Need Advice - Flying with almost 4 year old

AdventurerKat

<font color=FF99FF>Cries in her Jello shots<br><fo
Here is my dilemma. I am taking my son down for Halloween. We now have non-stop flights from Seattle, one in the morning at 8:45 on the way down and the return is around 5:30 getting back to Seattle around 9:00.

The flight down is about 5.5 hours, the flight back about 6.5. I don't know if I am better off doing it this way or taking a flight on another airline with a break inbetween so he can get off the plane, stretch, whatever. Also, with the 9:00 arrival for our return flight, I think we probably would not get home til around 11:30 or so when we get back.

What do you think would be better? I keep going back and forth on this. We could get better flight times with the ones that are not non-stop but I don't know what the best way to go is. This is our first time flying alone together (without my husband, you know take turns with the entertaining) so I don't know what to expect.

Any advice?

My gut reaction is to try and do it all direct. I've done the 5 hour flights direct with my 3.5 year old, and I do anything to avoid the connections. Once you get off the plane, the LAST thing they want to do is get back on. If you fly direct, once you get off, you're off.

Bring snacks, toys & other goodies (can you borrow a portable dvd player?) and hope he sleeps. ;-)
(yeah right...not if he's like my buddies!)

Laura DS4, DS2.5

I would definitely stick with the non-stop flight. I do not think that it is any easier to keep track of my DDs in the airport than the plane (LOL). Deplaning, moving gates, waiting for boarding, etc. is no fun to me.

Try to see what type of plane you are taking. On a 777 there is always plenty of room for the kids to move around in the galley and different sections of the plane. On a 737/757 it is hard because there is only one aisle and you block traffic.

The timing might be hard because it is the middle of the day. Sometimes kids will sleep on a red-eye flight. A little dramamine goes a long way ;)

Relax and have a good flight. Most people have kids anyway, especially on a flight to Orlando. I used to get really self concious, but because of the airplane noise you really only hear kids two or three seats away and that is when they are yelling.

I would go with direct, nothing worse than getting off a plane, hanging around an airport for an hour or two and then getting on an other one. Kids or no kids.

My dd has flown from the UK to Orlando twice, at 3.5 and 4.5 it's about a 9 hour flight for us, and she has been great on both trips, I really think your son will surprise you. We take a walkman with headphones and music and story tapes and that keeps her really well occupied. I wouldn't really expect him to sleep on the return flight, even though it's past his bedtime, it's just too exciting on a plane, but I would bet he will zonk out once he's in the car and you are driving back from the airport.

We fly back over night, leaving Orlando around 8pm and getting back to the UK around 7am (the time difference makes it a longer night, whereas it works the other way for you), and she has a very hard time sleeping on the flight, usually only gets an hour or two, but once she gets home she will sleep for a good few hours and then she will be back to normal.

Bev

Thanks for the help. I knew everyone here would have some good advice. I do have a laptop so he can watch movies on that.

I am going to pick those tickets up at lunch time! :)

I fly with my almost 4 yr old and wish we could get non stops. The stop in between just makes a longer day. Chances are your son will nap on the plane. Have fun!

I'd go nonstop.

(1) It's one less trip up and down for ears to pop.
(2) You stand a better chance with naps. I had the unhappy experience of converting a lovely napping girl on the first leg to a party girl on the next leg. It was late.
(3) The nonstop trip will be shorter... who KNOWS how long your layover will be! and
(4) The flight times seem to suit your schedule better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter