Need help picking a resort

Darcy03231

DIS Veteran
I've been to WDW many times staying all levels of resorts. DH did the first trip 27 years ago and said never again. He hated everything about it - crowds, lines, etc.

However, this year he wants to go back solely to see Pandora/Avatar & Star Wars. We're doing a cruise the end of August, so rather than make a special trip just to see those two things (we live in NE) I want to add a couple of days on to the end of our cruise to go to WDW and just do AK and HS. I plan to get 2-day park hoppers so we can go into other parks if he decides there's something else he wants to see while we're there. Since I've pretty much seen/done pretty much everything, including tours, I want to tailor this trip around what he wants, even if it ends up being just those two things and then time back at the resort pool.

Since I'm hoping to maybe get him to go back again, I want to book one of the deluxe resorts. Thinking Animal Kingdom Lodge (I've never stayed there). I checked Yacht Club, but it's being refurbished during our dates.

Any other ideas. Looking for something that will be close to either AK or HS.

AKL might be your best bet for closeness. Another suggestion might be SSR for the closeness to Disney Springs if you think he might like the food there. If he is like husband he loved the food but don't ask him to go shopping.

Any of the Epcot resorts will be close to HS. YC is my favorite but I don't hesitate to stay in any of the three according to which one is available and which one is less. Don't rule out Swan/Dolphin. Yes, they are convention resorts and not big on the WDW theming but they tend to have bigger rooms than the WDW (even deluxe) resorts, have good food options and again are in walking distance. They do not have MDE and you can not charge to them from the parks. AKL is a beautiful resort and again, not a bad choice.

If he really hated crowds and lines, I would recommend either AKL or Saratoga/Old Key West. While you'd need to bus over to parks, they're quiet resorts and they're removed from a lot of the noise.

We stayed at OKW and it was lovely for a quiet vacation. If your husband does not love the hustle and bustle of Disney, I would highly recommend OKW or SSR.

BC/YC are great for the location, but they are very central and can be crowded. AKV is great too, but a bit out of the way.

You could also look at Swan/Dolphin for location near HS. They aren't Disney properties per se, but they do often run some really good deals and also do not feel as Disney. The food options are great there as well.

Thanks for all the replies. I don't think we'll have a car, or if we do it will only be to drive from Miami to WDW. I plan to use WDW transportation to get around the parks and ME to get back to the airport. I just want to pick a quieter resort. I'm just thrilled that he wants to go and I want to make sure the trip goes as well as possible.

You do realize that there really isn't that much for star wars yet. Star Tours, fireworks if they are still doing them and launch bay.
That being said I would go with AKL.

You do realize that there really isn't that much for star wars yet. Star Tours, fireworks if they are still doing them and launch bay.
That being said I would go with AKL.

Yes, I know that. I just figured since we're going to be there anyway he'd enjoy what's there. I brought it up, so now he wants to see it. I also know that once we're in the park he'd like ToT and RnR. Same with AK. Once we're in the park I know he'll like Dinosaur, Kali and EE. I plan to schedule fast-passes in advance for whatever I can so there shouldn't be long lines. So far the hardest thing, getting him there is the first place, is accomplished! I'm definitely going to take my cues from him though. If we just do Pandora/Avatar and Star Tours and he decides he's done that's fine.

And Piglet, I definitely won't ask him to go shopping!

CSR will have the shortest travel times to both AK and DHS. It's a moderate, but it's spectacularly pretty with an awesome pool.

Beach Club. Connected to Yacht Club and shares the same super-awesome pool. We are in sort of the same boat - planning an early November trip to Disney and Yacht Club has very limited availability due to the refurb so we are going to stay at Beach Club. Animal Kingdom Lodge is very nice but lacks the convenient location of the other deluxe resorts. For example, it is close to Animal Kingdom but not walkable. Pool isn't near as nice as the one at Beach Club.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter