New Disney World AP Pay and get less?

Reservations aren't necessarily terrible, but as someone mentioned, its easy to use that as a block out date for passes without anyone being the wiser. Not to mention, no one really wants to plan where they will be on vacation. Worse those is the reservations came with park hopping only at certain times. That really threw a wrench in our last trip as we couldn't just go elsewhere that day without checking into a park. When its an epcot reservation that no one knew would open at 11am, you basically wasted half a day.
You're not wrong, but those are reasons why a guest doesn't like them. I wasn't arguing that.

My point was that Disney gets a major organizational benefit out of them, which is why a lot of folks predicted they'd be permanent.

I'll nudge that the blockouts are a totally different beast. The decision to block out a day is typically made a year or more in advance, using prior trends and data. Reservations give Disney the ability to do that on the fly, essentially on a moment's notice. That's a lot different, and way more valuable to Disney.

Intriguing question… personally I would expect Disney to honor the terms of the purchase and either issue a Plat AP or so the new AP with a photopass benefit.
If it includes the photo pass, and it is only important for 1 person to have the photo pass, maybe on your next trip you should only activate one of the old ones, and buy one new one. Then after those expire do that same. If you normally renew as opposed to just reactivating a new pass 6 months or a year later this approach doesn't help.

We currently have Weekday Select Passes, so I'm relieved about these things:
- a pass at a similar price point still exists (I was really worried that this category would go away altogether)
- parking is still included (this would have been awful to lose)
- summer is no longer blocked out (this is an amazing upgrade for us)

We never had photopass so we aren't experiencing a loss there, and our renewal price, IIRC, is just about $25 higher than last year. Not nearly as bad as the increase in other categories.
we have always had silver, and getting the whole summer in exchange for a few holiday weekends is nice. I was really expecting much worse for the lower tier passes

Our out of state platinum passes expire June 2022. I think we are done at that time with APs. With all the other changes to the parks we will be switching to a once a year trip and buying regular tickets. All of the perks of being an AP member and popping in and just enjoying yourself have mostly all been taken away. We still love Disney, and will put up with the restrictions once a year. But I think our AP days and multiple visits a year are over for now. Maybe this is what Disney secretly hopes for? If so it's working.

We currently have Weekday Select Passes, so I'm relieved about these things:
- a pass at a similar price point still exists (I was really worried that this category would go away altogether)
- parking is still included (this would have been awful to lose)
- summer is no longer blocked out (this is an amazing upgrade for us)

We never had photopass so we aren't experiencing a loss there, and our renewal price, IIRC, is just about $25 higher than last year. Not nearly as bad as the increase in other categories.
As a dvc member, I covet this pass. The new Pixie Dust pass. Wrote to Disney asking that it be extended to dvcers.

25% increase for DVC members!!! o_O
Yup....even though is is still a $400 "savings" from the $1200 pass that any out-of-state guest is forced to buy if they want an AP, it is still a HUGE increase. On one hand, I am glad I am grandfathered in with my 2 little contracts (100 AKV resale from 2008 and 50 HHI direct in 2011), but on the other hand, it is still a LOT of $$$ to shell out $900 for an AP when I only do parks for 5-7 days a year. I try to get 2 trips on one AP so $900 makes each trip $450. If I only get 5 park days, that's barely a savings. If my military friend comes with me, it's not a savings at all since she gets me a Military Salute ticket. I was thinking about upgrading my pass this fall and using it next year, but I think I will pass. I'll just suck it up and stick to multi-day tickets when we go....IF we decide to buy park tickets AT ALL. It's becoming too much work and too much $$$ to enjoy the parks anymore. It's not even about the crowds...it's all a money grab now.

Had to go back through my emails for the receipt but I renewed my Platinum in Jan for $1080. Incredi-Pass renewal rate is 1104 + tax and no PhotoPass lol.
where are you seeing this? I only see the 1299 Incredimail. I must be looking at the wrong place. So confusing. I'm actually sitting at MCO waiting to board😔

No, they will absolutely not limit park capacity to make Genie+ a better experience. Lol.
In order for it to operate like MaxPass and be a success, capacity will need to align with their models. Otherwise they will be issuing refunds and the response will be horrible. Park reservations by nature do this, regardless of how funny you think it is.

Is there a DVC discounted rate for the incredi-pass like there was for the old platinum...? Anyone seen anything published?

I whipped up a (somewhat) apples-to-apples comparison of the main theme park passes to help gauge "value."

Right now, I'm happy we decided to move to Universal, and we'll probably get Sea World again also at Xmas (and for the new rides in Feb). Both Universal AND Seaworld together are not much more than just a Disney pass and you get a great many more perks overall. Note, Sea World's platinum includes Aquatica also (but I left off the water parks here).

PassCostDiscountsReservations RequiredFree Halloween Event TicketFront-of-Line AccessBlockout DatesGuest TicketsAdditional ExperiencesPhotos Included
Disney Sorcerer (4 parks)$ 899.0020% merch
20% sit-down dining only
YesNoNoSome: Tgiving, Xmas,NoNoNo
Universal Premier (2-parks)$ 559.0015% on everythingNoYesFree 1/ride Express pass after 4pmNoneNoNoNo
Sea World Platinum (2 parks w/BGT)$ 372.0050% merch, 20% everything else (including snacks, quick serve & kiosks)NoNo1 ride per day, discount on Quick QueueNone61 basic animal encounterYes

I always think it’s funny that people think they are still “limiting” capacity. They’re not.
Raising prices isn’t at all about limiting capacity. (They could do that quite easily with the park pass system.)

Raising prices is about knowing that there are families who can afford more (or I guess who will borrow on credit) and going after more money. Whether some people can no longer afford it seems not to matter. You can lose a few small fish if you keep two big whales.

I whipped up a (somewhat) apples-to-apples comparison of the main theme park passes to help gauge "value."

Right now, I'm happy we decided to move to Universal, and we'll probably get Sea World again also at Xmas (and for the new rides in Feb). Both Universal AND Seaworld together are not much more than just a Disney pass and you get a great many more perks overall.

Heck, Universal even has a pass for $400 each that would suit my family just fine.

I just don’t love it there like I do WDW. Not outside of the Harry Potter and Jurassic areas.

I see that theme park parking is included with the annual pass... What about resort parking?

You're not wrong, but those are reasons why a guest doesn't like them. I wasn't arguing that.

My point was that Disney gets a major organizational benefit out of them, which is why a lot of folks predicted they'd be permanent.

I'll nudge that the blockouts are a totally different beast. The decision to block out a day is typically made a year or more in advance, using prior trends and data. Reservations give Disney the ability to do that on the fly, essentially on a moment's notice. That's a lot different, and way more valuable to Disney.

Reservations are the #1 most hated thing on my list as a former passholder. Spinning the value of metrics that come as a result doesn't soften that blow in any way shape or form.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter