Need to bring cash?

Lincolnshire

Mouseketeer
We are headed to WDW for the first time as a family in 4 weeks and I'm wondering if I should have cash in the parks? What would we need to pay cash for? How much would you expect to spend (cash or otherwise) in the parks each day outside of meals?

A lot depends on your plans. The big question is, are you staying on or off property? If you are at a Disney hotel, pretty much everything can link back to your credit card via magic band or hotel keycard, so cash needs are minimal. If you are off property, it might be easier to have cash for some of the quick service food places (although I think just about everywhere in Disney takes a credit card). I personally always feel better having some real cash in hand when traveling, no matter where I go, just in case there is some problem.

Last trip we were unable to use our cards/bands one day at the vendor carts because the system was down and if you buy a balloon you need cash so I would definitely bring some cash with

We always stay on-site and charge back to our room, but I always make sure my husband and I have some cash on hand. A lot of times, it's just easier to buy a drink or a box of popcorn with cash. We don't carry a lot, maybe $20-30 each, but it's good to have.

We mostly charged to our room (stayed on-site) but I do agree that you might want to bring a little cash. For us, the only time it was an issue was when we went to buy light up toys for the fireworks at MK, need cash. That is the only time we needed cash but you just never know.

We usually have free QS dining. One year we had a few errors where the snack was charged to our visa instead of a snack credit. So now I don't link my visa to our magic bands/cards. I carry a visa and some cash as well. If my child want to go off and buy something, I can give cash. I am planing on giving our kids a gift card this year for their spending, so we will see how that goes.

We carried gc's and small amount of cash. No charging for us. We used our cash until the last day for extra snacks. Our gc were our spend money for souvenirs other than that we really didn't need money.

We are on site and don't have the dining plan, plus my kids are too young to do any real shopping- son is 2 years and daughter is 4 months. So do the snack carts all charge the magic band? I wouldn't want to get stuck with no way to pay for a Mickey bar!

There isn't really such a thing as an independent vendor in WDW. I'm pretty certain they all take magic bands.

There isn't really such a thing as an independent vendor in WDW. I'm pretty certain they all take magic bands.

The balloons definitely didn't in April and I believe someone said the same thing about the light up toys

except at downtown Disney.. I know the churro cart (my favorite spot) ;) takes cash only :)

we usually carry a $20.00 for a taxi ride just in case it is needed and then another $40.00 just in case the band doesnt work for some reason, but that has never happened.. except at the DTD churro cart ;)

yes, you need cash, and a credit card. there are some kiosks that don't take cash, and apparently there is a limit to how much you can put on your magic band.. as we found out at bibbity bopity boutique..while I'm frantically trying to call my husband for him to get there with his credit card, cause I wasn't carrying mine!! OOPS!

We never used any but I think my husband had some in his wallet. He also had all of his credit cards.

A small amount of cash is always a good idea. I've twice run into kiosks that were having computer problems, and could only take cash payments.

To the poster who ran into the magic band limit problem, the limit you have depends on the level of resort you are staying at. The value resorts have a limit of $500, the moderates are $1000, and I believe the deluxe resorts have a $1500 limit. At that point your charges are rolled onto your credit card.

I usually have $20 with me and it usually stays in my wallet (with my Disney Visa in case of purchases over $50 at stores that may give me a discount) for the whole week. I wouldn't NOT carry it, just in case, but I've never needed it.

The walk around vendors at Fantasmic have historically been cash only as well. $3 cotton candy/popcorn. $5.50 caramel corn buckets. And soda/water bottles $2-2.50. It's been a while for the prices but that what I remember them at.

The one time we linked our cards to our room we ran into BIG issues. Once bitten, twice shy.

So, all we carry is cash and a credit card. No linking. Usually have about $70 each day, and then supplement about $30 a day on the card.

A small amount of cash is always a good idea. I've twice run into kiosks that were having computer problems, and could only take cash payments.

To the poster who ran into the magic band limit problem, the limit you have depends on the level of resort you are staying at. The value resorts have a limit of $500, the moderates are $1000, and I believe the deluxe resorts have a $1500 limit. At that point your charges are rolled onto your credit card.

We were staying at Saratoga Springs..but we hit the limit at $500 (between the 4 of us, it happened fairly quickly)..they said we could have called someone to have it fixed, but it was insane in there (BBB and it was just easier to get my husband to bring his credit card over) I just wished they had told us there was a limit in the first place.. we had no idea!

I had no idea there was a limit either! You would think Disney would mention that. We are staying at WL though so it sounds like the limit would be much higher than what we would ever spend in a day. Still I think I will take a credit card and a couple $20s just in case.

I had no idea there was a limit either! You would think Disney would mention that. We are staying at WL though so it sounds like the limit would be much higher than what we would ever spend in a day. Still I think I will take a credit card and a couple $20s just in case.

I'm pretty sure it is in the welcome packet they give you. And they (usually) tell you when you are checking in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter