New rule about unaccompanied kids under age of 14

DISNEYFOS

DIS Veteran
It seems this is for entrance to the park. Is it true for all rides as well? What about resorts? I'm wondering how much freedom I'll be able to to allow my 11year old.

Before I start a firestorm.. I wouldn't consider her going to a park alone. The only ride I would consider would be one where you can see the entire ride/queue from outside the ride (i.e. teacups)... But for the resort, would they allow her to purchase something in the bakery at the boardwalk? or go to quick service by herself without me standing next to her? or will she be turned away?

I remember being her age and renting the little boats with my sister at fort wilderness with no parents around...but .... anyways.

They should also raise the age from 10 for adult prices if they are going to put restrictions like that in place...just saying.

The rule about entering the park jumped from 12 to 14 at DL about 2 years ago, I can't speak to WDW - is this change new at WDW? At DL enforcement of the rule is hit or miss. Because of the proximity of VGC to a direct park entrance for CA Adventure, I have let my kids enter the park alone, ride Grizzly Rapids (just inside the park entrance from the Grand) several times on the single rider line and come back unattended. They have been doing this since they were 12 (before the rule changed). Now they continue to do it and CMs generally don't stop them, and we have APs, so the CMs know how old they are when their ticket is scanned.

Again, only speaking from my experience, and this can vary from CM to CM, they have never been denied service or not allowed to ride if they have been with friends or alone. My kids charge things all the time on the MBs (or to our room in DL) without ID. I honestly don't know what direction CMs are given from management on this issue, but I have never had a problem with my kids.

So, my long winded answer is every kid is different, can handle different levels of responsibility and every parent has to decide what is best for them and their child.

Why should they change the pricing structure? Im sorry, I'm confused on your thought process there.

I think the age is 8 to ride alone.

I thought it was just not allowing anyone under 14 to ENTER the parks without a grownup. Once they're in the parks I think they're allowed on their own.

I'd imagine she'd be fine buying something by herself (assuming you've sent up purchasing on her MB). Frankly, my guess is they're too busy working to pay attention to who is with who in a QS restaurant. And I've certainly sent my 5 year old across a restaurant to get things for me. The kids don't have to be glued to your side. :)

You know msmama, now that you say that, the minimum age of 8 does ring a bell for riding alone. I now remember being at DL in the bugs land and DD5 was asleep in her stroller and DS7 couldn't ride anything because he was too young and Mom couldn't leave DD unattended. I think you are right, once you are past the age of 8 riding alone isn't an issue.

My daughter was able to ride some rides alone last year without us. (She is 8) We didn't try on any of the more complicated queues. Pretty sure it was the teacups and the carousel maybe? I don't remember.

She was able to buy things at QS places while we were in the next line. No one said anything. She was able to buy stuff at the gift shop at the resort but we were in the store at the same time (as long as she remembered her PIN).

I don't think she would have been able to grab lunch and randomly sit down alone to eat. We never left her alone in the room or let her explore the resort alone or go to the pool alone.

For the most part we were with her. She had some room to not be holding our hand but not really venture off on her own.

We were never stopped or questioned

I see what she's saying. If they consider a child under 14 too young (aka, a child) to go to the parks alone, why are they charging them like adults? I guess cause they can?
Because by 10 the vast majority can go on any ride because they meet the height restrictions. And honestly for most tickets the difference is $20 total, not per day, so its not like they are charging you double for an adult ticket. BTW Universal also considers a 10 year old an adult for ticket purposes.

My 5 year olds paid for some meals on their bands last time we went. I assume they could also purchase items as they had charging privileges.

Thanks for the responses... sounds like she'll be able some freedom at resort/stores. and yes my comment about the ticket prices was because they aren't consider adults to enter the park until 14, that should be the age they raise the ticket price. Its not about the 20 dollars its about being consistent in your message ;-)

And yes, I went and looked at the official rules, anyone under the age of 7 needs to be accompanied by someone 14 or older to board a ride.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/

Thanks for the responses... sounds like she'll be able some freedom at resort/stores. and yes my comment about the ticket prices was because they aren't consider adults to enter the park until 14, that should be the age they raise the ticket price. Its not about the 20 dollars its about being consistent in your message ;-)

And yes, I went and looked at the official rules, anyone under the age of 7 needs to be accompanied by someone 14 or older to board a ride.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/park-rules/
I don't see how they are inconsistent with their message. Inconsistent would be on tuesday, thursdays and alternate fridays they are kids, on other days they are adults. It is also industry norm.

14 to enter the park alone. Age 7 to ride or enter attractions alone. Children under 7 must be accompanied by a person age 14 or older to access attractions. Not just rides, shows and M&G too.

Ticket prices are not what they are because someone can or can't enter the park alone. By 10 years old the vast majority of children are able to fully experience everything in the park should they choose to. that's why the price goes up for them.

Its like at the movies. You pay full price after the age of 12 in most theaters, but you can't see an R rated movie until you are 18 without an adult. You still pay full price at 13, but you need an adult to enter.

Theme parks assume that by the age of 10 you are able to ride almost all the rides and attractions so they charge you full price. They don't want a bunch of unattended pre-teens entering the parks alone, but once they enter, they can partake of all the attractions.

Rides are based on height not age. A very tall 7 year old can experience all the rides too.. Sorry I don't follow the logic.... Raise your ticket price when you reach 48 inches :rolleyes1 If you aren't allow in the park unless you are with an adult, then you shouldn't be charged as one ;-)

editing to add...I understand they don't want pre-teens entering the parks on their own. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with the rule.

I don't see how they are inconsistent with their message. Inconsistent would be on tuesday, thursdays and alternate fridays they are kids, on other days they are adults. It is also industry norm.
Not sure I would call it an industry norm? There are many different age cut-offs for child vs adult at Zoos, Aquariums, Legoland, other amusement parks, Amtrak.... Six Flags does do it by height actually.

But whatever...wasn't really the point of my post. I was just looking for experiences in the last year since they changed their policy....

Hershey park, universal, Lego land have and age cut off for kids tickets that is below 18 (9-12).
The ones that use height also are the coaster parks (big thrill rides) so it would make more sense when a child couldn't enjoy most of the park.

Disney has over 90% of it's attractions without a height restriction. So a child could enjoy the vast majority of the park regardless of his height. And the ones with a height restriction most children probably wouldn't enjoy.

Busch gardens has one price for 3 and up. So your 3 year old and you will pay the same price.

Zoos and aquariums are different industry. But for giggles the Bronx and San Diego zoo define adult as 12 and 13 (respectively) and older

my point was that the exact age 10 is not a industry norm......it could very well be 14 to conform with their policy of allowing them to be unaccompanied :crazy2:

If I remember from all the opening/closing meetings that I had to go to when I was a CM, which I could be wrong because they really only push the rule when we were getting inspected (always in the summer) it was if you have a child under the age of 7 they need to be with someone 14 or older, but as long as they were tall enough and over the age of 8 they could go on rides by themselves.

I could be remembering it wrong but really as long as the child is not acting out or making trouble then it shouldn't be a big issue, but if they are causing problems and bringing attention to themselves then it is going to put up red flags for the CMs and they will start to ask questions.

The "riding alone" age restriction also applies to accompanied kids in a separate ride vehicle. We were asked often how old my (very tall) 6 yo was while I was riding with him. He and his older sister prefer to ride next to each other (on 2 seater attractions), so one doesn't have to be alone. I prefer to be right behind them to watch. Several times, we were asked to move so that ds rode with me, and dd (9) rode alone. Very happy that ds is old enough now to "ride alone" we won't actually be off the ride, but it is nice to have the freedom to choose who you sit with!

You shouldn't have any problems. As mentioned, 14 is the age to enter a park alone. 7 is the age to ride a ride without being accompanied (by someone 14+) and also to use the single rider lines.

DD11 had no problems using her magic band to purchase items both at our resort and at the parks in December and did so many times. (If you let your DD do this, she will need to know the pin number.)

And, FWIW, I don't think the pricing has anything to do with who can do what. My kids have been riding the 'thrill' rides since they were tall enough. So, around ages 4-5. I think the children's pricing is how they convince families that they are saving $ and get them to come. By the time your kid is 10+, chances are they've already got you hooked!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter