News Round Up 2017

I'm sure there is some sort of science to the room types they continue to put out for DVC. If you can limit the smaller point purchases, you might be able to bait someone to borrow points, or otherwise splurge to fill the larger units.

I'd be curious to see what the average points ownership is per DVC owner vs average contract size. Basically, how many people who have bought a DVC contract have bought a second one?

I don't want to completely hijack the news thread - but as a quick tutorial as to how DVC works and why studios will be hard to get - I'm gonna post this anyways:

So, people buy into DVC buy in with the intent on renting a certain size room. Some buy only enough points for a week in a studio (Let's call it 150 points.) While other buy enough for a week in a 2-bedroom. (Let's call it 450 points.)

At $176 a point - that one week in a studio costs $26,400 for a buy-in, while the 2-bedroom costs $79,200. How many buyers are going to be able to afford that two-bedroom buy-in?

So, let's say you have 4 new customers coming in to buy DVC. Three of them buy 150 points with the intention of staying in a studio. One of them buys 450 points with the intention of staying in a 2-bedroom. So Disney has sold 4 contracts worth 900 points or 225 pts per contract - and of those 900 points, half of them (150 x 3 people = 450 ) are bought by people wanting to stay at a studio. This is a simplification - but I DO know that the AVERAGE new contract at the Poly is about 150 points - some of that is smaller 50 pt contracts offsetting large contracts, but still I think the assumption here is reasonable, that somewhere around 50% of the points sold will be for people looking at studios or maybe 1-bedrooms.

Now you look at the amount of studios available for the property - and only 11% of the property is available as studios. But 50 % of the points you sold are to buyers that are looking for studios. So that means for every studio available, you have 5 owners that want to rent that studio - and at more popular times of year, that might be 10 or 20 owners for each studio.

This exact same thing happened at VGF only a few years ago. Owners there find it impossible to get a studio because people snatch them up at 11 months. And VGF has 16% of the property (roughly) that is studios. CCV will only be 11 % studios because of all the cabins - so it will be even worse.

The result in addition is a cascade effect...CCV owners that can't get in at their home resort will now be looking elsewhere for their studios - making studios harder to get everywhere. I assumed that DVC learned the lesson of VGF was partly why they made everything studios at the Poly...but it appears they did NOT.

Thank you - and I definitely didn't mean to hijack the thread. I may have misinterpreted your original comment. I fully get that studios in general will be very hard to get since, as you say that is the lowest points thus the lowest buy-in so more people with "enough" points to get a studio but not that many studios - the whole supply/demand thing

I thought you were implying that it would be harder for owners there to get studios there than it would be for those that own elsewhere to get the studios (that by owning there you were at a disadvantage compared to others - that aspect I didn't get) - but I think that was a wrong interpretation on my part

Sorry to continue DVC talk, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of dissatisfaction with DVC. I agree that there seems to be a studio shortage, and this will continue the problem, but when would a pushback start? They keep throwing up DVC's, keep selling them out, but there seems to be this underlying problem. Is there growing dissatisfaction out there? Or are people just adjusting? I'm not sure I would be content with adjusting after laying down $25k.

Sorry to continue DVC talk, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of dissatisfaction with DVC. I agree that there seems to be a studio shortage, and this will continue the problem, but when would a pushback start? They keep throwing up DVC's, keep selling them out, but there seems to be this underlying problem. Is there growing dissatisfaction out there? Or are people just adjusting? I'm not sure I would be content with adjusting after laying down $25k.
This may be a perception/selective issue. The majority of DVC owners did not pay what they're selling it for now, so there's no complaints. I actually can sell my contact and only lose dues and maybe $1K of what I paid, so I'm perfectly happy. No interest at all in CCV though.

I thought you were implying that it would be harder for owners there to get studios there than it would be for those that own elsewhere to get the studios (that by owning there you were at a disadvantage compared to others - that aspect I didn't get) - but I think that was a wrong interpretation on my part

No - I definitely didn't mean that. Non-owners at CCV will NEVER get a studio. (Again - VGF is the comparison - very hard for a non-owner to get a studio there.) What I was saying is that even owners will struggle sometimes to get a studio.

Honestly, I don't think there is a lot of dissatisfaction, but the biggest complaints I've seen have been from owners at VGF not being able to get a studio at their home resort, even right at the 11-month window. Otherwise, I don't think new buyers are really complaining about the prices, even though the prices have nearly doubled in the last 10 years.

I just was trying to bring it to people's attention, because if you spend that kind of money and can't get your home resort, you likely won't be real happy about it. (We still really don't know how many studios/1-bedrooms/2-bedrooms there will actually be - just projections based on a single floor. DVC may well decide to do an entire floor of studios and then this will be a non-issue.

I will say this - over on the DVC boards there was a LOT of owners who were excited to pick up points at the Poly when it opened. I do not see the same thing happening with CCV. (Not surprising.)

News

First review of the new Jimmy Fallon ride. It has spoilers but the just is great queue with a meh ride.

http://orlparkpass.com/2017/03/review-race-through-new-york-starring-jimmy-fallon/

Yep, sounds like Kong all over again. No surprise that it was another simulator. It's a shame that it was reviewed as dissapointing. And Fast and Furious will probably involve a lot of screens as well... Did I just bring up Fast and Furious twice in the last couple of posts?

Video

Dead Men Tell No Tales trailer

I think this movie looks exhausting, but it could just be me reliving the trauma from watching At World's End in theaters and having no idea what was going on.

EDIT: I can, however, listen to an infinite variations of "He's a Pirate" no problem.

I think this movie looks exhausting, but it could just be me reliving the trauma from watching At World's End in theaters and having no idea what was going on.

At least I wasn't the only one. I thought that movie was about to end like 3 or 4 different times, and it just kept spinning off into oblivion.

Still not sure what it was about. Besides pirates.

Looks exciting. Interesting that they are announcing this as the final adventure... Then again, the Fast and Furious films have been doing that for the last 3 movies.
Am I the only one that thought they announced this as the last film already? Or was it the last johnny depp pirates film?

At least I wasn't the only one. I thought that movie was about to end like 3 or 4 different times, and it just kept spinning off into oblivion.

Still not sure what it was about. Besides pirates.

I remember very few things about the film. I remember a girl with bad teeth, I remember white sand, I remember two people trying to get married while swinging from one ship to another, and I remember two ships stuck in a whirlpool or something.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Am I the only one that thought they announced this as the last film already? Or was it the last johnny depp pirates film?

Not sure. I think this is the first time I hear about it. Who knows. If this one becomes a big hit perhaps they'll consider a spin off. It's true that Depp's image is a bit damaged and tired at the moment.

I remember very few things about the film. I remember a girl with bad teeth, I remember white sand, I remember two people trying to get married while swinging from one ship to another, and I remember two ships stuck in a whirlpool or something.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think you just summarized the trailer for that movie :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter