• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

NYE, planning and strategizing.

jlw3535

Earning My Ears
while this is far from our first trip, this WILL be our first time experiencing the crowds the week between Christmas and New Year. Something about us feeling like we shouldn't take our high schooler out of school for Disney trips anymore ...

Anyway ... we're staying on property, FP+ booked, dining reservations set for our must-dos, all that jazz. However ... I have some questions about the NYE fireworks shows and anything else that may be unique to those nights that we haven't had the benefit of experiencing to see how we should attack them this year.

We're doing Dec. 30 at MK for fireworks, and then EMH. We know it's different than Wishes, so we're trying to figure out what our best option for viewing is. Currently have a dessert party reservation, but not thrilled with the prospect of dropping $70 each for the possibility of having a restricted view (we have "reserved" seating, which thanks to people here, we found out may be under the overhang). Can we enjoy this show from, say, Liberty Square? I'd love to hear where people have watched this in the past. I will suck it up and get in line an hour before the doors open, which means two hours before fireworks ... but ... I'd like to hear how others have done this.

We've heard good things about Epcot for NYE, but with a 14-year old, I'm thinking that we will leave the world showcase to those over 21. We've thought about checking out HS that night for the new Jingle Bell/Jingle Bam, and I *thought* I read something about SW fireworks that night as well. I'm open to hearing what others have done at either park to get those fireworks in.

Thanks much for the help in advance. We're planning on taking this trip with much less of a planned agenda, other than the fireworks shows - because those are unique to the time of year and can't be done on our next trip. Any pointers are welcome.

Definitely do MK on the 30th and then Epcot on NYE. There will be tons of kids at Epcot and you'll have a great time. Epcots nye fireworks are the best on property.

For MK fireworks on the 30th you'll be seeing their NYE fireworks show. So it'll be a 360 degree firework show. I would ditch the desert party to save that money and be anywhere along Main Street near the castle, or over in frontier land

We've gone to Disney for NYE just about every year since 2006. Now that Osborne Lights is no more ( :sad: ) we've given our Disney NYE trips an indefinite hiatus. (We might return one day after they put DHS back together again. It depends on what Disney allows the Imagineers to do.)

This is what we've found worked.

1) Go to MK on Dec 30th. Don't bother getting up early that day. Book your FPs for the afternoon/early evening. Crowds are insane and lines long for everything. Having 3 FPs assures you'll be able to do something with relative ease for at least 2-3 hours. You can throw in other activities as they come up.

2) We usually don't do meals in the parks. Especially avoid it on Dec 31. The restaurants get backed up and tables don't turn over as quickly as normal. You can throw in an ADR at the resorts or days other than the 31st. Just give yourself a big enough buffer before and after.

3) We sleep late because we're at the parks all night. We jump to whichever park has late night EMH. Traditionally this has meant DHS for the 31st. Hanging out that extra 2 hours means the roads have a chance to clear and you won't be sitting on a bus for 2 hours. No joke. I-4 encounters 4 hour backups on 12/31. Those backups stretch all the way into World Drive and EPCOT Center Drive. Buena Vista Blvd is a parking lot.

When they had Osborne Lights, hanging out in DHS until 3am was a joy. Those that wanted to do rides, were on multiple rounds of ToT and RnR (6-7 times in an hour). The rest of us were relaxing under the Christmas Lights. It just won't be the same this year.

4) EPCOT ends most of their Christmas festivities on Dec 30 so they can get ready for the NYE bash. If you want to enjoy Christmas around the world, the last day to visit is 12/29. They do special holiday fireworks after Illuminations, all the Santa storytellers are out, Candlelight Processional is ongoing, decorations are up. 12/30 on you just see some pathetic remnants of the holiday with no real celebrations.

Now for NYE if you like horrendous crowds, lots of drinking, lines for bathrooms and jostling for position to see anything, then by all means go to EPCOT. First time you visit, you may be awed by the NY Times Square atmosphere. We did it a couple times then came to the conclusion we'd rather be stuck at home with the flu, then set foot in EPCOT on NYE. Just picture the worst F&W Saturday night and multiply it by 100. Guests do behave badly that night. Don't get me wrong, the fireworks are nice and there are multiple band/DJ parties in several countries. It's just far too crowded to be worth it for us.

5) MK sees the biggest crowds on Main Street and FantasyLand. It's so crowded they open up the backstage area behind the Sweet Shop to help shuffle crowds in. If you're tall, you'll be able to see something. But no one is comfortable on Main Street or in the circle. We bypass that entirely until after midnight. Fortunately there are many great areas to see the fireworks in the park. TomorrowLand, ToonTown, FrontierLand. (If you head over to Little Mermaid you'll find more walking space.)

MK does two different fireworks shows. HolidayWishes (the Christmas Party fireworks) and the NYE fireworks. Both have panoramic elements. HolidayWishes will begin at 11:50. Stick around because at exactly 11:59:40, Mickey & gang will be counting down to midnight in the sky.

12/30 is traditionally the night MK does EMH. That means it's open until 3am for onsite guests. They have a DJ on the Castle stage and have a big party all night long. (Although, we preferred staying until after 3am when the DJ shuts up and the nice Christmas music comes on over the park speakers. Feels like you're inside a train garden.) Officially 12/30 is their test run but they do all the same things as on 12/31.

6) Some people are into early mornings. They're happiest getting up at dawn and getting to the parks at rope drop. I've had reports from many friends that they can manage several rides before 11am on holiday week. Downside is they are usually wiped out by 9pm. Since most of the Christmas/NYE stuff is designed for night time viewing (when the lights and fireworks show up), early birds have a hard time enjoying it. We are natural nightowls. So we get to sleep around 5am, wake up after 12noon, and don't hop a bus until 4-5pm. Then we're out until 3-4am. The parks are emptiest at night when the crowd goes home.

7) Do NOT tire yourself out at the pool all day. Many parents make the mistake of letting their young ones spend all day playing in the pool then try to get them to enjoy a full night in the park. You're talking 8 hours in a crowded park. Kids don't have energy for that if they spent 6 running around a pool all day. It's better to do lowkey things. Let them sleep late. Hang out and watch a movie in the room. Give them 1-2 hours in the pool then a nap. You want your day to begin just before sunset.

NYE can be lots of fun. Just don't expect to do all the things you'll do on a normal non-holiday trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter