• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Not a rope dropper - use Touring Plans, cheat sheets or none?

Mikie

DIS Veteran
It's unlikely that my extended family group will be rope droppers except *maybe* once or twice if I'm lucky. We're going in October and expect "moderate" crowds. I'm wondering if touring plans can (or should?) be used if you don't arrive for RD, or if EasyWDW cheat sheets can be used after RD, or if I should simply list out our "must see" attractions, study up a bit on their typical wait times throughout the day and use Lines app as we tour to keep picking our next attraction.

BTW we've got Multi-generations, have ADRs for 1 TS per day, 1-2 full days per park, during our stay our park days will end at 5p (AK) 7p or 9 pm generally, and we can stand to not "see everything" although we don't want to see nothing! ;)

Suggestions?

It's unlikely that my extended family group will be rope droppers except *maybe* once or twice if I'm lucky. We're going in October and expect "moderate" crowds. I'm wondering if touring plans can (or should?) be used if you don't arrive for RD, or if EasyWDW cheat sheets can be used after RD, or if I should simply list out our "must see" attractions, study up a bit on their typical wait times throughout the day and use Lines app as we tour to keep picking our next attraction.

BTW we've got Multi-generations, have ADRs for 1 TS per day, 1-2 full days per park, during our stay our park days will end at 5p (AK) 7p or 9 pm generally, and we can stand to not "see everything" although we don't want to see nothing! ;)

Suggestions?

The touring plans and cheat sheets will only work if you can be at the park at the time they call for. Going later than their start time will throw everything off.
I believe easywdw does have a "typical" wait times chart that shows the wait times for every attraction throughout the day. That might help you in customizing your own plan.
If you have the money, RideMax might be able to give you a plan that would work, but you still need your start time, so if there's a chance your group won't make a scheduled start no matter what time of morning it is, I'd skip it.

Touringplans.com can customize your plan with your arrival time. It takes some time, but you can even input your FP+ times and the website will construct your plan around that.

Touring plans also has a chart that shows estimated wait times for rides at set intervals for the day in question, based on the crowd level estimate. I had never seen it before and used it this time to decide how to make our way around the park. Pretty spot on. Only used it for MK though, the other parks don't have as many attractions, so pretty easy to plan what we would do. But we do RD as well, wouldn't have it any other way...

We used to go in October, usually the last week. It has been getting busier. Be sure to go to the MNSSHP. We do that but forgo the trick or treating and character meets - we went crazy in Frontierland and Adventureland with the rides, and then watched the parade (awesome parade, and I don't normally like parades) and Hallowishes. It costs extra, but it was worth it for us. Tomorrowland might be as good during the party, but we did not head that way. Fantasyland was crazy, might be better now there is more to it, but PP and Mine Train will be popular.

Thanks for the help! I know RD is the best strategy for seeing the most stuff, but even those who arrive later want to do the best they can, relative to using NO plan at all. Most of the family is not interested in feeling so "scheduled" especially so far out, but I've got to plan as best I can if I want us all to still be speaking at the next family Christmas! ;). Despite some temptation, I can't just say "I'm doing RD, sayonara suckers!" :cool1:

Thanks for the help! I know RD is the best strategy for seeing the most stuff, but even those who arrive later want to do the best they can, relative to using NO plan at all. Most of the family is not interested in feeling so "scheduled" especially so far out, but I've got to plan as best I can if I want us all to still be speaking at the next family Christmas! ;). Despite some temptation, I can't just say "I'm doing RD, sayonara suckers!" :cool1:

I just got back and I used both. Some days my family was up early enough that we got to the parks not at RD but a few minutes after and were able to follow EasyWDW cheat sheets and ride everything and more. A couple of other days I had to use TP and that same day changed the time of my arrival and hit optimize and it showed me what to do but it did say that i might not have time to do this or that so sure you can get there later but depending on park hours and how late you are staying at the parks you might not be able to do it all. Hope this helps.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter