• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Tipping Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said.
Just something I've wondered (and by the way I do tip 20%, so please answer the question, it's an honest one, rather than attack me):

Olive serves my family of 4's table over at the Olive Garden a few blocks outside Disney World. The meal costs $40, I tip her $8 (20%). Her uniform was impeccable, her manners and attention were excellent, she worked hard, she deserved it.

Minnie over at Chef Mickey's also works hard serving my table. She is also impeccably dressed in her Disney uniform. Her manners and attention are excellent. Our family of 4 paid $112 for the food (my DD is 12) and tax. Her 20% tip is $22.

The 2 servers worked equally hard and provided the same service. Why should Minnie get $22 while Olive only got $8? They did the same exact job. It just seems to me that it's more equitable to tip a fixed dollar amount rather than a percentage, which is why I'd much rather see the cost of the wait staff built into my menu price than use the current system.

Just something I've wondered (and by the way I do tip 20%, so please answer the question, it's an honest one, rather than attack me):

Olive serves my family of 4's table over at the Olive Garden a few blocks outside Disney World. The meal costs $40, I tip her $8 (20%). Her uniform was impeccable, her manners and attention were excellent, she worked hard, she deserved it.

Minnie over at Chef Mickey's also works hard serving my table. She is also impeccably dressed in her Disney uniform. Her manners and attention are excellent. Our family of 4 paid $112 for the food (my DD is 12) and tax. Her 20% tip is $22.

The 2 servers worked equally hard and provided the same service. Why should Minnie get $22 while Olive only got $8? They did the same exact job. It just seems to me that it's more equitable to tip a fixed dollar amount rather than a percentage, which is why I'd much rather see the cost of the wait staff built into my menu price than use the current system.

Drives DH nuts when I try to use this logic.
On a side note: If I hand a server cash for my receipt and am asked if I need change, I most certainly do. And the tip just went down a notch. We try to pay cash whenever possible and try to have the correct amount so we don't have to wait for change. But if you ask, I am going to make you bring it. Part of that assumption attitude I don't like. If I don't need change, give me a chance to tell you.

I work in a very high end restaurant.

Not tipping appropriately is like deciding not to pay the guy mowing your lawn. If you do not tip, you are stealing, as far as I'm concerned.

It seems to me that in your "very high end restaurant " you get the very high "up nosed "treatment from you.

I think most people know this, but they use that sorry excuse as a reason to be cheap.:rolleyes1

Simple and clear: If you cannot afford to pay the tip/service charge, than you have no business going out to dinner. :thumbsup2

Perla, First I want to say that I am not meaning to single you out, only this portion of your post. There have been several other posts with similar comments but yours was just the easiest for me to get to.

About the 1st quote: I'm sure there are some ppl out there who do use this as an excuse to be cheap but there are some of us who truly do not know the "rules" for tipping in FL or in any other area away from where we live. I live in a very small rural area and have traveled very little. I have never tipped more than 15% in my home area. Now before everyone tells me how cheap I am, 15% is considered a good tip here. I have several friends who work in food services and they have all confirmed this. 10% is standard for average service and 15% is for excellent service. I would never have even known that 18-20% is standard in Orlando unless I had read this tread so please don't assume that those who tip less are just being cheap. They might honestly think they are leaving a good tip based on the standard where they are from. Just for the record, wait staff in my area make $3.00 an hour or less so after tips they still make over minimum wage which is 5 something an hour (could be 6.00 or so by now). That may not be a lot but most of the jobs in my area are min wage jobs and the cost of living here is lower so they are able to still earn a living.

2nd Quote: I really hope this was just meant for those who do not tip at all, not for those who cannot afford to tip 18-20% every time they eat out. I cannot afford to tip 18-20% every time and it will be hard on my budget to do so when we go to WDW (I will only do so if I receive good service). My DH and I are supporting ourselves and 4 children on only one income. I am unable to work because as I said, most jobs here are min wage and the cost of child care is more than I would make so I have to wait until my youngest goes to school to go back to work. We have saved every dime (literally) to just be able to take our kids to Disney for the 1st time. Are you (and others who have posted this) saying that you think my kids (who are also saving every dime to go) should not be able to eat one TS meal because we don't have the money to leave large tips regardless of service? We are only going to one character meal during the full week that we will be there. The rest of our meals, we will be cooking ourselves except for a couple of fast food meals. Why shouldn't my kids be able to have one nice meal with the characters on their one and only vacation? If we could eat a CS meal with the characters, we would. Don't worry, I will be leaving an appropriate tip though. If that means that I send Dh and the kids to dinner while I have a bologna sandwich at the hotel, that's what we'll do.

One more thing: Before I left my job to stay at home with the baby, I worked as an Advanced EMT--translation: I saved peoples LIVES for a living. When I left my job I was being paid $6.50 an hour. I worked 24 hour shifts and most of the time got very little sleep. Not only did I save the lives of others but I also put my own at risk on a regular basis. I have been involved in an ambulance accident (and many close calls) I have been hit, kicked etc. I have been shot at and that doesn't include all of the diseases I have possibly been exposed to. Did I get a tip for any of the nights I have been woken up at 3am to take someone who was clearly well enough to have walked to the hospital even though I went above and beyond to keep the patient comfortable while keeping a smile on my face? Of course not. In fact if I would have accepted a tip or any gift at anytime, I would have been fired on the spot. Why did I do this job for over 8 years? Because I LOVED it and I loved helping people. I knew the pay rate when I took the job. My pay did not increase (or decrease) based on the level of service I provided but I always did the best that I could, was always cheerful and friendly, and even did small extra things to keep my patients happy and comfortable so do I think that it is to much to ask that someone serving my food do the same and therefore EARN their tip? I think my answer is clear...

Perla, First I want to say that I am not meaning to single you out, only this portion of your post. There have been several other posts with similar comments but yours was just the easiest for me to get to.

About the 1st quote: I'm sure there are some ppl out there who do use this as an excuse to be cheap but there are some of us who truly do not know the "rules" for tipping in FL or in any other area away from where we live. I live in a very small rural area and have traveled very little. I have never tipped more than 15% in my home area. Now before everyone tells me how cheap I am, 15% is considered a good tip here. I have several friends who work in food services and they have all confirmed this. 10% is standard for average service and 15% is for excellent service. I would never have even known that 18-20% is standard in Orlando unless I had read this tread so please don't assume that those who tip less are just being cheap. They might honestly think they are leaving a good tip based on the standard where they are from. Just for the record, wait staff in my area make $3.00 an hour or less so after tips they still make over minimum wage which is 5 something an hour (could be 6.00 or so by now). That may not be a lot but most of the jobs in my area are min wage jobs and the cost of living here is lower so they are able to still earn a living.

2nd Quote: I really hope this was just meant for those who do not tip at all, not for those who cannot afford to tip 18-20% every time they eat out. I cannot afford to tip 18-20% every time and it will be hard on my budget to do so when we go to WDW (I will only do so if I receive good service). My DH and I are supporting ourselves and 4 children on only one income. I am unable to work because as I said, most jobs here are min wage and the cost of child care is more than I would make so I have to wait until my youngest goes to school to go back to work. We have saved every dime (literally) to just be able to take our kids to Disney for the 1st time. Are you (and others who have posted this) saying that you think my kids (who are also saving every dime to go) should not be able to eat one TS meal because we don't have the money to leave large tips regardless of service? We are only going to one character meal during the full week that we will be there. The rest of our meals, we will be cooking ourselves except for a couple of fast food meals. Why shouldn't my kids be able to have one nice meal with the characters on their one and only vacation? If we could eat a CS meal with the characters, we would. Don't worry, I will be leaving an appropriate tip though. If that means that I send Dh and the kids to dinner while I have a bologna sandwich at the hotel, that's what we'll do.

One more thing: Before I left my job to stay at home with the baby, I worked as an Advanced EMT--translation: I saved peoples LIVES for a living. When I left my job I was being paid $6.50 an hour. I worked 24 hour shifts and most of the time got very little sleep. Not only did I save the lives of others but I also put my own at risk on a regular basis. I have been involved in an ambulance accident (and many close calls) I have been hit, kicked etc. I have been shot at and that doesn't include all of the diseases I have possibly been exposed to. Did I get a tip for any of the nights I have been woken up at 3am to take someone who was clearly well enough to have walked to the hospital even though I went above and beyond to keep the patient comfortable while keeping a smile on my face? Of course not. In fact if I would have accepted a tip or any gift at anytime, I would have been fired on the spot. Why did I do this job for over 8 years? Because I LOVED it and I loved helping people. I knew the pay rate when I took the job. My pay did not increase (or decrease) based on the level of service I provided but I always did the best that I could, was always cheerful and friendly, and even did small extra things to keep my patients happy and comfortable so do I think that it is to much to ask that someone serving my food do the same and therefore EARN their tip? I think my answer is clear...

If you go out to eat and at least do not tip 15% for good service then I feel you should stay at home. I have party's or people who insist on paying for other peoples bills and leave a crappy tip after you have worked your butt off on the table. That is why they are adding in 18% at Disney, I have no problem with that, now if I happen to get horrible horrible service then I will say something. The thing with serving tables, the better you are at it the better the tips, not well I only make 6.00 a hour selling shoes why should you make more? If anyone is jealous that a server can make 10-12 dollars a hour, then I am sure your local restaurants are hiring servers. I don't mean to single you out, I have heard this coming from the boards before and just want to clarify. I know at Disney they make more then 10-12, but I don't care what they make as long as they do their job and take care of my table. We go to Disney on a budget as well, but I won't go to eat at a TS if I could not afford it. Also I see we are both from Indiana, 10% if not a good tip for good service, 15%-20% if a good tip for good service. Well off to get ready for my youngest 5th birthday today, thank goodness I made okay tips yesterday these party's add up!!!

mom2my3kids,

Not sure if my post was so long that you were unable to read it carefully or if it was that maybe it didn't come across in the way that I had intended but just in case I will try to clarify.

First of all do you think I should tip at least 15% for average service (at home) even though the standard tip in my area is only 10% for average service? The point I was trying to make is that the tip % is different depending on the area. Most wages for any job are based on the cost of living for that area. I know for a fact that those who do the same job as I did in other parts of the US make A LOT more than I did but I also know that the cost of living is higher there so they should make more.

2nd: Nothing in my post referred to those who obviously have the money (paying other's bills etc..) and just choose not to tip their hard working server. I was only referring to those who tip less than expected because they honestly do not know what is standard for the area and think they ARE tipping well and to those who are on such a limited budget that they are giving all that they can afford.

3rd: I have no idea where you came up with the jealousy comment. I said the reason I worked in the field that I did is because I loved it. It had nothing to do with money for me. I just enjoyed the job. If I wanted to do something else and make more money, I would. The restaurants that we have here usually do have openings but I love what I do so I plan to do the same thing when my son starts school. Also, as I said before, the wait staff here do not make much over min wage including their tips so that wouldn't help much.The reason that I mentioned my previous job is because I wanted to point out that just because someone works hard doesn't mean they are always paid what they should be. Is that fair? Absolutely not. There are many ppl who do not get paid what they should and wait staff are only a few of many who deserve more. That was my point. Not that I was jealous of them. If they are able to make twice as much as I do (or more) I'm thrilled for them. Yes, I wish I could make more money and still do what I love but that's not the case so I will settle for doing what I love because that's what works for me.

I did not saying anything about tipping based on how much they make compared to what I make. I tip based on service..PERIOD.

Maybe you would not go to a TS restaurant if you were unable to tip as much as others and that is your choice but this is a once in a lifetime trip for my children and I want to make it as memorable as possible for them. If it were just me or me and DH I would not go to TS anyway but this trip is about them. We are on a budget which is the reason we are only going to one TS meal. I did not say I wouldn't tip the 18%...What I said was that I will let my kids go to the meal even if it means that I have to miss it myself in order to afford the tip.

Since you live in Indiana, I'm sure you know that different parts of our state are VERY VERY different in how many and what types of jobs are available as well as the income levels. I know ppl who live in Indy and in NW Indiana and their wages are at least triple what ours are here for the same jobs and they have a lot more to choose from. The cost of living is also higher there so again, the tip % SHOULD be higher. I haven't seen anything in writing stating that the average tip here is 10% and above average is 15% so I cannot say that is our "law". I just based my info on what friends and family who work in that field have told me. My friend worked in the most expensive restaurant in our county (not high-end by most standards but the best we have) and she was thrilled with a 15% tip because it didn't happen very often.

You are right though, there are TS restaurants here that I could apply at. BOTH of them are just a few blocks down from our town's stoplight.

mom2my3kids,

Not sure if my post was so long that you were unable to read it carefully or if it was that maybe it didn't come across in the way that I had intended but just in case I will try to clarify.

First of all do you think I should tip at least 15% for average service (at home) even though the standard tip in my area is only 10% for average service? The point I was trying to make is that the tip % is different depending on the area. Most wages for any job are based on the cost of living for that area. I know for a fact that those who do the same job as I did in other parts of the US make A LOT more than I did but I also know that the cost of living is higher there so they should make more.

2nd: Nothing in my post referred to those who obviously have the money (paying other's bills etc..) and just choose not to tip their hard working server. I was only referring to those who tip less than expected because they honestly do not know what is standard for the area and think they ARE tipping well and to those who are on such a limited budget that they are giving all that they can afford.

3rd: I have no idea where you came up with the jealousy comment. I said the reason I worked in the field that I did is because I loved it. It had nothing to do with money for me. I just enjoyed the job. If I wanted to do something else and make more money, I would. The restaurants that we have here usually do have openings but I love what I do so I plan to do the same thing when my son starts school. Also, as I said before, the wait staff here do not make much over min wage including their tips so that wouldn't help much.The reason that I mentioned my previous job is because I wanted to point out that just because someone works hard doesn't mean they are always paid what they should be. Is that fair? Absolutely not. There are many ppl who do not get paid what they should and wait staff are only a few of many who deserve more. That was my point. Not that I was jealous of them. If they are able to make twice as much as I do (or more) I'm thrilled for them. Yes, I wish I could make more money and still do what I love but that's not the case so I will settle for doing what I love because that's what works for me.

I did not saying anything about tipping based on how much they make compared to what I make. I tip based on service..PERIOD.

Maybe you would not go to a TS restaurant if you were unable to tip as much as others and that is your choice but this is a once in a lifetime trip for my children and I want to make it as memorable as possible for them. If it were just me or me and DH I would not go to TS anyway but this trip is about them. We are on a budget which is the reason we are only going to one TS meal. I did not say I wouldn't tip the 18%...What I said was that I will let my kids go to the meal even if it means that I have to miss it myself in order to afford the tip.

Since you live in Indiana, I'm sure you know that different parts of our state are VERY VERY different in how many and what types of jobs are available as well as the income levels. I know ppl who live in Indy and in NW Indiana and their wages are at least triple what ours are here for the same jobs and they have a lot more to choose from. The cost of living is also higher there so again, the tip % SHOULD be higher. I haven't seen anything in writing stating that the average tip here is 10% and above average is 15% so I cannot say that is our "law". I just based my info on what friends and family who work in that field have told me. My friend worked in the most expensive restaurant in our county (not high-end by most standards but the best we have) and she was thrilled with a 15% tip because it didn't happen very often.

You are right though, there are TS restaurants here that I could apply at. BOTH of them are just a few blocks down from our town's stoplight.

I am from a small town in Southern Indiana, I won't say that you should not go to a TS meal at Disney if you can't tip. All I am saying is what is customary, now I see you are a party of six so it does not matter you will be charged the 18% anyway. I understand budget, as a family of 5 I live it everyday. Sorry I am very passionate about tipping accordingly for good service, as this is how I put food on my table. I pride myself with being a good server, but all in all you won't make everyone happy and can't change peoples mind. I hope you have a great time at Disney, its so much fun and I am sure you will be planning another trip soon..:thumbsup2

We have saved every dime (literally) to just be able to take our kids to Disney for the 1st time. Are you (and others who have posted this) saying that you think my kids (who are also saving every dime to go) should not be able to eat one TS meal because we don't have the money to leave large tips regardless of service?
I think that what people are saying is that the appropriate tip for good service is all part of the expense of the meal. You need to not only budget for the meal cost, but also the tax and the tip. Sadly, if you are not able to afford the cost of the meal, the tax and the standard tip then IMO you cannot afford the meal. There are, in fact, families who do not even do that single character meal because they cannot afford it. I can tell that you have been working very hard to make a magical vacation for your kids. I am sure you will have a great time.

GhostLady, I think you've got a good handle on tipping and are perfectly prepared to do what is necessary in planning and budgeting, so you leave an appropriate tip for the dining experience you want to provide for your children.

I think what others are saying is more directed to others who are prepared to leave no tip at all or a very small tip.

I broke down the numbers for your family to post here as an example - I am sure that you have these numbers committed to memory by now - this is more for others to see what the price difference is.

3 Adults - 2 Children - 1 Infant - Chef Mickey's Dinner
No Tip - $119.95
10% Tip - $131.95
15% Tip - $137.94
18% Tip - $141.54

The difference from a 10% to an 18% tip is just under $10 (Party of 6 would be required to tip 18%). I hope that nobody would miss out on the experience of seeing their children dine with the characters for the first time over $10. I am sure when budgeting a trip of the magnitude of Disney there are other places in the budget to trim $9.50 vs missing out on that experience.

Tricia ... you forgot tax and according to Ghostlady's sig (Me:crazy: DH:firefight DD(15):music: DS(13):rockband: DS(5):mic: DS(2):tigger:) she has 4 adults, 1 child and 1 infant. That's $135 pre-tax, $144 post tax. I think that she may actually end up paying 18% in an auto gratuity as she has 6 people (even though she's not paying for one).

I still think that Disney should not serve beer at its resorts or parks but that goes to another topic.

OK if they serve wine and martinis though? And those cool fruity drinks at the Polynesian? I'd go with that :thumbsup2

why should you pay more for a tip when you are dinning in a more exspensive restaurant-how crazy is this

Because in a more expensive restaurant, you expect a higher level of service. I would expect to be able to ask a server at, say, Flying Fish, to recommend a wine to go with my entree. At Trail's End Buffeteria it would be more like "What beers have you got?"

And yes, if you have six people or more in your party it's an automatic 18% tip at WDW restaurants, even if the party includes infants.

Just butting in my two cents...

I'm sorry to add more fuel to the fire but...
Just when was it decided to tip an exact amount? I know there had to be
a decision somewhere that made it "standard" to tip thie % for poor service,
this % for for average service and this % for excellent service, I'm just wondering where that all came from.

Before the wolves tear my throat apart I have been a waitress, a hostess and I have served in food services and other possitions where tips were not allowed. My confusion stems from the fact that at all my jobs I recieved the same minimum wage pay from my employers and I did the same level of commited work at each job. I served my guests as best as possible because that was what I was HIRED to do. I was not hired to just stand there and be a body in the room, I was hired to serve my customers and reperesent the resturaunt in the most positive light I could. Same with being a hostess, and the same with working in Clothing Retail and in Video Game retail. All the jobs required extremely positive attitudes and required incredible customer service skills in order to get customers to do the only thing my employer wanted - return for another meal/service.

My questions stem from this idea, who decided only waitress/food services workers are a tipped job and who decided it was alright to EXPECT a certain % of tip... that to me seems highly pompous. I know when I was working as a waitress that I would be greatful for any tip, be it $1 or $5. Seeing as it was more money than I was being required to be paid by my employer, anything is better than nothing.

So why should you, (or me) as a Table Service Staffer, only do excellent work in order to get tips not part of your regular contract with your employer? Isn't that what we were HIRED to do? Give great service to our employers customers? Far be it from me to dimiss the plight of the under paid waiter or waitress, but that doesn't mean I, the consumer, who is paying for a meal that is such and such price, need to cater to the panhandling like system that is allowing such under-appreciation to continue.

I have entered into NO contract with my server, therefore I am NOT required by any law or regulation to give them ANY Percentage of tip unless I deem it appropriate to the work ethic they have shown me.

Gratuity:
1. a gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop; tip.
2. something given without claim or demand.

Over and above payment due, and given without claim or demand. If you HONESTLY believe you are entitled to a tip, then you are most certainly incorrect. Nothing requires anyone to tip you. It is a GESTURE of thanks and a POLIET form of gratitude for a few service industries and their patrons. No limit or maximum is ever apropriate to display EXCEPT in instances of large groups, and rest assured consumers and providers of service, you CAN and are allowed to adjust that amount higher or lower based on service quality. No one can tell you how to tip, it is all about your personal experience in each instance and the quality of your time with the person you are tipping.

So, should you just not tip unless you are really wowed? I'd say always leave SOMETHING, and let the management know if you felt service was poor. The best thing you can do is let them know, leaving a poor tip wont change a persons attituted to a helpful one unless they know why they were not tipped high.

As a note I almost always tip 15% (standard here in oregon for good service) and when I see some one really going above and beyond the call of duty to make sure my experience is amazing, I will always award them appropriately. But for mediocre of poor service, I think it is at my discretion how high to tip them.

EDIT: I wanted to bring this back to the DDP, I wonder if people are using the price of the ACTUAL meal as their basis for tipping or the price they PAID. Nothing about the cost of food or plates or anything like that affects a server so however much you paid OOP or however you paid for DDP should b sufficient as far as tip if you are going buy the cost of food for your Percentages. This would also transfer to FREE DDP where you would then account for how much it WOULD have cost you to purchase the meals. I just wonder how that comes in to play... you may want to get a great deal out of your DDP, but you are still paying less... so that should reflect your tip... I'd imagine, though like I said I tip on performance.

Thanks for reading my rant, I appreciate your time :)

~Ally

Tricia ... you forgot tax and according to Ghostlady's sig (Me:crazy: DH:firefight DD(15):music: DS(13):rockband: DS(5):mic: DS(2):tigger:) she has 4 adults, 1 child and 1 infant. That's $135 pre-tax, $144 post tax. I think that she may actually end up paying 18% in an auto gratuity as she has 6 people (even though she's not paying for one).

Oops I missed the tax. That was completely on accident.

I did the comparison of the 10% tip to the mandatory 18% tip because she had stated that she may need to skip the meal and eat a bologna sandwich, and if that was what she needed to do that is what she would do. I wanted to illustrate the relatively small difference from an average tip where she is (10% of total bill) to an 18% tip in hopes she could find a way to make the meal work for the whole family.

Just butting in my two cents...

I'm sorry to add more fuel to the fire but...
Just when was it decided to tip an exact amount? I know there had to be
a decision somewhere that made it "standard" to tip thie % for poor service,
this % for for average service and this % for excellent service, I'm just wondering where that all came from.

Before the wolves tear my throat apart I have been a waitress, a hostess and I have served in food services and other possitions where tips were not allowed. My confusion stems from the fact that at all my jobs I recieved the same minimum wage pay from my employers and I did the same level of commited work at each job. I served my guests as best as possible because that was what I was HIRED to do. I was not hired to just stand there and be a body in the room, I was hired to serve my customers and reperesent the resturaunt in the most positive light I could. Same with being a hostess, and the same with working in Clothing Retail and in Video Game retail. All the jobs required extremely positive attitudes and required incredible customer service skills in order to get customers to do the only thing my employer wanted - return for another meal/service.

My questions stem from this idea, who decided only waitress/food services workers are a tipped job and who decided it was alright to EXPECT a certain % of tip... that to me seems highly pompous. I know when I was working as a waitress that I would be greatful for any tip, be it $1 or $5. Seeing as it was more money than I was being required to be paid by my employer, anything is better than nothing.

So why should you, (or me) as a Table Service Staffer, only do excellent work in order to get tips not part of your regular contract with your employer? Isn't that what we were HIRED to do? Give great service to our employers customers? Far be it from me to dimiss the plight of the under paid waiter or waitress, but that doesn't mean I, the consumer, who is paying for a meal that is such and such price, need to cater to the panhandling like system that is allowing such under-appreciation to continue.

I have entered into NO contract with my server, therefore I am NOT required by any law or regulation to give them ANY Percentage of tip unless I deem it appropriate to the work ethic they have shown me.

Gratuity:
1. a gift of money, over and above payment due for service, as to a waiter or bellhop; tip.
2. something given without claim or demand.

Over and above payment due, and given without claim or demand. If you HONESTLY believe you are entitled to a tip, then you are most certainly incorrect. Nothing requires anyone to tip you. It is a GESTURE of thanks and a POLIET form of gratitude for a few service industries and their patrons. No limit or maximum is ever apropriate to display EXCEPT in instances of large groups, and rest assured consumers and providers of service, you CAN and are allowed to adjust that amount higher or lower based on service quality. No one can tell you how to tip, it is all about your personal experience in each instance and the quality of your time with the person you are tipping.

So, should you just not tip unless you are really wowed? I'd say always leave SOMETHING, and let the management know if you felt service was poor. The best thing you can do is let them know, leaving a poor tip wont change a persons attituted to a helpful one unless they know why they were not tipped high.

As a note I almost always tip 15% (standard here in oregon for good service) and when I see some one really going above and beyond the call of duty to make sure my experience is amazing, I will always award them appropriately. But for mediocre of poor service, I think it is at my discretion how high to tip them.

EDIT: I wanted to bring this back to the DDP, I wonder if people are using the price of the ACTUAL meal as their basis for tipping or the price they PAID. Nothing about the cost of food or plates or anything like that affects a server so however much you paid OOP or however you paid for DDP should b sufficient as far as tip if you are going buy the cost of food for your Percentages. This would also transfer to FREE DDP where you would then account for how much it WOULD have cost you to purchase the meals. I just wonder how that comes in to play... you may want to get a great deal out of your DDP, but you are still paying less... so that should reflect your tip... I'd imagine, though like I said I tip on performance.

Thanks for reading my rant, I appreciate your time :)

~Ally

Yep we have heard this reasoning over and over and over again..Sorry but I don't think anyone who has served tables before would say I was grateful for the 1.00 tip a table of 4 left me when I gave good service.

mom2my3kids,

Too bad we didn't "meet" under different circumstances. Not only are we from the same area but it looks like we are going to WDW at the same time.
I do understand your passion and I totally respect that. If I come into your restaurant you can expect a good tip since you "pride myself with being a good server" because these are the servers that I do tip well. It's not hard to tell who is working hard to make sure I have a great meal and not because they expect a certain tip but because they take pride in their job. Maybe I didn't word my post the way I should have (I hadn't had any sleep) but I was not arguing about whether customers should leave a tip or the amount they should leave. I just wanted to point out that some ppl who leave less than 20% might do so because of lack of knowledge of the local tipping standards. When I said that I could not afford the tip, I didn't mean that I would not pay the 18%, I meant that I would have to cut my budget somewhere else.

I do know that as a party of 6, it will be included. I was referring to if I didn't go to the meal with DH and the kids, would then be a party of 5.

I also hope your family has a great time at the World. I'm sure you're right, we will be wanting to plan another trip soon and who knows maybe we will be able to. Money is tight right now but things could always change. If not, I'm thrilled to even be able to go once.

Tricia1972,

Thank you. Yes, I do plan to leave an appropriate tip at any meal that we attend whether it's included or not. I had never planned to leave a small tip or no tip at all. That wasn't even an issue. The whole purpose of my post was just to point out that there are other reasons why some might leave a less than standard tip. It doesn't always mean that they are cheap.
I don't plan to miss the character meal. I was just saying that I would if that were the ONLY way.
I'm sure most of the posts here are directed to those who purposely leave little or no tip even though they know it is much less than standard and they have more than enough money to leave an adequate tip. I am not defending that at all. I know a few of those ppl (used to be married to one and always slipped extra $ on the table after he walked away). I was just simply offering a couple of other reasons why some tip less. The only posts I took to be directed at me were the ones by mom2my3kids and yes I might have gotten a little too defensive but the jealous comment was undeserved. I didn't even mean for my original post to be about my situation even though it may have came across that way. I was only using my situation and experiences as an example. The reason I read this thread and others about tipping is because I DO want to know the standard tipping practices for WDW so I can make sure to include that in my budget. If not for this board I might have been very surprised when I got my check and saw the included 18% :scared1:

This was the point that I was trying to make when I mentioned my previous job. That even though my wages were low and would not change based on the level of care I provided, I still went out of my way to provide the best care I could with the best attitude that I could.

Yep we have heard this reasoning over and over and over again..Sorry but I don't think anyone who has served tables before would say I was grateful for the 1.00 tip a table of 4 left me when I gave good service.

I suppose, and I don't know your situation but I know that in my small town here in oregon (where I am blessed to have laws that require EVERYONE to recieve minimum wage including service workers.) Some people who want to go to resturaunts have too little extra cash to pay more than the meal, and in small towns... even poor people deserve a night out, whether they can pay you a lot for your service or not, you take what you get and you are thankful.

Income or wealth should not be a determiner of good service, if you can afford the meal, but only a little more for a tip, that shouldn't be a black eye on your character. Especially in these economically depressing times, EVERYONE should be thankful for EVERYTHING you get. Thats what my parents taught me, thats how I live and I will never not appreciate a gratuity towards me.

Thanks!

~Ally

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter