No discount on gift cards when buying at Target for "self dining plan"

Mikie

DIS Veteran
I'll post this on the budget board as well, but it was on the dining plan boards where I've seen this recommendation a lot. People suggest buying Disney gift cards at Target in order to get the 5% red card discount and "make your own prepaid dining plan" by stocking up ahead of your trip and freeing yoursrlf from the limitations of the actual DDP.

Well, I was buying gift cards for another purpose and the customer service gal noticed I was jumping through hoops to buy with my red card then going to get reimbursed by the school organization I was buying for and she told me that you don't get the 5% on gift cards.

I had always bought mine for Disney along with other purchases, so I didn't notice how the totals worked out. But, sure enough, if you only buy gift cards, it's easy to see that they are not discounted. When I went back to look at the only receipt I still have with a combined purchase I recalculated and the discount was on items only, not the gift cards.

Just sharing so anyone who makes a point to buy at Target like I did, thinking you're saving, it's not the case. (Oops!) I have heard others say that Costco and maybe Sam's sell a $50 card for $47.50 or something, so that's still worth looking into.

You do get the Redcard discount on Disney gift cards! :) I just got a Redcard last month for that purpose and have gotten the discount no problem (had issues with the Prepaid Redcard, though). I believe you only get the 5% discount on certain gift cards, but Disney is one of them. And if you buy the Disney gift cards from Target.com instead of in store, you can pay with discounted Target gift cards to get extra money off (I used cardpool and bought Target cards at 4% off). You enter your Redcard as the default payment, then choose "pay with a Target gift card." You can see below that the discount does work:

2ljp9w9.png

Well, that is really awesome! Thanks for the correction. When I asked the customer service person, I didn't specify what kind of gift cards and she told me a blanket "no". Today I happened to be buying Target cards and restaurant cards. No discount on either. I also didn't specify credit card vs debit card - do you mind saying whether yours is debit or credit?

You do get the Redcard discount on Disney gift cards! :) I just got a Redcard last month for that purpose and have gotten the discount no problem (had issues with the Prepaid Redcard, though). I believe you only get the 5% discount on certain gift cards, but Disney is one of them. And if you buy the Disney gift cards from Target.com instead of in store, you can pay with discounted Target gift cards to get extra money off (I used cardpool and bought Target cards at 4% off). You enter your Redcard as the default payment, then choose "pay with a Target gift card." You can see below that the discount does work:

2ljp9w9.png

Well, that is really awesome! Thanks for the correction. When I asked the customer service person, I didn't specify what kind of gift cards and she told me a blanket "no". Today I happened to be buying Target cards and restaurant cards. No discount on either. I also didn't specify credit card vs debit card - do you mind saying whether yours is debit or credit?
Sure, I have the credit card. I've seen people say that the Disney cards are classified as entertainment cards, so they are treated differently by Target's system than most other gift cards. Hope it works out for you!

I will tell you that you do in fact get the 5% RedCard discount. Here is another interesting fact that I discovered, my daughter works at Target and let me use her employee discount card when I bought mine recently, she gets 10% employee discount. So I though fantastic I could get some combo of the two discounts, but alas the employee discount does NOT give the discount on Disney gift cards for some reason. Pretty wierd employee discounts on Disney gift cards is no, and RedCard 5% discount is yes. Just my $.02 on my experience this week purchasing 5 - $50 ea Disney Gift Cards($250 total)....

I used my Target REDcard debit card to buy gift cards to pay for all but about $500 of my upcoming trip. I absolutely got 5% off every single card I bought, otherwise I wouldn't have wasted my time chasing them down, since my local Target never has Disney cards.

I have never tried in the stores, but I have bought thousands of dollars worth of Disney Gift Cards at target.com using target gift cards and gotten the 5% off because I had my red card on file.

Unfortunately, Target.com doesn't seem to be giving the 5% Red Card discount for online purchases of any gift cards. I discovered this last Friday. Just checked again today and still no 5% discount. It still seems to be working in the stores though.

We have also bought Target GC thru discount gift card sellers and flipped them around to buy Disney GC from Target, saving an average of 9%. I was heart broken when I tried to buy $200 in GC today and there was no discount when I checked out. I will continue to buy thru Target until they stop allowing me to buy them with gift cards because I can still save some by purchasing discounted gift cards. I will be on the lookout for alternatives though!!!

In the past 3 months I have used multiple methods and websites and have saved 32% on our gift cards so far....Target you will not stop me from achieving a deeply discounted Disney vacation!

We have also bought Target GC thru discount gift card sellers and flipped them around to buy Disney GC from Target, saving an average of 9%. I was heart broken when I tried to buy $200 in GC today and there was no discount when I checked out. I will continue to buy thru Target until they stop allowing me to buy them with gift cards because I can still save some by purchasing discounted gift cards. I will be on the lookout for alternatives though!!!

In the past 3 months I have used multiple methods and websites and have saved 32% on our gift cards so far....Target you will not stop me from achieving a deeply discounted Disney vacation!

32% savings is amazing! I'm currently at 20.8% savings on $2,125 in gift cards purchased over the past six months. Target may have temporarily derailed my plans, but since we don't have a trip planned for another two years, I'm hoping I have time for find alternate methods for acquiring discount Disney gift cards.

Can someone thats done it in store help me out and explain this. I have some target gift cards on my account. now if i go into the store, and use my red card how can i use it with the gift card also.

I had this problem when i went to the store and even the manager kept saying , this will not get the 5% off, so when it went through after i told him several times he was shocked, but when i went to pay with my gc it removed the 5% off and i pad the full 50.00 dollars. Can anyone tell me what i need to say or do for them to understand?

Can someone thats done it in store help me out and explain this. I have some target gift cards on my account. now if i go into the store, and use my red card how can i use it with the gift card also.

I had this problem when i went to the store and even the manager kept saying , this will not get the 5% off, so when it went through after i told him several times he was shocked, but when i went to pay with my gc it removed the 5% off and i pad the full 50.00 dollars. Can anyone tell me what i need to say or do for them to understand?
You can't do it in store, you can only get the 5% off from the Redcard. And as far as online, it's up in the air right now. You used to be able to get the Redcard discount as long as it was your default payment method, even if you then paid with Target gift cards. But ever since the Disney gift cards went out of stock last week, the 5% discount hasn't been working online, at all, even if you're just paying with the Redcard. We don't know if that's temporary or not, but since stacking the discounted gift cards with the Redcard discount was probably not intentional on Target's part, it may be the end of that method.

You won't be able to get the 5% off in the store if you pay with gift cards. That was something that used to work online if you had the Red Card as your default payment method and then edited your payment method to pay with gift cards before finalizing your order. They seem to have closed that loophole. You can use Target gift cards (ideally purchased elsewhere at a discount) to buy Disney gift cards in the store but no further discount would be given.

Not sure if this means anything at all, I went to the Target site again tonight and tried adding a GC and got this.
disb.png

I just tried to buy at Target and got a message that the maximum quantity was already in my cart...but my cart is empty! Not cool Target, not cool!!!

32% savings is amazing! I'm currently at 20.8% savings on $2,125 in gift cards purchased over the past six months. Target may have temporarily derailed my plans, but since we don't have a trip planned for another two years, I'm hoping I have time for find alternate methods for acquiring discount Disney gift cards.
I have worked diligently and used every free money method I could find! It just takes a few "mouse" clicks to save for The Mouse!!

Has anyone purchased a Disney GC from Sams Club with a Sams or Walmart Gift Card? I tried and the transaction went through but when I checked my order status today it said all orders had been cancelled. I called Sams customer service and was told that they had no idea why they cancelled and they would have to request an investigation that would take a few days.

Has anyone purchased a Disney GC from Sams Club with a Sams or Walmart Gift Card? I tried and the transaction went through but when I checked my order status today it said all orders had been cancelled. I called Sams customer service and was told that they had no idea why they cancelled and they would have to request an investigation that would take a few days.
I have been. If you buy the $150 one its not a straight 5% its more 4.7%. Yeah I have had no trouble buying them. Ive bought 4 $150 packs so far not a issue. Maybe ur not putting in ur card info or billing info right. if the billing info does not match the card info addresses then it sometimes doesnt go through (to prevent fraud or stolen credit cards being used by someone and they dont know the card info)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter