No discount on gift cards when buying at Target for "self dining plan"

We have also bought Target GC thru discount gift card sellers and flipped them around to buy Disney GC from Target, saving an average of 9%. I was heart broken when I tried to buy $200 in GC today and there was no discount when I checked out. I will continue to buy thru Target until they stop allowing me to buy them with gift cards because I can still save some by purchasing discounted gift cards. I will be on the lookout for alternatives though!!!

In the past 3 months I have used multiple methods and websites and have saved 32% on our gift cards so far....Target you will not stop me from achieving a deeply discounted Disney vacation!
I'm very interested to know how you came about ending up with about 32% off on Disney gift cards? That is incredible!! I've been successful in getting discounted Target gift cards and then buying disney cards w my red card set up as default payment, but using the target gc's to pay. With that I yielded about 14%. Please share your tricks! ! :)

Is this an online thing. I have always been told in the store, even before they stopped allowing the extra 5% from prescription rewards, that you couldn't use a gift card to buy a gift card. I actually had a target employee on the phone tell me it's considered money laundering. ( I felt insulted by that). I was trying to buy a Disney gift card online with a Target gift card I had earned on mycokerewards.

Is this an online thing. I have always been told in the store, even before they stopped allowing the extra 5% from prescription rewards, that you couldn't use a gift card to buy a gift card. I actually had a target employee on the phone tell me it's considered money laundering. ( I felt insulted by that). I was trying to buy a Disney gift card online with a Target gift card I had earned on mycokerewards.

It's an in-store thing. Just have them try it.

Disney cards aren't "gift" cards. They are "entertainment" cards. THAT is why it works with Disney cards (and ONLY Disney cards). Just have 'em run it.

Hey Yooperfan - I can only speak from my experience here, but I did mine all online. Ordered the discounted Target cards from raise.com, made sure that my default payment in my Target account was my red card, but used the gift cards to buy the Disney cards. My experience was that each transaction had a limit of 4 $50 cards and 3 $100 cards. Since I needed about $2500 worth (was paying off my Disney vacation balance at the 45 day mark) so I had to do it in several transactions, but had ZERO issues doing this. I just did this about a week ago, so it is current info. I will say that it seems that the discounted Target cards are getting harder to come by, but if you have plenty of time and you check frequently, you should be able to find them. As a side note, I also used this process to order some Starbucks cards through Target, also with no issue. Hope this helps!

Thanks. I'll have to figure out how to set Target to card default and try again.

I'm very interested to know how you came about ending up with about 32% off on Disney gift cards? That is incredible!! I've been successful in getting discounted Target gift cards and then buying disney cards w my red card set up as default payment, but using the target gc's to pay. With that I yielded about 14%. Please share your tricks! ! :)

I am certainly happy to share with you my process...please shoot me your email and I will send it to you.

So excited for our Christmas Vacation!!! Just paid off a $9000 trip for Christmas. Paid completely by discounted GC purchased from Target with Target gift cards. Of course I never paid full price for the Target gift cards either!! Our savings for the year because we paid for the Target GC out of pocket the last $4000 instead of earning it thru various methods was 20.80% or $2138.25 off of $10275!! Not to mention that is $180 in GC coming to me from our Disney Vacation Account.

I don't have time to read through comments...but the reason you can buy Disney gift cards with the 5% Red Card discount is because they are deemed "entertainment cards" and not "dining cards" or "retail cards"...And it's just best to buy them online so you don't have to deal with any mistaken employees in the store.

I am certainly happy to share with you my process...please shoot me your email and I will send it to you.
I would appreciate knowing as well! I'll send you a PM.

I've read the entire Disney Gift Card thread over on the Budget Board, but it would be nice to hear someone's personal experience/method!

So excited for our Christmas Vacation!!! Just paid off a $9000 trip for Christmas. Paid completely by discounted GC purchased from Target with Target gift cards. Of course I never paid full price for the Target gift cards either!! Our savings for the year because we paid for the Target GC out of pocket the last $4000 instead of earning it thru various methods was 20.80% or $2138.25 off of $10275!! Not to mention that is $180 in GC coming to me from our Disney Vacation Account.

Wow - truly amazing! If you don't mind forwarding your tips, my email is awharton@aswec.com.

We will be there in December as well. :)

Please share that fantastic strategy with me at jodilowery@yahoo.com
Can you please share that awesome strategy with me at jodilowery@yahoo.com?

If you read the Disney Gift Card Deals thread on the Budget Board, you will probably find the a lot of methods to save on Disney GCs and you won't need to wait for an email. Start on page 530, because it's long and there's outdated info near the beginning of the thread. I've been able to take the Target GCs and other rewards that I've gotten and I've tripled their value in 3 months using some of the methods described in that thread.

As a Canadian, do you know if I can purchase a Red Card? They closed all of the Targets in Canada over a year ago, but they never did carry the Disney gift cards in store as far as I could tell.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter