• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My two sentence DDP Financial Analysis

I wholeheartedly agree, @Tom P. ! Bravo. I've brought up the same point, and I've seen others bring it up, too. Be prepared, "you can 'prepay' by loading up gift cards" will be said. It's not the same.

I'm glad the folks that purchase the dining plan because it's convenient do so. Disney makes money on all those guests. Any place they see a profit means one other area where they can slow raising prices. So those who buy it knowing they loose money, go for it. No skin off my nose. But any time someone asks "should I or shouldn't I" I'll point out that in most cases you will either break even or loose money. I think it's a $300 or so swing one way or the other for most guests. The important part in all of it to me is NOT changing the way or what you eat based on OOP or DP. If you have to alter what you want to eat (or where) then that skews your value even more.

And the tip can't be excluded from the formula to determine value. Especially if you do alter the way you eat with the DP. You will be paying for it out of your pocket. If you go in and order a $50 steak because it's the best value but you'd really prefer $20 chicken, and then you get the other 3 members of your party to do the same, you will have to tip on $200 instead of $80. Think that doesn't make a difference over the course of an entire trip? That can eat up that $300 savings pretty quick if it happens enough. Which is why I go back to my most important part, don't change what you order just because you have the DP, or don't.

I'm glad the folks that purchase the dining plan because it's convenient do so. Disney makes money on all those guests. Any place they see a profit means one other area where they can slow raising prices. So those who buy it knowing they loose money, go for it. No skin off my nose. But any time someone asks "should I or shouldn't I" I'll point out that in most cases you will either break even or loose money. I think it's a $300 or so swing one way or the other for most guests. The important part in all of it to me is NOT changing the way or what you eat based on OOP or DP. If you have to alter what you want to eat (or where) then that skews your value even more.
Disney makes money when you choose to buy a park hopper ticket rather than a one-park-per-day ticket because it better fits your vacation style. Disney makes money when you purchase Memory Maker instead of taking your own photos because you find it convenient. Disney makes money when you purchase the express transportation rather than going to the front of the park and waiting for the regular bus because it's worth it to you to save time. Disney makes money when you buy a Fantasmic dining package rather than waiting in line for the show because you want the reserved seating area.

I could go on and on and on, but I think the point is made. There are TONS of things we do on Disney vacations because we find them convenient that we don't necessarily have to do. There are tons of things we could change about a Disney vacation to save a few bucks. There are tons of things where Disney makes a profit out of our desire for convenience where, if we were just looking at the numbers, they probably don't make economic sense. But for some reason, folks react to the dining plan differently. That is what I don't understand. Some people see a value to the dining plan beyond simply what the menu price of the food would be if paying out of pocket. Others may think that's ridiculous. Fine. I think it's ridiculous to pay $49 for some desserts and a reserved area to view the fireworks, but it doesn't upset me when someone does the dessert party.

That's my point. And I'm not meaning you specifically, @AngiTN, as you clearly said you're fine with other people choosing to use the dining plan. I'm just talking about the general attitude that seems to pop up every time the dining plan is discussed but doesn't pop up with virtually any other Disney expenditure that gets talked about on the boards.

And the tip can't be excluded from the formula to determine value. Especially if you do alter the way you eat with the DP. You will be paying for it out of your pocket. If you go in and order a $50 steak because it's the best value but you'd really prefer $20 chicken, and then you get the other 3 members of your party to do the same, you will have to tip on $200 instead of $80. Think that doesn't make a difference over the course of an entire trip? That can eat up that $300 savings pretty quick if it happens enough. Which is why I go back to my most important part, don't change what you order just because you have the DP, or don't.
I think it's crazy to not order what you want, whether you're paying OOP or on the DDP, but I said that tipping shouldn't be figured because it's not a fixed amount, whereas what you would choose to eat has a fixed price.

Disney makes money when you choose to buy a park hopper ticket rather than a one-park-per-day ticket because it better fits your vacation style. Disney makes money when you purchase Memory Maker instead of taking your own photos because you find it convenient. Disney makes money when you purchase the express transportation rather than going to the front of the park and waiting for the regular bus because it's worth it to you to save time. Disney makes money when you buy a Fantasmic dining package rather than waiting in line for the show because you want the reserved seating area.

But those are things you're paying for that you GET something in return. When you pay for a Dining Plan, you expect to get something in return for it. Usually that means a savings. If it ends up costing more, why would you do it? If regular tickets allowed park hopping, would you buy park hoppers for MORE money when they offered no benefit? If you KNOW you are paying more by getting the dining plan but do it just so you can feel better about ordering expensive items even when it's CHEAPER to order those expensive items out of pocket is madness.

But those are things you're paying for that you GET something in return. When you pay for a Dining Plan, you expect to get something in return for it. Usually that means a savings. If it ends up costing more, why would you do it? If regular tickets allowed park hopping, would you buy park hoppers for MORE money when they offered no benefit? If you KNOW you are paying more by getting the dining plan but do it just so you can feel better about ordering expensive items even when it's CHEAPER to order those expensive items out of pocket is madness.
I got the DDP this time because I already had the summer QS meal plan and they upgraded me for a lot cheaper than if I paid out of pocket. We have done OOP as well. I can tell you this about me. When we were doing OOP, I had extreme anxiety over paying OOP I was scared to eat afraid I would go over budget(we use cash no credit cards). I was miserable. As soon as I upgraded to DDP thus trip my anxiety went away which is priceless for me.

I'm another accountant, and I did run numbers for each meal we have planned, based on what my family is likely to order (not the most expensive things, but the things we would be most likely to pick, and leaving out dessert for some meals). The plan is generally to do 2 TS meals per day and no QS (filling in with snacks if we need them), with lots of character meals and a few signatures.

Net, based on our specific plan for this trip, considering meals only (valuing the snack credits and resort mugs at $0 for purposes of the comparison) DXDP saves us something like $100, even with some "low value" meals mixed in there. So I figure that if we use even half of our snack credits, we come out a couple hundred bucks ahead over the trip.

The sad part? I enjoyed building the spreadsheet, researching prices, figuring out which meals we will share and which we will each need to order separately (character meals etc). Is the DXDP a slam dunk? no, but on balance I think it works for us for this trip.

Last edited:
Holy moley, I would never pay this much for this guy OOP, but if it's considered a snack on DDP, I think I've made my decision!

5873857_orig.jpg

When you pay for a Dining Plan, you expect to get something in return for it.

For many of us, we get a fixed price for all of our meals for our entire vacation that is paid for before we even set foot on property. We're not dealing with variables, which is important to many people who are budgeting. I suppose someone not on DDP could just grossly overestimate what they will spend on dining to ensure they can order what they want regardless of price, but at that point, why not just get the dining plan.

We buy into the Dxdp just so its one less cost we have to think about on our trip. Only thing left we pay OOP for is tips and of course all the souveniers that we accumulate during our stay. :)

Yep I agree , In all of our past trips we have gotten the deluxe dining plan (so on a bounceback offer when it was free dining, I was able to pay a fee to upgrade to the deluxe dining plan). For us we liked feeling that everything was taken care of prior to the trip, we like all inclusive whenever we go to the Caribbean. We don't go out to eat at home a lot, but when we do I'm very mindful of how much things cost. So at home I would NEVER order a cheese plate as an appetizer for $18., but on the dining plan I would). Usually at the end of our trips I would have 4 or so points left over which I converted to snacks that I brought home with us. DH and I would usually skip lunch so we would have the points to eat at a few signatures during our trip.

However, for our upcoming trip, I was not able to get the dining plan as I purchased my resort stay through airline miles rewards, not Disney.

DH and I sat down and calculated how much everything would cost. (Yep I printed all the menus for our dinner ADR's, I printed the quick service menu for Roaring Forks (for lunch and breakfast). We usually order similar items. I budgeted for snacks at the park, and included 18% gratuity & 10% tax (which I found out later is lower, about 6%).

I was surprised at my results - according to my calculations we will be saving money paying OOP. The dining plan for 5 nights would cost us 1800 and out of pocket would cost us 1500 - and I included a glass of wine for me for a few dinners - which I usually never get on the deluxe dining plan.

There are only two things that I will be doing different this trip - i'm planning on only doing one table service breakfast on our AK morning. The other mornings we are going to do a quick service breakfast in the room or cereal in the room (we are staying in a 1 bedroom villa with a full fridge and i'm going to do a garden grocer order for sports drinks, water & breakfast items) and maybe get to the parks early. On the deluxe dining plan we usually do a character breakfast which is very time consuming. Lunch will be QS poolside and dinner will be a few signatures like we usually do - narcoossees , le collier, via Napoli, crystal palace and coral reef restaurants. When I calculated our OOP total, I ordered what we normally ordered on the deluxe plan, my cheese plate appetizer, filet mignon at le cellier, lobster at narcoosees, etc. The only place I won't eat OOP is Cinderella's castle - I wasn't a fan of the new menu this August & it isn't worth the $300 OOP bill.

This will be our first trip dining OOP & it will be interesting for me to see which way I like better. I plan on doing a live report in August on the dining reviews thread and keep a tally of how much everything costs as we go! :D

Last edited:
For many of us, we get a fixed price for all of our meals for our entire vacation that is paid for before we even set foot on property. We're not dealing with variables, which is important to many people who are budgeting. I suppose someone not on DDP could just grossly overestimate what they will spend on dining to ensure they can order what they want regardless of price, but at that point, why not just get the dining plan.

If you're concerned about budgeting, then it would be worth your while to figure out if it's going to save you money, yes? If you're unsure and the odds are that it will end up costing you more, then you're not keeping within your budget. It's simpler NOT to get the dining plan and worry about points, meals, eating the most expensive items, having desserts that you may not want, etc. If you know you're going to have two meals (with entree, app, and dessert) and two snacks every day and will order the most expensive items from the menus, then you should probably get the Deluxe plan. If you want the freedom to eat what you want when you want, pay out of pocket. Those are the two sentences the OP should have written.

Let me throw out a perspective here that may perhaps be a bit different.

In all of these dining plan arguments, it's always about whether or not you're saving money by using the dining plan. And the arguments always fall out the same way. Some people insist that for their family, their dining preferences, etc., they come out saving money, and then other people come along to vehemently argue that it's almost impossible to save money on the dining plan.

You know what? I don't care. I don't buy the dining plan to save money. We buy the dining plan because we actually like the dining plan.

I like having the dining plan be a part of my overall vacation package. I like paying it off in advance. I like not thinking about it while I'm on vacation. I even just like that feeling that the vacation is "all-inclusive." For me, psychologically, that has a value. If I went and paid out of pocket every time, I would eat differently and my meals would be less enjoyable. And for those who say, "well, you could just take that same money and put it on a gift card and have the same effect," no, it wouldn't have the same effect for me. Because if it's a gift card, I know that the money I save on dinner that night is still available to be spent somewhere else. I'll still be thinking about "the numbers." I'll still find the whole experience less enjoyable. Simply put, I just want the dining plan, even if it ends up costing me more money in the long run.

Therefore, the Disney dining plan has a value to me and my family. If you don't find it to have a value for you and your family, that's fine. If you think that my reasoning for wanting it is stupid, even that is fine. What I don't understand is the people on the boards -- and, yes, there are people like this, no matter what anyone says -- who are emotionally invested in proving that the dining plan is the wrong choice and who actually get angry with people who disagree. It doesn't make any sense to me. Live and let live. Disney offers the plan because people buy it. There's obviously a demand for it or they wouldn't keep it. Let those of us who want it use it and for those of you who don't want it, Disney will happily let you pay for your meals out of pocket. What's the problem?

My DH is the same way. I have traveled twice without the DDP and he was not a fan. We are planning a trip to Aruba and the one thing he has asked is to include a resort that has an all inclusive option. I know that the jury is out on this option, but it is the only thing he has asked, so that it what we will do.

I can summarize it in one sentence ;)

I am NOT letting Disney change my eating habits and planning my dinner for me. :).

I am not a fan of DDP and would not buy it. Then again, that is just my opinion.

This! I don't like soft drinks, but I do like wine. I don't usually order dessert, but I love having an appetizer. DDP just doesn't make sense for how my family eats. Even if I'm in a "screw the prices!" mood, I'm still not going to want a dessert at QS locations and the refillable mug would be a waste for me. I'm just as happy to stock-pile gift cards leading up to the trip as a way to "pre=pay" for our meals.

If you're concerned about budgeting, then it would be worth your while to figure out if it's going to save you money, yes? If you're unsure and the odds are that it will end up costing you more, then you're not keeping within your budget. It's simpler NOT to get the dining plan and worry about points, meals, eating the most expensive items, having desserts that you may not want, etc. If you know you're going to have two meals (with entree, app, and dessert) and two snacks every day and will order the most expensive items from the menus, then you should probably get the Deluxe plan. If you want the freedom to eat what you want when you want, pay out of pocket. Those are the two sentences the OP should have written.

Someone coming up with a food budget for their trip doesn't necessarily mean they are trying to save money. In my case, I don't care about the amount - I just want to make sure I have enough money to cover all the food I want to order without holding back. The hardest part about planning a vacation that is not all inclusive is trying to somehow arbitrarily determine what amount you may spend on food for your whole family the whole time you're there, without knowing what everything costs. With the dining plan, I avoid all that entirely.

Someone coming up with a food budget for their trip doesn't necessarily mean they are trying to save money. In my case, I don't care about the amount - I just want to make sure I have enough money to cover all the food I want to order without holding back. The hardest part about planning a vacation that is not all inclusive is trying to somehow arbitrarily determine what amount you may spend on food for your whole family the whole time you're there, without knowing what everything costs. With the dining plan, I avoid all that entirely.

If you don't care about the amount but still want to budget for food, why not just budget based on the price of the deluxe plan, but pay out of pocket? The total amount you pay out of pocket will be close to the plan price and you won't have the stress of maximizing the dining plan or worry about making changes mid-trip. That would be the least stressful option of all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter