New rule about unaccompanied kids under age of 14

I just want to get clarification on something.

Is it just 14+ to enter alone?
Some have said to enter without a "grownup"-- is a "grownup" someone who is over 14? Or an actual adult (18+)?

I knew about the "if under 7, must be accompanied by someone 14+ to ride" rule, so I was assuming it's the same for entering the parks? Now I'm not sure.

Kids 16, 11, 9-- can they go to a park by themselves or not?

I just want to get clarification on something.

Is it just 14+ to enter alone?
Some have said to enter without a "grownup"-- is a "grownup" someone who is over 14? Or an actual adult (18+)?

Kids 16, 11, 9-- can they go to a park by themselves or not?

Yes they can.

A5A9E88F-A04A-4737-98F6-99615D93859F.jpg

Thanks, that's what I thought but I just wanted to be sure.

We are planning our upcoming trip on that assumption and then I was feeling uneasy reading this thread and starting to second guess myself.

Our oldest is preparing to head to college and the kids all decided they wanted to do a Disney trip where the focus would be on some sibling bonding. We will stay in the Epcot resort area and they plan to walk or bus to the parks themselves often.

DD is often mistaken for several years older, so I didn't think they would question them anyway but just want to be clear on the policy.

Can someone possibly clarify something for me . . . We will be riding attractions with five people -- Me, DH, DD7, DD4, and DD4. If we want to ride Mine Train and we all go, can our 7 year old ride in a cart by herself? Or does someone over 14 have to be physically sitting next to her on the ride?

Can someone possibly clarify something for me . . . We will be riding attractions with five people -- Me, DH, DD7, DD4, and DD4. If we want to ride Mine Train and we all go, can our 7 year old ride in a cart by herself? Or does someone over 14 have to be physically sitting next to her on the ride?
Someone over 14 must sit with her.

Hmm. That makes things very difficult. Won't be a huge issue on this trip as our twins are only tall enough to ride 7DMT. How will we pull that off? Can we all stand in line together, DH and I ride with our twins while she waits in child swap; and then one of us ride with her?

Hmm. That makes things very difficult. Won't be a huge issue on this trip as our twins are only tall enough to ride 7DMT. How will we pull that off? Can we all stand in line together, DH and I ride with our twins while she waits in child swap; and then one of us ride with her?

There is no child swap area. Your daughter is 7 and thus can ride alone. Once a child turns 7 they can be in the parks on their own they just can't enter/exit on their own. So you all enter as a family you ride with one of the 4 year olds, DH rides with the other, and your DD7 rides on her own but know they will probably put another person in the open seat who could be an adult. There isn't a single rider line at 7DMT but they try to pair odd number groups with odd number groups.

We can't fit three in a seat on roller coasters. I'm really confused.
I was about to post yes you can but I thought you were talking about BTMR which yes you could fit three in a seat. Not sure about mine Train.

The above poster is incorrect. A 7 year old may ride alone. It is UNDER 7 has to be accompanied. Someone posed direct from the website upthread.

This is incorrect.

As wilkeliza and eeyoreandtink have posted, a 7 yr old is allowed to ride without an adult on the same seat. Younger than 7 must be accompanied by someone at least 14.

Can someone possibly clarify something for me . . . We will be riding attractions with five people -- Me, DH, DD7, DD4, and DD4. If we want to ride Mine Train and we all go, can our 7 year old ride in a cart by herself?

Yes, this will work just fine. As PP mentioned, be aware they may very well seat someone with your 7 yr old. I will likely be directly in front of one of the parents.

Enjoy your vacation!

It seems this is for entrance to the park. Is it true for all rides as well? What about resorts? I'm wondering how much freedom I'll be able to to allow my 11year old.

Before I start a firestorm.. I wouldn't consider her going to a park alone. The only ride I would consider would be one where you can see the entire ride/queue from outside the ride (i.e. teacups)... But for the resort, would they allow her to purchase something in the bakery at the boardwalk? or go to quick service by herself without me standing next to her? or will she be turned away?

I remember being her age and renting the little boats with my sister at fort wilderness with no parents around...but .... anyways.

They should also raise the age from 10 for adult prices if they are going to put restrictions like that in place...just saying.

The only restriction your child has is entering the park alone.

Thanks for the responses... sounds like she'll be able some freedom at resort/stores. and yes my comment about the ticket prices was because they aren't consider adults to enter the park until 14, that should be the age they raise the ticket price. Its not about the 20 dollars its about being consistent in your message ;-)

And yes, I went and looked at the official rules, anyone under the age of 7 needs to be accompanied by someone 14 or older to board a ride.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/

I'm sure WDW is not sending anyone a message. It's just pricing and common sense.

You should be prepared for her to have a stranger placed next to her though. They fill up every seat (odd groups are shuttled one way while even groups another so they match up in the seating process)

You'll be fine since your 7 year old can sit alone.

However, if there is a ride that is challenging to do with trading off, then let them know before you entire the line and you should be able to do childswap. We had to use child swap on Speedway. That has a higher than normal height to ride alone and my kids all wanted to be the one to steer. So, three kids with two adults meant using child swap until my eldest was tall enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter