New Seating Arrangements at Counter Service

I have to say this whole thing is odd to me. If I'm at the mall and the food court area is full life goes on an we go sit and eat on a bench somewhere. Cournter service is like take out food what if I want to get my food from say Cosmic Ray's but I intend to go sit eles where to eat it maybe waiting for a parade to start? I would expect there are going to be days when it is easier than others to find seating. Now with a quick service dinning plan that is only going to increase I would think. Just a thought....

Well then I will say again if that does happen then maybe WDW should enforce this policy 365 days a year, because I am willing to bet when it's not enforced there will still be guests who have others in their group save tables.

If there is no problem then there is no problem if you know what I mean. If there are open tables and people can get a seat then who cares?

Wow. I am amazed that this thread is still going. And that there are so many heated opinions on both sides.

It is normal human behavior to try and save a table if you can in a crowded self seating restaurant. Does everyone not do the same all the time when at McDonald's or a Mall food court in the same circumstance?

It is also normal human behavior to be upset when you just got your food and cannot find a place to sit. Especially at those who you view as "not worthy" of the seat cause they are not eating.

Remember everyone, that the problem is not people's inappropriate behavior. It is a lack of seats. Too many people in too small a space.

We all should relax and "put ourselves in others shoes".

Okay, my two cents.

First of all the article says they are TESTING the idea. Naturally, if it doesn't work and they have too many angry guests, the test will be discontinued and/or not used at other restaurants.

IF IT DOES WORK, however, it should make for a much more pleasant experience for the MAJORITY of the guests.

... testing, if it works we implement it, if it doesn't we don't!

Also, it will only be used during BUSY, THE PARK IS AT CAPACITY days. Oh yeah, whether you arrive with kids or not, all the tables will be full and then you'll wander around with all your children looking for a table while DH is in a 45 minute line!!! Oh, I don't like that scenario either!! So, if it's only done on these busy days and the "pilot program" works -- its a WIN-WIN for everyone.

Okay, my two cents.

First of all the article says they are TESTING the idea. Naturally, if it doesn't work and they have too many angry guests, the test will be discontinued and/or not used at other restaurants.

IF IT DOES WORK, however, it should make for a much more pleasant experience for the MAJORITY of the guests.

... testing, if it works we implement it, if it doesn't we don't!

Also, it will only be used during BUSY, THE PARK IS AT CAPACITY days. Oh yeah, whether you arrive with kids or not, all the tables will be full and then you'll wander around with all your children looking for a table while DH is in a 45 minute line!!! Oh, I don't like that scenario either!! So, if it's only done on these busy days and the "pilot program" works -- its a WIN-WIN for everyone.
Actually this is the second time they are testing this out because I believe it was a year ago they tried it only at Peco's Bills. However it obviously didn't work because we never saw it as a new rule at all the other locations.

Actually this is the second time they are testing this out because I believe it was a year ago they tried it only at Peco's Bills. However it obviously didn't work because we never saw it as a new rule at all the other locations.

Was this before they had the CS only plan? Was it during free dining?

However, obviously it did work because they are testing it again.

My guess, would be that it would be something they would only waste manpower hours on during busy, peak, times when it was so crowded that there are no free tables.

Was this before they had the CS only plan? Was it during free dining?

However, obviously it did work because they are testing it again.

My guess, would be that it would be something they would only waste manpower hours on during busy, peak, times when it was so crowded that there are no free tables.
I don't remember the exact specifics about the exact time they were last testing this out. All I remember is that it was to be done at Peco's Bills and that it obviously never worked when it was done.

I don't remember the exact specifics about the exact time they were last testing this out. All I remember is that it was to be done at Peco's Bills and that it obviously never worked when it was done.

Actually I am guessing it did work out at Pecos Bill's. The last test was made before offering the CS dinning plan. I suspect they ran the test as part of the decision making process for the plan. The only reason we haven't seen it since is because they haven't needed it since. We are coming up on the holiday season which means large crowds and there will be more people in the CS locations than normal (theoretically) because of the new DDP offerings.

I would be more included to say it either worked or worked enough in order for them to roll it out now. Had it failed it would have never been heard about again, at least not for a couple of years.

Actually I am guessing it did work out at Pecos Bill's. The last test was made before offering the CS dinning plan. I suspect they ran the test as part of the decision making process for the plan. The only reason we haven't seen it since is because they haven't needed it since. We are coming up on the holiday season which means large crowds and there will be more people in the CS locations than normal (theoretically) because of the new DDP offerings.

I would be more included to say it either worked or worked enough in order for them to roll it out now. Had it failed it would have never been heard about again, at least not for a couple of years.
Then how come it's still technically a test at other Magic Kingdom counter service locations and not being tested for the ones at Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom?

Then how come it's still technically a test at other Magic Kingdom counter service locations and not being tested for the ones at Epcot, Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom?

I can't think of one place in the newer parks that needs it. In fact, that is how I came to love Flame Tree barbeque. There are SO many tables managing them was never an issue.

Why would you put a program in place where it isn't needed? What makes you think is HAS to be all or nothing, and 365/24?

Why would you put a program in place where it isn't needed? What makes you think is HAS to be all or nothing, and 365/24?
Because I have feeling during the times when it's not enforced there might be the odd person who complains about someone saving a table, while someone else in their group stands in line to order. So even though during that time when the guests are not breaking this rule, others might have a different opinion about that.

I wasn't invited to the meeting so I don't know for sure but look at it the same way I would look at a Beta test. You run the first test in a more controlled and smaller environment where there are less uncontrollable variables. The coloration would be one restaurant in one park at a time that isn't busy.

If that test goes well you open the beta to a larger public and let them bombard it with less controlled data because you can only simulate so much in a test lab. The corolation would be multiple restaurants in one park.

I suspect that if CS restaurants in other parks have an overflow of guests then the policy will spread as needed. In the end I believe there will be restaurants on property that enforce the new policy and some than don't. Of those that do some will be more rigid and have a longer and/or more frequent window while others will be shorter.

The entire time this is being tweeked it will be in the Disney version of Beta...a test. It gives them the same deniability Google gets by keeping their products in Beta:

What, it doesn't work properly? Well of course not, it is just a Beta.
What, you don't like the policy? Well don't worry, it is only a test.

If the beta can't support deployment it will be stopped...<sarcasm>unless you are Microsoft, then you will call it Vista</sarcasm>.

It will also not be enforced 365 days a year at all restaurants (or any for that matter during non peak) because traffic doesn't have to be managed the same during peak and non-peak hours.

I am just curious about how they are handling disabled guests? My mother cannot physically stand in line. How do they handle this?

Thanks.

Also, I haven't read all the posts but my thinking is that all it will take is one child being scalded by someone dropping their hot coffee and this stupid system "trial" will be over and done with. Can you say "lawsuit"?

In response to disabled guests, I would assume that if someone cannot physically stand, they would be in a wheelchair or ecv, otherwise I don't see how they could feasibly handle walking the park and waiting through a ride queue. I would assume the lines are accessible for this, though I haven't traveled with anyone disabled so maybe someone can verify. If it's really a big deal, eat at off times when the lines are shorter, but I've found the cast members to be pretty quick and efficient.

I am just curious about how they are handling disabled guests? My mother cannot physically stand in line. How do they handle this?

Thanks.

I am pretty sure there will be exceptions for disabled guests. Disney is very good about accommodating people with different levels of disabilities.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter