Need a new credit card recomme

Ok. My bad. They used to.

You are 1/3 correct. The $149 priority card which is relatively new has no foreign transaction fees.

The $69 Rapid Rewards Plus charges 3% foreign transaction fee.
The $99 Rapid Rewards Premier has no foreign transaction fees.

You are 1/3 correct. The $149 priority card which is relatively new has no foreign transaction fees.

The $69 Rapid Rewards Plus charges 3% foreign transaction fee.
The $99 Rapid Rewards Premier has no foreign transaction fees.
:thumbsup2
My last post has a link to the comparison chart. I had the plus card. I never knew the more expensive cards had no foreign fees but that still won't sway me away from the versatility of the Chase Sapphire card. I like how easy it is to earn double points which we rarely did when we had the SW card.

We have the Chase Southwest Card that we use for everyday spending and pay off each month. Having this card takes care of flights for our entire family at least once a year sometimes more depending on destination. Of course we normally use it for our Disney trips.

I've been thinking about Chase Sapphire Reserve. Much Higher Annual Fee but you get $350 travel voucher each year and more points per dollar spent. Their points can be traded for SW Rapid Rewards, point for point so it gives us more options on how we spend our points than just SW.

what is a good interest rate these days? Thought my Chase Disney was high. Called to see if they would lower and they said no. Said I was going to cancel and they said okay. We have 14.24% rate.

Compared to getting a new card in the marketplace, your 14.24% is very good. If you get a new Disney VISA today, your rate would be 15.99%. Most issuers, the best price they're offering is 13.99% or even higher except Discover which is going as low as 11.99%. So while Prime rate dropped, almost everyone increased the margin to compensate and land at a similar or higher rate than with the higher Prime rate.

So it certainly doesn't hurt to ask about lowering rates (and I appreciate you wanting to get the best pricing; I do too!), but you won't do better by closing and getting a new card.

Mine was Expedia too. I booked a trip before COVID. I tried to contact them 53 times to cancel and couldn’t get through on the phone, website, or app. I called the hotel directly and they cancelled the stay and refunded back to Expedia, but Expedia refuses to refund me. Capital One said I booked through Expedia and they didn’t have to refund me. I’m sooo done with Expedia. They stole $718 from me.

This is not an uncommon story. The travel section of our newspaper is filled with reports of travel reservations gone bad. 99% of the time it is from people who used the 3rd party booking agencies. Never use them. Always book direct with the airline or hotel.

Why do people make such a big deal about the no foreign transaction fees? How much are most of you spending on foreign transaction fees?

what is a good interest rate these days? Thought my Chase Disney was high. Called to see if they would lower and they said no. Said I was going to cancel and they said okay. We have 14.24% rate.

Discover IT cash back might be a good choice. Basically your best bet if you are going to carry a balance is to use the promo 0% offers.

Why do people make such a big deal about the no foreign transaction fees? How much are most of you spending on foreign transaction fees?

Well - for us, when we visited my folks, while we didn't use it for a hotel or anything, we used it for groceries, taxi sometimes, restaurants, if we rented a boat for the week or two weeks we were down there. It adds up, especially if you are somewhere where everything is imported.
In Europe we spent a fair bit on dining out and some souvenirs, as well as settling our final bill during our stay.

Hey - every little bit helps, right?

Discover IT cash back might be a good choice. Basically your best bet if you are going to carry a balance is to use the promo 0% offers.

Agreed. Using the rewards cards if you are running a balance is not a good idea. You should find the card with the lowest interest rate.

Well - for us, when we visited my folks, while we didn't use it for a hotel or anything, we used it for groceries, taxi sometimes, restaurants, if we rented a boat for the week or two weeks we were down there. It adds up, especially if you are somewhere where everything is imported.
In Europe we spent a fair bit on dining out and some souvenirs, as well as settling our final bill during our stay.

Hey - every little bit helps, right?

Absolutely if you are charging thousands of dollars. It does add up then. Getting the no foreign transaction fee credit card is repeated so often that everyone thinks they need one. If you are taking a cruise in Europe buying a couple of things at port stop you don't need to worry about the fees.

This is not an uncommon story. The travel section of our newspaper is filled with reports of travel reservations gone bad. 99% of the time it is from people who used the 3rd party booking agencies. Never use them. Always book direct with the airline or hotel.
We stopped using Expedia when we went to check into our hotel, and they had no rooms available. I had already paid, and all the hotel could say was that since it was a third party, it was their problem, not the hotel's. I got a refund, but I was more angry that we were scrambling to find a hotel room at 11:00 at night.

I realize we have a credit card thread, but my post will be lost there with the 1,000+ pages.

I currently have a Capital One Venture card that I am cancelling. They screwed me on a $700 dispute and if I can’t trust them to have my back after hundreds of thousands of dollars run across their card, I will leave. So, I need recommendations for a non-Capital One card.
t

I haven’t read through this entire thread so I apologize if I repeat any information stated, But the first thing I’d advise is to never cancel a credit card with a zero annual fee. You can never use that credit card again but still take advantage of having that account on your credit history. By canceling the credit card It would not only hurt your overall credit History length score, but more importantly increase your credit card utilization percentage by essentially canceling the available credit associated with the card (assuming there was any available credit). Credit card utilization is amongst the most impactful measurements of your credit score, so the higher your available credit to debt ratio, the higher your credit scores should be. This is admittedly an oversimplification of a complex principle, but I believe the foundation is solid. If anyone has any specific questions they’d like to ask, please feel free to do so.

We have the Chase Southwest Card that we use for everyday spending and pay off each month. Having this card takes care of flights for our entire family at least once a year sometimes more depending on destination. Of course we normally use it for our Disney trips.

I've been thinking about Chase Sapphire Reserve. Much Higher Annual Fee but you get $350 travel voucher each year and more points per dollar spent. Their points can be traded for SW Rapid Rewards, point for point so it gives us more options on how we spend our points than just SW.
Yeah, I could understand the apprehension with incorporating a high annual fee credit card into my personal budget. The first things I would consider is how I could maximize the value of the credit card taking into consideration the annual fee. The most obvious would be things like companion tickets for air travel, but other lesser known equalizers would include free checked-in baggage, credits for streaming services, ride services, and airport lounge access which all apply to the overall value of the credit card in question!

Compared to getting a new card in the marketplace, your 14.24% is very good. If you get a new Disney VISA today, your rate would be 15.99%. Most issuers, the best price they're offering is 13.99% or even higher except Discover which is going as low as 11.99%. So while Prime rate dropped, almost everyone increased the margin to compensate and land at a similar or higher rate than with the higher Prime rate.

So it certainly doesn't hurt to ask about lowering rates (and I appreciate you wanting to get the best pricing; I do too!), but you won't do better by closing and getting a new card.

You might find some good rates with credit union affiliations. I have a couple of cards with Navy Federal Credit Union and the interest rate is 8.99%.

Of course, I don't worry about an interest rate number - it only comes into play if you carry a balance. Been there, done that, not going back.

I spend quite a bit using a card from one country while in another. I try not to as I have cards and banks in those places. But sometimes it can’t be helped. So I pay it.

Is this universally true? I have some chase cards and thought mine all had foreign transaction fees. I guess I better double check with them.
Chase, as far as I know only has one card that does not charge that fee. But there is a yearly fee to get that card.

I have found google the name of the card you will see the good and the bad..
We are so upset with Chase bank (disney) they have horrible customer service. As I googled/ reddit it I found I was not alone.

We applied for the Discover It card. They had to call and speak to DH (card in his name). Didn't really ask him anything but called and called until they talked to him. Then they sent email saying he was approved and card will arrive in x days. Then we got notification from usps that package was arriving on thur. Not having ordered anything, I researched around to see that the package is our Discover card. Meanwhile we got an email every day asking to fill out some IRS verification form. We weren't going to do it but, in researching, it seems if we didn't do it they would cancel the card and it would go on our credit as a negative. So we went to do form and they had our address wrong (the state). So we called in and guy said our phone number didn't show up as an account. Told him it was strange due to them having been calling on our number and he hung up on me. Called back...different number this time and got it sorted.

But they said they have to get IRS verification and then DH can call and add me to get a card for me. And we cannot activate card without DH calling in because of the waiting on verification. DH really cant and doesn't want to be bothered with these things as he works all day (on conference calls) so I always take care of these kinds of things. Hate having to get him to call in these things. What a pain and very unusual from past CC experiences where we fill out form and get approved and cards arrive in mail. Could put me on for a card on past forms and even put the balance transfers from other card. But this one didn't even have that. I guess it will come with the CC...like a check we can send to other CC??

Last edited:
We applied for the Discover It card. They had to call and speak to DH (card in his name). Didn't really ask him anything but called and called until they talked to him. Then they sent email saying he was approved and card will arrive in x days. Then we got notification from usps that package was arriving on thur. Not having ordered anything, I researched around to see that the package is our Discover card. Meanwhile we got an email every day asking to fill out some IRS verification form. We weren't going to do it but, in researching, it seems if we didn't do it they would cancel the card and it would go on our credit as a negative. So we went to do form and they had our address wrong (the state). So we called in and guy said our phone number didn't show up as an account. Told him it was strange due to them having been calling on our number and he hung up on me. Called back...different number this time and got it sorted.

But they said they have to get IRS verification and then DH can call and add me to get a card for me. And we cannot activate card without DH calling in because of the waiting on verification. DH really cant and doesn't want to be bothered with these things as he works all day (on conference calls) so I always take care of these kinds of things. Hate having to get him to call in these things. What a pain and very unusual from past CC experiences where we fill out form and get approved and cards arrive in mail. Could put me on for a card on past forms and even put the balance transfers from other card. But this one didn't even have that. I guess it will come with the CC...like a check we can send to other CC??

This all sounds very suspicious. I’ve had a lot of cc’s and never heard of checking with the IRS.
I have a Discover card and used it for BTs a few times They mail blank checks to us and also offer when you log into your account online.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter