New Back Entrance to DCA?

What is VGC?
Villas at Grand Californian. The wing of Grand Cal that is DVC (Disney Vacation Club). DVC is a bit of a rarity on the West Coast - only at Grand Cal and Aulani in Hawaii. But they are opening a dedicated DVC only tower next year of 300 units - Villas at Disneyland Hotel (currently up to about the 6th floor of 12).

Villas at Grand Californian. The wing of Grand Cal that is DVC (Disney Vacation Club). DVC is a bit of a rarity on the West Coast - only at Grand Cal and Aulani in Hawaii. But they are opening a dedicated DVC only tower next year of 300 units - Villas at Disneyland Hotel (currently up to about the 6th floor of 12).
That's what I thought but my brain wasn't making the connection.

So you were able to use the entrance too?

not there - just arm-chair enjoying the conversation from near Seattle. We are at VGC next on August 7th. Can't wait!
Ope! Asked the wrong person. Some folks are wondering if using it to exit the parks is limited to PPH guests.

I'm trying to figure out in my brian as a DLH guest if being able to use this to exit is at all helpful..

We’re staying at VGC and just used the new back entrance this afternoon, 6/11. They were checking room keys for both exit and entry through the gate.
So they were just checking keys to see that you were 'onsite' guests? Sounds as if it's not restricted to PPH guests then.

Wonder if that's because DGC is (from what I could see from the video) 'connected' to the pathway or if they'll let DLH guests use it too.

So they were just checking keys to see that you were 'onsite' guests? Sounds as if it's not restricted to PPH guests then.

Wonder if that's because DGC is (from what I could see from the video) 'connected' to the pathway or if they'll let DLH guests use it too.
That would be wonderful if Disneyland Hotel guests could use it, too.

That would be wonderful if Disneyland Hotel guests could use it, too.
I agree. Both PPH and DLH guests can use the DGC entrance/exit either thru the DTD entrance or (from what I hear) sometimes even being allowed in thru the front doors. Seems fair that the favor is 'returned' for DGC guests. And DHL guests, too, to keep a level playing field.

It's too bad the signage doesn't say "For guests of Disney Resort Hotels" rather than "PPH only". If, that is, all three hotels can use the new gate. But it could be one of those 'depends on the CM' things, like using the DGC front door.

That key control isn't going to work well when it's busy. People aren't going to slam the gate behind them, to prevent tailgating.
Yeah I agree, but there isn’t much over there, except possibly the hotels down on Katella. I personally wouldn’t risk getting turned around and would just proceed to DtD/Harbor directly, but some folks might try.
Ope! Asked the wrong person. Some folks are wondering if using it to exit the parks is limited to PPH guests.

I'm trying to figure out in my brian as a DLH guest if being able to use this to exit is at all helpful..
I think it would be, you can pretty much walk in almost a direct diagonal from DCA Pixar Pier to DLH instead of making a giant U through DtD.

We’re staying at VGC and just used the new back entrance this afternoon, 6/11. They were checking room keys for both exit and entry through the gate.

When checking keys, sounds like they weren’t making guests press “show my room number” to prove PPH status.

I would personally feel funny revealing my room number to anyone, and I’m not a single female, either.

7945EDCC-1D8D-4844-8859-09FA5920929B.jpeg48DCAF36-24C4-428F-A3BF-C38BA2CB1CEB.png

I agree. Both PPH and DLH guests can use the DGC entrance/exit either thru the DTD entrance or (from what I hear) sometimes even being allowed in thru the front doors. Seems fair that the favor is 'returned' for DGC guests. And DHL guests, too, to keep a level playing field.

It's too bad the signage doesn't say "For guests of Disney Resort Hotels" rather than "PPH only". If, that is, all three hotels can use the new gate. But it could be one of those 'depends on the CM' things, like using the DGC front door.

Yeah, the exit signage here differs from the GCH exit next to Grizzly River Run. However, I’ve had to show my GCH/VGC key at that entrance before, but only late in the evening (rare event, though).

But I showed the hotel key on the phone in my above post - the only way to show you are a PPH guest is to reveal your room number to the CM.

They should just make all hotel entrances and exit gates open to all resort guests, would greatly simplify things. Seems to be that way already on a de facto basis.

Yeah I agree, but there isn’t much over there, except possibly the hotels down on Katella. I personally wouldn’t risk getting turned around and would just proceed to DtD/Harbor directly, but some folks might try.

I think it would be, you can pretty much walk in almost a direct diagonal from DCA Pixar Pier to DLH instead of making a giant U through DtD.

When checking keys, sounds like they weren’t making guests press “show my room number” to prove PPH status.

I would personally feel funny revealing my room number to anyone, and I’m not a single female, either.

View attachment 675646View attachment 675647

If going from a hotel on Katella to Pixar Pier, the PP entrance could save like 15 minutes of walking so in my opinion, the cost of being turned down is relatively minor compared to the cost of not trying. Of course, the Grand Californian entrance is also an option if the Paradise Pier entrance doesn't work out.

This is great news. I feel that VGC just got a little better as this will be a great way to get out of the park and to the room if the kiddos (or adults) need a break. Hopefully we can get a confirmation if this is just a depends on the CM thing.

Another thought would be that with the construction of VDH they will allow that tower and others on the south end of the resort hotels to use this as it would be another perk to sell that DVC tower to prospective clients. I could see them saying “look you get two extra entrances to California Adventure” :)

Sorry if this has been addressed, but has anyone actually used a DLH or DCG 'key' at the main entrance gate (pictured above) to enter the new pathway from 'the street'?

Wow, Disney, thanks for destroying the VGC south-facing rooms. Now the guests on the first floor get a great view from the patio of a bush a few feet away and noise from the PP guests going to and from PP. :mad:

This is great news. I feel that VGC just got a little better as this will be a great way to get out of the park and to the room if the kiddos (or adults) need a break. Hopefully we can get a confirmation if this is just a depends on the CM thing.

Another thought would be that with the construction of VDH they will allow that tower and others on the south end of the resort hotels to use this as it would be another perk to sell that DVC tower to prospective clients. I could see them saying “look you get two extra entrances to California Adventure” :)

Were you able to enter and exit by staying at VGC in this new location? We are headed there in July and wondering if we can use it to exit the park.

I am staying at VGC and then 3 nights at DL Hotel in September, and would like the option to use this for DL Hotel, if it was convienient to me (if heading for DCA or leaving DCA) to avoid the congestion of DD. Yes we sometimes also go thru GC to exit but this looks quicker.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter