Need to vent about how expensive WDW is now

No, but park passes are about 100 dollars a day.

Annual passes are 90

So if you are planing on 150 per person per day. That is 60 dollars for food, airfare, and accommodations……

Not sure how that works, or if it works at all….
I know this was written in November and I'm not sure what dates you are thinking off. I just recently bought child passes for three days during the week of March 25, 2024 and the cost per day was $161 per day. Not a hopper, one park per day. Blew my mind but that's when my grands are off school. We will be there for a total of 6 nights, staying DVC at VGF and AKV Club.

This morning I was trying to get some agreement on dining. That went south quickly. Still, I think I'll book one dinner at a restaurant a few of us enjoy, and just go quick service or off site since we have a car.

I could spend the money and book meals and afford to pay for them. I won't, when the kids' prices at some spots are maybe $39 before tax and tip and they get the equivalent of a counter service meal.

Also, genie or LL, if the others want those, they can do it for themselves. Again, I won't.

I'm fortunate in that the 7 and 8 year old will be happy even if they just get to swim!

I know this was written in November and I'm not sure what dates you are thinking off. I just recently bought child passes for three days during the week of March 25, 2024 and the cost per day was $161 per day. Not a hopper, one park per day. Blew my mind but that's when my grands are off school. We will be there for a total of 6 nights, staying DVC at VGF and AKV Club.

This morning I was trying to get some agreement on dining. That went south quickly. Still, I think I'll book one dinner at a restaurant a few of us enjoy, and just go quick service or off site since we have a car.

I could spend the money and book meals and afford to pay for them. I won't, when the kids' prices at some spots are maybe $39 before tax and tip and they get the equivalent of a counter service meal.

Also, genie or LL, if the others want those, they can do it for themselves. Again, I won't.

I'm fortunate in that the 7 and 8 year old will be happy even if they just get to swim!
To be fair 100 dollars per day is for 10 day tickets.

Disney front loads the park pass prices….

i also can’t follow you on the kids meal prices, but to me, having to drive off property has a cost,
‘to us it is not worth it

To be fair 100 dollars per day is for 10 day tickets.

Disney front loads the park pass prices….

i also can’t follow you on the kids meal prices, but to me, having to drive off property has a cost,
‘to us it is not worth it
Yes, I know. I debated on getting a ticket for every day we would be there for the kids. The reality is that it's not a once in a lifetime trip for my family. I already know that both of them will be ready to leave the parks after a couple of rides in a couple of hours.

The meal thing....they will want chicken strips or nuggets, mac and cheese, and fries. Might as well go with quick service dining in the parks.

Offsite dining - since they have 3 park days, we can plan other activities and eat while we are out and about. It's what we do when we go to Florida and Disney. I have a car and I'm very familiar with getting around. For us it's not all about Disney Parks, even though I have DVC, and that's probably why there was no consensus on planning dining during our park days.

Oh, our kids like “kid food” too
but when they sit down a “fancy” restaurant they seem to eat every thing on the plate

oh well, what ever makes your trip fun

When Walt Disney World was first opened in 1971 it was considered the top vacation destination for families and even made Orlando the top city in Florida that was family-friendly. And if you grew up during the 70's-80's and 90's you probably dreamed of going to Walt Disney World just because you would see the countless commercials shown on TV. But if you take a comparison of a Walt Disney World vacation from "let's say the 90's" to a Walt Disney World vacation today you'll notice that the 90's ticket prices for the Walt Disney World theme parks were cheaper and a vacation was easier to plan in the 90's. If you noticed why Walt Disney World vacations have become expensive today it's because they had added so many changes to planning that it has become harder to plan a Walt Disney World vacation. Take for instance they added Genie+ and the park hopping rules and not to mention the extra advantages like Magic Hours and Photopass photos with characters and Chase Visa exclusive character meet and greet designed exclusively for Chase Visa Cardholders. But what I think makes the trips more expensive is things like character breakfasts and the food and the restaurants. And I cannot believe how families spend so much money on character breakfasts when they go when they can easily spot characters in the parks by waiting in line. Another thing that makes a Walt Disney World trip expensive is the prices for rooms at the resorts because just because kids want to stay in a resort with animals like Animal Kingdom Lodge or if you have a Princess-crazy little girl who wants a Princess themed room at Port Orleans Resort. And as many travel books say such as Birnbaum's when you want to save money at Walt Disney World it is usually better to stay at off-site hotels like Embassy Suites or Marriott's because the deals are better and many of those hotels offer free shuttle service to the parks. But what people need to realize that there are other things to see and do in Florida and other theme parks to visit besides Walt Disney World. Such as a beach vacation in Daytona Beach where also if you have racing fans you can take a tour of the Daytona International Raceway and for the adults a trip to Miami is excellent and if the kids like animals you can visit Sea World or drive to Kennedy Space Center if you have space obsessed kids

Oh, our kids like “kid food” too
but when they sit down a “fancy” restaurant they seem to eat every thing on the plate

<whatever makes YOUR trip fun>

Key word there! I think we often throw a certain amount of judgement at others because it's 'not how WE like it.'

Sometimes that may also snowball into people wanting to follow the big tips to have a vacation like someone else.

My next trip in two weeks is focused on meeting up with some family members that I haven't seen since 2020, since Disney closed down and sent us all home. I've been back 4 or 5 times but this is the first trip for them since 2020.

I'll forego 'my' way to join in with some of their plans, and I've already doubled my trip to match the time we will have.
We will all enjoy being together and I may not even go into the parks once they arrive. The younger people in their party will do parks while the older people (my age) will probably walk around the lake and enjoy people watching and bird watching and just being together after 4 years.

5-6 weeks later I'll be there on another family trip, which will be quite different. My grands and my DD's will be joining me. That means some parks, swimming and offsite trips, what this group likes.

Will still use our DVC for rooms as it's there and paid for and quality is somewhat consistent. On some of my other 'not Disney' trips elsewhere, the cost is over $500 a night so we are pretty much expecting Disney prices. Plus, I'm older and I've been told I can't take it with me!

It matters not a whit to me if I ever get on a ride, but it's important to others. Well maybe it matters to get on Jungle Cruise or Haunted Mansion or Safari in AK, as I've been known to wait 30-40 minutes for those recently (my early December trip). But doesn't matter enough to spend money for Genie/LL.

Last edited:
<whatever makes YOUR trip fun>

Key word there! I think we often throw a certain amount of judgement at others because it's 'not how WE like it.'

Sometimes that may also snowball into people wanting to follow the big tips to have a vacation like someone else.

My next trip in two weeks is focused on meeting up with some family members that I haven't seen since 2020, since Disney closed down and sent us all home. I've been back 4 or 5 times but this is the first trip for them since 2020.

I'll forego 'my' way to join in with some of their plans, and I've already doubled my trip to match the time we will have.
We will all enjoy being together and I may not even go into the parks once they arrive. The younger people in their party will do parks while the older people (my age) will probably walk around the lake and enjoy people watching and bird watching and just being together after 4 years.

5-6 weeks later I'll be there on another family trip, which will be quite different. My grands and my DD's will be joining me. That means some parks, swimming and offsite trips, what this group likes.

Will still use our DVC for rooms as it's there and paid for and quality is somewhat consistent. On some of my other 'not Disney' trips elsewhere, the cost is over $500 a night so we are pretty much expecting Disney prices. Plus, I'm older and I've been told I can't take it with me!

It matters not a whit to me if I ever get on a ride, but it's important to others. Well maybe it matters to get on Jungle Cruise or Haunted Mansion or Safari in AK, as I've been known to wait 30-40 minutes for those recently (my early December trip). But doesn't matter enough to spend money for Genie/LL.
I WAS NOT THROWING ANYTHING OR JUDGING ANYONE! ARE YOU?

I was distinguishing my family from others and clearly stated, as you pointed out, whatever makes your trip fun...

I just recently bought child passes for three days during the week of March 25, 2024 and the cost per day was $161 per day. Not a hopper, one park per day. Blew my mind but that's when my grands are off school.
Wow yeah, these ticket prices stun. Adding day 4 or 5 is still over $100/day avg - before hopper or Genie/ILL.

Enjoy your trip! It’s bound to be fun with the grandkids :wizard:

I was distinguishing my family from others and clearly stated, as you pointed out, whatever makes your trip fun...

Whether you meant it or not, this comment came across a little questionable as to being mean-spirited:

Sometimes it’s hard to tell on the internet. It was enough to wonder if meant casually of condescendingly.

I took it as a casual, live and let live remark. As a good attitude to have.

I know you took a little flack earlier in this thread but my intentions were good when I quoted you. I saw the remark as nonconfrontational. A good way to look at someone's trip, someone you've never met and will probably never meet.

Your reaction has surprised me.

I always try to look at Disney as other entertainment I might do.
Tickets to concerts or sporting events in my area start at a min $100 per person, for what 2 maybe 3 hours.
Food and drinks at those events are not cheaper either.
Yes we need to take into account the cost to get to Disney and the rooms, but the actually tickets for a full day of activities and entertainment, for us works. Food, we can get at all levels around, from fair priced to the extreme.
So is Disney getting expensive, absolutely, is all other activities getting equally expensive,,,,yup.
Last example,,,going to the movie theatre for 2 near us is almost $100 after tickets, food, drinks...and that is just a movie.

Wow yeah, these ticket prices stun. Adding day 4 or 5 is still over $100/day avg - before hopper or Genie/ILL.

Enjoy your trip! It’s bound to be fun with the grandkids :wizard:

Whether you meant it or not, this comment came across a little questionable as to being mean-spirited:

Sometimes it’s hard to tell on the internet. It was enough to wonder if meant casually of condescendingly.
Thank you! We will have a wonderful time!

I took the comment casually. I also try not to intentionally offend.

On the other hand, condescension goes right over my head.

And you are correct, it's hard to tell on the internet.

I took it as a casual, live and let live remark. As a good attitude to have.

I know you took a little flack earlier in this thread but my intentions were good when I quoted you. I saw the remark as nonconfrontational. A good way to look at someone's trip, someone you've never met and will probably never meet.

Your reaction has surprised me.
Well that’s good,
That’s exactly what it was,

I guess too much got lost in translations

My apologies for the caps

I always try to look at Disney as other entertainment I might do.
Tickets to concerts or sporting events in my area start at a min $100 per person, for what 2 maybe 3 hours.
Food and drinks at those events are not cheaper either.
Yes we need to take into account the cost to get to Disney and the rooms, but the actually tickets for a full day of activities and entertainment, for us works. Food, we can get at all levels around, from fair priced to the extreme.
So is Disney getting expensive, absolutely, is all other activities getting equally expensive,,,,yup.
Last example,,,going to the movie theatre for 2 near us is almost $100 after tickets, food, drinks...and that is just a movie.
Nowadays one is lucky to find concert tickets for $100. I don’t even want to say how much I just paid for Garth Brooks seats at a small venue in Vegas in October. It’s a surprise for dh for our anniversary so it’s not a regular thing for us to splurge like that.

Also hilarious when I walk into the theater with a suspiciously full backpack....don't mind me and my entire dinner. Just walking to my theater.
We did this when our kids were young. I’d bring a tote bag instead of a purse. We’d stop at 7-11 for candy and I’d microwave popcorn in advance.
Pack a few juice boxes. They were content.
Now that our theaters have recliners, I know I’d be snoring as soon as the lights dim. Maybe sooner. I can nap at home for free.

Nowadays one is lucky to find concert tickets for $100. I don’t even want to say how much I just paid for Garth Brooks seats at a small venue in Vegas in October. It’s a surprise for dh for our anniversary so it’s not a regular thing for us to splurge like that.
That will be worth every penny!!!

OP: I empathize on this "moving target" we call pricing these days. Especially as WDW reduces value or benefits in so many areas, even as they jack up the prices - so it's doubly annoying.

While this isn't directly relevant to vacation budgeting frustrations - I'd take 38% over what I'm dealing with the past 2 years. Home insurance: 70% increase (thousands more) for a tiny starter home. Auto Insurance 50% higher. (Zero claims or changes on either - shopped around w/no luck.) Higher health insurance deductible + premiums for LESS coverage. We all know about food costs. :crazy2:

Annual "raises" in our household run 2-3%. Discouraging, for sure.
I’m feeling lucky at the moment…. My home insurance price hasn’t changed, car insurance went up 2%, and I’m actually get more health insurance coverage for the same price this year. My food costs were up, but the stuff I buy has almost all come back down to the same prices I was paying a couple years ago. Though a loaf of bread and a box of cake mix are still too high, IMO.

I agree that Disney prices are still up though. The discounted price on a value room is still more than the price was without a discount just a few years ago.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter