New Reservations Cancellation Policy

That would be accurate if people didn't have multiple names they can use. I can say I'm anybody to reserve a dining reservation.

When you try to make a res within two hours of an existing res, you either have to cancel or change.
. . . not true
. . . I personally know of three ways to double and triple book the same time slot
. . . and, that is from home without any gimmics to/of the system

The system doesn't allow it.
. . . yes it does

If, however, I want to cancel the single dinner res I have on that day at 4 pm because my children are worn out, there is a part of me that resents the idea of being charged for it.
. . . the whole idea of ADR's and FP+ is to get you to plan EVERY day
. . . and almost every hour

Oh well, Disney will see a plummet in their evening reservations, and either they will re-think this or they will not be affected because walk ups will fill the void.
. . . WDW has addicted people now (DDP), so I doubt this statement
. . . people will still flock to the eateries
. . . the current test of Signature eateries proved no such drop due to penalties

What about the reservations already made for trips scheduled after this policy goes into effect? I know we have ADR's for our NYE's trip already and no credit card was given because the policy was not a policy when my husband made them.

I do like the policy as long as Disney understands when people arrive late on property due airline problems causing late arrivals or when people get sick. If you cancel because you just are not hungry, well, pay the penalty. If you just don't feel like going, pay the penalty.

I know one year I was sick and just my DH and DD could go eat. We always do TS for lunch and dinner due to my food allergy.

Thanks Kathy
From the announcement:
I am dining at a location after Oct. 31, but I booked it prior to the location utilizing the cancellation policy. Will my credit card be charged if I do not cancel within the cancellation window or do not honor my reservation?

Reservations booked on or after October 31 will be required to adhere to the cancellation policy. Guests who booked reservations before Oct. 31 were not informed of the policy or asked for their credit card information; therefore, these Guests will not be charged if they do not honor their reservations or cancel outside of the cancellation window. However, if the Guest makes modifications to the reservation on or after October 31, he or she will be informed of the cancellation policy, asked for credit card information, and must adhere to the cancellation policy.

We have the same situation as you (going in December) and I read this as Disney saying that our reservations are fine as they are as long as they were made before October 31. I plan to add another ADR soon and I'll see if I'm asked for credit card information. From my understanding, I shouldn't if I add it before October 31.

I'm OK with this. I need to check 'Ohana in the next few days. ;)

I am in favour of it but the quid pro quo is that a reservation should mean what it says. In other words if I have an ADR for 7.30pm, when I turn up I expect to be seated at 7.30pm as I would in any other restaurant. Not 30 mins or 45 mins after my reservation time, as seems to be a regular occurrence at Disney.

Should I expect to be compensated by $10 pp if disney keep me waiting for more than 30mons?

Generally ... I have no problems with this. It will prevent lots of people from booking meals all over for the same time frame, just because they don't know what park they will be in.

I vacation solo. But what about that time that I woke up one morning at WDW with the stomach bug in full swing? That would really be adding insult to injury to charge me $10.00 for needing to cancel dinner only 8 hours in advance instead of 24 hours. Perhaps if the restaurant manager heard me vomiting?
I cancelled a solo resv on the same day last trip. It was for Cali Grill, which had the cancel fee. I had gone to all my other resvs. I was unwell the morning of the resv, went to the resort gift shop for flu medicine, then went to the front lobby to have a Concierge CM cancel the resv for me. I offered to pay the cancellation fee. The CM called CG, then said it was taken care of, and no charge. Possibly it helped that I made the effort to handle it as early as possible, and enlisted the help of my Resort personnel.

Are you sure - I won't have met the cancellation policy:confused3

I'm just speculating. But it seems logical to me that if you waited for 30 minutes or more for your ADR, and you decided you didn't want to wait any longer, they wouldn't charge your credit card.

You know, like a pizza joint. 30 minutes or it's free! :rotfl2:

I'm just speculating. But it seems logical to me that if you waited for 30 minutes or more for your ADR, and you decided you didn't want to wait any longer, they wouldn't charge your credit card.

You know, like a pizza joint. 30 minutes or it's free! :rotfl2:

If only ...:dance3:

And that's exactly why they put the policy in place. These kinds of choices were obviously costing them money in the long run. You've contributed to Disney's decision to implement this.

That's nonsensical. What contributed to the policy was all the double booking and the no shows.

I was neither. I canceled my reservations well ahead of time (and two hours is plenty for Disney).

There are just too many variables to expect people to cancel the day before.

No show - fine, charge the card; cancel 6 hours before, no way should the card be charged a fee.

This doesn't have anything to do with how we feel about double bookings; this is a major issue for people with legitimate issues that arise (young children having a meltdown and the parents switch plans, transportation issues, new guests not anticipating how long it takes to get around, etc.).

Every time we go I ALWAYS see walk ups being turned away. During those busy times the restaurants will not lose out, they will fill the seats.

I am in favour of it but the quid pro quo is that a reservation should mean what it says. In other words if I have an ADR for 7.30pm, when I turn up I expect to be seated at 7.30pm as I would in any other restaurant. Not 30 mins or 45 mins after my reservation time, as seems to be a regular occurrence at Disney.

Should I expect to be compensated by $10 pp if disney keep me waiting for more than 30mons?

Exactly this. I have never been seated on time, ever. The longest I've waited was over an hour at Chef Mickeys.

I'm with most of the PPs. A few hours notice would be acceptable, but 24?! With two small kids our plans are constantly changing.

We've only had to cancel once a few years ago, but I'd hate to be charged $40 if my kids are sick and we can't make it.

My feeling is that the folks that abuse the system will continue to do so by calling for an exception - my kid is sick, my wallet was stolen, etc., etc.

So how long will the exceptions continue I wonder?

When you try to make a res within two hours of an existing res, you either have to cancel or change.
. . . not true
. . . I personally know of three ways to double and triple book the same time slot
. . . and, that is from home without any gimmics to/of the system

Well I guess you are using ten email addresses. I'm as big a Dis Fan as any, but I only schedule under my own ID and the system tells me I have to cancel an existing res before I can book a replacement.
The system doesn't allow it.
. . . yes it does
Not when I have tried it, but maybe you had a different experience.If, however, I want to cancel the single dinner res I have on that day at 4 pm because my children are worn out, there is a part of me that resents the idea of being charged for it.
. . . the whole idea of ADR's and FP+ is to get you to plan EVERY day
. . . and almost every hour

And that is part of the problem...good or bad? Who knows.

Oh well, Disney will see a plummet in their evening reservations, and either they will re-think this or they will not be affected because walk ups will fill the void.
. . . WDW has addicted people now (DDP), so I doubt this statement
. . . people will still flock to the eateries
. . . the current test of Signature eateries proved no such drop due to penalties
I don't know, maybe you are right but I could book every Sig I looked at less than 50 days out while I have been planning my November trip. Time was you couldn't touch any of them outside of four to five months. Not sure how it will all work out.[/COLOR]

It is like the gac. If people didn't work the system or just didn't bother cancelling then they wouldn't be making more rules.

I agree with the "no show" fee, but a no show is not coming for the ADR, not canceling and giving notice. I think 4 hours should be sufficient. If I'm sick for work, I have a 4 hour policy for a call in, and that is a hospital. I am positive WDW could fill their tables still with a 4 hour no show policy.
I wonder if this will effect DxDDP buyers-what if you aren't hungry for lunch at Kona's. Maybe it will be possible to get same day ADRs and walk ups again.

My feeling is that the folks that abuse the system will continue to do so by calling for an exception - my kid is sick, my wallet was stolen, etc., etc.

So how long will the exceptions continue I wonder?

There will always be people who try to work the system but sometimes life happens. Case in point on a trip to Vegas my DH came down with a stomach bug shortly after breakfast. I called and cancelled our dinner reservation that morning.I think giving several hours of notice for a lunch or dinner at an upscale restaurant is ok. Which is how I view all Disney restaurants except for character meals, shows and V&A. Those I view like tickets to sporting events or shows.
And I say this as someone who has never even considered double booking on our trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter