. As you know, they follow Dave Ramsey, so I am comfortable they are being smart about it.

Between your debt payments and working out and living a healthy lifestyle you are such a motivation D!

Hope Allison doesn't get burned out on her job. That's a lot of responsibility right away. She needs to take care of herself and eat right and rest. Don't I sound like a Mom?

Have a wonderful week! I will be following along! As always, loving your TR.

Hugs and prayers always.

We all treasure the memories... I am having a hard time not planning another trip - especially now that this TR is quickly ending... And my news feed on FB is FULL of people going on trips... It's tough - but it will be worth it in the end. ::yes::

I feel your pain - until I found Aldi - it was much the same for me... We were killing ourselves on the cost of groceries. Is there any chance you can find a farmers market near you??? Those should be starting up soon... :scratchin

I love hearing about Tyler and Aerice - they sure are setting themselves up for some serious financial successes in life! :woohoo: I sure hope they are able to find a good and dependable vehicle within their budgeted amount. ::yes::

Ha!!! I feel like I am a constant storm! LOL If it's not one thing, it's another... And trying to keep it all going successfully is interesting - to say the least. LOL But we are both working hard and making some awesome progress! :woohoo:

I agree - on Allison... Yah - I can only do so much though... I can tell her to slow down and rest until I am blue in the face - but until she realizes it for herself, it won't do much good. Sometimes having an independent soul in my life is exhausting. LOL She will figure it out soon enough - I hope. ::yes::

Thank you - same to you!!! Hugs and prayers!! :hug:

Ok I did it, I wrote out a menu for the week and a limited grocery list too. I always overspend on groceries. I'm tracking what I spend over this month so I can see where I can cut back next month. I REALLY want to plan a DW trip with my grandkids, and pay cash. Can it be done?

This is awesome!!! And an excellent first step! This was exactly what I had to do too, and it was super helpful!!!

And paying cash for Disney trips can definitely be done - I've been doing it for every single trip we have ever gone on! I save in "chunks" breaking it up into - resort, airfare, tickets, food and finally souvenirs. ::yes:: You can do it! ::yes::

Just catching up again. I love seeing all of the pictures from previous trips. So neat! Hope you have a great day!

Thanks! I am glad you are enjoying them! I hope you're having a great week! :)

I'm baaaaaaaaack from my trip with my daughter (that she paid for!!!!)

I ADORE that Goofy dress of V's. I would totally wear it, at my age. LOL

We had a fabulous week. No rain, some hot days but nothing like spring/summer/fall. At this point, I'm not sure I want to go to WDW unless it's December or January!

On the whole, I miss the old WDW. I've been going fairly regularly since 1981 and it's just not the same. Quality of food has gone WAY down, and I didn't see a good variety of cool stuff for souvenirs. I thought the World of Disney store in Disney Springs actually had less merchandise than in previous years.

Biggest surprise was the 7 Dwarfs Mine Train. How cool was that?????? Both times we rode, it was night, and I'm sure that enhanced it. But I was completely surprised that I LOVED it after hearing reports that it was "not much" and "a kiddie coaster".

We did not get motion sick on anything, yayyyyyyyyyy!

Biggest objection (besides the new FP system - hated it) was the new film in Soarin. Unless you're in the middle section, the film is distorted badly. How did THAT pass quality control? Nobody wants to see a bent-over Eiffel Tower. DUH!

I enjoyed being with my daughter - she doesn't get to come home much - and we had so much fun!

Welcome back!!! It sounds like you had a great trip - despite all of the changes... A WDW trip these days is a whole different ball game - even from a year ago... So many changes and advancements... I think back to a time when it was actually FUN to go - now it's almost a planning nightmare - yet I still crave it. LOL

I loved that Goofy dress of V's too... We still have it. :lovestruc

I totally agree - IMO - the ONLY time to ride 7DMT is at night and in the back row! LOL That is the only way to make it a little more thrilling. LOL I cannot wait to ride EE now - in the dark! :woohoo:

I'd heard about the Eiffel Tower on Soarin' - so we were sure to request the front/middle... I have no idea how that passes quality control - I am surprised they haven't found a way to fix it. :scratchin

I am happy to hear that you were able to spend this time with her!!! Such great memories! :lovestruc

Your kids have the most expressive faces :) I just love looking at your growing up Disney posts. I feel like I almost get to know them through the pics!! What special mother-daughter memories you are creating with them. So sweet!

Awwwh - thank you! Sometimes I could do without quite so much expressiveness though. ::yes::

Thank you - I truly enjoy sharing our trips here! :lovestruc

Such fun pictures! I am reminded of how similar our families are in structure since my husband and I also have two daughters...although mine are farther apart in age.

Congratulations to Victoria on getting her driver's license -- that's wonderful! And Allison -- she's working SO hard -- it must be absolutely exhausting!

I will look into that Dave Ramsey book...though, truth be told, I have such severe anxiety wrapped up with anything having to do with budgets or examining finances that it might take me some time to get my courage up to do that!!

It's terrible that they messed up Josh's military benefits...there has to be something that can be done. I'm sure you've already tried this, but if not -- have you contacted your congressmen? The new president is so vocally pro-veteran that perhaps there might be more political pressure now to rectify the situation.....?

Yes - we do both have very similar family structures - I've noticed that before too. :lovestruc

V is definitely enjoying her new freedom - while I am a mess... Hopefully my endless worry passes soon. ::yes::

And Allison is working very hard - this is good for her though... I feel like she just needed to take this time and work.

I understand the financial anxiety all too well, trust me... Finances are scary! For as scared as I was to learn and to really LOOK - I am truly enjoying it now... I just had to tell myself that there was no going back - I couldn't change anything, our only option was to move forward and fix it... And that's what we are doing. It's hard - don't get me wrong, but in a way - it's almost fun to see how quickly we can do it and let's just say - I soooo look forward to payday and paying things off - I get more enjoyment from that, than I ever did from buying "stuff". ::yes:: Believe me when I say - the book will change your life and it's an easy and fun read - totally harmless. :lovestruc

As far as we know - everything that can be done, has been done... It's possible that there could be some changes coming that might affect his ability to qualify again, but neither of us are holding our breath. You would think that someone, somewhere could fix it, though it seems like no one has the ambition or desire - since it doesn't affect them. And I am not sure how hard Josh has actually pushed??? For me personally - there is nothing I can do, it has to come from Josh, as the military structure and protocol is something I know nothing about - and I would have no idea where to even start. :(

I hope you're having a good week! :lovestruc

*******************************************************************************************************

I have had a good and busy week so far...

Monday - I worked at Target, though I was scheduled to start later in the day , which means I was able to work out before leaving for work - which hasn't happened in months...

I grabbed a selfie of my new glasses... They aren't my favorite - I like my old ones better... These ones creek when I put them on - so I feel like they are cheaply made, even though they are a good brand. :scratchin

5D7B3464-9E14-45EC-A305-4C37A1CFEF5F.jpg

We had a nice lazy night at home on Monday...

B789DCE1-8DA1-4150-BE66-9426D3DE46EE.jpg

Yesterday, I worked out in the morning (heavy lifting) and then I worked at home all day... I was able to get a lot done - which is nice.

And then in the afternoon, I went for a walk - it's been so nice outside these last few days... Almost all of our snow pack is gone and it appears like the grass is greening up... Which isn't good - as winter is NOT over.

94EE86E5-2C35-4032-8452-D5201ECA741F.jpg

And the boys - they crack me up when they sleep like this...

7D1EA528-FD1F-4B0B-95A7-B7B303047B89.jpg

Today - I plan to work out shortly...

Then I will be working from home all day...

I might go for a walk if it's still nice outside - I have NOT looked at the forecast at all, so I have no idea...

And that's about it. I hope you all have an amazing day!!! Prayers and Pixie Dust to all! :lovestruc

D~

I think your new glasses look great. I used to wear glasses mainly for night driving. My prescription was pretty mild. Then I realized I could read the signs better and quit using them. I always need readers now though and it seems like when that got worse, my distance vision got better. We don't have insurance for glasses so I haven't been back to get them checked in a few years.

We got back Monday afternoon and it was cool and rainy, but yesterday was great! It's nice not to come back to snow and cold. So unusual for February. My grandson has been wearing shorts.

The Rivers of Light was amazing. I wish we could have seen it again, but I'm just thankful we got to see it once. It was utter chaos leaving though. They had a roped off path for the next show. Then there were people trying to get to Everest and it took forever. When we finally got to the end we were single file as there were people with strollers lined up 4 across just totally blocking the way. There were no cm's helping at all. We were just about through when 2 men got into a fight. I think they were both drunk, but people were pushing and shoving to get out. Disney sent me a survey about RoL and I filled that out. I'm sure they will work it out, but it was crazy.

Kind of sad knowing we aren't going next year. Hope you can work it out to get a trip in. Sounds like another great day and we are going out for a walk. Didn't do much yesterday except grocery shop. We also got out a few decorations that were stuck in the snow before we left and then just relaxed. Have another great day!

Your new glasses looks good :)

Today the sun is shining. The English couple went back home today. They said they had a great time here in Tromsø even if the weather wasn't that great while they were here.

I had my first therapy riding lesson after Christmas today. It went OK. But my body hurts and I have no energy after the lesson. It's always like this the first few lessons after a long period where I haven't been on the horse. It takes some time for my body to get used to sitting on a horse again.

I hope you have a great day :hug:

I think my daughter is wanting winter to be over. I picked her up from dance and she was wearing shorts. I asked her if she had worn them to school. She had. Our high was 43 degrees. I told her never again. Sometimes, it is hard to leave for work 2 hours before she gets up for school.

I like your new glasses. :)

Good for you for getting out there to run. We've gotten some extra walks in, too, with the nice weather. I think everyone else in the Chicago area is outdoors, too, since the parks and zoo are packed with people. ;) But in a way I hate that it is so hot out for so long that things are starting to sprout and bloom. The fruit farmers are going to be having a hard time with their yields this year if the trees blossom early. We are guaranteed to have more freezing temperatures this spring.

Love walking down memory lane. Thanks for sharing! So happy that V is officially a license driver. Makes things a little easier on you.

That's a lot of hours that Alison is working. Love when I see the younger generation with good work ethics. Just hope she takes some time for herself and does not get too run down.

It's awesome that you are able to pay down the debt. Thank you for sharing how you do it.

We got about 18" inches of snow. Lots have since melted as the temps have been above normal for this time of year. Winter is still here and I am seeing snow for next week. I hope that changes.

Have a wonderful day!

I love your new glasses! I would like to find some like those. I had my eyes checked in Dec. and got my perscription but didn't buy any glasses. I contemplated buying online but haven't done it yet because it is just too nerve racking for me to not be able to try them on in person. My oldest DD and my husband have both bought glasses online and been pleased. I'm just a chicken I think. Plus I don't want to waste money. If I order them and don't like them I won't wear them.
I love the pics of the dogs on the couch. Ours aren't supposed to get on the furniture but always manage to end up there. They usually just start with just being petted and then somehow their whole body ends up on the couch. It's a mystery I guess. haha:rolleyes1
The weather has been exceptionally warm here too. And our grass is turning green and bulbs are coming up. I like to see it but know it's not good because we shouldn't have anything like that for a month or so at least. I hope it all doesn't get frozen.
Have a great day!

Your new glasses look great. That picture of the dogs sleeping is SO darn cute!

I ordered the book...we'll see how long it takes me to get the courage up to read it...

Hi D!
Work has been super crazy with year end. We just finally closed year end & January & now it will be February month end. I'm off until next Wednesday with Lizzy. We drove to PA yesterday for an accepted student day at Penn State today. We drove in from a different direction than last April. The school looks even bigger this time.

Tomorrow we drive to Oswego NY. We have tickets to a men's playoff hockey game tomorrow night. There is a womens game Sunday and an open skate and we'll check out the town. Then Monday morning I drop Lizzy off to do an overnight with a student. They found the perfect host for her-a meteorology major, from MA (90%+ are from NY), and she's on the synchronized skating team. If things go well (and doesn't fall in love with Penn State today) we hope to sign admission papers before we go home Tuesday. It will be nice having the decision made.

It was great spending the day with Lizzy yesterday. I can't believe how much she's grown up in the last two years.

Oh..and Joe got his drivers permit yesterday.

I've been really enjoying all you photos!!!

When I work late and drive home after 7pm I listen to Dave Ramsey on the radio. He's a great guy.

I think your new glasses look great. I used to wear glasses mainly for night driving. My prescription was pretty mild. Then I realized I could read the signs better and quit using them. I always need readers now though and it seems like when that got worse, my distance vision got better. We don't have insurance for glasses so I haven't been back to get them checked in a few years.

We got back Monday afternoon and it was cool and rainy, but yesterday was great! It's nice not to come back to snow and cold. So unusual for February. My grandson has been wearing shorts.

The Rivers of Light was amazing. I wish we could have seen it again, but I'm just thankful we got to see it once. It was utter chaos leaving though. They had a roped off path for the next show. Then there were people trying to get to Everest and it took forever. When we finally got to the end we were single file as there were people with strollers lined up 4 across just totally blocking the way. There were no cm's helping at all. We were just about through when 2 men got into a fight. I think they were both drunk, but people were pushing and shoving to get out. Disney sent me a survey about RoL and I filled that out. I'm sure they will work it out, but it was crazy.

Kind of sad knowing we aren't going next year. Hope you can work it out to get a trip in. Sounds like another great day and we are going out for a walk. Didn't do much yesterday except grocery shop. We also got out a few decorations that were stuck in the snow before we left and then just relaxed. Have another great day!

Thanks! I do like them, just not as much as my old ones... I don't think my prescription is that different between the two of them - so it's still OK if I wear my old ones. ::yes:: We learned the hard way, the year V needed glasses and we didn't have the kids covered on our eye insurance - we had to pay OOP for her's, and they were very expensive. Ever since, we have had eye insurance on all of us, and it helps, since now we all wear glasses - though Allison isn't full time.

I agree - it's so nice when you can come home to decent weather, it makes coming home so much easier. ::yes:: We were supposed to get a ton of snow last night, and we are literally on the edge of the storm... We got some here at home, and according to Allison - roads near us are terrible, but as she was driving to work this morning - she said about 5 miles north of us and on is free and clear. :scratchin I was debating on not doing my grocery shopping trip today, but it looks like I shouldn't have a problem.

I do want to see that show - I've always thought that night time in AK was totally magical... However - that does sound like a mess, I am glad you sent in a survey - hopefully there will be some good changes in the future!

We'll see... It's super difficult to see all of my friend's trips in my news feed on FB... Though, I keep telling myself that our trips will be so much sweeter when we can be totally debt free. Although - I wouldn't change a thing, as far as previous trips - I am so grateful for the girls trips that we did while the girls were younger, I will never get that time back - so carrying the debt that we carried may have cost us extra, but the memories are priceless. :lovestruc

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! :lovestruc

Your new glasses looks good

Today the sun is shining. The English couple went back home today. They said they had a great time here in Tromsø even if the weather wasn't that great while they were here.

I had my first therapy riding lesson after Christmas today. It went OK. But my body hurts and I have no energy after the lesson. It's always like this the first few lessons after a long period where I haven't been on the horse. It takes some time for my body to get used to sitting on a horse again.

I hope you have a great day

Thank you!

I am glad that your friends had a great trip!

I totally understand... I grew up on horses, and that first ride (or two) of the season was killer for days after. Hopefully you are less sore now!

Have a great weekend!

I think my daughter is wanting winter to be over. I picked her up from dance and she was wearing shorts. I asked her if she had worn them to school. She had. Our high was 43 degrees. I told her never again. Sometimes, it is hard to leave for work 2 hours before she gets up for school.

Hahaha! I shouldn't laugh - but the girls and I are much the same way... I usually pack up my shoes at the end of January and go on strike... It's flip-flops for me, from then on, unless I actually have to walk through snow... If sidewalks and parking lots are clear, then flip-flops are fair game. :lmao: I do kinda draw the line at shorts though... But I have worn my capris in recent days. ::yes::

How is Marissa doing with her new family?

Have a great weekend Shannon!

I like your new glasses.

Good for you for getting out there to run. We've gotten some extra walks in, too, with the nice weather. I think everyone else in the Chicago area is outdoors, too, since the parks and zoo are packed with people. But in a way I hate that it is so hot out for so long that things are starting to sprout and bloom. The fruit farmers are going to be having a hard time with their yields this year if the trees blossom early. We are guaranteed to have more freezing temperatures this spring.

Thanks Sue!

Ahhh - it was definitely a walk as opposed to a run - LOL... I am in no shape to run at the moment, though I WILL this season... Last year, I was nursing my knee for so long - I never really got to run much... My plan this year is to work up to it and not dive in nose first. ::yes::

It's not good that things are starting to bloom - we are having the same issue up here... Hopefully our seasons aren't too messed up this year.

I hope you have a nice weekend! :)

Love walking down memory lane. Thanks for sharing! So happy that V is officially a license driver. Makes things a little easier on you.

That's a lot of hours that Alison is working. Love when I see the younger generation with good work ethics. Just hope she takes some time for herself and does not get too run down.

It's awesome that you are able to pay down the debt. Thank you for sharing how you do it.

We got about 18" inches of snow. Lots have since melted as the temps have been above normal for this time of year. Winter is still here and I am seeing snow for next week. I hope that changes.

Have a wonderful day!

Hi Lynee! :)

Yah - having V as a licensed driver is sure nice - not having to stay awake to go pick her up from work is a HUGE PLUS! ::yes:: She is doing great so far, and definitely enjoying her new freedom.

It's nice to see Allison getting a lot of hours - I agree - she is taking time with friends, though she is learning quickly (I think) that it really sucks to be out with friends until 9pm (which isn't that late), then having to be up at 3:30am to get ready for work... She will learn that she needs to be home earlier - I hope. LOL Life lessons and just standing back to watch is sometimes difficult - though necessary. ::yes::

Josh and I are definitely working hard to make progress on our debt! I am glad that you all enjoy hearing about it - as I can imagine it must be boring to some, and I'll likely lose a lot of readers - if not now - when I don't have any TRs going I"ll likely lose the remainder. :( I am trying hard not to focus on missing all of you though, knowing I am doing the right thing for us. :lovestruc

Yikes!!! I cannot believe how much you have! We are on the edge of a storm, we didn't get much - just a bit over a dusting... Though where we live, sometime a dusting is worse than a huge snow fall, because of the hills around us - it drifts so badly. There are days where we haven't had snow for a long time - and just the blowing/drifting closes roads... Kind of a shocker when you go out on the 5th sunny day in a row. LOL

I hope you have a nice weekend - thanks for stopping by - it's always good to see you! :lovestruc

I love your new glasses! I would like to find some like those. I had my eyes checked in Dec. and got my perscription but didn't buy any glasses. I contemplated buying online but haven't done it yet because it is just too nerve racking for me to not be able to try them on in person. My oldest DD and my husband have both bought glasses online and been pleased. I'm just a chicken I think. Plus I don't want to waste money. If I order them and don't like them I won't wear them.
I love the pics of the dogs on the couch. Ours aren't supposed to get on the furniture but always manage to end up there. They usually just start with just being petted and then somehow their whole body ends up on the couch. It's a mystery I guess. haha
The weather has been exceptionally warm here too. And our grass is turning green and bulbs are coming up. I like to see it but know it's not good because we shouldn't have anything like that for a month or so at least. I hope it all doesn't get frozen.
Have a great day!

Thanks! Both pairs of my glasses are Coach brand - though, like I said, I feel like these are not as good of quality as my old ones... My old ones are available in both brown and black (I have the brown) and I am sort-of regretting that I didn't get the black... I just keep telling myself that I can get them next year if I still want them. :)

I find it very hard to order glasses on line... The only way I would be able to do it, is to find them in person and then look online - order them that way if they are cheaper... I don't think I could ever order with out trying them on though. ::yes:: I am super picky about how glasses look on me - so I understand your worry and feel like it's totally valid. ::yes::

Hahaha... We let both dogs on the couches - I know we shouldn't, but we do... They are not allowed to have toys on the couches though - if they want toys, they have to lay on the floor... Cooper is the biggest culprit to try and get around this rule. LOL

Well, we are no longer warm - winter is back - as I knew it would be... Soon enough - it will be over though, so I just look forward to that. :lovestruc

It's always great to see you - I hope you have a nice weekend! :lovestruc

Your new glasses look great. That picture of the dogs sleeping is SO darn cute!

I ordered the book...we'll see how long it takes me to get the courage up to read it...

Thank you - I do like them, they are just a little different and creek-ier than my old ones. ::yes::

Yay!!! :woohoo: I'd be happy to hold you accountable. ::yes:: One chapter per week - it's do-able. ::yes:: And there is NO harm in reading - you can totally read the book without ever having to look at your own finances. ;) Though - I almost guarantee that it might make you WANT to peek. :scratchin LOL

And if you get into Podcasts - I HIGHLY recommend Dave Ramsey's Podcasts... I used to listen to music while I was working and now it's Dave all the time up there - very motivational and educational - not to mention, entertaining. :lmao:

I hope you have a great weekend! :lovestruc

*********************************************************************************************************

No giant updates here...

I worked out all week - which is good... However, my eating has been less than stellar... Sigh. My favorite jeans are almost too tight to wear... A sure sign that I need to stop being careless with my eating and get back on track. Lots of good for us foods on the grocery list this week. ::yes::

I also worked upstairs all week - I am actually ahead, so I can take today off to go grocery shopping. ::yes:: It's really nice to be so far ahead up there - so much so that I may have to find a 3rd job to ease my boredom. :scratchin

V is doing very well with her drivers license... It's been so nice to not have to stay awake at night to go pick her up from work. ::yes::

Allison is doing well with work - working some crazy hours - but making $$. She sent her first check off to the Beauty School last week - it was a payment + another half... I am really proud of her for that - as she made a lot of extra sacrifices to make that added payment happen. She is living on a pretty strict budget, in an attempt to pay off the school and also to save up $$ for a car... Life lessons are sometimes hard learned, but I do believe she is actually enjoying the challenge. ::yes::

Our budget is going well... We get to pay off our smallest debt today - which surprisingly is Josh's Jeep... Even though we are only paying it off about 4 months early - it's still a HUGE win - as not only is it a vehicle that we'll own free & clear, but it's a pretty large payment to start our debt snowball off with a bang. We are actually considering selling the Jeep - although we love it and have had some great rides in it... Our ultimate dream is to have a Jeep with a small camper (vintage, of course) - considering since this Jeep is a 4-cyl, it's not good for towing... Eventually, we will have to get a different Jeep anyways. It makes more sense to sell the Jeep while the value is still good, and use that gain towards debt... Then later in life - we can save up and purchase the Jeep that we actually need. We'll see... :scratchin We likely won't make a final decision until later this spring. Both Josh and I are pretty pumped though - making progress in the right direction is so motivating! ::yes::

We have no big plans for the weekend - again... I'll likely be lazy and do a lot of reading. Both girls work - so it will mostly be Josh and I. I may work on some extra stuff upstairs - but even that is debatable, since I am so far ahead up there.

I will also work on another TR update... They are pretty predictable at this point - it will be a look back on our 2014 trip... ::yes::

I hope you all have an amazing weekend! Sending prayers and Pixie Dust out to all of you!

D~

Congratulations on getting the Jeep paid off early! That's fabulous! Even though I only paid Mark's car off a couple of months early, it still felt really good to do it -- and we got the free and clear title in the mail last week. Woohoo!

I ordered the book...it should be arriving this weekend. I'll be in Florida next week for work all week and I've decided to take the book with me and read it while I'm sitting on the beach in the evenings...the beach is my favorite peaceful spot -- the only time/place I've ever been able to fully relax and really just "be" is while I'm by the water...so I think it will be good to have that uninterrupted time to read and think and process what I'm reading. I warn you, though -- if it becomes to anxiety-inducing or stressful I will have to stop and put it away! But I'm going to at least try to read it and do some thinking. As I've worked on doing KonMari in our home (not as diligently as I should have, but I'm very happy with the progress we've made so far on that front), I've really been deciding what I want our home to be, how I want it to feel, and how to make it the calm, peaceful, happy place we want it to be. I think our financial situation is an extension of that. It's scary, though. Really, it is. It's horrific to even think about how much debt we have and, truth be told -- it's my fault. I'm the shopaholic. I've been working hard on that for a few years now, though, and have made good progress. But still. It's a scary thing.

Congratulations to Allison on being able to make a payment and a half towards her school debt. That's wonderful! It really is a great life lesson, and it's one of those lessons where the immediacy of it (and both positive and negative consequences) is really felt. She's doing great.

Have a great day!

Hopefully you will get your eating back on track. :hug:

It must feel good being ahead in the sewing room.

How great that V is doing well driving on her own.

Luckily Allison can live at home and save money by doing that while she pays off her debt to the school. Sounds like she is doing well earning money to pay the debt.

How great that you are done paying on the Jeep soon.

I hope you have a great weekend.

It's awesome you got the Jeep bill paid in full!!! I remember paying off my very first car a few months early and being SO proud of myself. It was the happiest check I've ever written :) Congrats!!!

Yay for being caught up and able to go grocery shopping. I definitely need to get to that....today all we had for me to pack my lunch with was a banana, some cereal and a string cheese....very odd lunch today for sure!!

So much for that beautiful weather we had earlier this week! I am SO sleepy from the giant hail storm we had last night and today it's back to wintry cold. But, I guess it's still February, so we should not complain :)

Happy Weekend, D!!

Congrats on getting the jeep paid off. That's a big deal.
I'm glad Allison is so serious about paying off her loans. i just hope she doesn;t burn out working so much and staying up late.
V. getting her license sure made a difference for you.
Our weather has been crazy here. It's been very warm all week. Today it was in the mid 70's. Of course, thunderstorms are coming in tonight and it's supposed to snow tomorrow. Last Sunday was so nice that we went hiking along the old Ohio Erie Canal. There is a ski resort very close to it and we could see the snow on the ski slopes through the trees.
This week we're going to the new car show in Cleveland. We don't need cars. We just like looking at all the new ones.
Have a good weekend.
Liz

Hi D!
Work has been super crazy with year end. We just finally closed year end & January & now it will be February month end. I'm off until next Wednesday with Lizzy. We drove to PA yesterday for an accepted student day at Penn State today. We drove in from a different direction than last April. The school looks even bigger this time.

Tomorrow we drive to Oswego NY. We have tickets to a men's playoff hockey game tomorrow night. There is a womens game Sunday and an open skate and we'll check out the town. Then Monday morning I drop Lizzy off to do an overnight with a student. They found the perfect host for her-a meteorology major, from MA (90%+ are from NY), and she's on the synchronized skating team. If things go well (and doesn't fall in love with Penn State today) we hope to sign admission papers before we go home Tuesday. It will be nice having the decision made.

It was great spending the day with Lizzy yesterday. I can't believe how much she's grown up in the last two years.

Oh..and Joe got his drivers permit yesterday.

I've been really enjoying all you photos!!!

When I work late and drive home after 7pm I listen to Dave Ramsey on the radio. He's a great guy.

Hi Bernadette!!! I've missed you! I am glad to hear that you are doing well... It's nice that you are taking some time off and get to spend it with Lizzy too! That is great! It sounds like you have a lot planned - a lot to decide on - and a lot to do! Fun though! I am so excited for her! What an amazing opportunity! :woohoo:

Congratulations to Joe too! Such a great time in all of your kids' lives! ::yes:: Hang in there Momma!

I ma happy to hear that you are enjoying the last of my updates... I am feeling pretty sad that this chapter of my life will be on hold for a while.

He is pretty entertaining, isn't he? And just some great no-nonsense advice. ::yes::

Take care, my friend - enjoy your time with Lizzy this weekend, please give your family my best. :hug:

Congratulations on getting the Jeep paid off early! That's fabulous! Even though I only paid Mark's car off a couple of months early, it still felt really good to do it -- and we got the free and clear title in the mail last week. Woohoo!

I ordered the book...it should be arriving this weekend. I'll be in Florida next week for work all week and I've decided to take the book with me and read it while I'm sitting on the beach in the evenings...the beach is my favorite peaceful spot -- the only time/place I've ever been able to fully relax and really just "be" is while I'm by the water...so I think it will be good to have that uninterrupted time to read and think and process what I'm reading. I warn you, though -- if it becomes to anxiety-inducing or stressful I will have to stop and put it away! But I'm going to at least try to read it and do some thinking. As I've worked on doing KonMari in our home (not as diligently as I should have, but I'm very happy with the progress we've made so far on that front), I've really been deciding what I want our home to be, how I want it to feel, and how to make it the calm, peaceful, happy place we want it to be. I think our financial situation is an extension of that. It's scary, though. Really, it is. It's horrific to even think about how much debt we have and, truth be told -- it's my fault. I'm the shopaholic. I've been working hard on that for a few years now, though, and have made good progress. But still. It's a scary thing.

Congratulations to Allison on being able to make a payment and a half towards her school debt. That's wonderful! It really is a great life lesson, and it's one of those lessons where the immediacy of it (and both positive and negative consequences) is really felt. She's doing great.

Have a great day!

We are pretty excited! We haven't quite paid it off yet - we are waiting for the last of this week's payments to finish clearing our account... We are pretty anxious though to get that one out of the way! ::yes::

I am very excited to hear that you've ordered the book. It will be fine - I promise! ::yes:: I swear - there is no harm in reading. :hug:

I completely understand that shop-a-holic thing... I am much the same way... I do love to shop! And I am surprised I haven't died of lack of shopping over these last 10 weeks, surprisingly (like, I am quite shocked and amazed) that I get more of a thrill from paying off debt than I ever got from shopping. Weird, I know. I guess - I've never claimed to be too normal. LOL :scratchin You will be OK though... If you ever want to chat privately about it - I am always here for ya! :hug:

Allison and I sat down and poured over her budget again last night - she is a few $$ short on gas money this pay period, and she wanted to up it for next time... So, this is when I had to explain that she needs to be *conscious* of her driving, where she is going and how much gas she is using... We figured out how much she has spent on gas so far, how much she has left to spend, how much she still needs to get her through... I love being her accountability partner for this, and teaching her how to be responsible - as every single thing she does, impacts the next thing on the list... So, we agreed to give her an extra $10 towards gas next pay period and anything above and beyond that needs to come from her tips. ::yes:: I really think that the budget she has is really do-able for her right now, including the ability to save, so she just needs to learn to live by it - which she is doing an excellent job of.

V is next. LOL

Hopefully you will get your eating back on track.

It must feel good being ahead in the sewing room.

How great that V is doing well driving on her own.

Luckily Allison can live at home and save money by doing that while she pays off her debt to the school. Sounds like she is doing well earning money to pay the debt.

How great that you are done paying on the Jeep soon.

I hope you have a great weekend.

I am definitely working on it... It's so hard sometimes. :)

It feels great to be ahead at work... For years now, I've always felt like I am behind (which I truly rarely was) - but now, I am most definitely ahead - so the point of almost boredom. LOL

She is doing very well - we had a bit of a snow storm yesterday, and she drove to work and home by herself - she did great! She is still quite jerky with her driving though - and for those of us who drive in the snow and ice frequently - we know that the more fluid and the easier we go, the better it is... So, very little braking, very little acceleration, lots of coasting and no jerky steering is always the best.

Yes - Allison is very fortunate that she can live at home... She is working hard and being financially independent, and I am so proud of her for it.

We are very much looking forward to paying off the Jeep this week... We are just waiting for all of our payments to clear our account and then we will hit the "send" button on that one. :)

Have a great weekend Lillian! :hug:

It's awesome you got the Jeep bill paid in full!!! I remember paying off my very first car a few months early and being SO proud of myself. It was the happiest check I've ever written Congrats!!!

Yay for being caught up and able to go grocery shopping. I definitely need to get to that....today all we had for me to pack my lunch with was a banana, some cereal and a string cheese....very odd lunch today for sure!!

So much for that beautiful weather we had earlier this week! I am SO sleepy from the giant hail storm we had last night and today it's back to wintry cold. But, I guess it's still February, so we should not complain

Happy Weekend, D!!

Well, we have the $$ sitting there to pay it off, we will hit "send" just as soon as all of the payments clear the bank - just to make double sure we are clear - which I am certain we are. :woohoo: We are excited! We are even more excited that we will have several more things paid off before summer - it's a great feeling to be making such huge progress in this area of our lives! ::yes::

LOL - that is an odd lunch - though not terrible. LOL Hopefully you survived? I did grocery shopping yesterday + I had the oil changed in my car... It was a good day, with a lot accomplished! :)

Oh I know - trust me!!! Going from almost shorts weather to Winter Storm Warnings... Yah - this time of year is crazy! I hope you are able to take some time to catch up on sleep this weekend! :hug:

Thanks - same to you! Enjoy! :)

Congrats on getting the jeep paid off. That's a big deal.
I'm glad Allison is so serious about paying off her loans. i just hope she doesn;t burn out working so much and staying up late.
V. getting her license sure made a difference for you.
Our weather has been crazy here. It's been very warm all week. Today it was in the mid 70's. Of course, thunderstorms are coming in tonight and it's supposed to snow tomorrow. Last Sunday was so nice that we went hiking along the old Ohio Erie Canal. There is a ski resort very close to it and we could see the snow on the ski slopes through the trees.
This week we're going to the new car show in Cleveland. We don't need cars. We just like looking at all the new ones.
Have a good weekend.
Liz

Thanks! We haven't quite paid it off yet... We have the $$ sitting there, we are just waiting for all of our payments to clear the bank before we hit "send"... It's so close that we can taste it though! :woohoo:

She is very dedicated! I am so impressed and proud of her for this. We had another budget meeting last night - she initiated it - and she told me that she was so "scared" and "hated" going on a budget - but now that she's lived it for a few weeks, she said it's the best thing EVER and LOVES it. Total WIN!!!! It is such a relieving thing, so know where your $$ is going and know that you don't have to worry about it. It makes me even prouder of her - that she is really living this... Her friends make fun of her, and many of her friends spend like crazy (like she used to) - now she has such a HARD time being with them and forcing herself to make responsible decisions while they choose not to - it's so difficult, at her age, to stand her ground - and she is doing it. I am very proud of her - truly I am. She may not be in college, at the moment, though - having control of her $$, no matter how much or little she makes - will make a TRUE difference in her way of life later. And she is slowly learning that sleep is important... Trust me. LOL

V is doing great driving... She drove alone in her first snow storm yesterday and made it safely to work and home again. Phew! Makes me nervous, but I just take comfort in the fact that she will *maybe* pass all of 10 cars on the way home, and she works much closer to home than Allison - so if anything happens, we can go get her. As long as she takes her time and goes slow... ::yes::

I think all of us are experiencing abnormal Feb weather... It's very extreme! I just try to enjoy the nice stuff as much as possible and hibernate for the rest of it. LOL

It sounds like you had a great time and were able to enjoy the nice weather too? :) The car shows sound like a lot of fun... My first brand new car I found at a car show - incredibly expensive... Then 4 months later, I happened to find it on the car lot - not sold - and I was able to get a pretty good deal on it... I loved that car so much! Then we had Allison and a 2 door car was less than ideal with a baby - so I had to trade it in... One day, I'd like to own another Buick - it was a great car! ::yes::

Thanks Liz! Same to you! :)

**********************************************************************************************************

I had a great day yesterday...

I worked out in the morning.

I truly enjoy the thrill of menu planning, grocery list making and making it all a reality under budget. ::yes::

I headed out a little earlier than I had intended... The roads were kind of bad because we had a Winter Weather Advisory in our area... I went to the bank first to withdraw cash...

Then I went to visit Allison at work - I had a coupon for a free coffee - and I wasn't going to waste it - seeing as I don't do Starbucks/Caribou much anymore. It's always fun to see her at work. :lovestruc

After, I went to have my oil changed.

Then Aldi's... I really love that store. Though - I really need to learn how to make ciabatta bread (we won't even talk about how I shouldn't be eating it...) - as I spend so much on quality breads, ciabatta especially... I could really cut my bill if I learned how to make it from scratch... ::yes::

After, I hit Target... I also did good there and came in under budget.

I picked V up from school and she drove home on the not so great roads... I wanted to see if she felt confident enough to drive to/from work last night by herself... And she was fine.

I came home and put away groceries... Then I was sloth-like for the rest of the evening. ::yes::

Allison and I worked on her budget a little bit...

She was officially promoted to Shift Lead yesterday - so that is exciting! :woohoo: When she was hired - this is the position she was hired for, and she had to do a lot of training and testing - so yesterday it was official. Though this isn't what she wants to do forever - it means a good raise for her, and gets her closer to her immediate goals. ::yes::

That's about it...

Nothing exciting planned for the weekend... I have a little something I want to do upstairs - but it's literally a 30 min job.

I hope you all have a great weekend. I may do my update today - or I may wait until tomorrow... :scratchin

Prayers and pixie dust to all! :lovestruc

D~

I am quite shocked and amazed) that I get more of a thrill from paying off debt than I ever got from shopping.
That is a good thing. ::yes:: I always get more satisfaction from putting money into the retirement accounts than I ever got from spending it. In fact, spending money makes me feel anxious. The only exception would be things like Disney and running shoes. ;) It is great to have the debts paid off. Without a Disney trip to shop for you must be saving lots of money. :)

I love the way you are teaching Allison how to budget money. We never did that with our kids and it turned out to be something we should have done. I always felt that they would have learned from example, since I hate to spend money, but it seems as if that didn't work. ;) But they are all self-sufficient now and we are done with that.

I used to make home made bread. You should have no trouble being able to do it, but it doesn't always come out the way it does in stores. They use all kinds of emulsifiers and other agents. That doesn't mean your homemade bread will taste worse than store baked bread. It just means it might have a different texture or something. It will taste fantastic. :)

How great that you got under budget on your grocery shopping.

I'm sure you can make ciabatta bread from scratch if you just try it a few times.

How great that V is doing well with her driving.

Congratulation to Allison for being promoted to Shift Lead. The extra money will come in handy to get her debt payed :)

Ulf went to Sweden yesterday and will be away until next Monday. Which really is a pain in the a** because I can't park my car in the garage. So I have to park it outside where you can only park for max 12 hours Monday-Friday and max 24 hours Monday to Sunday. Which means I have to go out and move the car every day so I don't get a parking fine.

I really need to move to a new apartment where I can get a Handicap parking space for my car. I'm waiting for an appointment with a Occupational Therapist that can help me write the application I need to get help to move to an accessible apartment. I got a letter in early February saying that I would get a Occupational Therapist within a month. So if I haven't heard anything from them in the begging of March I will call and ask what is taking them so long.

Sounds like Allison has a great plan to pay off school. It's always hard to be responsible when you're young. I hope she does make it to college at some point. My family didn't have much money and my parents divorced, so I decided to work for a year and then go to college. I never did though, partially because I didn't have any idea of what I wanted to do and also because I loved having money.

We ordered windows yesterday. Even though I knew it was going to be expensive, I was still shocked. We had stopped in a showroom to see what they had and I told the salesperson we were trying to save the money and do it in the fall. But she told us about all the promotions and 18 month interest free financing. She also said a lot of people do them half at a time. So we had someone out and that's what we're doing, the front half of our house. It has the biggest windows and also has 2 that have rotting sills. But this way we should be able to pay it off, hopefully by next spring. Then we can do the back of the house. We probably could have gone a little cheaper, but we decided to go with Renewal by Andersen.

My grandson keeps talking about going to Disneyland next year for his graduation. We'd probably drive and see the Grand Canyon as that's something I've always wanted to do. We went to Disneyland once about 12 years ago and haven't been back. I hope we do it as I would love to see it again. It gives me something to look forward to. Today we are celebrating his 17th birthday. It's hard to believe!

I have been tracking all my spending this month, so I can be more realistic about my spending and know where I can make cuts next month. I haven't done any clothes or shoes shopping for myself in 31 days, but who's counting? Ok I'm counting I turned shopping into my hobby... And now I'm trying to use more self control and I'm kinda miserable about it. I think we have some big life changes in the next 2 years and I want to be in a better financial position. So thanks for getting me to think ahead!

That is a good thing. I always get more satisfaction from putting money into the retirement accounts than I ever got from spending it. In fact, spending money makes me feel anxious. The only exception would be things like Disney and running shoes. It is great to have the debts paid off. Without a Disney trip to shop for you must be saving lots of money.

I love the way you are teaching Allison how to budget money. We never did that with our kids and it turned out to be something we should have done. I always felt that they would have learned from example, since I hate to spend money, but it seems as if that didn't work. But they are all self-sufficient now and we are done with that.

I used to make home made bread. You should have no trouble being able to do it, but it doesn't always come out the way it does in stores. They use all kinds of emulsifiers and other agents. That doesn't mean your homemade bread will taste worse than store baked bread. It just means it might have a different texture or something. It will taste fantastic.

I am shocked, quite honestly, after so many years of "enjoying shopping" - it's hard for me to believe that I get more enjoyment of paying things off... Strange, I know. But I can also visualize being excited to throw more into our retirement account - so I can definitely relate! ::yes::

Hahaha... Yes - there is a gigantic savings by not having a Disney trip to shop for... Although - in recent years, I've reused almost everything - so I honestly didn't spend that much on buying stuff for Disney - other than the trip itself. :)

I can't get over how proud I am of her, really. She is doing so great!

I may give it a try here soon... Once I am done working ahead upstairs - I'll need something to occupy my time... :scratchin Why not make bread? LOL

How great that you got under budget on your grocery shopping.

I'm sure you can make ciabatta bread from scratch if you just try it a few times.

How great that V is doing well with her driving.

Congratulation to Allison for being promoted to Shift Lead. The extra money will come in handy to get her debt payed

Ulf went to Sweden yesterday and will be away until next Monday. Which really is a pain in the a** because I can't park my car in the garage. So I have to park it outside where you can only park for max 12 hours Monday-Friday and max 24 hours Monday to Sunday. Which means I have to go out and move the car every day so I don't get a parking fine.

I really need to move to a new apartment where I can get a Handicap parking space for my car. I'm waiting for an appointment with a Occupational Therapist that can help me write the application I need to get help to move to an accessible apartment. I got a letter in early February saying that I would get a Occupational Therapist within a month. So if I haven't heard anything from them in the begging of March I will call and ask what is taking them so long.

It's so nice to be under budget when grocery shopping - sometimes it's very hard to do. ::yes::

Yes - it may take a few tries. LOL

Hopefully everything goes OK with Ulf gone - I understand that it's a pain with your parking - hopefully you will have an Occupational Therapist to help you navigate the system to get your needs met in this area. Sending you lots of Pixie Dust! :lovestruc

Sounds like Allison has a great plan to pay off school. It's always hard to be responsible when you're young. I hope she does make it to college at some point. My family didn't have much money and my parents divorced, so I decided to work for a year and then go to college. I never did though, partially because I didn't have any idea of what I wanted to do and also because I loved having money.

We ordered windows yesterday. Even though I knew it was going to be expensive, I was still shocked. We had stopped in a showroom to see what they had and I told the salesperson we were trying to save the money and do it in the fall. But she told us about all the promotions and 18 month interest free financing. She also said a lot of people do them half at a time. So we had someone out and that's what we're doing, the front half of our house. It has the biggest windows and also has 2 that have rotting sills. But this way we should be able to pay it off, hopefully by next spring. Then we can do the back of the house. We probably could have gone a little cheaper, but we decided to go with Renewal by Andersen.

My grandson keeps talking about going to Disneyland next year for his graduation. We'd probably drive and see the Grand Canyon as that's something I've always wanted to do. We went to Disneyland once about 12 years ago and haven't been back. I hope we do it as I would love to see it again. It gives me something to look forward to. Today we are celebrating his 17th birthday. It's hard to believe!

Allison is doing very well... She has a plan and that's half the battle. I remember being her age, and working hard to make ends meet - I learned a lot about life and paying for it during that time, as I am certain she is doing now. ::yes::

I am the same way - I did go to college for a while, but there was nothing out there that really appealed to me, so I never went back. Do I regret it now? No, not really... Sure, I'd like to make a lot more $$, but in all honesty - I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up and I am perfectly happy doing what I am doing. I am VERY fortunate that Josh did go to college and he makes a very good living - had that not been the case, I am sure I would not be able to do what I love.

Congratulations on getting your windows ordered!!! That is awesome!!! When we installed new windows, um ~ 9 years ago now... We chose to go with Marvin windows - it really was a toss up between Marvin and Anderson though - as they are both great quality. However, our patio door is Anderson... So, is someone installing the windows for you or are you doing it yourselves? You will love having new windows - it made a huge difference in the "draftiness" of our house. ::yes:: And they are so easy to clean!

Oooh - that sounds like a great family trip, for a wonderful celebration! The further we get into this debt pay off process - my "whys" are getting more and more... There are just so many things I want to see and do... The Grand Canyon - and the Hoover Dam are among them... And of course - DL too. :lovestruc

I have been tracking all my spending this month, so I can be more realistic about my spending and know where I can make cuts next month. I haven't done any clothes or shoes shopping for myself in 31 days, but who's counting? Ok I'm counting I turned shopping into my hobby... And now I'm trying to use more self control and I'm kinda miserable about it. I think we have some big life changes in the next 2 years and I want to be in a better financial position. So thanks for getting me to think ahead!

This is awesome! That is a HUGE first step, and an important/necessary one! :woohoo: LOL - I know that feeling all too well, I have done no clothes shopping either - it's so hard!!! I was also very much a hobby shopper - and a boredom shopper... Not that I needed anything at all... :scratchin

You are doing great - and I am super proud of you... I hope you are able to find a way to turn the misery into happiness... I know, for me, just having the CONTROL and seeing it all on paper is so motivating... I can honestly walk through Target now, and see stuff I want, and honestly as myself if I "need" it... Which I never do - and I proudly walk away... It's taken me weeks to get to this point. Sending you hugs definitely, as I can so relate and understand. :hug:

I think this is definitely a place that you need to make a list of "whys"... Why do you want to do this?? What are your dreams?? List them out, it makes a difference - trust me. When I first started - I only had one why... and it was to be able to take our Disney trips without guilt that we had other things to pay for... But as we go on, I keep adding to that list and it's become quite lengthy! There is soooo much that I want to see and do... The best years of our lives are right around the corner and I truly want to enjoy them - if our financial situation doesn't change, there will be no way to enjoy them... You've so got this!!! I know you do! :woohoo: Proud of you, my friend!

**********************************************************************************************************

Quite honestly - no fun updates for you all...

It's hard to have fun updates and to justify any update at all - when we don't do anything. LOL

I spent yesterday morning cleaning the house... I had a quick lunch and then I took a 3 hour nap! :eek: It was lovely. ::yes::

V had to work last night....

Allison stayed home with us - and napped all day too - enjoying her ONLY day off from both jobs... The fact that she is "short" on gas $$ played a lot into that decision - which I didn't mind at all. It's nice having her home and spending time with her. :lovestruc

Last night's menu was "eating out"... Quite honestly - after all of our napping, none of us were interested in getting ready and eating out... and we weren't in the mood to cook either. So, we decided to take advantage of V's discount and had her make us a pizza while she was at work... It was delicious and perfect for our budget. :lmao: We left a 1/4 of the pizza behind for her to eat for dinner. ::yes::

I fell asleep on the couch and don't even remember Josh ushering me upstairs to bed. :scratchin

Today... I'll clean again... Do that small project upstairs... Ummm... maybe another nap. Boring - I know. ::yes:: Oh and I'll do a quick TR update here too. :)

Have a great remainder to your weekend everyone! Prayers and Pixie Dust to all! :lovestruc

D~

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter