• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not digging the “no carpeting” new trend

Reslly easy to wet mop laminate with disinfectant. I have seen housekeeping at the pop wet mop those floors.
I’ve personally never seen housekeeping wet mop at any hotel. I’ve only seen them use a spray bottle and essentially a dust mop. Really gross. I love to hear some of them still actually mop—but I always wear crocs or flip flops just in case 🤢

Prefer the hard floor option... We normally stay BC but this time will try YC... ( for the buses and the hard floor.) We figure we'll bring a swiffer handle and will buy the wet cloths when we do our arrival grocery trip. What housekeeping misses on the hard floor we'll take care of... we also always bring lysol wipes and spray cleaner and paper towel ... to clean other stuff up. (In the past we've been given rooms where carpet were wet from leaks and musty (twice), from cleaning up vomit from the previous guests (twice also - the smell gives that one away), and once from someone spilling some super strong garlicy smelling food that literally hung around the carpet for days...)

I’ve personally never seen housekeeping wet mop at any hotel. I’ve only seen them use a spray bottle and essentially a dust mop. Really gross. I love to hear some of them still actually mop—but I always wear crocs or flip flops just in case 🤢
I have seen them do that in small spaces. It’s not gross if they are using disinfectant In the spray bottle. Definitely more sanitary than any hotel carpet.

I have seen them do that in small spaces. It’s not gross if they are using disinfectant In the spray bottle. Definitely more sanitary than any hotel carpet.
It can still be gross. Once I had something sticky in my bathroom floor and they would not come wet mop it. They just keep spritzing it and smearing it around. I finally just asked to be moved.

I totally agree though that any carpet is disgusting. I had carpet my whole life until I built my own house. Now I have wood and tile, and only a couple of rugs. My own filth was too nasty for me; I definitely don’t care to walk around (or put my things on) anybody else’s 😝

You’ve now posted the same picture, what, 4 times in the same thread? What are you looking to accomplish?
It’s not just Motel 6’s that are moving away from carpets. Most hotels around the world are moving away from carpeting. Hardwood and laminate floors are the popular flooring right now and they are so much easier to clean.

Last edited:

You’ve now posted the same picture, what, 4 times in the same thread? What are you looking to accomplish?
It’s not just Motel 6’s that are moving away from carpets. Most hotels around the world are moving away from carpeting. Hardwood and laminate floors are the popular flooring right now and they are so much easier to clean.
We should probably dig up photos of all the low end hotels with carpet. Apparently that shows it's a low rent design feature. :lmao:

I prefer the laminate floors myself. I can't stand carpets. I just had laminate flooring (water resistant) put down in my house in every room, even closets. I was so happy to see all the carpeting gone!

The best part of carpet was sound absorption and safer when dropping a glass etc. I knew the vinyl floor would not be much cleaner, because it still needs to be washed and we all know that does not happen much. Our socks still get just as dirty walking on it as they did with carpet:( We also take clorox wipes to wipe down the drawers, knobs etc. BUT I draw the line at washing the floors, this needs to be done regularly by mousekeeping, and it's not. We have been 3 times, so far, in rooms that have the vinyl flooring and each time they seem to be a bit more dirtier. I totally agree with a PP that mentioned a shoe mat by the door to place your shoes. As for the refurb and the very generic/boring theme, we are not a fan, as they can easily add some character to the rooms to reflect that specific resort without going overboard.

The best part of carpet was sound absorption and safer when dropping a glass etc. I knew the vinyl floor would not be much cleaner, because it still needs to be washed and we all know that does not happen much. Our socks still get just as dirty walking on it as they did with carpet:( We also take clorox wipes to wipe down the drawers, knobs etc. BUT I draw the line at washing the floors, this needs to be done regularly by mousekeeping, and it's not. We have been 3 times, so far, in rooms that have the vinyl flooring and each time they seem to be a bit more dirtier. I totally agree with a PP that mentioned a shoe mat by the door to place your shoes. As for the refurb and the very generic/boring theme, we are not a fan, as they can easily add some character to the rooms to reflect that specific resort without going overboard.

Carpets are also safer for kids when they run around or fall down as carpets provide traction and are less slippery than laminate floors and provided cushioning if someone hits their head on the floor.

It's all about cost savings.

If Disney could get away with no shower they would.

This is the "trend" they are following. Guess where this is?
View attachment 546377

That table in the corner makes me think that Denny's is putting beds in their restaurants, but then it could be the liquor talking.

I doubt they are steam cleaning the laminate flooring. Probably just vacuuming it and not scrubbing the floor.

They definitely are not steam cleaning the floors or even wet mopping. Housekeeping just runs a dry swiffer in the pathways where you walk.
Don't believe me?
Turn the flashlight on on your phone and look under the beds. Archeologists are giving the layers of dirt names like 2017, 2018, 2019 and the housekeeping purge of 2020.

Are you talking about this picture:

Or this picture?

I think you mean this picture:

~NM

I like the Motel 6 rooms better than Boardwalk, Poly or Grand Floridian rooms, so there's that. 😬

Boardwalk rooms are especially hideous.

View attachment 546433
People go here often enough and enjoy themselves. Some don't know what they missed lol.

Others find $125-150 at Pop ends up not costing much more in the end when MBs, MDE, FP priority, EMH and daily transport for a party of 4 were factored in. I can't really dig WDW much on value prices because for some parties it's still by far the best bang for the buck and will squeeze the most experience out of their expensive park tickets.
Yeah, I tend to like to stay onsite for WDW. I did DL for the first time last January and stayed offsite there with no issues. WDW is so big that I like being in the bubble.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter