New Magic Kingdom Welcome Show & Main Street Opening UPDATE: Page 15 - Post #281

It will definitely be interesting to see how crowded it gets at the ropes into each land and when people start really lining up there. I wonder how many people will actually watch the show (once, multiple times?).

I'm sure we will watch it head on maybe once, as long as we don't have to stake a spot too early. I do like the idea of going through the shops as I usually don't have time built into the schedule for that, so I doubt we will line up for the show or the ropes very early, unless it becomes a necessity. My 2 yr old and 5 yr old will enjoy moving along Main Street and in the shops more than just sitting and waiting...as will I.

The only day we could get ourselves up early enough was the day we had a PPO ADR. I doubt we'll ever get to see ANY welcome show at our pace. Guess we aren't missing much with this one!

Out of all the shows at MK, the opening show was my favorite. I'm much more sad about this than I thought I would be. There was just something so fun and special about the build up and anticipation of seeing the characters arrive and then Mickey at the end. It was like one big crescendo and then Hooray!!! There he is! And now we get to go in! The only reason I will see this show is to be there for rope drop...

I loved the Welcome Show in some ways and got teary when I watched it - but it was also often SUPER packed and there was no way they could really keep it the way it was with the changes in security. The logjam was nuts this summer!

I guess it does stop the rumor it was to cut back on Entertainment/CM costs, not only are there way more characters than I have ever seen at the morning show but they are mostly face characters.
Somehow I'm thinking some will still spin this to be a cost cutting measure. It is the catch all complaint bucket these days.

I'm not watching it till I see it in person for myself. I find watching things online never hold a candle to in person. I prefer not to cloud my judgement. Helps me keep an open mind when I see it live and in person, the first time.

I'm really curious from an informational standpoint how Friday will go down as there is supposed to be morning EMH at MK I believe. What method will they use to allow resort guests past the ropes. I'm assuming the show will still be at 8:55 for a 9:00 opening and the morning EMH are slated for 8-9am.

Somehow I'm thinking some will still spin this to be a cost cutting measure. It is the catch all complaint bucket these days.

I'm not watching it till I see it in person for myself. I find watching things online never hold a candle to in person. I prefer not to cloud my judgement. Helps me keep an open mind when I see it live and in person, the first time.

To not spoil .... 5 fur characters (maybe not who you'd expect) and 14 face characters.

So, do we know if the breakfast ppl. were allowed in before the regular crowd at 8am? The early breakfast folks used to be let in before 8am...is that still the case, or are they just letting everyone in at the same time? I know obviously, we only have 1 day of experience to go on, but just wondering. It seems like doing an early breakfast now, not only doesn't give you much of an advantage, but probably a disadvantage as you'll be behind all the people that are standing at the castle while you're eating breakfast (I guess this would only apply to Crystal Palace, but that's a big one for us). I can't imagine doing a breakfast there now knowing that we'd be at such a disadvantage at park opening. Hmmm...glad we aren't going for a while, so hopefully we'll know more, but so far, not really a fan of the show (I'm not sure if there's really more characters there now or not...a lot of characters used to come off the train), and def. NOT a fan of the logistics.

Last edited:
I loved the Welcome Show in some ways and got teary when I watched it - but it was also often SUPER packed and there was no way they could really keep it the way it was with the changes in security. The logjam was nuts this summer!

I only made it to the Welcome Show once (the time I tried it on our first trip, our MK bus went to DHS instead, and by the time we arrived at MK, I'd missed it). I saw it on my last trip, and sobbed, it was so beautiful.

I like the idea of not having the mad squeeze through the arches when the show is done, but I can't say that was the best show I've seen. Also, as a Donald fan, I'd like to see him in that line up! I think I'll try see it early in our trip (whilst we still have the morning boost from the jet lag) and then after that I'll be lining up for an early morning trip to Space Mountain on other days! :)

So, do we know if the breakfast ppl. were allowed in before the regular crowd at 8am? The early breakfast folks used to be let in before 8am...is that still the case, or are they just letting everyone in at the same time? I know obviously, we only have 1 day of experience to go on, but just wondering. It seems like doing an early breakfast now, not only doesn't give you much of an advantage, but probably a disadvantage as you'll be behind all the people that are standing at the castle while you're eating breakfast (I guess this would only apply to Crystal Palace, but that's a big one for us). I can't imagine doing a breakfast there now knowing that we'd be at such a disadvantage at park opening. Hmmm...glad we aren't going for a while, so hopefully we'll know more, but so far, not really a fan of the show (I'm not sure if there's really more characters there now or not...a lot of characters used to come off the train, and def. NOT a fan of the logistics.
I'm wondering the exact same thing. Are early ADR folks let in any earlier? I have an 8:10 ADR at CP on 2/19. Was really hoping to get a cute picture of my kiddos sitting on the ground facing the castle, wearing their Mickey ears. From what I've been reading on different sites, everyone was let in at the same time. :worried:

So, do we know if the breakfast ppl. were allowed in before the regular crowd at 8am? The early breakfast folks used to be let in before 8am...is that still the case, or are they just letting everyone in at the same time? I know obviously, we only have 1 day of experience to go on, but just wondering. It seems like doing an early breakfast now, not only doesn't give you much of an advantage, but probably a disadvantage as you'll be behind all the people that are standing at the castle while you're eating breakfast (I guess this would only apply to Crystal Palace, but that's a big one for us). I can't imagine doing a breakfast there now knowing that we'd be at such a disadvantage at park opening. Hmmm...glad we aren't going for a while, so hopefully we'll know more, but so far, not really a fan of the show (I'm not sure if there's really more characters there now or not...a lot of characters used to come off the train, and def. NOT a fan of the logistics.
I just sent a message to someone that was there for the opening, I hope they can find a definite answer
But remember that any dinning reservation only guarantees you a table for whatever time you reserved and not a placement in front of anyone else, I'm not trying to be combative, just stating the facts. I know that many book the PPO too be in front of the crowds at opening but that's not the purpose of a table service restaurant.
As soon as my friend answers back I will post it here

For those who did MK rope drop this morning, beyond the new show--and the future of PPO dining--I'd love to hear your thoughts of the experience of getting to do Main Street an hour before the rest of the park. Some here who had never experienced how well this works at Disneyland thought it might be awful. Yet others said it used to work just fine until 13 years ago at MK. So, how was it?

Last edited:
It will definitely be interesting to see how crowded it gets at the ropes into each land and when people start really lining up there. I wonder how many people will actually watch the show (once, multiple times?).

That's an interesting thought. The day I did catch the Welcome Show, I got to walk through Tomorrow Land on my own (just me and CMs!) as everyone else headed to other spots. I wonder if gathering at the rope for a particular land will mean people choose alternative locations if where they were planning is particularly busy.

I'm really curious from an informational standpoint how Friday will go down as there is supposed to be morning EMH at MK I believe. What method will they use to allow resort guests past the ropes. I'm assuming the show will still be at 8:55 for a 9:00 opening and the morning EMH are slated for 8-9am.
I'm curious too. My guess is they will be held outside the park, that they can't scan in till 9:00 and there will be no opening show, or an abridged one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter