New Ride Names

miko

DIS Veteran
Just got back from a short visit. My wife and I enjoy people watching almost as much as the attractions. This time we tried to focus on some "listening" too and I thought the results were interesting and I was not aware that WDW had added a few new rides!!!!
On the flight down, 2 teenage girls and their father were planning their visit to MGM. High on their list of to do rides were the Haunted Elevator and Aerosmiths Rocking Looping Coaster. One family at the MK was heading straight for the Magic Castle. Another was looking for the Haunted Castle. Still one more family was planning to ride the Jungle Jim River Boats (good plug for Jungle Jim's Restaurant). At Epcot an group of older folks were anxious to ride the Silver Sattelite. Speed Test was on anothers list. We also heard that the Purple Dragon ride was open again!
The only "new ride" we heard about at AK was the Safari Drive Thru.
There is so much more going on at WDW than just the rides, I would highly recommend trying to set aside a 1/2 hour or so just to watch and listen to the guests. Explanations of characters and rides are just great.

This is very funny and I expect it will receive a lot of replies from others telling their stories.

May I make a suggestion though?
Miko, I think that you should maybe change the thread title, to attract different users who may bypass it's original title, if you see what i mean?

Carene

LOL, those are great!

Once at Epcot we were walking near the monorail and a kid, about 10, looked up and asked his parents, "Is that Test Track?"

At the airport we met a woman who started talking to us about our trip. Her family did WDW and Universal, and we told her how we spent a day in Disney and went on the Disney Cruise. She yelled over to her DH, "Hey Joe, they just got off the Big Red Disney Boat". I just cringed. Then in telling her how we spent an evening exploring the Boardwalk before the cruise, her adult daughter was trying to convince her that they had been there too... "Yeah Mom, remember City Walk?". ;)

I once heard a young Mom tell her son that Mr Snee was Popey's friend.

What a precious moment it was the night I overheard a father telling his youngster that they were going to look for a place to sit so they could watch the flight of Twinker Bear right before the fireworks started at Magic Kingdom.

:p

A few more misnomers I've heard quite frequently:

- I've heard Test Track called Fast Track at least 20 times
- MK being referred to a Disney World, as in "not at Epcot, but over at Disney World."
- The Haunted House, of course
- Folks asking Jane Porter if she was Mary Poppins (hey, the umbrella throws you off.)
- Referring to Spaceship Earth as a "dome".
- Star Wars and Body Tours
- The Cooling Station (Ice Station Cool)
- Splash Down Mountain

Anybody but me find it slightly grating to hear Spaceship Earth referred to as the "big golf ball" ??? :eek:

When I was in college a million years ago, we had a place where you could get "to go" meals rather than having to go to the cafeteria. It was called "Fast Track." So I am probably one of those 20 people that you have heard called Test Track Fast Track. I know it is called Test Track, but my mind wanders back to a previous place and I almost always call it Fast Track! :)

Angie

So me liking food as much as i do thought of this...

now at the Drive Thru do they have alligator burgers as well as elephant nuggets?

Is that on the dollar menu?

My late grandmother called "It's a Small World" "The Doll Ride". She never could get it right. :rolleyes:

Not exactly a misnomer, but confusion, nonetheless:

Overheard on the Epcot Monorail line, while the monorail was headed to Epcot: “Well, we we’re headed to the Polynesian…but I know we just left Epcot a minute ago…we stopped at some Ticket center, and now we’re headed to the Polynesian, I’m sure…” It was about that time when the recorded announcement came on and started welcoming us to Epcot. The lady seemed quite confused, but then declared to her child, “Well, it’s one big circle, and I know the monorail goes to the Polynesian…we’ll just stay on until it gets there.” I felt the need to tell her how to get to her resort.

So, after explaining the dual monorail tracks to the woman and her child, she said she understood, but when we arrived at Epcot, she stood as if to disembark. I told her to wait until the monorail stopped again, and then to ask a cast member how to get to the Polynesian. I sometimes wonder how late it was when she finally made it back.

Several years ago a group of visitors from Australia asked my family if we knew where they could find "gimmick" while we were at Epcot. After afew minutes we understood them to mean where would they find Figment. To this day, even with all the revisions, we still call the ride "gimmick"!

This one's good:

Riding a Disney bus about 5 years ago a woman jumped on and demanded to know in the loudest voice "IS THIS BUS GOIN' TO DISNEY WORLD?!?" I'm sure she wanted Magic Kingdom, but kept repeating that she was only interested in "DISNEY WORLD" as she and the driver spent five minutes trying to understand each other!

Not a ride a name - but one of the biggest pet-hates / bug bear's that i have had all my life.............................

"Hearing my relatives in the UK referring to WDW as Disneyland".

Being a massive Disney World fan (freak), I really, really hate it!

WDW is not Disneyland -- and i just can't get it through to them, that DisneyLand is in CA, not FL.

Carene

"Hearing my relatives in the UK referring to WDW as Disneyland".

I hear WDW called Disneyland often, and just this past December while walking thru MGM heard 2 couples discussing about how long it might take to get to Magic Mountain. I could not resist and told them at least a 3 day drive! Apparently they really thought they were in Disneyland!
I'll say it again, it is just as much fun sometimes to watch/listen to other visitors as it is to go on rides!

C'mon!!!
There MUST be more to offer on this thread!

Bumping

My youngest daughter, who just recently turned 3, asked me a couple of days ago if we could go to Disney World soon so she could see Jingle Bells at the castle. It took me 5 minutes of careful questioning to figure out that she meant TinkerBell! It was the best laugh I'd had in days!

Kelly

This thread would not be complete without David Letterman's top ten list of attractions as WDW...

Top Ten Other Disney World Attractions Being Closed for Renovations

10. It's a Small, Vermin-infested World

9. The Lion King's Litter Box

8. Mickey's "Loose Bolts" Roller Coaster

7. Spinning Tea Cups Full of Scalding Coffee

6. 101 Dalmatians Get Spayed and Neutered

5. The Country Bear "When Animals Attack" Jamboree

4. Computer Software Pirates of the Carribean

3. Journey through Goofy's Pancreas

2. Hall of Presidents of the Hair Club for Men

1. Robert Downey Jr.'s Wild Ride

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter