New credit card guarantees. Restaurant list, policy & common questions in 1st post

I cancelled an ADR in about 20 seconds Christmas Eve morning at BLT. Pulled out our iPad, connected the free WiFi, retrieved our reservations, and hit cancel. No hassle whatsoever. :confused3

I appreciate hearing that. On our last trip in March the mobile site wouldn't let me make cancellations from either of the phones we had with us (one "smart", one "dumb" but web-enabled), and a friend told me she had problems from her iPhone in Feb. Maybe they've done something since then to make it more agreeable to other platforms? Without the web option cancelling is/was a hassle - either wait in line at guest services, wait on hold on the phone, or make a stop in the resort lobby - but if they get their mobile site working properly that does make things MUCH easier.

Now we just need to wait for internet at the rest of the resorts! :surfweb: :laughing:

I appreciate hearing that. On our last trip in March the mobile site wouldn't let me make cancellations from either of the phones we had with us (one "smart", one "dumb" but web-enabled), and a friend told me she had problems from her iPhone in Feb. Maybe they've done something since then to make it more agreeable to other platforms? Without the web option cancelling is/was a hassle - either wait in line at guest services, wait on hold on the phone, or make a stop in the resort lobby - but if they get their mobile site working properly that does make things MUCH easier.

Now we just need to wait for internet at the rest of the resorts! :surfweb: :laughing:

Hmmm.. I tried to retrieve our reservations on my "smart" Android phone, but the WDW site wouldn't let me log in. That was using my cell phone carrier's 3G plan. Using the WiFi in our villa, I had no problem at all connecting to the internet and signing into disneyworld.com, and subsequently cancelling the reservation. So I'm really not sure if the mobile site is working any better, to be honest. It would definitely make cancelling easier if the mobile site functions as it should.

This thread has been dormant for quite a while.....
Anyway, just wanted to comment that some friends of mine went to WDW Jan. 21st-27th. I know this a slow time, but the trip was booked last minute. (2 weeks ahead) They were able to get ADR's at the following places: CRT, Spirit of Aloha, Coral Reef, Tusker House breakfast.
They also did a walk-in at: Raglan Road, Boatwright's, and Sci-Fi.
They had also had a Mama Melrose ADR that they were unable to make.

Some, like Mama Melrose (no Fantasmic at that time) and Boatwright's don't surprise me. But, I've seen people turned away from many of the other places.
Again, I know it's a slow time, but the fact that they were able to secure the other ADR's so easily gives me hope that there will be a big silver lining to this policy. :)

Just wanted to update since I saw the bump...

The mobile site is definitely working better. I was able to cancel two reservations that we decided to change, one from my lower-end Android and one from my DD's iPod Touch over wi-fi (I specifically waited until we were waiting to be seated at Chef Mickey's just to use the iPod on the CR's wi-fi rather than cancelling both from my phone). So that's a big step in the right direction.

I'm not sure how long this has been in place because I never do my dining plans via phone but there's also a completely automated search and booking function accessible from the in-room phone. I was able to make a new reservation without ever waiting to talk to an agent.

On the down side, we did experience a long wait at Crystal Palace (which is an entirely different rant that I'll just sum up thusly - people who make reservations for times that don't work for them, like during Wishes, and then expect to get seated whenever it is convenient to show up are just as bad as the people who book a reservation in each park) and were told that if we decided to leave we would be charged the no-show fee. I've written a letter to guest services about the experience and will update when/if I get a response.

Thanks for the update Colleen!

They really do need to do something about places like the Crystal Palace that always seem to fall far behind in seating their guests. If you show up and are told the wait is excessive, I don't think it is fair to charge the no show fee. You did your part, Disney should be expected to do theirs.

This thread has been dormant for quite a while.....
Anyway, just wanted to comment that some friends of mine went to WDW Jan. 21st-27th. I know this a slow time, but the trip was booked last minute. (2 weeks ahead) They were able to get ADR's at the following places: CRT, Spirit of Aloha, Coral Reef, Tusker House breakfast.
They also did a walk-in at: Raglan Road, Boatwright's, and Sci-Fi.
They had also had a Mama Melrose ADR that they were unable to make.

Some, like Mama Melrose (no Fantasmic at that time) and Boatwright's don't surprise me. But, I've seen people turned away from many of the other places.
Again, I know it's a slow time, but the fact that they were able to secure the other ADR's so easily gives me hope that there will be a big silver lining to this policy. :)

That's our normal week to go, and I can say that even last year, with a party of 7, we were able to walk into LeCellier for lunch and Coral Reef for dinner. We were also able to alter our CRT one week prior to our trip, and secure an 8:05 at Crystal Palace one week earlier. Also, we walked into Sci-Fi for lunch as well.

Just so the basis of comparison (new policy vs old policy) is fair.

That's our normal week to go, and I can say that even last year, with a party of 7, we were able to walk into LeCellier for lunch and Coral Reef for dinner. We were also able to alter our CRT one week prior to our trip, and secure an 8:05 at Crystal Palace one week earlier. Also, we walked into Sci-Fi for lunch as well.

Just so the basis of comparison (new policy vs old policy) is fair.

Thanks - I guess I got excited a bit prematurely. :laughing: I only travel on school vacation weeks and I've seen some craziness at the podiums with people yelling about not being able to get in.:scared1: Of course, many people did book their ADR's for Jan. before the policy went into effect. I'll be interested to see what the reports are as time goes on....

On the down side, we did experience a long wait at Crystal Palace (which is an entirely different rant that I'll just sum up thusly - people who make reservations for times that don't work for them, like during Wishes, and then expect to get seated whenever it is convenient to show up are just as bad as the people who book a reservation in each park) and were told that if we decided to leave we would be charged the no-show fee. I've written a letter to guest services about the experience and will update when/if I get a response.

Ok, now THIS is ridiculous. Please do post when they write back. I simply can't believe that after you showed up (as PP said "did your part"), they would still charge you the fee. I haven't done CP in years but I've read a bunch of threads about the long waits there.

So . . . it seems like if you have a partial party show up, you still get charged for no-shows. I think I've read that.

Here's my current problem: I'm planning my younger sister-in-law's bachelorette party. She's got 1 flaky friend who hasn't committed yet (trip is 4/14-4/15). But, since we just decided to go, I already snagged our Chef Mickey's breakfast for a full 7 people. (If she doesn't go, we'll be 6.)

If she decides not to go - even as late as April 12 - which would still be w/i the cancellation window - how can I modify? Are the CMs on the phone able to just lower my number of people to 6? B/c it seems like I don't have that option available myself online right? Online would make me search for a new ressie and not find any that close to the date. Or are the CMs forced to cancel and rebook as well? I'm wondering if I'm potentially going to have to eat the $10 or have some kind of fight with them if this likely scenario occurs. <sigh>

Just wanted to update since I saw the bump...

The mobile site is definitely working better. I was able to cancel two reservations that we decided to change, one from my lower-end Android and one from my DD's iPod Touch over wi-fi (I specifically waited until we were waiting to be seated at Chef Mickey's just to use the iPod on the CR's wi-fi rather than cancelling both from my phone). So that's a big step in the right direction.

I'm not sure how long this has been in place because I never do my dining plans via phone but there's also a completely automated search and booking function accessible from the in-room phone. I was able to make a new reservation without ever waiting to talk to an agent.

Thanks for the update and can't wait to read what response Disney will give you in regards to that.

Can you pay cash for your bill and deduct $10 for each person that was seated late :lmao: since Disney didn't do their part.:rolleyes1

We're back from our second trip where the new policy is in place and I have to say I rather like it.

Not only was I able to book Le Cellier at a reasonable time but when we went there were minimal waits.

Many times I've seen empty tables sit idle while we wait.

I grabbed the manager and asked how it has been going since the policy started and she said it was to deter people who book every meal in all four parks. What I thought was interesting was her no show rates went from 30% to 5%.

I can't imagine regular restaurants have to deal with such high no show rates.

Can you pay cash for your bill and deduct $10 for each person that was seated late :lmao: since Disney didn't do their part.:rolleyes1

In their view, Disney did do their part, the guests were seated. An ADR does not guarante a specific time, it only guarantees you will get the next table available for your party size. Though I do think if they are running way behind seating guests that those guests should be allowed to leave without penalty.

In their view, Disney did do their part, the guests were seated. An ADR does not guarantee a specific time, it only guarantees you will get the next table available for your party size. Though I do think if they are running way behind seating guests that those guests should be allowed to leave without penalty.

I beg to differ with the first part of what you say. Technically, you are correct (and I think you actually only meant this in a technical sense) - but guest experience is also important.

Waiting an hour past your ADR- is no fun.

In my opinion, Disney is not doing their part.

I beg to differ with the first part of what you say. Technically, you are correct (and I think you actually only meant this in a technical sense) - but guest experience is also important.

Waiting an hour past your ADR- is no fun.

In my opinion, Disney is not doing their part.

I did only mean it in the technical sense. I think many posters believe an ADR guarantees them a time slot for their meal. Which it doesn't.

I also think that the Crystal Palace runs behind pretty darned often. Which means that Disney either needs to find a way to speed things up a bit, or they need to accept fewer ADRs. Until they do either of those things, the wait times will get longer and longer as the day goes on.

The reason California Grill had a credit card hold to start with was because when they first decided to close the restaurant to the public because of the influx of guests who were only coming up to see the fireworks, they decided it would be open only to guests who had reservations (or walk-ins who wanted a table if they had them available). But people were making reservations, going up to the restaurant, watching the fireworks and leaving without ordering anything. So they were charging the fee to guests who showed up for their ADR but didn't actually order meals.

Not sure if there was a problem with guests booking early breakfast inside the parks and then getting in and not appearing at the breakfast because all they wanted was to get into the park to get a jump on rope drop.

But I do think they should waive the fee if the party has been waiting for their table for an hour or more.

Just curious if anyone has been charged for only a partial party at a CCG restaurant (not including CRT or Akershus)? I know there was lots of speculation about this but not sure if it has happened yet...(may need to wait until spring for the full CCG effect...)

We're back from our second trip where the new policy is in place and I have to say I rather like it.

Not only was I able to book Le Cellier at a reasonable time but when we went there were minimal waits.

Many times I've seen empty tables sit idle while we wait.

I grabbed the manager and asked how it has been going since the policy started and she said it was to deter people who book every meal in all four parks. What I thought was interesting was her no show rates went from 30% to 5%. I can't imagine regular restaurants have to deal with such high no show rates.

All along throughout this monster of a thread, I argued that reducing the no-show rates was the key factor in Disney's implementing this policy - although, somehow, many others felt that the no-show rates couldn't be that high. Getting those rates down to a reasonable range allows them to operate much more efficiently and that should result in a better overall experience for all involved.

I haven't read this whole thread, but had to say, this policy has caught me completely off guard! We had a WDW trip booked for January that had to be cancelled due to work schedules, but had not gotten to the point of making dining reservations. I noticed the references to this policy on other threads and headed over to get the scoop.:confused:

I'm not happy with this policy change. Disney says it isn't a true "reservation" but rather a place holder for next available table - then makes you guarantee this "non reservation" with a cc and 24-hour cancellation penalty?! And being told you can't leave without penalty if you DO make it to your AR and find they are way behind schedule?! Not cool.

We have made reservations for several meals a day for years now, due in large part to the number of restaurants that are booked up months in advance. We usually make it to all of our ARs, but sometimes cancel or switch on the fly, as things come up. Sounds like that is a thing of the past, which means we'll likely not make any Signature or character reservations now. I'm not willing to take the chance we'll have to pay the penalty if we have an unexpected change in plans (for whatever reason). We often eat at Cali Grill, and I am always aware that we need to make a cancellation early - I can't take that anxiety for nearly every meal of the trip.:eek:

Even though we make it to most of our ARs, I can't fault any who make them and don't show. Disney has created this monster, in my opinion, by pushing the DDP to the point everyone feels they HAVE to make dining plans months in advance. No one wants to get caught having to forfeit credits due to being shut out of TS dining options.

I did read several posters who stated they had no problems cancelling dining while onsite. I'm glad you did not; we have had many problems on numerous trips. I've had internet issues in the room; waited for over 30 minutes after pushing the "dining" button on our in-room phone; had no answer or a busy signal when calling from the parks; had to stand in a long line at the concierge desk. To me, all of this is a problem, as it eats into our vacation time.

Btw this and now the FP enforcement thing they are talking about, I am getting really frustrated. We had touring WDW down to a science and now they are changing the rules, and not for the better, imho!

The Fast Pass rule doesn't bother me at all, as we have never used one outside of the window stated on the ticket. I don't think anyone who did was immoral, we just never bothered. I also am really liking this change to the ADRs, as it has opened up a whole new world for us. Now I don't have to scramble and panic about making all my ADRs at 180 days out. We are going in a couple of weeks and I have been able to make changes to our ADRs. That would never have been possible before.

The new policy seems to be keeping people from booking ADRs just in case, or making tons of them they don't really want. And to me, that is a great thing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter