• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My two sentence DDP Financial Analysis

bwbuddy5

First trips WDW MK 1972, Epcot 1982
The way I see it, if I eat like I usually do off of a menu, perhaps bypassing what I really want for something that doesn't cost quite as much, the DDP will most always be more expensive than out of pocket.

If I instead go in with the attitude that, hey, I'm on vacation, and by golly, I'm going to order what I really want regardless of price, there's a decent chance DDP will save me money.

Make sense?

Maybe. It depends on what you order. The DDP is not designed to save money although it's possible. We never buy the DDP and order what we want. It's far simpler and no thinking needed. I would not want to spend my vacation thinking about if I'm getting my money's worth.

You are going to probably end up with dozens of answers with opinions covering the complete spectrum from "you will save money" to "no you won't".

The way I see it, if I eat like I usually do off of a menu, perhaps bypassing what I really want for something that doesn't cost quite as much, the DDP will most always be more expensive than out of pocket.

If I instead go in with the attitude that, hey, I'm on vacation, and by golly, I'm going to order what I really want regardless of price, there's a decent chance DDP will save me money.

Make sense?
That is basically how it works for us, in my experience.

Make sense?

I'm sure it makes sense for you, but not everyone. I've perused the menus enough to know that MY family can order whatever they want and it will still cost less than the DDP. But we are a family of four Disney adults, we prefer to drink water, and only two of us like desserts (and we can definitely share because one of us only wants one or two bites anyway). We also prefer QS with just one or two TS thrown in the mix.

I'm glad you found something that works for YOU and your family.

I'm sure it makes sense for you, but not everyone. I've perused the menus enough to know that MY family can order whatever they want and it will still cost less than the DDP. But we are a family of four Disney adults, we prefer to drink water, and only two of us like desserts (and we can definitely share because one of us only wants one or two bites anyway). We also prefer QS with just one or two TS thrown in the mix.

I'm glad you found something that works for YOU and your family.

This is how it is for us. We can order whatever we want, plan plenty of character meals, and still come out ahead paying OOP. But I know that isn't the case for everyone. If I buy the DDP, I might feel I need to order the more expensive items in order to make the DDP worthwhile. But sometimes, I don't feel like ordering the most expensive entree. Sometimes I don't want dessert with my meal. Sometimes I'd be happy ordering just an appetizer, or sharing an entree with my DD. I feel less encumbered when paying OOP versus buying the DDP.

Make sense?

Very little chance. In fact, if you don't maximize it, then you will most likely lose money.

Very little chance. In fact, if you don't maximize it, then you will most likely lose money.

Interesting, I actually looked at a handful of menus before I posted this. That's why I posted. I guess we have different preferences.

For me it's never worth it - sometimes I just order and appetizer, dessert and drink. Other times I just want an entree and drink.
I have the Tables In Wonderland card and love it - that is what works best for me.

I also don't do many buffet's or character meals and that's really where the DDP pays for itself.

We've been twice now and we're going again in a few weeks, and it will have saved us money all 3 times. We don't eat fancy, but it's nice to order your own dessert and not have to split/settle for the one you wouldn't normally order because you're splitting it with everyone else, ya know? But we're definitely the type of people that like to splurge on vaca, and not everyone is. I think that's mainly what it comes down to. We've gone through all the menus and picked what we would have ordered and we come out ahead on the DDP, but we also do quite a few character meals.

I think it's pointless to argue about this since everyone is different when it comes to meal preferences while on vacation. It saves some people money, and others not. THE END! :)

I have only did it once with 4 of us, and it was nice, my boys like their own desserts, and it was easy. I am going to try it again this time, Hoping for free dining which will help me really like the dining plan... ;)

I do like your thinking OP! :flower3:
For us, it comes down to convenience and affording us to eat where we want. We like to do A LOT of signature restaurants and order what we want. We do the Deluxe Dining and are late risers so we do a table service for lunch and then a Signature place for dinner. I worked the math out a long time ago on cost vs value, now we don't even worry about it and just enjoy our trip!

Interesting, I actually looked at a handful of menus before I posted this. That's why I posted. I guess we have different preferences.

Did you actually calculate what it would cost both ways? It's not a matter of preference. It's a matter of getting your money's worth. Don't assume it's cheaper. It usually isn't.

It seems like it is hard to get value out of the quick service, its not easy for the regular DDP. Deluxe is a lot easier but it requires you to eat and tour in a very specific way.

I think it's pointless to argue about this since everyone is different when it comes to meal preferences while on vacation. It saves some people money, and others not. THE END! :)

I think I'm going to come back and quote this post about every page or so.

Come on, people, we're all different. We all vacation differently. We all like different things. Why can't we just agree to disagree on this point??

I view the dining plan as just another option offered by Disney, just like tickets with multiple days versus single day versus annual passes; park hoppers versus single park passes; or resorts at different price points (value, moderate, deluxe). The DDP will work for some but not others. It's definitely not worth arguing over.

We've been twice now and we're going again in a few weeks, and it will have saved us money all 3 times. We don't eat fancy, but it's nice to order your own dessert and not have to split/settle for the one you wouldn't normally order because you're splitting it with everyone else, ya know? But we're definitely the type of people that like to splurge on vaca, and not everyone is. I think that's mainly what it comes down to. We've gone through all the menus and picked what we would have ordered and we come out ahead on the DDP, but we also do quite a few character meals.

Totally agree with this! For us Dxdp saves us money!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter