News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I (or my family for that matter) have any issues with the food at lunch. I have eaten there for dinner and although the food was good, I felt there was some room for improvement.

My real issue was with the dining experience. We ate in the room off of the main dining room with all of the paintings and the revolving Belle and Beast. I felt like we were placed in an area where they were keeping food carts, kind of like a warehouse feeling. Also, people were constantly coming in a taking photos of the revolving characters in the center of the room. Personally, it gave off a feeling of being forces somewhere because they were running out of room. If they are moving to make this a signature dining location for dinner service, aside from renovating the kitchen, they need to keep all dining rooms in immaculate condition, and not treat the East Wing(?) like a warehouse. It ruined the ambiance of what could have been a nice meal.

I've always been happy with the food there, but I wouldn't be at signature prices. Especially the desserts.
And I think the room you're talking about was not originally meant to be in use during dinner, but is more of an overflow room. I avoid eating in there just because it's not from the movie. It would've been great if they had the ballroom, west wing, and library as dining rooms, but instead one is a made up addition.

I'd prefer the make just about any other restaurant into a signature. The theming of BoG is something I think everyone should get a chance to see and experience without shelling out $300 for a family of 4 to eat there. It's popular for it's theming, not the food. I wish Disney would make more dining experiences like this. *Cough* A real Pizza Planet *Cough*
I agree with this. Most of the time people don't go to BoG for the food, they go for the experience.

Wouldn't it be wonderful (groan) if they actually brought one of the original pavilions back to life in an updated less puke inducing (looking at you Body Wars) experience? The Odyssey could be the festival centers; or they could put them in the upstairs of Imagination - with a working rainbow hallway of course.

A woman can dream, right?

They could even combine it by keeping some of the festival stuff there but bringing back even a few of the attractions - I mean, food and beverages are a "festival of life", no?

You could re-purpose Cranium Command for Inside Out if they need to have IP in there

I (or my family for that matter) have any issues with the food at lunch. I have eaten there for dinner and although the food was good, I felt there was some room for improvement.

My real issue was with the dining experience. We ate in the room off of the main dining room with all of the paintings and the revolving Belle and Beast. I felt like we were placed in an area where they were keeping food carts, kind of like a warehouse feeling. Also, people were constantly coming in a taking photos of the revolving characters in the center of the room. Personally, it gave off a feeling of being forces somewhere because they were running out of room. If they are moving to make this a signature dining location for dinner service, aside from renovating the kitchen, they need to keep all dining rooms in immaculate condition, and not treat the East Wing(?) like a warehouse. It ruined the ambiance of what could have been a nice meal.

I actually like the QS lunch option..,we usually get an entree each, one gets a dessert one gets a side, then we split everything.

Part of the fun, as others have mentioned, is the atmosphere... upon entering, guests are ENCOURAGED to visit the other dining rooms while waiting for their food - and after having just watched the original movie again when it was on TV last week, I am amazed at how much of the castle was reproduced in this dining experience... so, I agree that EVERYONE SHOULD be able to stroll around and see it all...

BUT

The fact is, like you stated above, other people are trying to enjoy their meal... and at a QS venue, I wouldn't have any expectation of a nice quiet sit down meal... TS Dinner is another story.

And, again, each of the 4 or 5 times I have eaten there for dinner, i was very much underwhelmed...one time, having to send my steak back as inedible due to the large vein of gristle running the entire length. I think the dessert choices are also poor - how many ways can you try to make a cupcake different? It's a cupcake no matter how you frost it.

Current food at dinner is barely TS quality, in my opinion. Trying to pull off Signature status without major menu and seating re-work just wouldn't be feasible.

As it is, I don't plan to book dinner again anytime soon...QS Lunch and Breakfast is fine, though.

I enjoyed QS lunch at BOG. I thought the French Onion Soup was a decent version of French Onion Soup, and the baguette was a decent sandwich. Of our varied party of 7, we all enjoyed whatever we ordered, though I think CHH was still the preferred QS in MK. Now the food comparison is all in the frame of reference of QS food at Disney compared to restaurant food outside Disney, not actually French Onion Soup compared to some of the very best restaurants I've had it in. But for a cool December day, it was nice.

The ambiance is very cool so long as part of the fun is visiting all 3 rooms which is fine for a QS. It was very noisy of course, and the flashes and everything else were definitely an ambiance killer, but for QS I didn't mind.

I would never book a TS dinner given the current food options and the ambiance. It just wouldn't be my thing.

To make that a signature service I agree with the others that say it needs major work. But I would go back for a QS lunch, especially on a cool day when the soup is appealing.

I agree with this. Most of the time people don't go to BoG for the food, they go for the experience.
True... we do go to BOG once every few trips for the vibe -- definitely NOT for the food. We'd go once or twice per trip if the food was better. Wish it wasn't one or the other. Maybe they could keep it a "regular" restaurant for lunch and TRUE signature for dinner??

At the other parks, I don't care -- we mix in Tusker House with Tiffins... Sci-Fi with Brown Derby... but at MK there is NO signature option. That's why I'd like to see BOG converted -- at least for dinner. I get that people can go to the monorail resorts for signature but I'd still like one in the park.

I have to say that "The Rock" in this makes it sound awful to me. Skip.
I was pleasantly surprised by his performance in "Jumanji". After Robin Williams' in the original, maybe I didn't think Johnson could live up to the hype. But, he did. I'd go see Jungle Cruise with him in it. I'm hoping for a good story line. That will make-or-break the film.

I'm looking at you, "Haunted Mansion":rolleyes1

As long as it's an action comedy and has a decent script that plays to his strengths as a goofy, loveable, strong guy, it could be pretty good. I'm not sure I'd give him much range in his acting, but he does a good job with roles inside his capabilities. I'm not looking for Oscars here, but some popcorn and a night in the living room with the kids laughing sounds possible.

And yes, the script has to be better than Haunted Mansion. That was a sad mess.

I think the big problem is that how do you say the place is worthy for a $15 lunch or a $50 dinner. I really, really hope they don't go the route of most restaurants, and make the lunch as overpriced as the dinner. (Disney has priced me out of a lot of dining, there's select restaurants we enjoy - but a lot of them I just don't appreciate paying $45 for a mediocre food just so I can meet 4 characters.I also don't want to pay $50 just to go into this restaurant.)

I thought the new Jumani was wonderful. Hopefully if they can keep the right tone of action/comedy he can work. Not such a big fan that I go out of my way to see his movies, but he can be fun certain roles.

Now Emily Blunt is just wonderful in everything. (Even in the god-awful Into The Woods movie - which once her character left the film completely lost my interest.) She is the ONLY reason I have for thinking potentially Mary Poppins Returns won't be completely terrible. (Even Lin Manuel Miranda can't do that - and he's pretty great too.) So, yeah, Emily Blunt makes me want to see this.

I think the big problem is that how do you say the place is worthy for a $15 lunch or a $50 dinner. I really, really hope they don't go the route of most restaurants, and make the lunch as overpriced as the dinner. (Disney has priced me out of a lot of dining, there's select restaurants we enjoy - but a lot of them I just don't appreciate paying $45 for a mediocre food just so I can meet 4 characters.I also don't want to pay $50 just to go into this restaurant.)

It's not that hard to do. This goes back 10 years from the last time I was there, and probably close to 25 years from the first, but there was a little old fishing camp in the keys called Rainbow Bend just north of Marathon. It's kind of a dumpy place and attached to the hotel is kind of a dumpy restaurant on the second floor of registration with some wonderful windows and an indoor/outdoor deck seating arrangement. At breakfast it served very... well typically crappy... fishing camp food for cheap. Runny eggs, weak coffee, crunchy pancakes and so on. But at dinner...

Well at dinner, people used to be limo'd from Miami to come eat there. Reservations were taken months in advance. The chef was a superb older man and his son who had retired from the restaurant business in NYC and wanted to do his dinner service only by where he chose to semi-retire. It was the best French Onion Soup, perfect steaks, a to die for Chateaubriand for two... the food was amazing. And at night, with the sun setting in the background or even the stars over the Florida Bay, those windows in that dumpy restaurant and that amazing deck made for an incredible place to enjoy the food. Sure you were sitting on mismatched chairs and the lines covered the crappiest old tables you can imagine, but it didn't matter because it was amazing.

I took my wife there when we got engaged, the restaurant, not the fishing camp. It was my last time there since we have since left FL and never been back to the Keys, and by then the father had retired, the son ran the place, and the shine had worn off and stopped many people from coming so far just to eat, but the locals and the hotel maître d's still filled the place telling people where to get the best dinner around. It was still amazing and I remembered why my Dad and I used to visit Rainbow Bend almost annually when I was in h.s. and college, but we went there because we could eat at that restaurant twice every trip.

So how does Disney do something similar with one venue? With food and by tweaking the atmosphere. Lunch can be more or less how it is. But come dinner, that menu needs to step up massively and the environment needs to change. Assigned seating, no wandering, no flash photography, fewer people so the volume drops. Smaller tables so it doesn't feel like communal feeding. Appropriate costumes for staff and actual ordering at tables, not computers on the way in. They can do it, just like Rainbow Bend made it happen, but they have to want to make that dinner worth $50 and not just stand on the building itself.

yeah, that seems to be a big topic of late - actually was a Vox Populi article on it posted today: http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-...-restaurant-going-to-become-signature-dining/

I certainly can understand the motivation - be like how they responded to the popularity of Le Cellier by making it 2 dining credits, and, like is in what you quoted, takes away from people just ordering dessert (though you could still do a 1 credit pre-fix, they do it at Akershus for example)

I am a bit torn though as now you would have 2 (of a fairly limited number) of TS in MK being 2 credits - and both that are more aimed at families/kids. At the same time, if they made it a true signature experience with quality of food to match, I would be interested (I would not pay 2 credits, or for me the $ equivalent, for what it is now)

I see the same path followed with LC.... call it a SIG for Crowd Control. Food won't really change, and we'll get our THIRD "Fake SIG".
Saddened - people catch on quickly, and this simply damages the label of "Signature Dining" for all of the REAL Sigs....

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter