ObamaCare Info

TwoAtDisney

Julie
...in case someone needs this info. I posted this on an 8 page thread, but thought someone might need this who doesn't want to go 8 pages!

Here is the main link - https://www.healthcare.gov/

For 24/7 info call - 800-318-2596

or Chat 24/7 - https://www.healthcare.gov/what-is-the-health-insurance-marketplace/ - click the Chat button on the lower right. I got immediate response.

Levels of Coverage on Medical Costs -
Bronze Plan = 60%
Silver Plan - 70%
Gold Plan = 80%
Platinum Plan = 90%

EXAMPLES for INDIANA - $ premium amounts are monthly; this was on the news; the news commetator said she researched & "most" people would qualify for the credit -

27yo, less than $25,000 gross income - Bronze = $200 before credit; $80 after credit.

Family of 4, less than $50,000 gross income - Silver = $961 before credit; $282 after credit. Bronze is $46 after credit.

Good health care insurance luck everyone.

Yeah, but the problems begin when you don't fit into those categories...you're a 27 year old making more than $25K or a family of 4 making more than $50K- then you're subsidizing healthcare for everyone else and your premiums are outrageous. Thanks Obama. Not.

Yeah, but the problems begin when you don't fit into those categories...you're a 27 year old making more than $25K or a family of 4 making more than $50K- then you're subsidizing healthcare for everyone else and your premiums are outrageous. Thanks Obama. Not.

Smartest post I've ever read on here. Double whammy for me because I'm a small business owner .. Wish I was an illegal immigrant or a member of Congress so I could get some decent healthcare.

Have you actually looked, or are you just believing the debate in the media?

The income limits for the subsidies are pretty high, high enough to provide some relief to most of the middle class. And the premiums aren't out of line with comparable coverage now; it is only the subsidy that makes it in any way affordable.

The income limits, for those who are interested. It really isn't a misstatement to say that most Americans will qualify.

$11,490 to $45,960 for individuals
$15,510 to $62,040 for a family of 2
$19,530 to $78,120 for a family of 3
$23,550 to $94,200 for a family of 4
$27,570 to $110,280 for a family of 5
$31,590 to $126,360 for a family of 6
$35,610 to $142,440 for a family of 7
$39,630 to $158,520 for a family of 8

I had to take my son to the podiatrist this morning. He has flat feet and needs orthotics. They cost $450.00. I called my insurance company and was told I would have to pay the whole cost. I haven't met my family deductible. What I have spent so far is I've met my deductible ($1500.) and I spent another $1900. out of pocket towards my maximum out of pocket. But in order to get my insurance to cover 80% of the orthotics, I need to have spent an additional $1100. to meet my family $3000. deductible. I couldn't believe it, I needed to have spent $4500. total with the healthcare needs I had this year in order to get them to cover them. I'm over all of it. I'm sick of the politicians and all their double talk. If they had to pay what we pay, they would fix the system. I'm in favor of Obamacare, bring it on. My only concern is it didn't go far enough.

I know they have made changes, and I've spent a while on that website searching, but when the ACA first passed I actually read through the whole thing (alarmist small business owner parents) and I remember that they had limits on what the deductibles and out of pocket maximums could be for the plans.
Does anybody know if the current numbers for that information is listed anywhere? I keep reading people panic about how it will get worse while complaining about deductibles that are currently over what I thought the new limits would be. That sort of information might help people weigh their thoughts better.

We dont' qualify for any savings, we are just so lucky to have to pay more so other people can though. Its great to be a successful middle class family in America you get to work hard and others get to reap your benefits.

We dont' qualify for any savings, we are just so lucky to have to pay more so other people can though. Its great to be a successful middle class family in America you get to work hard and others get to reap your benefits.

Lots of people are depending on YOU to work hard to pay for their healthcare!

Our premiums stayed level but our deductible went up by $6,000 for two of us.

This Healthcare law is the largest and most burdensome tax on the middle class in the history of our country.

Can someone clarify something for me? If I select the silver plan, which covers 70%, are there co-pays and deductibles with that? Or is it just - they cover 70% and we cover 30%, right from the start?

This Healthcare law is the largest and most burdensome tax on the middle class in the history of our country.

What definition of "middle" are you using? The cutoff for a family of 4 only excludes roughly the top 25% of American households. And I think that's part of the underlying problem in any national conversation about health care, college, or any other "affordability" topic... The public discourse has shifted "middle" upward to include all but the super-rich, so conversations about "the middle class" end up focused on the low six figure income bracket even though that's double the national median.

What do you think you are doing now? One reason healthcare costs are so high is because we are already subsidizing people without care who go to emergency rooms to seek treatment. Unless you are prepared to let the poor & uninsured die in the streets, we will always subsidize others.

Well..that was helpful but worthless since nothing is actually on the site about cost until October 1. I don't have much faith in the navigators they are training at this point either since they really don't get all that much training. Think about how your IRS questions are handled..as in no one knows, confusing different answers form everyone you ask and you have an idea how this will probably go. Still..it is what we have and will bankrupt the country more than it already is, so will see what kind of subsidies for what kind of plans I will get.

What definition of "middle" are you using? The cutoff for a family of 4 only excludes roughly the top 25% of American households. And I think that's part of the underlying problem in any national conversation about health care, college, or any other "affordability" topic... The public discourse has shifted "middle" upward to include all but the super-rich, so conversations about "the middle class" end up focused on the low six figure income bracket even though that's double the national median.

I'm using my "middle" for my family.
The problem with defining the middle class is that you cant just do it by household income and number of family members.
I live in a high COL area, our household salary doesn't stretch the way it would if I lived in some small town in Nebraska.
We make too little to be considered upper middle class here, but we make too much to take advantage of the tax benefits/breaks or other government programs others can.
It is what its, I accept that, doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. It is disappointing knowing that our insurance premiums will go up, coverage will go down, and because on paper we make X amount of money we are SOL with finding something more affordable under Obamacare. Wasn't that program supposed to make insurance affordable for all?
I am glad for the people who will benefit from it, but lets be honest, someone has to be shut out in order for that to happen and unfortunately its "my" middle class.

So far we have been told we can keep the insurance plan we already have. I hope this is correct. Our premiums are not going up, but last year our coverage went down a bit (higher co-pays and higher deductibles.)

Dawn

Great post twoatdisney. Bottom line compare what you have to your state healthcare exchange starting Tuesday, October 1. The exchange may be cheaper and offer more. At least that way you will know how good your coverage is compared to the plans available on the state exchanges. And if you have a high deductible it might be time to get rid of it. And with the exchanges you may qualify for a subsidy. It's worth comparing what you have to what will be available Oct 1.

I'm using my "middle" for my family.
The problem with defining the middle class is that you cant just do it by household income and number of family members.
I live in a high COL area, our household salary doesn't stretch the way it would if I lived in some small town in Nebraska.
We make too little to be considered upper middle class here, but we make too much to take advantage of the tax benefits/breaks or other government programs others can.
It is what its, I accept that, doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. It is disappointing knowing that our insurance premiums will go up, coverage will go down, and because on paper we make X amount of money we are SOL with finding something more affordable under Obamacare. Wasn't that program supposed to make insurance affordable for all?
I am glad for the people who will benefit from it, but lets be honest, someone has to be shut out in order for that to happen and unfortunately its "my" middle class.

Totally agree with this. $94,000 is the cut off for subsidation for a family of 4?. $94,000 is NOT rich in this part of the country

You do understand that you're paying for people who don't have healthcare now, don't you? All those ER visits and critical illness due to postponed treatments are passed onto the insurance consumer and taxpayer.

What do you think you are doing now? One reason healthcare costs are so high is because we are already subsidizing people without care who go to emergency rooms to seek treatment. Unless you are prepared to let the poor & uninsured die in the streets, we will always subsidize others.

Ding ding ding!!

Folks who use that "i don't want to pay for the lazy poor people" line have absolutely NO understanding of how the health care system has been working for the last say 3 decades.

Public service announcement: If you currently have insurance you are ALREADY paying for the uninsured. If you have car insurance part of that goes to cover the uninsured. PERIOD, end of conversation. If it helps you to feel better ranting and raving about not wanting to cover some one else, feel free to do so but if you believe for one nanosecond you do not cover the uninsured ALREADY then you really do believe tinker bell is real.

since generally these threads are not giving information but more of a "rant-fess" I'm returning to spectator.

You do understand that you're paying for people who don't have healthcare now, don't you? All those ER visits and critical illness due to postponed treatments are passed onto the insurance consumer and taxpayer.

Yes of course I do but that isn't what this about. Its about the "fairness" of who gets to take advantage of this particular government program.
Like I said its just disappointing that on paper we make to much to be able to, but in reality we are in a position where it would be very helpful for us financially the same way it would be for many others that are actually able to take advantage of the program.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter