My Son's leg is infected

Even if it clears up and your doctor says he can go, will he be comfortable participating in the vacation or will he be in pain?

We leave for our Med cruise trip in 10 days. Over the weekend my son tore up his knee and shin and it got infected. The doctor started him on a 10 day course of oral antibiotic but if it doesn't work they say we may need to hospitalize him for IV antibiotics, which would be the day we leave.

Travel insurance and cancellation policies aside. If he is still showing signs of infection, will we be able to travel internationally? Is there likely a problem at the airline? International borders? The cruise terminal?
Ask the doctor to sign off on the insurance form, formally telling your son not to travel in his medical condition. This certainly isn't a safe time for your son to travel.

Talk to your doctor. This is really not a question for strangers on the internet.

She has.

The doctor started him on a 10 day course of oral antibiotic but if it doesn't work they say we may need to hospitalize him for IV antibiotics

and

We did tell the Dr about the trip and she is being as aggressive with the follow up, we go back in a couple of days to see how it is doing.

Her question HERE is based around:

I don't want to get to Barcelona just to have some customs agent not let him enter the country or something.

That's not a doctor question, unless the doctor travels as much as the people here do. It's a traveler question.

I literally cannot imagine living my life in such fear that a leg that was wounded not 3 or 4 full days ago would keep me from traveling in 10 days.

Not to mention, they have antibiotics on the ship and, spoiler alert, in Europe as well. And they have very good healthcare there as well. And it's often free (DH got seen at an urgent care and ER in England at no charge for instance).

She has.

and

That's not a doctor question, unless the doctor travels as much as the people here do. It's a traveler question.

I literally cannot imagine living my life in such fear that a leg that was wounded not 3 or 4 full days ago would keep me from traveling in 10 days.

Not to mention, they have antibiotics on the ship and, spoiler alert, in Europe as well. And they have very good healthcare there as well. And it's often free (DH got seen at an urgent care and ER in England at no charge for instance).

It isn't just a hurt leg at this point. OP described it as an oozing infection that the doctor said if isn't cleared up would require IV antibiotics.

Sure a small cut with a minor infection not going to worry about a trip in 10 days. infected area that is negatively affecting ones ability to walk and already has the doctor mentioning iv antibiotics very different.

OP has to go with their gut and what their child's doctor says. If doctor approves travel then great if not then I wouldn't push it even if customs won't be an issue or whatever.

Last edited:
You can have IV antibiotics administered in a hospital at a Medical Same Day Unit, if your hospital has one. Or you can have IV antibiotics administered at home thru VNA. I'm sure you have to "qualify" and, of course, always check with insurance. Just a note: many insurances won't pay for hospital stay antibiotic therapy because Medical day stay units are available.

She has.

and

I agree with you about staying positive. Most likely he will be fine in 10 days, but I would not travel if the oral antibiotics did not work. Skin and wound infections can be very serious. I won't even mention the horrible stuff I've seen that all started with an infection from a break in the skin. I also would not want to spend my vacation in a foreign hospital.

Talk to your doctor. This is really not a question for strangers on the internet.
This is good advice. If you do travel, I would ask the MD for a summary letter outlining the course of illness and treatment, including dose/frequency and route of medications he has been on as well as what he would be currently taking. Take copies of any recent xray reports and labs, including culture results. This would not be for customs etc but in case he would need treatment of any kind while traveling. A separate letter stating clearance for travel would be something else I would want just in case. If he is on prescription medications, I would have written scripts in addition to the meds in the original bottles for the length of travel plus extra in case I was delayed in transit.

Good luck and I hope the healing goes quickly.

In case you do make the trip, assuming you have travel ins, you may want to understand the policy really well as now and again an experience or two have been related here on Dis regarding using travel ins and what the wished they knew ahead of time. Since each policy varies with what documentation the ins company may need, you would need to read your policy, and possibly call the company. If there was a complication and Additional med care was needed (and possibly free as pp mentioned), you may have other travel expenses as an example. Just an encouragement to be knowledgeable for your situation.

Kids usually heal pretty fast esp with med intervention, so in 5 days you could be smiling and relieved!

I just wanted to say I am sorry your son has an infection and now you have the added worry of possibly missing your upcoming cruise. It's a double-whammy, and I am very sorry.

I work with wounds every day, and while I am by no means diagnosing your son, I just wanted to set your mind at ease that all wounds tend to "ooze." Is your son getting wound care? Wounds do best healing in a "moist' environment (meaning, keeping them covered with an antimicrobial ointment like bacitracin or Neosporin). Oral antibiotics will hopefully clear any infection up. If IV antibiotics are needed, I would use only as a last resort (your cruise is important, but using stronger antibiotic than necessary is how we end up developing super resistant "bugs"--your Dr. can always write that he's not clear to travel and you should be able to rebook your cruise when everyone is healthy). If you do go, make sure your son gets up and walks on the airplane every couple of hours, moves his ankle around (ankle pumps), and wears compression socks (after talking to your Dr.) to make sure he doesn't develop a blood clot. In fact, that is excellent advice for anyone who flies on a long flight, domestic or international, good health or not. Also, we've had many individuals who've been burned in foreign countries have no difficulty flying home with open wounds and limping (they all had to cross an international border and clear airport customs somewhere--wouldn't worry too much. Wound exudate, aka "ooze" is not infectious unless someone else has an open wound. Someone else is more likely to give your son "cooties" with an open wound than vice vera. As long as it's covered, everyone should be a-ok). Good luck and may the goddess of healing visit your household within the next few days!!! Keep us posted :flower1:

Our son was hospitalized 11 days prior to our cruise - he required IV antibiotics due to salmonella sepsis. He required 2 weeks of IV antibiotics and an additional 10 days of oral. After a week in the hospital we were able to go home and do our own IV antibiotics. They put a PICC line in his arm and I did the medication once a day - and flushed his line at night, he's 3 years old. Not saying this will be an option for traveling, but if your son needs to be hospitalized for IV or even sent to a walk in clinic for daily IV, you may want to inquire about this option. It allowed us to be 'normal' while still having him do daily IVs. I never even knew it was an option until our Infectious Disease DR offered it.

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions and advice.

I was a bit in shock yesterday and was having trouble evaluating what to do and wanted the travelers perspective if we would have bureaucratic trouble beyond our and our doctors judgment on the wound care.

Financially I am not concerned about cancelling, I've already contacted the insurance agency and they said if he has to be hospitalized or if the doctor won't certify him to travel we will be covered.

Emotionally I was grieving the personal loss of all the effort and planning that went into this trip. Besides the med cruise we are traveling on our own for a week before boarding and all of the reservations and tours and connections were a great labor of love that would all go to waste if we cancel.

I've worked through most of it and we are waiting to see and optimistic it will all work out fine. Of course if he needs to be hospitalized we will cancel. It'll break my heart but its what we will do.

If it clears up and we just have mobility issues I'll do whatever we can to make the best of it. Might have to cancel some walking tours and things but we'll adjust and carry on.

I work with wounds every day, and while I am by no means diagnosing your son, I just wanted to set your mind at ease that all wounds tend to "ooze." Is your son getting wound care? Wounds do best healing in a "moist' environment (meaning, keeping them covered with an antimicrobial ointment like bacitracin or Neosporin). Oral antibiotics will hopefully clear any infection up. If IV antibiotics are needed, I would use only as a last resort (your cruise is important, but using stronger antibiotic than necessary is how we end up developing super resistant "bugs"--your Dr. can always write that he's not clear to travel and you should be able to rebook your cruise when everyone is healthy). If you do go, make sure your son gets up and walks on the airplane every couple of hours, moves his ankle around (ankle pumps), and wears compression socks (after talking to your Dr.) to make sure he doesn't develop a blood clot. In fact, that is excellent advice for anyone who flies on a long flight, domestic or international, good health or not. Also, we've had many individuals who've been burned in foreign countries have no difficulty flying home with open wounds and limping (they all had to cross an international border and clear airport customs somewhere--wouldn't worry too much. Wound exudate, aka "ooze" is not infectious unless someone else has an open wound. Someone else is more likely to give your son "cooties" with an open wound than vice vera. As long as it's covered, everyone should be a-ok). Good luck and may the goddess of healing visit your household within the next few days!!! Keep us posted :flower1:

Important information; I was exercising while reading the threat so could not comment prior to that post. An antibiotic regiment is not an if 1 is good 2 is better process, developing resistance is very concerning. The OP discussed her concerns and plans with the physician and a plan was developed, she is scheduled for a follow-up pre 10 days which is clear indication the Dr. understands. The concern for my patient would be more to the fact traveling to a foreign country, aboard a cruise ship with an open wound and the risk of infection. While he is being administered antibiotic which we hope would lessen the risk, there always remains a risk for resistant strain and the open wound, even dressed, is a direct route.

As a PP stated, this is not your best forum for advise, consult with your doctor and use the Nurse or Doctor line at your clinic or insurance provider. Every case is unique and every patient's needs different, your Dr has your son's history and can see what works and what does not.

Good Luck with the wound.

She has.

and

And I disagree. The doctor can give her advice on traveling and whether or not he should, not whether or not they can get through customs. Health and safety not "Oh have him wear long pants so he can sneak through." It's like people on the parks board advocating wearing lift shoes so little Johnny can ride Space Mountain.

I was a bit in shock yesterday and was having trouble evaluating what to do and wanted the travelers perspective if we would have bureaucratic trouble beyond our and our doctors judgment on the wound care.

Financially I am not concerned about cancelling, I've already contacted the insurance agency and they said if he has to be hospitalized or if the doctor won't certify him to travel we will be covered.

Emotionally I was grieving the personal loss of all the effort and planning that went into this trip. Besides the med cruise we are traveling on our own for a week before boarding and all of the reservations and tours and connections were a great labor of love that would all go to waste if we cancel.

I've worked through most of it and we are waiting to see and optimistic it will all work out fine. Of course if he needs to be hospitalized we will cancel. It'll break my heart but its what we will do.

If it clears up and we just have mobility issues I'll do whatever we can to make the best of it. Might have to cancel some walking tours and things but we'll adjust and carry on.

It's good you're being proactive on this. I once backpacked with a teenage girl who had fallen out of a car (leaning against the door) two days before we went camping. Her leg was badly scraped and became infected. Her old-fashioned (stoopid) parents wanted to treat it with kerosene -- how barbaric! -- but couldn't find any, so they just left the road rash untreated and sent her on her way. Her leg was oozing so badly it stuck to her sleeping bag the first night. Fortunately we had two nurses in the group, and one of them (and her DH) hiked down the trail and into town for first aid supplies to debride and treat the wound. The girl ended up getting better care around the campfire than she did at home. We were afraid we'd have to carry her out of there, but she toughed it out, and the nurse gave the parents a stern lecture when we got home. OP, sounds like you're handling this much better than those parents.

OP, good luck with your son's injury. I took a very bad fall back in May leaving work. I was very embarrassing as well as extremely painful. I tore up a knee and really scraped by two hands. One of the wounds was to the bone. While I never had an infection, I did have serious wounds. I went to urgent care for treatment, but not until the day afterward. That is when they told me I should have had stiches.

Hopefully the antibiotic will work to clear the infection. But, don't be surprised at how quickly you son begins to heal. When I went to the follow up visit a week after my injury (I also ruptured an eardrum) they were pleasantly surprised how well everything was scabbing and healing. 10 days can make a huge difference.

Fingers crossed that you can take the trip

Best wishes for you and your son. So so sorry this happened.

Most of the time a physician can see how the response to an oral antibiotic is going to be within 24-48 hours of starting treatment. If things are looking worse today, you can have him be reevaluated today. If things are steady- not worsening or if they are improving, have him reevaluated tomorrow or the next day to ensure that the treatment is going well.

I am sorry that you are going through this, but we are so fortunate to have amazing medical care here in the US. The doctors are there to help you and your son through this (and you have a lot of supporters here on Dis boards!).

Last edited:

I'm, glad to hear the shock of it has worn off. Hopefully, the meds will work and travel will not be an issue.

I would not advise you to hide the injury. If his wound is still oozing and he has long pants on, then pants might stick. Not to mention changing of the bandage. I would advise getting a note from DR about injury, treatment and health to travel. That way IF more treatment is needed, any DR will know what has been done. The note will also come in handy if there are any meds you will need to travel with. The note might help in getting assistance in airports for mobility also.

Oh man, I hope the antibiotics kick in soon so you don't have to spend much more time worrying about this and I hope your son feels well enough to participate in all the excursions you planned. Sending pixie dust your way.
pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter