New DDP- Servers not happy!

emma'smom

<font color=magenta>P.S. Who would serve turnips a
We talked to a few servers about the new DDP this week and every one of them expressed concern over the new plan. One said "I'm scared about what is going to happen." Most were most concerned over having to point out that gratuity wasn't included and feeling akward about this process as well as expecting to get even lower tips than they earned previously because folks either wont' realize it isn't included or will choose to tip poorly.

I wouldnt be happy either....in March we actually gave our server additional monies cause she was soo awesome at Ohana!! We will probably do the same next trip if we receive exceptional service!
This was my job during H.S. and college....so I really appreciate good service, and I try to be understanding when not so good...and cannot tolerate a server with an attitude!
I hope folks will not take out their frustration(if they have any) regarding the DDP on the servers!! :)

I can understand their concern...a good friend is a server in a restaurant (not Disney), and she says her tips average 13-15%, so they certainly could take a financial loss.

I do feel sorry for the servers, but I have a feeling of fear they are expressing is exactly what Disney was looking for; getting them to work harder for the gratuity. I hope Disney find a way of telling customers that the tips are no longer included in an appropriate way that suits the customers and the wait staff

We'll have to wait and see what actually happens of course, but my feeling is that a fair # of folks will still use the 2008 DDP with "saving money" as the paramount interest. And then save more by not tipping at the proper levels.

I believe they will lose money that way also. All they can do is give the best service possible and hope for a good tip..

I think a certain number of people always are in the "saving money as the paramount interest" mode -- if anything, the inclusion of the gratuity in the 2005-7 Dining Plan was a boon for servers, since such folks couldn't get away with stiffing them. The 2008 Dining Plan, in addition to restoring the direct influence a diner has over the compensation of the server, as with regular restaurant meals, also restores the standard risk to servers from bad tippers.

I totally agree with you, Bicker. The only problem, though, is that the DDP may bring in a significant segment of people who are just able to afford the plan but really didn't budget (either intentionally or unintentionally) for a tip based on actual prices. WDW restaurant prices are sticker shock to many (myself included) and if people feel that the $$$ amount is not representative of the value received, they may reduce their tip based on what their perceived value is.

All in all, a crapshoot.

Well I can see both sides of it. For the servers that work their butts off, they could have issues now. BUT I've seen a lot of people claim (I have no proof and I dont think anyone had REAL proof) that some servers wouldnt work as hard for you once they found out you were on the DDP as they got an auto 18% anyway. So maybe, I HOPE that people do tip properly, BUT maybe it will weed out some servers that tended to not work as hard as they should.

WDW restaurant prices are sticker shock to many

You know this always suprises me. I've seen nothing on the restaurant prices that shock me. NOW, snacks and that kind of stuff I'll never get used to, but the menu prices just dont seem that out of line to me. If my wife and I go out and eat at a table service place, You just dont get out for much less then $20 a person, and it's EASILY much more as you step up a notch or 2.

I'm sure it will reduce the tip for many. I was a big in additon to tipper for great service while on the plan leaving an additional cash tip that brough the tip up considerably. I will not be using the plan in 2008 and tipping 20% for great service and whatever I feel is appropriate for subpar service--I'm sure most tips will be the 20% range; however, most of my dining will be done offsite now.

I agree with many of the posts-I think some of the problems will be

-people not knowing they need to tip(due to a signifant change in programme)
-people tipping less than 15% (because they can-esp for buffet servers)
-international travlers that don't "know" they need to tip(although in the year 2008 I really find this hard to believe)
-people who do not tip above 15%( for a variety of reasons)
-some might even tip based on the cost of the plan 37.99(who knows)

In the past I would have thought servers would have loved the DDP(I always had good service using the plan)because we were a "gaurenteed good tip"...I wonder in the past few years how many servers were stiffed or shorted on tips(I'm going to ask in 2 weeks)...but I would have thought that the servers would have went home with a 15% of total reciepts fairly frequently...I am afraid now that will go down(and hard esp in the first year).

Infact this (2008) might be the first year where I think servers might even be afraid of the DDP users....:confused3 . I know most of us are aware of the changes and are planning accordingly, but let's face it there are many people out there that do not do the research.

I hope folks will tip, and tip well. I think many on this board understand DDP. I have to say, there are so many folks that don't. I was a regular customer with solo reservations several places earlier this month. You just can't imagine the long negotiations some folks launch into making sure they get every morsel of food they are entitled to. I felt so bad for the servers.

The set up-a table for 6-ddp, table for 2-ddp, me-solo, cash, table for 6-ddp.

Two servers, had these tables divided up between them (among others) and they both had to go through the really long, patient explanation at each of the ddp tables.

At one table for 6, the entire table insisted on giving their dessert orders, along with all their appetizers and entrees. Server politely said she's take those orders after the meal,diners insisted take them now. So.....after all the explanations she also got to listen to them dither about desserts while she could have been placing their appetizer/entree orders.

When she got to me, I got the DDP question, joked with her that I was "just" a regular person. She smiled, and seemed relieved. She then had plenty of time to make a couple of great suggestions, which I took.

If I had a dining partner, I probably wouldn't have noticed. But, being solo, along with tables close-by, it was pretty obvious that DDP is a lot of work for servers.

I think a certain number of people always are in the "saving money as the paramount interest" mode -- if anything, the inclusion of the gratuity in the 2005-7 Dining Plan was a boon for servers, since such folks couldn't get away with stiffing them. The 2008 Dining Plan, in addition to restoring the direct influence a diner has over the compensation of the server, as with regular restaurant meals, also restores the standard risk to servers from bad tippers.
I agree. I think some hardworking servers are going to get stiffed. I hate it. They just should have added a few dollars to the price of DDP, dropped the appetizer OR dessert and left the rest alone. Maybe they will learn a lesson in 2008 and will bring tips back in 2009 (?).

I hope folks will tip, and tip well. I think many on this board understand DDP. I have to say, there are so many folks that don't. I was a regular customer with solo reservations several places earlier this month. You just can't imagine the long negotiations some folks launch into making sure they get every morsel of food they are entitled to. I felt so bad for the servers.

The set up-a table for 6-ddp, table for 2-ddp, me-solo, cash, table for 6-ddp.

Two servers, had these tables divided up between them (among others) and they both had to go through the really long, patient explanation at each of the ddp tables.

At one table for 6, the entire table insisted on giving their dessert orders, along with all their appetizers and entrees. Server politely said she's take those orders after the meal,diners insisted take them now. So.....after all the explanations she also got to listen to them dither about desserts while she could have been placing their appetizer/entree orders.

When she got to me, I got the DDP question, joked with her that I was "just" a regular person. She smiled, and seemed relieved. She then had plenty of time to make a couple of great suggestions, which I took.

If I had a dining partner, I probably wouldn't have noticed. But, being solo, along with tables close-by, it was pretty obvious that DDP is a lot of work for servers.
I don't think it's the DIS people we have to worry about not tipping or being prepared. It's the people who just show up at WDW without researching or knowing enough about the packages. Knowingly or unknowingly they will be the ones who don't won't get the tip right.

I think free dining may subject servers to greater then the "standard risk" of bad tippers.

I don't think Disney will go back to including the tip no matter what.

I think buffet servers may take a hit. Most tipping guides suggest 10% for buffet servers, I consider a 15% tip for a buffet server (even at WDW) to be equivalent to a 20% tip at a full service restaurant.

I loved the fact that the tip was included in the DDP last year, made it so easy etc. Now that the plan does not include tips I think it is going to be a pain and yes I feel they will definately get stiffed by a lot of people just from the confusion alone of having it included last year versus this year not having it included. But you know what I don't feel bad at all, they are getting what they deserve IMO. The main reason for the gratuity not being in the plan from my understanding was the big stink the union made about getting it removed because they weren't getting the whole 18%. So now they have made their bed and will have to sleep in it. You know they say be careful what you ask for you just might get it.:confused3

Last winter there were a lot of contract negotiations with restaurant staff. One of the things being voted on was a automatic tip being added in. I was under the impression that the servers wanted it removed. My guess was that having it added automatically made it a highly taxed position. When I worked as a waitress in college the best part of the job was the instant gratification of cash in my pocket. All I am trying to say is I think that the decision to take the tip off the DDP was really a REQUEST by the restaurant workers.

Could the new plan possibly be implemented prior to 2008? I'm prompted to ask this because the new resort pricing has been enforced earlier than anticipated. New resort pricing was expected to go into effect in January 2008, along with the dining plan changes. Folks, like me, who have applied discount codes to their fall packages have been subjected to the new "2008" pricing system.

I hesitate to call and ask Disney about this because I highly doubt I will get the same answer twice.

I wonder if the extra taxes they will pay by claiming all their tips would have something to do with the servers requesting for a change. That's 20-30% off the top. Worth getting stiffed a couple of times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter