New Place for Walkers, Training for 2011 and Beyond

I met my race walking students this morning for a good 6 miler along the river. I was even able to hang with them today, at one point toward the end of our walk I was even pushing the pace a bit. We didn't time our training walk it was just good conversation and a great workout.

Tomorrow is a rest day since I have to open the store and it's to much to try to get a training in that early. Besides after today's workout a rest day is in order.

Dave:hippie:

I'm having a super training week. Today I met my race walk team for a strong 10K and tomorrow I'm doing speed intervals. Friday I'm doing a 10 miler just because I need some distance training.

How is everyone else's training going?

I did a 6 miler last week followed the next day by a 10 miler at a slower pace. :cool1: The next day i got cortisone shots in both feet so I took the weekend off. I was still babying my feet on Monday so I went to the Y and did 20 miles on the bike. Yesterday and today were x-training to a walking DVD in my house.

I think my feet are going to be okay. Now my knee is giving me some concerns. I'm taking the rest of the week off. I'll probably just do some stretching each day and see how it feels on Sunday.

I did a 6 miler last week followed the next day by a 10 miler at a slower pace. :cool1: The next day i got cortisone shots in both feet so I took the weekend off. I was still babying my feet on Monday so I went to the Y and did 20 miles on the bike. Yesterday and today were x-training to a walking DVD in my house.

I think my feet are going to be okay. Now my knee is giving me some concerns. I'm taking the rest of the week off. I'll probably just do some stretching each day and see how it feels on Sunday.

Lorie, give yourself a brake and ease back into things.

Have a great go at it Dave.

I saw neurosurgeon yesterday and was told I could start walking, not speed walking :rotfl2:, and ride our recumbent exerciser. Have to go for an Aspen Collar fitting tomorrow after seeing my orthopedic surgeon.

DW and I did get out after dinner today but I only walked a whopping .66 mile.:cool1:

Training walk this morning wasn't the speed session I had planned because I was a little tired from yesterday's group 10K. But I had a good comfortable 4 miles fast enough to work up a good sweat but slow enough to be energizing.

Feel better guys.

Hello to all and I'm back walking.:cool1::cool1:

Got out with DW this morning, walked 5K and it felt GREAT. One good thing about walking with a Philadelphia Collar and a sling for the right arm on is that ALL drivers gave us plenty of room when passing. Five more weeks and maybe I will be free of both restrictions.

Keep safe and good walking.

John, my walking today was an hour of mall walking with my lady also. She is helping make sure I have an easy day a couple days a week, then when I have to open the store I'm forced to take a rest day. It's working well I'm getting stronger and faster each week.

Where is everyone? The thread is much better when we share our training and help and support each other.

Lorie, give yourself a brake and ease back into things.

Have a great go at it Dave.

I saw neurosurgeon yesterday and was told I could start walking, not speed walking :rotfl2:, and ride our recumbent exerciser. Have to go for an Aspen Collar fitting tomorrow after seeing my orthopedic surgeon.

DW and I did get out after dinner today but I only walked a whopping .66 mile.:cool1:

Yay! that you've been released to get out to do a little. :thumbsup2

My one foot is giving me fits. It's worse than before the cortisone shot. I get a sporadic burning pain sometimes in the arch and sometimes in the ball. I have a bruise where they gave me the shot that darkens at night and lightens in the am. Weird! I have another appointment on Friday.

I feel like I'm very behind on my training. I should be really kicking it in gear here. My half is in less than 8 weeks. :eek:

Hello to all and I'm back walking.:cool1::cool1:

Got out with DW this morning, walked 5K and it felt GREAT. One good thing about walking with a Philadelphia Collar and a sling for the right arm on is that ALL drivers gave us plenty of room when passing. Five more weeks and maybe I will be free of both restrictions.

Keep safe and good walking.

Hot diggity dog!! I'm sure that felt great!

I just got fitted for new shoes yesterday so all my excuses for not getting out and doing it are fading away. I'm a suppinator and the Mizuno Wave riders that I've been wearing for 4 years just aren't supporting me the way I need them to. They put me in an Asics Fortitude and it feels good. Let's hope that makes a big improvement.

I managed to pull out a 5K PR last weekend and was really pleased with myself. They had a separate walking event and were keeping track of our times as we crossed the finish line. Of course, after the event, they only uploaded the Race Results from the Run and not the Walk. I was really disappointed.

I have somehow managed to bruise the ball of my foot though. I think it's called metatarsalgia... It's very irritating and feels like I have a huge bruise on my right foot whenever I step. I had taken the week off before the 5K to see if it improved, did the 5k and felt OK, then regretted it later. Today was the first time in 2 weeks I've been able to get in a walk. I did a little over 3 miles this morning and the foot was OK during the walk, but it's really sore now. I'm not sure what has suddenly made the difference, but I've ordered some new insoles for my shoes with a bit more forefoot padding, so we'll see if that helps or hurts. :confused3

Meredith, great on the 5K PR, sorry about the pain. If you haven't changed your foot strike in any way what about a shoe problem. Extra padding might just cover-up an underlying issue.

jeanneg, go luck with your new treads.

Lorie, no matter what, do not push things. Walking is for fun and health, not money. Cortisone and me, do not get along. My only allergy.

Dave, Kathy and I walk together 2 or 3 times a week and I so enjoy the company. When out by myself it is work. I have committed myself to walk with DW in all events other than a full marathon, after-all we are a team.

Today Kathy and I got out after dinner and I put my Garmin 305 on. 2.71 miles at a road blistering 17.25 pace. My legs were good but my shoulder and neck not so good. After a long day that included shopping with DFIL, this 60yo body just gets tired. OH, I forgot, walking into a door jam with my right shoulder didn't do my fractured clavicle any good. Will find out if I caused problems Thursday with X-rays at Ortho. Pretty sure I have nerve damage also. That's not good for my bicycle riding.

Stay healthy all, walking is meant to be fun not injurious.

John - the foot soreness was my own fault. I decided to try something crazy and started the Couch to 5k program to see if I could jog some. The jogging was a lot easier than I thought it would be (since I was under the impression that I wouldn't be able to do it very successfully with my MS) but it did change my footstrike during the jogging portions when I wasn't paying extreme attention. The pain started about a week into that.

That'll teach me to try to do something other than walking! :rotfl2:

I made my decisions for the 2011 racing season. Out of town race will be the USAF Half Marathon with my race walker brothers. Then some local 5ks and the 10K classic. January will be a DisneyWorld race, dare I think Goofy #4, Grrrrrr!!

Tomorrow begins my assault on some race walking age group mile stones. I want very badly to walk a 30 min 5K this year and a sub 2:30 half marathon.

Meredith, it is a bummer when you try to go faster and end up hurting yourself for your effort.

Dave, hope your assault goes well today.

Today, 3 weeks and 1 day since my accident, I started my official race training for the DL 1/2 in Sept. and next year's Goofy. I also started my quest to better my 1/2M training time to the sub 2hr mark. I am thankful that I don't race walk like Dave because the required technique is IMPOSSIBLE for me to do with my neck collar and the figure 8 strap I might be wearing for the next 3 months.

I spoke to a friend about CHI Walking and how implementing it allows me to walk the pace I do so she went out and purchased Danny Dreyer's CD set. She listened to them and now gave them to me to listen to. I hope to get more helpful information to improve my form and speed.

Train Healthy and Smart everyone.

Well my plan for a good training walk are not going so well it's storming AGAIN been a wet wet wet April, we better get a mess of them May flowers.

Sally is leaving in a little while to move back in with her sister in Dixon Tenn so not a super day for me.

I did register for the USAF half marathon that is in Dayton Ohio on Sept 17th.

John your times give me something to shoot for.

Dave, so sorry to read on both fronts. Maybe I should go up there and bring some of this never ending sunshine and you could come down here and bring some of the rain. :lmao: We're in big need of rain and yet people still water their lawns.

Sally is gone now.

I just registered for the 2012 Goofy, I turn 60 in Oct so a PR for both races are in order. Grrrrrrrrrr!!!

Dave, good to see another co-walker going Goofy again.

Got out for another walk since my crash and I bet I must have looked strange with my neck brace, figure 8 strap and Fuel Belt. Went into my Chi mode and walked a 5K in 39:30. Temperature was 87* at 6:45pm after a pretty large dinner. Going to go out tomorrow right after sunrise and then Sunday at 5:30am with Kathy.

Good walk John.

I'm going to do so time trials next week to see where my speed is. I'm a race walker and technique matters. I pride myself on my technique being good all the time when i'm walking a distance.

Yes Goofy, "It's what we do".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter