• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Tipping Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trina7020

Mouseketeer
When we were in WDW last week we had a total of 11 TS.

We in general left 18% at buffets and 20% at true TS

We spent about $170 in tips.

Of our 11 meals, the gratuity was mentioned one time. The waitress laid the ticket down and said, "Everything was included with your dining plan, except any gratuity you may choose to leave

I don't know... the way she said it didn't leave me with a bad taste or anything. It seems "Ok"

The closest thing we heard to referring to tipping was being asked to fill out the receipt and they would be back in a few moments.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised how smoothly the tipping went.

OK.. now here is my gripe. I am all for tipping, even 20%. Generally at home I tip 17-18%%. (lol b/c out tax rate is 8.5% and I always double that and round up!) But the way the prices are inflated at WDW, I don't think that our breakfast buffet servers did $11 worth of work. Even our LeCellier server, who was very good, didn't necessary do $25 worth of work. That is my only gripe... and even then.. oh well it's Disney... but I bet those servers make a killing!

your tipping experience sounds very similar to ours (except we tipped 20% everywhere...that's what we usually do anyway.) No one hassled us over tips either

I don't think we can assume that waiters at Disneyworld all make huge amounts, based on what appears to be extra large tips. First, not everyone tips 18-20%...and some don't tip at all. Second, if it's like most places, the waiter person has to split their table tips out with others including bartenders, bus people, etc. Also, I've been told that many of them are not getting full time hours, that just like everywhere else, for many in the food service areas, these are part time jobs while going to school, etc.

I was there May 3rd-10th and the only two places the tip was mentioned was Tutto Italia and California Grill. The waiter at California Grill made a joke out of it, so it wasn't bad, but the waiter at Tutto Italia came up just as my dessert was being served and point blank asked, "How do you plan to pay for the tip madam?" I hadn't even had a chance to take a bite of my dessert yet, so it left me with a bad taste. Plus he had disappeared for my entire meal, having someone else deliver the food and averting his eyes everytime I motioned for a drink refill, so I was already a little agitated with him. The only times he ever approached my table was when he took my order and when he came back to ask for his tip.

I'm already on a budget and wdw is turning out to be more expesnisive then i was hoping for. We plan to stay at value resort , basic park tickets and ddp package so i can put it on my disney visa. This is going the cheap way. Airfare is unbelievable from ca for a family of three. I didnt even include the tips in my budget to be so high0 guess i wasnt thinking. I think 18%-20% is high especially for those of already on a tight budget. Well i guess i better go back to the budget plan. I'm not going to charge any tips but will only leave cash. Would love to see another thread on how much people have paid in tips for their trips. BTW- I will be a first timer at wdw

A $25 tip calculated as 20% at a buffet means the meal cost $125.
An 18% tip would be $22.50.
A 15% tip would be $18.75.
Now, the "imagine what your experience would be like if your server didn't do at least the standard work expected from a server at a buffet" aside - it's your money. As long as there are fewer than six people in your party, you get to choose the tip percent.

I read something interesting recently: Always tip. Even if you got poor (or percieved poor) service, you got SOME service. Unless you had to set your table, get your drinks, go to the kitchen yourself, place your order, go back to the kitchen to pick up - and possibly garnish - your plates, bus your own table...

But, anyway, MY attitude for ME: I booked the Dining Plan package with full awareness of what iit does and does not include. That's my responsibility. I accept, and budget for, the conditions of the package I reserved.

I tip based on service, plain and simple. I don't care what the base wage is and I don't care what the going percent is. If the service I receive is excellent then the tip will reflect that, if the service is poor I am not leaving 18-20%. When you accept a job you should understand the pay scale and by this I mean they understand they will make a base rate of $3 per hour plus tips, which are based on service, of course there are some that will tip based on industry standard regardless of level of service.

My advice figure up 18% and budget for that. We have a family of 6 who traveled to Disney in April, so we have an automatic grat added to the bill, of 12 TS we only asked for the manager to adjust the tip at one dinner and that was Boma. We had to ask other servers for refills and ketchup. We saw her when we ordered our drinks and when we rec'd our check with a tip of like $28, no way. Now our server at Ohana and Narcossee's rec'd more than 18%, why, because they were excellent!

Tip what you feel is fair and stay within your budget and enjoy your first trip to Disney.

Zipping up flame suit now.

Just got back on Sunday, for 4 of us for 6 TS each (a 6 night stay) it cost about $180 extra in tips for the trip. Paid cash for tips. Didn't seem to miss the app. most places had fresh bread and Le Cellier had the great pretzel bread sticks. Did order the cheese plate from Rose and Crown and Crab Cakes from Cap't Jacks (couldn't pass up those apps).
Had a great time, wait staffs were all great, little or no wait for being seated.

I tip based on service, plain and simple. I don't care what the base wage is and I don't care what the going percent is. If the service I receive is excellent then the tip will reflect that, if the service is poor I am not leaving 18-20%. When you accept a job you should understand the pay scale and by this I mean they understand they will make a base rate of $3 per hour plus tips, which are based on service, of course there are some that will tip based on industry standard regardless of level of service.

My advice figure up 18% and budget for that. We have a family of 6 who traveled to Disney in April, so we have an automatic grat added to the bill, of 12 TS we only asked for the manager to adjust the tip at one dinner and that was Boma. We had to ask other servers for refills and ketchup. We saw her when we ordered our drinks and when we rec'd our check with a tip of like $28, no way. Now our server at Ohana and Narcossee's rec'd more than 18%, why, because they were excellent!

Tip what you feel is fair and stay within your budget and enjoy your first trip to Disney.

AMEN!!! ITA. when you accept the job, you go in knowing how much you will make plus tips. you have to know someppl will tip a lot, and some wont. I REFUSE to tip 18-20% for crappy service. flat out refuse. You ahve to earn your tip if you are my server. i always tip something regardless of service, but its NEVER an automatic amount with me. Especialyl at disney where I expect the best and am paying for overpriced food as it is. :thumbsup2

Did the manager at Boma give you a hassle when you asked to adjust the tip?

Our party has 9 people and we have made separate ressies at most places so the mandatory 18% will not be presented to us in bill form at the end of service. We have numerous buffet ressies and the consensus of the group was that we sit apart and pay what we feel service was worth instead of automatically being told what we need to leave. Most of us leave 18-20% for good service in the first place, but that is for each person to determine imo. There is also one person in our party that will be stretching to leave 15% so we will be picking up for her in any case we feel the waiter/waitress deserves more.

Our TA originally told us that all character meal gratuities were included on the free DP (we were on the same plan last year and she said that apps weren't included now nor were gratuities EXCEPT for character meals), had I not called and specifically asked this question we would've been walking out of the restaurants and not leaving anything. I know other people are going to be doing that having been misled to think it's included. Just my input on the situation.

I was there May 3rd-10th and the only two places the tip was mentioned was Tutto Italia and California Grill. The waiter at California Grill made a joke out of it, so it wasn't bad, but the waiter at Tutto Italia came up just as my dessert was being served and point blank asked, "How do you plan to pay for the tip madam?" I hadn't even had a chance to take a bite of my dessert yet, so it left me with a bad taste. Plus he had disappeared for my entire meal, having someone else deliver the food and averting his eyes everytime, I motioned for a drink refill, so I was already a little agitated with him. The only times he ever approached my table was when he took my order and when he came back to ask for his tip.

I may get flamed for this, but alas, whatever. I've been there, done that, and now I am on the other side of the tables so to speak.

I would of point blank asked him if he thought he deserved one, and I would of brought up all the issues you mentioned. I have REAL issues with poor service.

We did 15 nights on the DDP in May into last week. The tip was mentioned in that if we wanted to use our room charge to pay for it, we were told we had to add it on before he charged the credits. Also, we were using the Disney Dining Experience card many times for cocktails or salads and that brought up the issue alot as it was separate bill. But the tip was in with DDP. A couple of times early on we tipped twice for the food and beverage not included in the Plan not realizing that it had already been figured in the DDP tip. So that was really confusing.

Did the manager at Boma give you a hassle when you asked to adjust the tip?

No. not really. It was more of a concern to him why we felt the service was poor. After I explained, we had seen her for drink order and check, other than that we were catching other servers and hosts and asking for drinks and ketchup. I did tell him she was very pleasant because she was very nice but being nice does not mean she was doing her job as a server. When I have to sit and hear my 2 year old excessively whine "wheres the ketchup" for 10 minutes and after that give up because the server was no where to be found. Thats the first time I resorted to just asking anyone wih a uniform for help.

My oldest starts college this fall and will be unable to go with us for our Sept and Dec trip so we will be a party of 5. I look forward to not having the tip amount predetermined by the Disney CM union. Again as a whole our service was very good but Boma was just poor service. I have to say thats not the first time we have had poor service at Boma. We will be going to Boma 2/4 remaining trips this year, because of the hit/miss service it will no longer be
an every trip place for our group.

jenwndrlnd said:
Our party has 9 people and we have made separate ressies at most places so the mandatory 18% will not be presented to us in bill form at the end of service. We have numerous buffet ressies and the consensus of the group was that we sit apart and pay what we feel service was worth instead of automatically being told what we need to leave. Most of us leave 18-20% for good service in the first place, but that is for each person to determine imo.
If you treat them as absolutely separate reservations - don't check in together, don't request to be seated near each other, leave it all to chance - fine.

Just so you know...
Parties of six or more diners are assessed the automatic service charge.
If your party consists of at least six people and you all sit together, no-brainer. Automatic S/C.
If your party is seated at two or more tables but with the same server, again, automatic S/C.
If you sit at separate tables and have different servers, the tip is at your discretion.

I'm already on a budget and wdw is turning out to be more expesnisive then i was hoping for. We plan to stay at value resort , basic park tickets and ddp package so i can put it on my disney visa. This is going the cheap way. Airfare is unbelievable from ca for a family of three. I didnt even include the tips in my budget to be so high0 guess i wasnt thinking. I think 18%-20% is high especially for those of already on a tight budget. I dont mind tipping those that really deserve it a good tip, but $$25.00 for a buffet worker seems really high considering the high prices of some of the buffets. Well i guess i better go back to the budget plan. I'm not going to charge any tips but will only leave cash. Would love to see another thread on how much people have paid in tips for their trips. BTW- I will be a first timer at wdw
PM me and I will be happy to share some tips on getting deals on airfare from California, also where in California are you?

I agree with the fact that one should tip a good service. At the same time, it bothers me the fact that, nowadays, one seems to be obliged to tip ANY kind of service. Being tipped should not be an entitlement, but a reward for a job well done.

That said, I do have a question: We are travelling in September with the DDP, as a party of 4 (two adultts, two children). If I wanted to have the tips charged to my room key, must I announce it BEFORE I eat? Or when I do receive the check?

Thanks,

Luis

We charged all our tips to the room and it can be done when you give your key to be charged out for the DDP they will ask if you wish to charge the tip on that and you just say yea. Also if you get anything like alcohol bev. or appie then that can be charged to the room as well which is what we would do, and they also ask about that. its really easy actually

We charged all our tips to the room and it can be done when you give your key to be charged out for the DDP they will ask if you wish to charge the tip on that and you just say yea. Also if you get anything like alcohol bev. or appie then that can be charged to the room as well which is what we would do, and they also ask about that. its really easy actually

belleatheart,

Thanks for the info. So, when I do get the receipt I just give my room key as if it were a credit card?

Luis

If you want to leave cash as a tip instead of charging to your room key, do you have to tell the server first? This will be our first trip on site and we have free dinning. So I'm at a loss of what to do!
I'm trying to stay on a budget so I don't want my room charges to get out of hand!

I agree with the fact that one should tip a good service. At the same time, it bothers me the fact that, nowadays, one seems to be obliged to tip ANY kind of service. Being tipped should not be an entitlement, but a reward for a job well done.

Thanks,

Luis

Amen. I have tended bar and waited tables. Now servers expect a 20% tip for just showing up at your table, whether they provide you any service or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter