• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Now Approaching... Sleepingbooty's Sept. PTR (We're BAAACK! 9/26)

I love the background fluff!

And it's fabulous that you can substitute now, it's nice to have options!

I WAS thinking of WCC - or maybe Ohana?

Are you including the Poly in your presentation?

I was going to suggest a WL themed menu ala WCC as well. It's be hard to serve it in skillets but you could do ribs, BBQ chicken, corn bread and baked beans (corn on the cob might be tough this time of year) and a nice salad.

When I read your title, I had to laugh OUTLOUD at the first thought that popped into my head. I think you know I"ve had company for a week, and so haven't been able to be as "free" or "uninhibited" shall we say, with my fluffing. Can I just tell you that I am very much looking forward to tomorrow when my NO-Fluff-Zone is once again expanded to my entire house. Then I wont' have to always have "Background Fluff"- it can go back to front and center!:banana::banana::banana:

Oh no, I didn't even think of that! I had a friend when I was a little girl who said "fluff" - we say "toot". :rotfl:

Yep, you better keep those fluffs in the background for now!

On a more serious note, don't ever think any of us would be bored here! We live for these kinds of updates (we wouldn't be here otherwise!). Anyway, hope you find just the place and thing He wants you to do. Ask and He will show you!

You are so right. I just need to give it up to Him and take the backseat!

Those girls are cute!! I think if you got a full-time job, you would be seriously overloaded with all you have going now. Something woudl have to go. :confused3

Thank you! I know, my Brownie co-leader was about to kill me when threatened to go back to school!

Oh no, I didn't even think of that! I had a friend when I was a little girl who said "fluff" - we say "toot". :rotfl:

Yep, you better keep those fluffs in the background for now!

You are so right. I just need to give it up to Him and take the backseat!

Thank you! I know, my Brownie co-leader was about to kill me when threatened to go back to school!

Fluffing may now resume; my guests just left, and ah, I"m basking in the returned freedom of fluffing at will.

I love the background fluff!

And it's fabulous that you can substitute now, it's nice to have options!

Are you including the Poly in your presentation?

I was going to suggest a WL themed menu ala WCC as well. It's be hard to serve it in skillets but you could do ribs, BBQ chicken, corn bread and baked beans (corn on the cob might be tough this time of year) and a nice salad.

No, Poly is not a choice - I wish! That is my dream resort. Someday - maybe when I have a job :laughing:

It's just that Ohana has always been a favorite of ours, we typically go there our first night in. And, its the only Disney meal I've ever tried to recreate. I can do a MEAN bread pudding. I don't do a bananas foster sauce, though. Don't care much for nanners. I just make a caramel sauce.

I'm thinking it will be too cold to grill meat outside on Sunday, though. Right now its 5 degrees! So, Ohana style meal is out.

I'd like to do a Whispering Canyon type meal, but my mom is NOT a fan of bbq- althought the rest of us all love it. It might not do much to endear her to the idea of Wilderness Lodge. Although, she's the one that needs the least convincing. So, that might work. Hmmm, I don't know how to make ribs - I know a lot of people smoke them, but we don't have a smoker, and again, that would be outside. Are they good in the oven?

No, Poly is not a choice - I wish! That is my dream resort. Someday - maybe when I have a job :laughing:

It's just that Ohana has always been a favorite of ours, we typically go there our first night in. And, its the only Disney meal I've ever tried to recreate. I can do a MEAN bread pudding. I don't do a bananas foster sauce, though. Don't care much for nanners. I just make a caramel sauce.

I'm thinking it will be too cold to grill meat outside on Sunday, though. Right now its 5 degrees! So, Ohana style meal is out.

I'd like to do a Whispering Canyon type meal, but my mom is NOT a fan of bbq- althought the rest of us all love it. It might not do much to endear her to the idea of Wilderness Lodge. Although, she's the one that needs the least convincing. So, that might work. Hmmm, I don't know how to make ribs - I know a lot of people smoke them, but we don't have a smoker, and again, that would be outside. Are they good in the oven?

Mnnn! Bread pudding!

I do my ribs completely in the oven, I can post the recipe if you want! I'll trade recipes actually as I've yet to find the "perfect" bread pudding. Though I did find the perfect bourbon cream sauce for it!

We drove all the way across county several times in the old Family Truckster (“You think you hate it now, wait til you drive it.”). 10 points if you can name the quote – 20 if you can find a picture to go with it

OMG we love that movie, national lampoon's vacation, they're at the car lot, having just crushed the trade-in, yelling for "Davenport"!

great PTR, hope your powerpoint goes well! will keep reading! we are headed for pofq in feb, having never stayed there so your recommendation was great!

Mnnn! Bread pudding!

I do my ribs completely in the oven, I can post the recipe if you want! I'll trade recipes actually as I've yet to find the "perfect" bread pudding. Though I did find the perfect bourbon cream sauce for it!

I'd love to have it! Thanks!

Here is the Bread Pudding Recipe I use, its from allearsnet:

Ohana Bread Pudding​
Ingredients
5 eggs
3 cups whole milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 cup sugar
8 cups french or 'Ohana breakfast bread

1. In bowl mix eggs, milk , salt, sugar and nutmeg. Set aside.
2. Cut bread in medium pieces, place on cookie sheet pan put in 350 degree oven.
3. Bake bread until lightly toasted, about 15 minutes. Remove bread and place in egg and milk mixture.
4. Place mixture in a greased 10-inch cake pan and bake at 325 degree for 1 hour.
5. Let stand 5 minutes, serve hot with ice cream.

BANANA FOSTER SAUCE
4 oz sugar
4 oz brown sugar
4 oz corn syrup
4 oz unsalted butter
1cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1cup spiced rum
1cup banana slices

1. Combine sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and half of heavy cream in a large pan. Bring to a boil and slowly add remaining heavy cream keeping mixture at a steady boil.

2. Add spiced rum and flambe.

3. Candy will brown slightly; cook 3 minutes until candy forms into a firm ball in cold water. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Add sliced bananas. Serve warm.

Now, I don't make that sauce - I just buy smuckers caramel sauce and it works great. I've also used the thicker caramel in the jar and heated it on the stove with heavy cream to thin it out some. Also good. On the bread - I've used french bread and I've used plain old white bread. Both are fine. And, I use skim milk instead of whole, because that's what we keep on hand. Can't tell the diff. Never tried to make the Ohana breakfast bread - but I'm sure there is a recipe out there for that somewhere as well.

here you go!

These are not very traditional BBQy if that makes sense, which is what I love about them. I offer sauce on the side (I have a group of sweet baby rays fanatics, I prefer it without that) and then add sauce to about half of them, and keep the others with just the Bourbon sauce

Baby Back Ribs

Courtesy of Dave Lieberman and Food Network

Ingredients

* 2 racks baby back ribs (about 2 1/2 pounds)
* 1 recipe Bourbon Barbecue Sauce, recipe follows

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cut the racks of ribs in half crosswise. Rub the ribs, paying special attention to the meaty side, with 1/2 cup of the sauce. Lay the rib pieces meat side down in an 11 by 13-inch baking dish. The pieces will overlap slightly.

Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake until the meat begins to pull away from the ends of the bones and the ribs are just tender, about 1 hour. You can bake the ribs up to a day before and keep them refrigerated. Bring refrigerated ribs to room temperature about 1 hour before you grill them.

Preheat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat. Grill the ribs, brushing them with about half the remaining sauce, until they're crispy and heated through, about 10 minutes. Move the ribs around as they grill, the sugar in barbecue sauce makes it easy for them to burn. Let the ribs rest for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting them into 1 or 2-bone pieces. Put out the rest of the sauce for dipping or brush it over the ribs.

I've made these to take to picnics so just have them in the oven a bit longer and, wrap them in foil, take them with us and we are good to go! We eat right from there, so they are soft fall apart versus crispy and no grill needed.

I've also done them with just using the Tom Douglas Rub and then baking as above, serving those with the sauce but do grill them for the 10 minutes with the sauce added to juice them up a bit. For those I use his sauce as well. My group is divided on which ones they like better.

Also, here is the sauce I used on my Bread Pudding, it is SOOOOO good!

Kentucky Bourbon Sauce

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
* 1 cup half-and-half
* 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 1 tablespoons cornstarch
* 3 tablespoons bourbon

Directions

Heat the cream, half-and-half, vanilla, and sugar in a saucepan over high heat, whisking, for 3 minutes. Dissolve the cornstarch in the bourbon. When bubbles form around the edges of the cream, whisk in the bourbon mixture. As the cream boils up, remove the pot from the heat and continue whisking vigorously until thoroughly blended and slight thickened. Place over low heat and simmer for 1 minute. (This is not a thick cream sauce; it's meant to be fairly thin.)

It's funny. We don't drink bourbon but boy do I have several recipes that use it!

Thanks for the O'hana Bread Pudding recipe!! That was the best dessert I had at WDW by far!! YUM!!!! :lovestruc

Did I just see and excuse to go buy a bottle of bourbon? My family lives in Kentucky, I would think I could go right to the source next time I"m out there!! :confused3;)

OMG we love that movie, national lampoon's vacation, they're at the car lot, having just crushed the trade-in, yelling for "Davenport"!

great PTR, hope your powerpoint goes well! will keep reading! we are headed for pofq in feb, having never stayed there so your recommendation was great!

:yay:Welcome to my ptr!! :yay: Thanks for joining in....

Hey, you are the only one that got the quote - 10 points!

You will love POFQ, its just beautiful. I can't really think of anything I didn't like about it. I had a hard time coming up with anything to put on the "cons" list on my powerpoint. Which, by the way, is finished! :woohoo:

here you go!

These are not very traditional BBQy if that makes sense, which is what I love about them. I offer sauce on the side (I have a group of sweet baby rays fanatics, I prefer it without that) and then add sauce to about half of them, and keep the others with just the Bourbon sauce

Thanks! Can't wait to try it. We are Sweet Baby Ray's lovers here, too. That recipe for the bourbon sauce is for bread pudding, right? Not the bourbon bbq sauce mentioned above? I can't imagine put that on ribs, but you never know!

Thanks! Can't wait to try it. We are Sweet Baby Ray's lovers here, too. That recipe for the bourbon sauce is for bread pudding, right? Not the bourbon bbq sauce mentioned above? I can't imagine put that on ribs, but you never know!

Yes, the 2nd one is a bread pudding sauce!

Did I just see and excuse to go buy a bottle of bourbon? My family lives in Kentucky, I would think I could go right to the source next time I"m out there!! :confused3;)

If your family is from Kentucky, you don NEED an excuse! Just horse race and a pretty hat!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter