NYC What I saw women wear to work.

A black slim skirt just to the knee, a black short-sleeved silk blouse, a mid-heeled black leather pump, and a black sweater or over-the-hip jacket. It's the NY uniform. Has been forever. Add a scarf for interest, a statement necklace, a unique pair of earrings or bag. The basic outfit gets you everywhere, matches everything, minimizes trips to the dry cleaner, is flattering on everyone, and means you can buy nice things on clearance at Barney's. Oh, I remember these days. That week I dropped a few hundred on a lovely pair of shoes. I felt like a Vanderbilt.

i spent a week with my dh out in NYC. Our son works there so we stay with him. He lives across the East River in Long Island City. Anyways, we rode the subway every morning into the city and rode along with people going to work.

I am from the Midwest, and I guess I was sort of surprised by what the women were wearing. A good majority of the women were wearing these really pretty "shift" dresses, with ankle boots. I had to google the dress to actually find one on line. These dresses are not in the stores by me. Some dresses were really short and if the women in the Midwest had on a dress that short they have black leggings on underneath. I rarely saw any one with the black leggings on, which is very popular right now in the Midwest.

Maybe I am not up to date with my fashion in the Midwest, I have seen the ankle boots in the stores for over a year now, I just couldn't believe the boots were making a come back again after 30 years. I had at least 3 pairs. Everyone wears knee length boots or cowboy boots with their dresses in Wisconsin, or flip flops with dresses in the summer.

I live in the midwest.
I'm in my early 30's.
This sounds like fashion.... wait for it. In the midwest.

NYC streets are filthy, especially on the subway, and walking on concrete all day is hard on your feet, ankles, back, etc. Ankle boots tend to have a little arch support, and they cover your feet so the city grime doesn't get on them. Wearing flip flops in NYC is a recipe for plantar fasciitis (and I hope you have your tetanus shot).

I work at a university. I was noticing the other day how many of the students wear leggings with short T-shirts. I'd say it's about 80% of the young women.

I work at a University as well, one in the midwest that attracts a lot of students from the Tri-State area; and yes, I see the summer-shift-with-boots look there, too; and I still think it looks off. It isn't the styling that's off, it's the textures. A boot with tights and a sleeveless boucle shift, or one made of ponte? Sure, that's an appropriate mix of seasonal texture. A boot with linen? Nope.

While I don't think there are still pockets of the US where style lags several seasons behind, I do think there are regional variations in taste, and what will be available locally will reflect that. I grew up in the South, and I find that I have a very Southern sensibility when it comes to clothing. Put me in any major department store in the South and I'll be able to find something that I like within an hour, but here in the midwest I often can spend an entire day in a mall and come away totally empty-handed. Buyers know what sells in a particular region, and that is what they will stock there.

People actually pay attention to this stuff? You worry about what some random woman is wearing on the subway?

People actually pay attention to this stuff? You worry about what some random woman is wearing on the subway?
Sure, great place to people watch, even though the majority have their eye's closed so they don't have to make eye contact.

Sure, great place to people watch, even though the majority have their eye's closed so they don't have to make eye contact.

Most of us have our eye closed so we can catch a few extra minutes of sleep. NYC lives on the sleep when you die mentality.

Most of us have our eye closed so we can catch a few extra minutes of sleep. NYC lives on the sleep when you die mentality.
Do you ever miss your stop? You only have a few seconds to get off the subway when it stop.

Do you ever miss your stop? You only have a few seconds to get off the subway when it stop.

Sober I have never missed my stop. I usually set an alarm on my phone (plays through my headphones) for about 3 minutes less that what the standard no issues subway ride should be.

Its not a deep sleep. Its more twilight. Your subconscious knows when to get you moving. Like when you drive a car home, completely sober, but on autopilot.

Back in the day, I fell asleep after working a 12 hour night shift in Manhattan. We lived in Carroll Gardens, I woke up in Coney Island. Only happened once, lol.

I don't think I've ever fallen asleep on the subway (and I have been riding twice a day for 15 years)

A good majority of the women were wearing these really pretty "shift" dresses, with ankle boots. I had to google the dress to actually find one on line. These dresses are not in the stores by me. Some dresses were really short and if the women in the Midwest had on a dress that short they have black leggings on underneath.

How is this just a NYC thing? :confused3 After seeing this thread, I snapped this advertizement poster on the wall at Old Navy. This is part of their current fall fashion in the stores now. Old Navy is a national chain store.

C360_2015-09-23-21-43-32-441_zpsltfpp5w2.jpg

How is this just a NYC thing? :confused3 After seeing this thread, I snapped this advertizement poster on the wall at Old Navy. This is part of their current fall fashion in the stores now. Old Navy is a national chain store.

C360_2015-09-23-21-43-32-441_zpsltfpp5w2.jpg
This is it, and yes I probably can go shopping and find this, but that doesn't mean it is popular right now. You may see very fashionable people wearing this, but where I live it is still cowboy boots under dresses, or flip flops. Yet, it only takes one daring person to buy the outfit, and then people will follow.

I was thinking of this thread....My SIL plans to wear these boots and a knee length dress to my son's wedding-evening wedding-I just cant see this for cocktail attire on an older woman:scared:
(but keeping my mouth shut)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter