Not being judgmental just trying to justify a pipe dream

tinkerbellandeeyor

DIS Veteran
So I was looking at the prices for monorail resorts I figured on this vacation that well not happen in my life time the price for one week and one person is three thousand dollars now to be fair that does include my ticket to the parks but those who go commando like I do how do you justify like I do or are deluxes for those that actually relax at Disney

Just a reminder this vacation will never happen in my life time this was just so I could see how much the contemporary cost

We stay at the Villas at Deluxe, and yes, we relax, at least some of the time.

We would think nothing of watching the movie at the resort, then popping another movie in the Blue-Ray player in the room. Especially if we plan on an early morning.

My life dictates that we aren't rope drop to close people. My health just won't allow it.

I spend most of my time in the parks, so I can't justify deluxe anymore. We were lucky enough to stay at the Contemporary when my ex-husband was in Orlando for a conference, and while I loved it - the location is just so convenient - if I had to pay 100% out of pocket I can't imagine I would feel I was getting the value out of it. We also stayed at Grand Floridian one time (as part of an extended family thing) and to be honest, it is my least favorite resort. So try not to feel like you are missing a ton. Being on the monorail used to be such a convenience but the monorail is so temperamental these days, I'm not sure it's even a bonus!

Well, people have different incomes, different priorities, different budgets. There are very good discounts certain times of year. Some people rent DVC points. I personaly save up to go every other year and select the best option I can afford at the time. With a family of 5 sometimes a deluxe is a fair option vs suites.

So I was looking at the prices for monorail resorts I figured on this vacation that well not happen in my life time the price for one week and one person is three thousand dollars now to be fair that does include my ticket to the parks but those who go commando like I do how do you justify like I do or are deluxes for those that actually relax at Disney

Just a reminder this vacation will never happen in my life time this was just so I could see how much the contemporary cost

Have you given any thought to a split stay? If a Deluxe for a week is above your budget maybe you can stay at a value for 5 days and stay at a Deluxe for the last 2 days of your trip. Think of it as sort of a vacation within a vacation. Go commando for 5 days while at the Value resort then relax for 2 days at a Deluxe. Maybe book one of the monorail resorts for your last 2 days to allow for a quick visit to MK or EPCOT if the mood strikes.

We stay deluxe and most definitely do Not do commando touring. The resort is a big part of the vacation. We enjoy the amenities and the pool time. We always take afternoon breaks. So, the "feeling" we get at the resort is actually quite important on our family vacation at WDW. We are also a family of five, so some of our options are limited. I think everyone has different priorities and styles on vacation. There's no wrong way to do Disney. But, I hope you enjoy your trip!

For me, I like staying Deluxe along the monorail because I have two small kids (ages 2 and 6) and we can walk to and from MK when we stay at CR and/or hop on the monorail. Makes it a lot easier to head back to the resort for afternoon relaxation, swims and naps. For me, it's worth the extra $.

Have you given any thought to a split stay? If a Deluxe for a week is above your budget maybe you can stay at a value for 5 days and stay at a Deluxe for the last 2 days of your trip. Think of it as sort of a vacation within a vacation. Go commando for 5 days while at the Value resort then relax for 2 days at a Deluxe. Maybe book one of the monorail resorts for your last 2 days to allow for a quick visit to MK or EPCOT if the mood strikes.

I well consider that how do you book a split stay

I well consider that how do you book a split stay
A split stay is simply two reservations back to back at different resorts. You can book it on line, with a travel agent or on the phone with Disney, just like any other stay.

We did one on our last trip. We stayed at the Grand Floridian Villas and POFQ. We packed up our room and moved from one resort to another.

A split stay is simply two reservations back to back at different resorts. You can book it on line, with a travel agent or on the phone with Disney, just like any other stay.

We did one on our last trip. We stayed at the Grand Floridian Villas and POFQ. We packed up our room and moved from one resort to another.

Definitely something to look into thanks for the info

I gotta agree.

Different strokes for different folks, OP. I would cheerfully spend that much at a 5 star hotel in London or Paris or Rome. I can afford to, but would never do that to stay at the monorail resorts. It's not just that I tend to tour commando style- I do that in cities I mentioned above- it's just that the monorail resorts don't appeal to me in the same way. I considered a split stay with Beach or Yacht for the pool but I was too lazy to go through with it. You get almost all the same amenities at a value, and you don't get priority dining as an amenity at the deluxes which would probably nudge me in that direction if it existed.

We stay deluxe and most definitely do Not do commando touring. The resort is a big part of the vacation. We enjoy the amenities and the pool time. We always take afternoon breaks. So, the "feeling" we get at the resort is actually quite important on our family vacation at WDW. We are also a family of five, so some of our options are limited. I think everyone has different priorities and styles on vacation. There's no wrong way to do Disney. But, I hope you enjoy your trip!

I agree. We go in August (the airfare is so cheap then) and i'll save up all year so we can stay in a deluxe resort. But since it's so hot in August (DS & DH are heat sensitive), we enjoy the pool & resort in the day, catch an early dinner & then hit the parks around 6, so for us it's worth it to be in a deluxe resort as we do spend a lot of time in our hotel. I agree with other posters, the monorail has been so inconsistent that I don't know if being on a monorail is a real plus anymore. I enjoy the bus and boat options at WL.

Staying at a Deluxe doesn't mean you can't tour the parks from open to close. But more than likely it wouldn't happen everyday.

For some people they like deluxe resorts because they want to relax and spend only a handful of hours per day in the parks.

For others they don't have a choice because they have a family of 5.

And for others it's mostly about the space and location.

I stay deluxe because of location, space and amenities. But I'm still up early for rope drop.

I don't think it's about justifying the price either just because you're in a deluxe. Even if you stay in a value resort there may be others in the world who would shake their heads because they would rather stay offsite than on property with its inflated resort prices.

Staying at a Deluxe doesn't mean you can't tour the parks from open to close.

But it does mean that for some of us. :)

Everyone has a different amount of money, everyone has a different feeling on how much of that money they spend, and everyone has their own feeling of value.

I like springing for concierge/club level at hotels IF the amount matches what my family will get out of it. I value that with money; if there is bottled water I like and I can take enough of it with me. Food I can eat. Wine or beer. Cookies. AND if I'll be there for it. So I'll go club level at universal if the price+convenience is better than me just running to the store and getting my own wine and cookies, AND if we can commit to being in the lounge for those things. A short-hour winter visit is more likely for club than a long-park-hours summer trip, because I'll want to be in the lounge earlier.

The OP's ponderings about paying that money but not being there match mine. It's a reason being upgraded to something fabulous isn't my fave. We've been upgraded to suites at paradise pier hotel at Disneyland a couple times, and emotionally it bugs me. I feel like I should be hanging out in the giant room, rather than going to the parks. And that's a FREE upgrade! If I had paid for it it would be worse.

And even inside of my family there are different ways of valuing these things. My husband finds value in club level even when he doesn't get much "for the money". He doesn't drink and he has more dietary restrictions than I do. But he finds value in the lounge and in just having that option. He LOVED the upgrades we have gotten at PPH, even if he's only there to sleep.

So his enjoyment of those things factors into my working out the value of club etc for any trip I plan for us. Doesn't always win, but it's factored into it.

And having these thoughts doesn't mean we're judging each other. Just means we have different thoughts. :)

I think there are a lot of factors and different strokes for different folks. They didn't have the value and moderate resorts when we first started going to WDW, heck they didn't have the Epcot resorts back then. So, if you wanted to stay on site, you stayed at a monorail resort or what is now Shades of Green. That was what we got used to, were we rich? No, I was a secretary and a single mother and my ex didn't pay child support. We would go every other year so I had two years to save. Did it take sacrifice and commitment to save? Yes, we did take a long weekend vacation to the beach in the off year and would stay in a less than 5 star motel, but we also spent a lot of time in the park with PB&J sandwiches, which frankly are some of my son's fondest memories. After they opened the moderate and value resorts, my circumstances had changed, I could afford to continue to go to the deluxe resorts and still do. I've stayed at a couple of the value resorts during split stays just to see what they were like and they just aren't my cup of tea. I now do split stays most of my trips with the first two nights in a moderate and the rest at an Epcot resort (which includes the Swan/Dolphin if I can get a better price). We aren't in the parks from open to close but do spend the majority of our day there, almost all our meals are eaten at the parks. We might go back to our room for a few hours in the afternoon to spend time by the pool or at the bar or a combination of both but we almost always head back to a park at night. I'm at an age now and have planned well enough that I don't have to choose, I can stay at a Disney deluxe or a 4 or 5 star hotel somewhere else as well, so I do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter